The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/)
-   -   Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/23419-review-led-headlight-conversion-bulbs-cars-bikes.html)

AjNomad 27th December 2016 05:48 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
bhvm,
Sorry to be a pain, but what do you think of these from the tdautoz shop on ebay:
UGLARE - 55W 5000K 5500LM HB3/9005 LED Headlight Conversion Kit
They say 5000k, not 4300, and there's a built in fan - which I'm sceptical about.
Would greatly appreciate your expert comments.

bhvm 27th December 2016 06:07 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Hello,
Yes. They do make sense. Did you say your Low beams were H11? Because upgrading low beams first makes most sense. If you're still unsatisfied, you can go with high beam upgrade.

Hence, I suggest you look here-
UGLARE - Latest Invention 45W 4300K 4500LM H8/H9/H11 LED Conversion Kit | eBay

These are LED bulbs for H11, In 4300k Color.

A higher powered version is here-
UGLARE - Latest Invention 55W 4300K 5500LM H8/H9/H11 LED Conversion Kit | eBay

I aways recommend 4300k over 5500k or anything above that, as Higher kelvins are more fatiguing to the eye and generate more glare. You do not need AC ballasts if you are using an LED kit. Ballasts are inbuilt.
___________________________________
On the sidenote, I assume your Pajero has Projectors for low beam?
The combo of a very nice 4300k HID kit with sharpness projector is too good to let go. Here-
HID Xenon 55+55W H8 H9 H11 Car HeadLight Conversion Kit, 4300K 2Set/Lot | eBay

Prices are good too. You need AC ballasts with these. They're included in the package.
BTW these are from a new seller that I do not know.

_______________

For a much distance vision, You need high beam assists as below-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...-required.html

faisal_merchant 28th December 2016 10:31 AM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Hi bhvm,

I own a Honda Activa HET 2013 make (Non 3g). I am interested in implementing your idea of installing 55/60w bulb (from your post on instructables.com) on my scooter, however, the vendor said 55/60w bulb would drain the battery quickly.

I had shilan 30w CREE 6000k LED which broke, I bought it for Rs 1100/- they are quite expensive now. They lasted for good 2 years. I have reverted to stock 35w bulb.

The LED was setup to turn on when the keys were turned on, even if the engine wasn't on.

I have a pair of Bosch horns and all the other things are stock setup. My daily usage is 45-50 kms, out of which the headlight remains on for 22 kms (Either during night or early morning). I normally travel at 45-50 kms/hr on the highway.

Kindly advice if battery would get charged properly and rest of the stuff would work?



Thanks in advance.

AjNomad 28th December 2016 11:05 AM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Thanks, bhvm

So I think the combo is the way to go.
It's also at a great price.
Yes, the low beams are projector.

I'm ordering it and will let you know how it turns out.

bhvm 28th December 2016 04:47 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by faisal_merchant (Post 523365)
Hi bhvm,

I own a Honda Activa HET 2013 make (Non 3g). I am interested in implementing your idea of installing 55/60w bulb (from your post on instructables.com) on my scooter, however, the vendor said 55/60w bulb would drain the battery quickly.

I had shilan 30w CREE 6000k LED which broke, I bought it for Rs 1100/- they are quite expensive now. They lasted for good 2 years. I have reverted to stock 35w bulb.

The LED was setup to turn on when the keys were turned on, even if the engine wasn't on.

I have a pair of Bosch horns and all the other things are stock setup. My daily usage is 45-50 kms, out of which the headlight remains on for 22 kms (Either during night or early morning). I normally travel at 45-50 kms/hr on the highway.

Kindly advice if battery would get charged properly and rest of the stuff would work?



Thanks in advance.

Hello Faisal,
1. Please read here for more details on LED bulb on 1st page
Even I have upgraded to Cree 30w LED bulb. Its a very good upgrade.

2. I do not think Bosch horns will drain the battery as they're not being used continuously.

3. Do consider converting meter bulbs, Turn signals etc to LED as they may save some power. However the gains will be only mild.

4. 55/60w Bulb does not drain battery even after 20 mins of usage as long as its being powered by default wiring (From alternator) . However if wiring is direct to battery (As you suggested) it will drain the battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjNomad (Post 523366)
Thanks, bhvm

So I think the combo is the way to go.
It's also at a great price.
Yes, the low beams are projector.

I'm ordering it and will let you know how it turns out.

Sure.
Do shoot a mail to the seller asking if they're compatible for pajero. He has created a single listing for H8/9/11.
You need H11.

AjNomad 28th December 2016 05:32 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
He's just replied saying it's the same fitting for H8, H9, H11.

