Sun Shades Review: Your Answer To Sun Film Ban!

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello there!

Indian Govt is quick to pull the trigger on hasty and even stupid Laws.
The Sun Film ban was not any different. India is a Temperate country where Temps reach 45.c, and here is the Govt banning sun shades so we may have a very nice tan on our skins after a ride. Actually I suffered that personally, The right hand burns during direct sun light. I don't know why Indian public faces such idiotic laws at times.

The law.
Its for the women's safety they said...
But what actually happened now that Bikers, Truck-wallas and Rikshaw-wallas got a direct view inside. Perhaps on the women and their belongings. Thieves may be able to lay their cursed eyes on valuables in the car.
Well, When my woman said that she feels uncomfortable amongst the peering and staring of people on road, I had to take in seriously. Off to ebay.

Buying Experience.
Horrid for the start. When the sun shades came in, They came in Torn. I immediately raised a claim with ebay (within Half hour). Now let me rant a bit about piss poor ebay service. Once you raise the claim, It takes a good 10 days for them to call you up and confirm (They usually call in odd hours like Lunch time etc). If you miss the call, your Claim will be immediately closed and cannot be re-opened. Please do not believe on words Like "Ebay gaurentee" "Don't worry Buy happy" or "Purchase Secured with Paypal" Its all fake. When things go wrong, They will simply put your issue to the bin with a simple, robotic email, and forget about it.

After Ebay put their Hands up, I sent a note to the seller and he Immediately agreed to help. So I paid about half the price of Product as shipping and sent them back to Delhi. The seller Instantly sent me a new set. Overall the Purchase took 32 days. Good god.

The Product.
Its a simple but innovative thing. There's a net fixed around metal Wire with some Square magnets around corners. When you hold the Product at the window frame, The Magnet simply sticks to the door. Simple, Effective.

I Found daytime visibility very good. It sure reduces the heat/ Sunlight entry and by hands don't burn anymore![clap]. However make sure you remove these during Night rides.

Other Benefits of the product include-
> Can roll down windows for a insect/ Mosquito free ride while enjoying outside breeze.
>Adds privacy to ouccupants
> Does not come under "Sun Films" So is in the grey area of Law
> Can be removed without a trace.

Price-
Brought for Rs.1200 for 6 shades. Got a Mobile charger free. For any Auto-related stuff, Make sure you visit-
volgaautomotive on eBay

He's very co-operative guy. Solved all my issues.

P.S- Middle window has no sun shade for your comparison.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Magnetic Sun Shades- Your answer to the Sun Film Ban!

Nice article bhvm!! Was in two minds whether to order or not for my Honda city !! Read your review and now Im satisfied.Will order on Monday. One question though can you roll down a window and drive with this sunshade still on?? Wind ??

hi bhvm, the ban is not limited to films. It defies the very purpose of having the ban in place. Excerpt from an article : "According to SC judgment on sun control films, any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is not permissible. The judgment says, 70 per cent and 50 per cent Visual Light Transmission standard, is relatable to manufacture of safety glasses for windshields, and side windows respectively. ASP traffic Anjana Tiwary said "It has been clearly stated in the SC judgment, that any external material applied on wind shields and side windows is impermissible. Those who thought that after removal of dark films from their car windows, they would be allowed to use window shades were wrong. With increasing criminal activities, we cannot overlook anything that might lead to any sort of mishap. The rule was made in the first place to allow better visibility inside the vehicles, for the sake of public safety."

Last edited:
I don't simply get the logic behind this rule by Supreme Court. It is very stupid for a country like India and I would love to challenge it. In a country like India where we have to bare so much heat and direct sunlight such rules make no sense. Keep aside the rapes caused due to sun films. I am pretty sure cancer cases and sun stroke cases would rise a lot and kill people. The ac becomes inefficient because of the excessive heat. Which in turn consumes much more fuel. Such things should also be thought about when making such senseless rules.
This rule came into effect just months before I purchased my first car. I had no covered parking. Still don't have one. I regularly face the brunt of this illogical rule.
Yes I have purchased these net type sunshades for my 2012 honda city this summer after I felt I could not take the heat anymore. It cost me 1000 for a set of 4. These are infant very effective. Make the heat quite negligible. Though I couldn't figure out a way to stop direct sunlight from the windshield. But the ac has also become pretty responsive after using these shades. Now I don't have to worry very much when I park my car in direct sunlight. Except for the heat coming from the windshields.

