The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/)
-   -   Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/23419-review-led-headlight-conversion-bulbs-cars-bikes.html)

bhvm 27th September 2015 10:36 AM

Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes

10 Attachment(s)
Dear friends,
I had the pleasure of Playing around with various kinds of LED Headlight bulbs. These Bulbs are designed to mimic the Function of traditional Halogen Bulbs, But are much more efficient and extremely Bright.

Main benefit is that these shall also preserve the warranty as There is no Wire cutting (Cree) or High wattage problems.

I will let the pictures talk so you can judge the Differences and pick out the best Bulb. These work For Both cars and motorcycles/Scooters.

bhvm 27th September 2015 10:39 AM

Re: Review-Various kinds of LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs for Cars and Bikes

5 Attachment(s)
More Images-

RVSB 27th September 2015 12:38 PM

Nice info, where to buy? Will this fit halogen socket?

bhvm 27th September 2015 01:23 PM

You can buy such bulbs from Ebay.
Yes, they are designed to fit in standard halogen socket. However theres a huge difference in design and quality of these bulb so be careful when buying, only the CREE one is worth it.

RVSB 27th September 2015 03:05 PM

Giving some links for such quality bulbs will be helpful, not only to me, but everyone.

EDIT:
Like this: http://www.ebay.in/itm/White-3-Cree-...item3ab16d2624
?

bhvm 27th September 2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVSB (Post 464212)

No No! Thats a very crappy design.
See this-
LED Cree Headlight Bulb Replacement Shilan Brand 30W H4 Like HID Xenon EM | eBay

LED Cree Headlight Bulb Replacement Shilan Brand 30W H4 R15 Fazer CBR FZ CBZ | eBay

LED Headlight Bulb H4 30 Watt Turbo Cree LED Like HID Xenon | eBay

RVSB 27th September 2015 03:25 PM

Oh man!
They are too costly, I cant afford them.
I want cheaper alternatives for my Wego.

What about this: http://www.dx.com/p/h4-5w-102-smd-le...12v-pair-51110 ?
And this: http://www.dx.com/p/mz-h4-6-6w-led-c...0#.VgewUFVSuko

bhvm 27th September 2015 04:53 PM

anything below is not viable option.

and please especially stay away from those 'corn lamps' they're the worst, simply spraying light everywhere without a defined beam or pattern.

RVSB 27th September 2015 07:04 PM

I would like something below 1k or 700 rs.

bhvm 27th September 2015 08:20 PM

dear rvsb,
I'm afraid you will not find any decent solution below 1k for proper bulb. and I don't want to suggest you dopey Chinese bulbs.

I think 2k is a fair price considering that a good pair of aux lamps will cost 2k as well.

anyways if you want to keep headlights stock but mount nice spot lights, we have that option as well.

RVSB 27th September 2015 09:56 PM

I have the mudguard guards, I am thinking of mounting an aux light there, possible?

bhvm 27th September 2015 10:01 PM

a. picture shall help.

some more links-
U5 Cree LED Lamp 15W Projector Lens Auxiliary FOG Light FOR Yamaha YZF | eBay

CAR 20 Watt LED Auxiliary Spot Beam FOG Lamp Very Powerful Price FOR 1 PCS | eBay

RVSB 27th September 2015 11:33 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...2014/10/26.jpg

bhvm 28th September 2015 08:44 AM

somewhere around number plate or handlebars is the best Option. one could make some brackets that go into number plate screws.

Arijitb 28th September 2015 05:44 PM

I'm interested, but Ebay sellers is very low feedback. :confused:

Want to buy one piece to replace stock H4 60/55 watt of my CBR 250 - but there is no space for extra attachment.

BTW great thread.

bhvm 28th September 2015 06:17 PM

Hello mate, First thing you should do is talk to the sell, Get their mobile no or email and talk at length. ask the compatiblity and return policy.

all the sellers I've dealt with were quite good.

sachinkoli 29th September 2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhvm (Post 464182)
More Images-

Hi Friend,
This post sounds interesting.
Could you tell me whether this LED bulb supports AC Voltage ? because Headlight bulb setup in Honda Activa is directly connected to Alternator.
If it supports, then we really don't need any modifications and we can directly replace with H4 Halogen bulb.

bhvm 29th September 2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinkoli (Post 464425)
Hi Friend,
This post sounds interesting.
Could you tell me whether this LED bulb supports AC Voltage ? because Headlight bulb setup in Honda Activa is directly connected to Alternator.
If it supports, then we really don't need any modifications and we can directly replace with H4 Halogen bulb.

dear Sachin,
thanks for dropping in. infant I was about to ting you.
anyways, as we previously discussed, you will need a 2 channel bridge rectifier, one each for low and high beam.
you will also need a capacitor set for smoothing out voltage. let's me. dig out the pics for my diy of the same.

also, do you Have experience of HID kit on ac scooter as these appear to Have relays to draw power from Battery.

bhvm 29th September 2015 09:49 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Adding some WIP Pics of How I made 2 channel Bridge rectifier, Capacitors and heatsink.

sachinkoli 30th September 2015 12:07 PM

Hi Friend,
That's perfect modification using existing AC setup.
I've read on internet, some LED Bulb driver do support AC volt, it's just a matter of adding extra components of bridge rectifier by the manufacturer. Since these LED bulbs are flooded by Chinese manufacturer don't know which one is genuine and supports both AC/DC voltage. BTW we have a juggad for it :-).

