Originally Posted by starpp
Hi Mahi, I think people reading the ownership review thread more as i see comments added continuously there.
Not sure Parthiban... defenitely I'm not writing up this thread for myself for sure :)
I thought this forum will be more active...but not to be the case so.
PS: I saw your mail and will respond to it with MP4 codec related error message pictures during this weekend.
Originally Posted by Iron Rock
I dont know how i missed this thread, just browsed through and its fantastic really, Mahi kudos for taking the time and explanation behind all your buying rationale - Could you please also take a moment and list down the good/bads of the Ertiga - it would be really useful for all readers including me. Also please tell us the price of ICE.
Hi Iron Rock,
Glad you found this thread useful, thanks for your kind words.
I've already written comprehensive Good and Bad aspects of Ertiga: Reposting here below the same. First Up, the bad aspects of Ertiga:
1.The Headlight is horribly weak at 60/65W. I'm sure I need to get it changed to Philips 90/100W. When I questioned the Maruti showroom guy said that apparently as per Govt guidelines the factory cannot ship the car with headlights greater than 65W - it sounded like a joke!, not sure if its true.
2.The most annoying part of driving diesel vehicle after driving Pertrol based super rocket Zen, I had difficulty and felt strenous driving a diesel vehicle. The main reason is due to the fact that you got to shift the gear all the time in Blr city traffic, unlike my zen which used to pull up from 20Kmph to 70Kmph in 4th gear. With Ertiga, when you are in 5th gear with speed of 60Kmph, if you fall below 40Kmph, you have to MANDATORILY shift down the gear and get the vehicle above 50Kmph speed before you can shift back into the 5th gear. Absolutely annoying.
3. When you unlock the vehicle, even boot also gets unlocked and this is a major BLUNDER from Maruti.
They should have given level inside the vehicle for opening the when you are inside the car and a third button on the remote for opening the boot seperately.
4. When ever someone occupied the 2nd or 3rd row, they switch ON the AC and while alighting invariably they dont switch it off - this has happened 100% of the time with various family members, colleagues and friends repeatedly. So, when you drop them and start driving, the AC still blows out you got to park the car, get down, open the door and switch off the AC. This has happened with me at least 8-10 times so far. Now making a habit of telling the 2nd row passengers to ensure switching off the AC and it feels very awkward!
Instead Maruti SHOULD HAVE given a control switch in whatever form near drive seat so that you can simply shut the middle row AC. It could have costed Maruti a switch and couple of meter of wires!
5. The last row belt does not get tucked away properly, even though Maruti have given a tiny hook. The round surface around the door area (between the second row and third row as shown in the pic below) should have been made flat so that you can easily alight/stepin without slipping. Every time the third row passengers are required to get in/get out, they have to carefully manevour the slippery area. Secondly, good aspects of Ertiga:
1. The space utilization: Its a amazing the space usage inside the car and extremely comfortable seating in all three rows. The seat adjustments capability is also good. The ZDI comes with driver seat adjustment which increases the visibility and helps in driveability. The third row when folded provides you with so much of space that you can use for transporting anything of your choice.
2. The Driveability and Manevourability: Clear winner when compared to Innova. Driving innova feels strenous whereas the manner in which Ertiga drives is amazing compared to Innova. Also the turning radius is amazing small helping you to take U turns and also during takeover on highways.
3. Suspension: Its a cradle like feeling and you dont feel the bumpy roads sitting inside the vehicle. I think its bit of rather too much suspension at work which sometimes sways you across the seats during high speeds (what you call it as a body roll)
4. Steering wheel: Its one of the smoothest steering wheel of all the vehicles that I've driven. The ease with which it works is amazing. The ZDI varient get the steering wheel adjustment which again help in better driving and you can adjust it diffferently in city driving and highway. In city driving I always keep the steering wheel upright so that you are more attentive and on a long drive I pull it down so that it helps in easy cruising and comfortable seating posture with your hands bit lowered (less strenous)
5. Gears The gears were notchy during initial days and within two months I can feel the smoothness with which I can change the gears. It easily slots in the next possible gear (based on speed) without much effort which again helps in driving comfort.
6. AC Cooling The cooling is awesome and very effective. My only qualm is that MS should have provided master switch near driver seat for the middle row AC unit.
7.Extras The water bottle storage places are very well done and they are easily accessible by all in all the three rows. You dont need to dance around in the car to access the water bottle. Never used the coke/pepsi can holder pullout near the front AC vent.
8. The Sun Visors MS could have done good job by providing the bigger Sun Visors as the current ones are way to small and they dont cover the full area. When the sun visor is tilted towards window to stay away from blazing sun, it just doesn't help as you cannot slide it to suite the sun protection OR glare protection from windscreen. It just falls short on both sides. Good to tuck it away!
9. The ODO Its a neatly arranged cluster of information and very informative. I like the dails which are lit even during the day time and when you enter tunnel they all glow up. Just the wicked red dials looks great. Other than that, all the settings, brightness adjustments, trip meters are all very useful features.
10.Mileage Last but not the least for we Indians who are obsessed with "Kitna deti hai" :) --- well, When I took the delivery of the vehicle, the ODO said 14.1Kmpl and after 2 weeks it hit 15.6. After that I took her on a loooong drive of 2000Kms and got an impressive 18.2Kmpl. Post that for the last 1 month that I've been driving her in Bangalore city, I'm getting 17.2Kmpl consistently. Over the period it may come down to 17Kmpl due to fuel wastage in traffic, signals etc, BUT 17KMPL for this kind of vehicle is just awesome. Not sure if this is going to improve after 2nd service though.
Hope all these points will help lot of people. This is my unbaised opinion of Ertiga so far. Pl feel free to add any additional items in both categories.