Courts are strange places. You have high profile judge who doesn't know to add, you have judge recommending rape victim to negotiate marriage with rapist... basically in MOST of the cases, the person who judges and the persons who argue are probably school back benchers who took up law because that's the only thing they could study for the mark they obtained. Just like politicians, you can't really expect good judgements from a court unless they use expert witness - like in many developed countries. Any lay person with an average IQ knows how to circumvent the 'don't cover car window' law. Regrettably, we have to bear the brunt of system run by below average IQ guys.

hi bhvm, the ban is not limited to films. It defies the very purpose of having the ban in place. Excerpt from an article : "According to SC judgment on sun control films, any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is not permissible. The judgment says, 70 per cent and 50 per cent Visual Light Transmission standard, is relatable to manufacture of safety glasses for windshields, and side windows respectively. ASP traffic Anjana Tiwary said "It has been clearly stated in the SC judgment, that any external material applied on wind shields and side windows is impermissible. Those who thought that after removal of dark films from their car windows, they would be allowed to use window shades were wrong. With increasing criminal activities, we cannot overlook anything that might lead to any sort of mishap. The rule was made in the first place to allow better visibility inside the vehicles, for the sake of public safety."
The biggest crooks still use sun film I see cars everyday which have the red orange or blue beacons with sunfilm on

Attachments

Thread Starter #9

bhvm

Honoured Member
perhaps Mr. judge didn't ask his wife-

" how do you feel when some errant Rikshaw wala or drunkard takes a good stare at you through absolutely clear windows? "

oh why he will ask? he's running in tinted cars with beacons on it. these decisions are like vets trying to cure a human.

Thread Starter #10

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Magnetic Sun Shades- Your answer to the Sun Film Ban!

Nice article bhvm!! Was in two minds whether to order or not for my Honda city !! Read your review and now Im satisfied.Will order on Monday. One question though can you roll down a window and drive with this sunshade still on?? Wind ??
yes you can roll down the windows. the shades will not scrape the glass Or anything. for the wind, ID suggest you don't roll fully, just few inches down.

Our X3 also has sun shades but they are retractable and they are really useful too. Some policewallas even stopped us once cause they though we had sun films but then we showed them.

Price-
Brought for Rs.1200 for 6 shades. Got a Mobile charger free. For any Auto-related stuff, Make sure you visit-
volgaautomotive on eBay
Nice finding , in my city police are not that strict yet [;)]

Hey surfer ,
this pic is from a car in Delhi , if you see behind , the polo is also got the same thing done .
i don't know how much strict the police is right now in Delhi . therefore asking if these are legal. :)

Bhvm,
10 years back i was travelling in a city bus and everyone was peeping to the right side of the bus in such a way that the bus will topple. Reason ladies were sitting in a vehicle without dark films.It was a taxi and the guy had no tints.
Now law makes all to remove sun films.
Funny thing is in chennai after the rule police removed tints from corollas of judges, the judges next day started to use drapes inside their cars.Chennai police and hc are always at loggerheads so they used this to get revenge on hc.

Ravi b,
Some skin cancer patients asked for permission to have sun films but it was plainly refused.

I have dark sunfilms on my cars, even in the windshield. I Wont remove, even if done i will get another.
Banning sun films is just a lame alternative for bad policing.Once in coimbatore a sensational kidnap and murder case happened . The police was not able to trace the kids, later they found that the kids were in a car inside the city with tinted glass. People were angry and so to cover their ineffective search they blamed it on tints and tore up tints on all cars in the city, those who refused were seen by public as antisocial elements.
Car users are a minority in our country so any law against car users gets a welcome from the sweaty masses.

Top Bottom