The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/)
-   -   Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/23419-review-led-headlight-conversion-bulbs-cars-bikes.html)

bhvm 2nd March 2017 06:16 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkn13 (Post 528251)
Any easy fitments for Innova(the model just before Crysta) and 2011 City?
My dad got some white lights installed in the empty foglamp space(not sure which brand etc, not an expert on this)
He does alot of highway driving and wants a headlight upgrade to "white lights" :D
Criteria- OEM look and feel, minimal work etc
City upgrade isnt necessary but I want to know about it so that I can think about getting it done :D

My concerns are reliability,shouldnt blind anyone, should feel OEM like the Germans and even Baleno,Ignis,Tucson etc which get them

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarath01 (Post 528859)
Hi Guys! Its been long time! Just wanted to upgrade my '15 city headlamps for better vision at night. I'm in love with the LEDs and drool whenever i saw one pass by me. Can i get the same output from leds without using the HIDs? There are lots of products in Aliexpress for HB3 and H11 specification. It would really help if you guide me to the right one. I prefer white as it looks cool and complement my DRL pretty much. FYi im running 55w/60w currently without any relay dont know the brand but not the stock bulb. Can check if needed. I donot have fog lamps and interested in getting white one too.

Gentlemen,
Although "White" Lights look cool, they are just about the worst possible color for Automotive (or any other!) Illumination. Unless its impossible to obtain good quality light bulb in 4300k, I will suggest staying away from white.
Details here-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ll-w-pics.html

Quote:

Why 4300K?, I thought the Blue-white lights are Brightest!?

I 've done research with osram Sweden team on CCT and CRI. interestingly, 4300k light is very close to the spectrum of sunlight we get (around 4100k to 4800k depending on season ). our eyes are optimized for this sunlight spectrum.

on the other hand our eyes are not optimized for 6000k or 8000k as they generate much more blue- uv content. not only it's faitguing for the oncomer but to oneself as well. it looks brighter because it's actually irritating our eyes.

Think how a jackhammer or drill gun sounds louder than typical loud music although music might have more decibels.
Do let me know the bulb base standard from your user manuals so I can suggest decent LED bulbs.

kkn13 3rd March 2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhvm (Post 529268)
Gentlemen,
Although "White" Lights look cool, they are just about the worst possible color for Automotive (or any other!) Illumination. Unless its impossible to obtain good quality light bulb in 4300k, I will suggest staying away from white.
Details here-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ll-w-pics.html

Do let me know the bulb base standard from your user manuals so I can suggest decent LED bulbs.

By white I meant the stock looking ones which come standard on certain cars not the blinding type
Ill check the stock bulbs and tell you
How is reliability etc? any issues ?

Sarath01 3rd March 2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhvm (Post 529268)

Hi bhvm,

Its HB3 9005 60W for high beam and H11 55W for the low beam. Fogs are the same H11 type similar to low beam. Can I just use WHITE as fogs atleast?[cry] BTW New City headlights look really cool when lit up!

bhvm 3rd March 2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkn13 (Post 529312)
By white I meant the stock looking ones which come standard on certain cars not the blinding type
Ill check the stock bulbs and tell you
How is reliability etc? any issues ?

Buddy, If you are talking about the Stock LED matrix headlamps coming with BMW, Audi etc.. its a totally different game!.

They use Osram Dragon Chips, Along with special projectors, Lenses and Light guides. I do not think anything like that is possible DIY.
Even new Innova with LED low beam came with projectors to shape the beam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarath01 (Post 529320)
Hi bhvm,

Its HB3 9005 60W for high beam and H11 55W for the low beam. Fogs are the same H11 type similar to low beam. Can I just use WHITE as fogs atleast?[cry] BTW New City headlights look really cool when lit up!

If you want Car to Look "COOL" when lit up, better invest in decent DRL sets. These can be white. but its better to stay away from any blinding white lights for main Lighting.

Guide-
DIY LED DRL (Low cost and No-Drill approach)

DIY 2-Wheeler/Bike LED DRL

LED bulbs-
UGLARE - Latest Invention 45W 4300K 4500LM 9005/HB3 LED Conversion Kit | eBay

UGLARE - Latest Invention 45W 4300K 4500LM H8/H9/H11 LED Conversion Kit | eBay

Sarath01 3rd March 2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhvm (Post 529324)
If you want Car to Look "COOL" when lit up, better invest in decent DRL sets. These can be white. but its better to stay away from any blinding white lights for main Lighting.

