Ruby Princess of Czech - Skoda Laura L&K Comes Home

Thread Starter #1
January 14th 2012,
I get inside my Suzuki SX4 ZXi after my tuitions. Looked at my Dad who was driving the car he had a subtle smile on his face I asked “Why are you smiling?” He eyed towards the dashboard . I found a Suzuki Kizashi brochure on top and I understood as I was in my tuitions he must have gone to the showroom which is in the same building and checked out the car. I thought there is still one whole year left for his company to provide him with his next corporate car , so why is he already looking for cars and soon enough dad tells me that the company’s policy has changed and that they would be providing the new this year itself. ”Woah!” and that was my response and I was seriously overjoyed and started going through the Kizashi’s brochure.

February 29th 2012,
It was our SX4’s fourth birthday. Sadly being a weekday it was still being used as our workhorse without any rest. The car had clocked 90k by then. It’s comforts, looks, beasty power and vfm had set our expectations for our next car pretty high. And so my dad was due for a new car. That day itself my dad gets an email from his company that he is ready to go on the lookout for his next car and the budget mentioned made us staring amazed at the screen. 20Lakhs ex-showroom it was! And we were expecting it to be around 12 Lakhs.

March 21nd 2012,
As is the case with all teens that the most enjoyable and interesting moments occur during their exams so was the case with me. Dad ordered me to focus on my studies till 21st march (the last day of my exams). I come back home and start my online research of selecting the cars as per my following criterias.
1. Spacious and comfortable interiors.
2. An automatic transmission.
3. Safety – 6 Airbags , ABS , ESP.
4. Cruise control.
5. Preferably a long feature list.

At the beginning I just thought of the D2 segment cars.
And so TDs began:

Day 1,
Starting with the Skoda Superb. We went to Europa Motors . They showed us the a Ruby colored Superb and boy-o- boy I was in love with that beauty. The exterior interior were a 10/10 for me and was the same from my parents . Papa just loved the space inside the car and the massagers on the front seats. Mom was really excited with sunroof. Soon we decided to go for a test drive . The TD car was maintained pretty well it was AT Elegance TDI . We got onto the road. The smooth tarmac highway gelled with the car. Dad loved driving it. The sales guy slotted the gear in the sports mode and told my dad to rev it hard and so my dad did. Dad having forgotten that it wasn’t his SX4, revved it too hard we all were glued back to our seats and within seconds we were doing a 140!. Dad revved it harder and soon the car was cruising smoothly at 160! Dad slowed immediately as a speed warning rang in the car. We had almost locked down on the car in our first test drive itself. We left the showroom with a huge smile on our face. On the way looking at the price list the TDI AT seemed too costly so decided to stick to the TSI AT.

Same day itself we went to check out the Honda Accord at the Deccan Honda, Bund Garden. The looks of this car had stolen millions of hearts . They were absolutely stunning. But as I got inside the interiors were too boring and dull as compared to our previous TDed car. Took an AT out for the TD. There were no free roads around but just congested city roads. The car seemed to absorb the bumps pretty well and Dad said that the car accelerated much more easily as in comparing with the Superb. I guess he meant the turbolag which the Superb might be having a little more because of the diesel and 40 less horses. This was 50k costlier than the superb.

Day 2,
Went to check out the Volkswgen Passat at Vidyut Motors. On reaching came to know that it was completely out of budget. Even for the base model Trendline we would have to pay 1lk more than our budget. As soon as we were going to leave the sales guy tells us about the Diesel and its savings . Dad and I did a fair amount of calculation and checked out that if we buy a Diesel its got to be the superb . And for that we would have to pay 2.5lakhs extra than our Superb tsi and recovering that amount of cash just based on fuel savings seemed a little difficult for us. We decided to leave and once again the sales guy told us stop. And told us to checkout the Jetta.
The Jetta impressed us in all aspects other than the interiors and comfort(this was the most important for us). Although looking simple the interiors were cramped . There was hardly any improvement in terms of space. The car suspension seemed a bit too stiff unlike the Skoda and the Honda. As per dad the rest of the driving experience was just little above the average. This car turned out to be no-no from all 3 of us.
Came back home researched a little more and found the Laura could be on our radar too.

Day 3,
It was a Sunday and a pretty boring one with my exams over . Dad asks me to call up Mr. Hamza and ask him if he could come to our place for a testdrive of the Laura. Called him up with an immediate response tells us that he is playing a club level cricket match and will be at our place in an hour or so. And so he did with an Elegance DSG. I had already informed dad about the features which were same as the Superb with just 4 speakers more , no sunroof and no electrically controlled front passenger seats and no umbrella. Took the car out for a spin on the Nagar Road . The car’s suspension seemed to be stiff like the Jetta at speeds <60kmph but as soon as you cross that it seemed much soft and as per my dad driving seemed almost as same as the Superb but a lot easier because of obvious reasons less weight and smaller dimensions of the car.

Day 4 9th April 2012,
Dad goes to office and tells his colleague to book a Rosso Brunello Laura L&K with a factory fitted trunk spoiler and 4 year extended warranty and. Mr. Hamza confirms the car will be delivered by 15th of April as we had requested cause it was the Bengali New year. The showroom gave no discounts. The On-road cost of the car was 23.5Lakhs. PM me to know about the breakup.

13th April 2012,
Car arrives at the showroom, Dad’s company sends a personnel to do a PDI. All goes well and the car is sent off for registration.