I had installed HID kit 2 years back, but it sucks battery like a hell. Later I've to remove that because the HID ballast was conk off. I had replaced HID with LED Projectors, though it is directly connected to battery but LED's requires minimum current so not putting much strain on battery. It's working pretty good.

Hope, I may go for the same setup in future because AC headlight connection from alternator is idle.

bhvm 30th September 2015 01:15 PM

Hello again,.

1.I'm yet to see a bulb with proper rectifier and ac voltage. all.the bulbs I tested behaved funny on ac supply.

2. my next project will be to Power lighs through Battery (providing stable voltage even at low rpm ). I'm looking to modify the headlight output via some solidstate charger and connecting to Battery

this way the factory Headlight output won't be wasted.

3. hid kits are a good way to drain Battery because of very high initial draw. anyways they're on the way out as led have reached comparable brightness.

mandar7477 20th January 2016 06:44 PM

dear BHVM,
just read your post on led conversion. Nice work friend.
questions:
1 Where did you source the rectifiers from? Bought online or from local electronics shop?
2. cost of the rectifiers? capacitor cost is nominal, I was concerned about the rectifiers only.
3. can we get the led bulbs from the local market?

I would have liked if you had posted photos of the beam from your scooter at night, cause i am seriously considering converting my motorcycle to led headlights.[;)]

regards

mandar

bhvm 20th January 2016 08:26 PM

Hello mandar,
I'm glad you liked it.

1.rectifiers were ordered from eBay.
2. cost is quite cheap. 20rs or below. attach them to some heatsink for better life.
3. I haven't seen led bulbs in local market. I brought them from eBay.
4. I'm away from scooter for 10 days..I'll post when I come back to her. but believe me, the illumination is awesome.

mandar7477 21st January 2016 02:43 PM

Thanks bhvm for your answers. I will try to buy the said items on ebay but I ma not a kind of a guy who has facility to buy online, except COD.

Thanks anyways

regards mandar

Looking forward to see the beam quality of your scooter

regards
mandar

bhvm 21st January 2016 03:34 PM

dear mandar, I guess you can buy the rectifiers locally. just ask for an ac-dc rectifier in any electronics or Radio shop. make sure they're rated for above 50v and can handle upto 10 amps of current. More the merrier.

otherwise you can quickly make a full wave bridge using 4 simple diodes. (if you can't find a rectifier )
here-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

mandar7477 21st January 2016 05:07 PM

thanks bhvm,

yes, i know that i can make a rectifier at home by using diodes. But i would like to know what is the current capacity of the rectifier you used.

regards
mandar

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandar7477 (Post 483924)
thanks bhvm,

yes, i know that i can make a rectifier at home by using diodes. But i would like to know what is the current capacity of the rectifier you used.

regards
mandar

dear bhvm,

my bad , i did not read the next line. you have given the specs for the rectifier.

regards

mandar

bhvm 21st January 2016 08:17 PM

mandar, the rectifier I used is rated to handle upto 400v and 10 amps.

I've used 2 rectifer, one for low, one for high beam.

mandar7477 10th February 2016 02:35 PM

hi bhvm,

We all are waiting for the snaps of your led's.[:)]
its been quite a while since you are not here.

regards

mandar

bhvm 10th February 2016 04:52 PM

oh damm. pardon me.
I'll update you once I'm through my edu institute's annual function. too much work. sorry folks.

mandar7477 10th February 2016 06:52 PM

no problems bhvm,

just a reminder [;)],
on other do you teach in any institute, if yes, subject?

regards

mandar

manish12345 10th February 2016 07:11 PM

Hey, Bhvm is it possible to install these Led's to CB TRIGGER? Because it has AC current. As Hid won't work without coil rewinding. Can you suggest good Led for cb trigger.

bhvm 11th February 2016 08:12 AM

I own a small School in village, mandar.

Manish,
yes it's very much possible. you'll have to make ac- dc Voltage rectifier just the way I did. no leds or HID work on ac directly.

my pics are there on 1St. or 2nd page I think.

manish12345 11th February 2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhvm (Post 487203)
I own a small School in village, mandar.

Manish,
yes it's very much possible. you'll have to make ac- dc Voltage rectifier just the way I did. no leds or HID work on ac directly.

my pics are there on 1St. or 2nd page I think.

Ok, Can you give me the wiring diagram how to make these rectifier. Will Hid work now if i add rectifier because Currently I have a Hid kit in home!!

bhvm 11th February 2016 02:54 PM

1. me and mandar have already discussed rectifiers on page 2..please check. wires from vehicle go to ac input, then DC output is provided to the bulb. you need 2 rectifiers, one each for high and low beam.