LED bulbs-

I am using flexible drl tubes fixed inside the headlamps sorry for not mentioning earlier! You see yellow light doesn't go(look) well with the white drls. Thats the reason I wanted to change it to whites. These bulbs are costly but looks efficient! Can you suggest me a better alternative ? I'm okay with Aliexpress too. If its not effective ie. changing halogen bulbs to LEDs for headlamps, I will have to install and change the fogs to complement the drls.

bhvm 3rd March 2017 02:44 PM

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIGH...9-275d8d27c7d7

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Auxm...9-275d8d27c7d7

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs...9-275d8d27c7d7

kkn13 3rd March 2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhvm (Post 529324)
Buddy, If you are talking about the Stock LED matrix headlamps coming with BMW, Audi etc.. its a totally different game!.

They use Osram Dragon Chips, Along with special projectors, Lenses and Light guides. I do not think anything like that is possible DIY.
Even new Innova with LED low beam came with projectors to shape the beam.

Guide-
DIY LED DRL (Low cost and No-Drill approach)

DIY 2-Wheeler/Bike LED DRL

LED bulbs-

So any retrofit/aftermarket options that are reliable and wont have issues such as blinding etc?

bhvm 3rd March 2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkn13 (Post 529346)
So any retrofit/aftermarket options that are reliable and wont have issues such as blinding etc?

Send the picture of your headlight as well as User manual with details regarding Bulb bases & Power.

Sarath01 4th March 2017 12:13 AM

Thank you so much bhvm. I've ordered Oslamp led bulbs of similar spec from Aliexpress. Let's hope it performs as described. I'll update with pics after installation. Thanks again!

rg27 12th March 2017 07:20 PM

Hi bhvm!

My LED bulb ran into a tragedy this week :(

Gave my bike for service at the suzuki service center and they took 3 days for the repair works and it was irritating, since they mentioned problem after problems and after a painful wait, i took it but later found that the H4 LED was stuck on high beam!.. The low beam would just not work! :( to check the hi-low switch, i used the regular halogen H4, and it was working, so switch is okay. Fault is with the bulb set.
These service center guys had reverted back the wiring without even asking me and had run the LED's on A/C supply!.. i had bought 2 3W T10 LED's (very bright and good quality ones) and both of them had their resistors fried becos they did this connection change! :(

Have you played with any of the LED drivers you had? what could be the problem in my LEDs?. All 3 LED chips are working, but the High-Low is just not getting passed to the bulb. Any ideas?

bhvm 13th March 2017 12:03 AM

Oh dear.
Thats sad indeed. Perhaps the live AC messed up the driver. I haven't opened any driver yet. Because they're fully potted and waterproof. Removing the waterproofing is as bad as breaking the circuit itself.

T10 resistors can be replaced if chips are actually fine. Not so easy about Headlight LEDs though. Your best bet would be to carefully open the driver and see if something is obviously burnt or shorted. Try it if you don't mind the risk.

rg27 13th March 2017 11:36 AM

Yes, I tried opening the driver, but the interior was packed firmly with i think silicone sealant. I contacted the seller to see if i can claim anything under warranty. He asked me to "cut the wires and show us" so that he would send a new piece!
I've asked him clarification regarding the shipping, costs if any and if i need to send the damaged kit physically or anythin... let me see how it goes. Will update on progress!

Prakritij 21st March 2017 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The LED headlight bulbs mentioned in this thread have some type of heatsink in the form of fan or the likes.
In my Car'e headlights, there's a metal clip to hold the bulbs in place as shown in the pic. The clip has to be unlocked, then the bulb is to be placed in place and the clip is to be locked in place while changing the bulb. I think this will interfere while installing the LED bulbs because of the heat sink. An if the clip is not locked, the bulb will come out.

Is there any way around this?
thanks

bhvm 21st March 2017 02:35 PM

Prakritij, Most bulbs can be separated from the heatsink. Some have adapters. Some have threads.
You just install the bulb holder "RING" first. Your metal clip will secure this ring.
Then the bulb can be screwed from behind into this RING.
Atleast thats how it is in my Cree bulbs.

Prakritij 21st March 2017 02:58 PM

Got it. I didn't knew that bulbs could be separated from the heatsinks.
Thanks for the clarification