15th April 2012,
Car arrives to my dad’s office and the keys are handed over to him with the stuff needed for the Puja and a pretty big box of Ferrero Roscher chocolates. Dad drives the car back home and followed by our SX4 which was being driven by our driver. That moment was simply amazing . Our Ruby Princess was welcome with a puja done by my mother herself.
Dad took the car out for a short spin. We loved the car. And after returning parked it right beside our SX4 who too, happily shared the parking space with her sister. Came back home had dinner and went to the car with all the manuals and stuff. Learnt all about the car inside out cause I’ll have to explain our driver, dad and mom about how to use the car’s high-tech gadgetry.

6 months later thought about writing an ownership review which brought me here. Sorry once again guys for being inactive for such a long time.

Problems? What problems? It seriously makes me think hard that the same company I bought the car company had so many complaints it the recent past. I’m happy that Skoda has worked hard on it and has come a long way!

The car has clocked 9.5k first servicing is to be done only at 15k.

Mileage city- 12-14kmpl
Mileage highway- 17-18kmpl. And here is some Ripley’s Believe It Or Not stuff I had gone to Mumbai for 5 days for IIMUN being held at WTC, I had to stay at my brother’s place at Dahisar every morning I used to leave at 5 in the morning and seriously amazingly astoundingly unbelievingly the MFD used to show a mileage of 3.9-4.3l/100km which turns out to be 25kmpl . it hovered around 4l/100km but as soon as I touched the Sea Link at speeds around 120kmph the mileage fell to 3.9l/100km. Sadly couldn’t capture that amazing pocket friendly moment.[clap]

No mods done nor planned for future. Got the factory fitted trunk spoiler(costed 8k) and 3M tints(cost don’t remember!Sorry!).

I wont go into details of the driving ease(not possible for me cause I’m not 18 yet! Sorry!) interiors and exteriors and all that cause there already many many reviews of the car already.

The thing I love about the car:
The ICE. It sounds amazing the 12 speaker 3-way component set up on all four doors. They are powered by an amplifier hidden beneath the rear seat I guess. [clap]
The thing I hate:
I hate that I’m so madly in love with this car and it will surely be a hard time for me to tell bye to this lovely princess.

So now Ill let the pictures do the talking. Sorry for my poor photography skills.
Here is the Ruby Princess of Czech.
Urghh Sorry! I have run out of time will upload them tomorrow itself.[frustration]

Last edited:
Re: Ruby Princess of Czech-Skoda Laura L&K comes home

That's a very nice and detail review Daipayan and once again congratulations for your new aquisition . [clap]

Waiting for some nice pics of your ride as an ownership thread is incomplete without picutres. [;)]

Thread Starter #3

Attachments

Nice choice of color buddy. Have happy miles.

What about the hump in rear middle seat? Will it comfortably accommodate fifth person? Stock alloys doesn't really suit. Get some nice ones.

Laura is really a great car. I love it very much. Whenever it just passes by me, my eyes are just stuck to it. Congratulations for your new beauty. Hope you have great time with her.

Nice pics mann.

Aux slot is storage under armrest? and where is usb slot?

Thread Starter #6
Nice choice of color buddy. Have happy miles.

What about the hump in rear middle seat? Will it comfortably accommodate fifth person? Stock alloys doesn't really suit. Get some nice ones.
The color had first impressed us when we went to check out the Superb. The color turns a lot of heads.Thanx
The fifth person's seating is uncomfortable (or rather disbalanced)because of first the hump and then there are central AC vents taking up a lot of legroom for the fifth person.Will try to get pictures of it soon.
For now won't be going for any additions.Will think about them only after our next car purchase.

Last edited:
Cool. As you know dark colors are more mesmerizing at the same time painful to maintain, take special car of her. [;)]

Thread Starter #8
Laura is really a great car. I love it very much. Whenever it just passes by me, my eyes are just stuck to it. Congratulations for your new beauty. Hope you have great time with her.

Nice pics mann.

Aux slot is storage under armrest? and where is usb slot?
Thanks a lot! Its stance is awesome.
Yes Aux slot in under armrest storage. There is no USB slot. It has a SD card slot on the headunit

Thanks a lot! Its stance is awesome.
Yes Aux slot in under armrest storage. There is no USB slot. It has a SD card slot on the headunit
No USB slot. [surprise]. I just don't understand the thinking of some car companies. Gives almost everything but just missed out on some small thing. [frustration]. But it is OK SD card will serve same purpose as USB drive and also will not be hindrance will moving your hand around.

Thread Starter #10
No USB slot. [surprise]. I just don't understand the thinking of some car companies. Gives almost everything but just missed out on some small thing. [frustration]. But it is OK SD card will serve same purpose as USB drive and also will not be hindrance will moving your hand around.
Seriously .The price point of the car doesn't make it VFM. Features that I would like to have, bluetooth handsfreen music streaming , basic remote access to the head unit(a car which is is in the price bracket of car which are chauffer driven doesnt have remote control to stereo the person sitting in the rear seats will have to stretch and bend to control the AC and stereo ) the prev gen laura had sunroof and i wish even the present one had. But Im completely satisfied withthe car.

Thread Starter #11
Cool. As you know dark colors are more mesmerizing at the same time painful to maintain, take special car of her. [;)]
Had this point in mind very clearly. Our white SX4 exteriors are in pretty bad condition. We clean the car daily with water from outside and a shampoo bath every sunday .The interiors are cleaned once in month

Cool. Also are you planning to do any under body treatments? This is something necessary I believe. Others may have some idea. I did in my fiesta a year back and its worthy.

Thread Starter #13
Cool. Also are you planning to do any under body treatments? This is something necessary I believe. Others may have some idea. I did in my fiesta a year back and its worthy.
Hey i have heard about it, but not really sure how does it help and how much would it cost. Could you please throw some light on it?

Top Bottom