So, let's wait and see how it goes.

Alpha 28th December 2016 08:44 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhvm (Post 523405)
3. Do consider converting meter bulbs, Turn signals etc to LED as they may save some power. However the gains will be only mild.

One thing I would like to add as per my experience :

When converting turn signals to LED, the bulb will (in most cases) not blink like the stock setup and will remain ON because of the power difference between the two. There is a seperate flasher module you'll have to add but since it is not used widely, getting a decent quality module is difficult. Plus, the LED bulbs you get for turn signals are forward-facing/focussed which means the reflector will not be used totally as in stock setup (the LED emit light outwards away from reflector) which effects its brightness. So it is better to stay stock with indicators. For meter lights, it is fine to switch to LEDs.

To give a better idea (to bhvm) for more advice, the Activa in question uses a puny 3 Ampere battery. Instead of experimenting with turn signals, etc., judicious and careful use should be better to save power. I am against 55/60 in small two wheelers, LED headlight makes more sense without any need to save battery, etc. as the bulb uses lesser power than stock.

@faisal_merchant I have worked a lot on 2013 HET Activa in the past years, if you need any advice in doing small DIYs which involve removing the panels, do let me know.

Regards,
Alpha

silverjet 5th February 2017 10:58 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Very informative thread, bhvm.
The passenger side Philips Xtreme vision bulb on my Verna is dead and I decided to go for LEDs this time. I researched a bit but I'd like to know your opinion. Can you please link me a good h4 LED kit. I saw the previous link you posted but it is 6000k (I'd prefer 4300/5000k) and the price currently seems higher than you mentioned earlier.

bhvm 6th February 2017 03:45 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Hello silverjet,
I'm glad you liked the thread. Its true that all these "Premium" halogen bulbs suffer short life due to hotter filaments & bluer coatings. Its great you decided to move on to LEDs.

LEDs these days come with small coloured stickers that allows you to tune the color.

A very good option with Low beam Glare shields-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CREE...634398453.html

Regular Cree option-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-P...681657142.html

silverjet 6th February 2017 05:20 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Thank you for the links! I do not have any previous experience with aliexpress. How much time does it take to ship from china? don't want to keep driving with 1 low beam :P
plus do I have to pay import fee or is it included in the price?
Also, you say that the new bulbs come with a tint for changing color temp. Is there any bulb with produces 4300k without any tint (is that even possible or all LEDs produce same base color temp?). I found this and this which does not seem to have any tint.

bhvm 7th February 2017 08:04 AM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
1. actually I couldn't find appropriate model on eBay so I gave aliexpress links. importing usually takes 1 month and there is no import duty because items are marked as 'gift'. however everything depends on mood of customs officer so there's some ambiguity there.

2. yes why not. 4300k leds are directly available but they're priced high and their demand is usually very low. because people want the bluest kind of lights!

Finding good beam pattern in those 4300ks is difficul.

3. the links you showed bulbs do not have any glare shields, and leds are placed in wrong position. giving glare.

silverjet 7th February 2017 11:04 AM

Ok I think I will order the first link you posted (the second one shows 404 already). I have a few doubts tho. The listing clearly states that the bulbs wound not fit in cars with dust covers and Verna has one. So,.. will it fit?
It also states that there will be error message in cars with can bus system - does that affect Verna?
Finally, it looks like it is a 30w bulb. The stock bulbs are 55/60 so it would easily handle a 60w led bulb, won't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by allhyundaicars (Post 512336)
Hi bhvm. Were you able to fit back the bulb cover at the back of the housing ? I don't think the cover will close after the led is installed ? If we don't close it the dust and water will go inside the headlights ?

Did you successfully installed this in your Verna and did the dust cover fit?

allhyundaicars 7th February 2017 12:15 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverjet (Post 527234)
Did you successfully installed this in your Verna and did the dust cover fit?

No i didn't install them and are sitting in my almirah. I noticed that figo has different dust covers like the one in ss below. Will take the bulbs along at the 3rd service.

bhvm 7th February 2017 12:36 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Gentlemen,
1.Sometimes dust covers have to be cut a bit for Bulb heatsinks to work.
However, I was able to put back i10 dust covers without any cutting.

2. I do not think Verna has Canbus system. Usually VW, BMW, Audis have one.

3. Stock bulb is 60w max, these LEDs will be 30W max. You are putting only half the strain of original bulbs. Shouldn't be a problem.

allhyundaicars 7th February 2017 12:46 PM

Re: Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars and Bikes
 
Yeah verna has similar dust covers like the i10. The canbus system / pics I uploaded above are similar to the new gen figo i have.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2017, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.