2. I do not recommend HID for budget 2 wheelers as high startup draw tends to weaken battery and electronics. Electricals on bikes sold in India are horribly underdone.

mandar7477 19th February 2016 03:04 PM

dear bhvm,

yesterday i got a cyclops style led for my motorcycle. This is just for study, so was not wanting to spend a huge amount of money. Could you tell me how the light from these 3 led bulbs is, actually? As i saw it on your activa in the earlier post. Will it be better than my present halogen?

Now i might take some time to build the rectifier cause i need to go to the market and buy the rectifiers[:)]. and also get some time from my daily chores. but would definitely get some snaps of the light completed

regards

mandar

bhvm 10th April 2016 05:16 PM

1> If your cyclops LED is something like with all 3 LED pointing forward with Torch like reflector, The beam will be well... Torch Like. There is no True High or Low beam in These. Output will be quite narrow and unsafe.

2>Look for lamps with LEDs pointing upwards in Reflector (low beam) & Other LED pointing Downwards or side. This is High beam.

rg27 22nd April 2016 12:47 PM

hi bhvm,

nice informative thread! im in this constant dilemma over whether or not to switch to LED's as headlamps or stay with the stock lighting on my motorcycle. The current light output is dismal with the AC. i was however able to get some more spread on the low beam by adjusting the headlight's reflector to point it at its lowest level but light doesnt seem enough...
i started playing with these led bulbs (on a smaller scale) - replaced the Parking/position/pilot lamps on my bike from the 5W stock to
1) 1.5W T10 5 * 5050 type LED bulb
and later to
2) 3W T10 6 * 5630 type led "projector" bulb.
"projector" because they had these small lens type thing at the end. (and yes these were bright!!)

1) cost me 30 rupees each(local shop) and 2) cost me ~ 80 rupees each (ebay)

I used the 1.5W leds for a week or so..nothing happend and then i replaced them with the 3W ones, and replaced the tail license plate light ( running on DC) with one of the 1.5W bulbs.

I was like [cheers] after the swap.. becos i did not do any wiring change.. just plug and ride..
2 days later one of the LED's stopped working. [frustration]
i took them both out and found that the plastic housing had a hole generated on one side (happened for both LEDs, but one of the led's was still working)

im confused how this happened...

Was it because :
1) the heat from the LED's melted the plastic directly?
if so, why was the plastic melted just at one location and not uniform?

i went a bit further and took out the plastic housing and found that the rectifier had become tandoori-rectifier

so,

2) maybe, since AC current is being fed, and for half a cycle the LED's were not going to function during this time,
--> the resistor was being overloaded with the extra current (or voltage?.. pls correct me),
-------->and so the resistor burnt out first causing some plastic melt..
------------->, and then caused the led's to draw more current causing more heat leading to more plastic melt, till the led's themselves failed?
https://tinypng.com/site/output/roel...jpg/%24_12.JPG

i'll post some pics of the bulbs a bit later, but just want to know if i do the coil rewinding and convert my bike to full DC and use the same set of pilot bulbs, will i run into the same problem?... was the problem with the nature of voltage input being AC? or the build quality of the bulbs with lack of proper heat sink?
[confused]
thanks

rg27 22nd April 2016 01:44 PM

btw, about the bridge rectifier that you used, i read from this source that for small voltages, the bridge rectifier would be a bit inefficient due to the voltage drop across the diodes..

pardon me if i've missed out something..:P

bhvm 22nd April 2016 04:09 PM

rg27,
Let me reply you one by one.

1. All the LED commercial Products available are Crappy (Bhangar) In design. India is a Hot country, In this case we need very nice heavy heatisnks for these to work. problem is, manufacturers are using plastic to save money & Weight.
I have designed LED lightbars for home use (on solar 12v). Entire Body is made of Aluminum heat sink. The design life is about 60~70 years. 10 years have already elapsed with zero faults.

2> Perhaps the culprit is AC current. Which means the inbuilt diodes were working very hard to block the flow one way. A diode drops about 0.7v when doing this. The losses are converted to heat.

3> Second issue could be poor quality or Faulty voltage regulator. Perhaps you won't feel much on Incandescent bulb, but LEDs are very sensitive to voltage. Many product designers forget that Automotive "12v" is actually 14~14.8v and NOT 12v. If your bike voltage goes above 14v when revving high, it could fry the LEDs.

4> Bridge rectifier is slightly inefficient (Well, any converter is). But its nothing as you have converted from 35W~55w halogen bulb to 10~20w LED. you actually saved some power in reality.
0.7v at 1.5A (1.5A @ 13.2v=20w LED) comes to 1w of losses. [roll]

5>I'm having good success with the cree Genuine LED bulb. Thanks to custom rectifier & Capacitors.

bhvm 24th April 2016 10:56 AM

Drove 3 hours continious with CREE LED h4 bulb on my i10. The performance is good and beam pattern is accurate. I am assured about the quality & Reliability of these bulbs.