As the expectations increased, my fear of writing a good article on Cedia increased, contrary to the guidelines
So, I decided to write the review of Cedia in two parts. Part 1, will predominantly have buying the car and initial 2/3 years experience. Part 2, I can explain all the modifications that were done (not much though) and performance after mods.
Here are basic details of my black stallion..
- Black cedia sports - 5 years young now
- 61,630 KMs done - still feels new ;-)
- First service itself, I changed the spark plugs to NGK IX Iridium plugs
- K & N stock replacement (square one - not the performance based cone one) filter
- After 50,000 KMs Yokohama AVS DB 205/60R15 tyres - stock was 195/60R15 Bridgestone Potenza
- After 55,000 KMs Tein Super Street shocks
- After 61,000 KMs MOMO revenge wheels - 15" X 6.5"
- After 61,630 KMs, changed to Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit - day before yesterday
- Magnaflow 14829 with bolt on pipe on the way - will fix it this weekend
- Projector headlight from Autotrust - took them from USA
1. Pioneer DEH-80PRS
2. Front Components Rockford Fosgate Power TS 6.5
3. Rear Coaxials Audison Voce 6.5
4. Polk Audio Signature Ref Sub 10" - SR 10 DVC
5. Tsunami 10 Farad hybrid Capacitor
6. JL Audio HD900/5 - Amp
7. Monster 306 XLN 6-channel RCA
I can detail ICE in different article may be.. Buying Cedia
During 2007 end, I just wanted to get a new car - no special reason though, I just wanted a powerful car. My choices were Honda Civic, Skoda Octavia RS (they still had it) & Mitsubishi Cedia from test drive order. I used to drive Civic Si, in the US.
After Civic & Skoda, I had the test drive of Cedia the test drive happened for Cedia - on the NICE corridor of ECity Bangalore (it was not officially opened). Believe me, my friend and I touched 180 KM on that car and the sales man sitting with us, encouraged us to push the car to the limits. I was surprised though. I was happy with car's performance within city limits and highways. The turning radius impressed me as well and the great road clearance. I did not do any research like after sales etc., I just liked the car.
Above all, the name 'Mitsubishi' had an effect on me and I booked it with then dealer Lathangi on Bannerghatta Road, Blr. I had nice deal from them. First year insurance free and very low EMI option if I paid half as down payment.
Overall, it was 10.5 on road which was much cheaper than Civic & Octavia, even though that was not deciding criteria
I opted for Black without much of hesitation. It was one thing, my wife and I agreed after seeing other colors without any debate. First year experience
First one year, I had driven the car to my hometown (madurai), Kodaikanal, chikmagalur. Needless to say, driving pleasure gets better and better. I don't feel any difficulty even on curvy roads like hairpin bend roads of Kodaikanal.
I have driven to Chikmagalur so many times in record breaking time. :-)
As you all know this is head turner at that time. The smoked headlights, sleek black body and stylish spoiler (did not spoil the look for real) made this car different from the crowd. Those days, HM/Mitsu did not recommend Synthetic oil - so, the service charge never crossed Rs. 2500/ max. India garage (service center for mitsu) engineer comes to pick the car up and drop it back promptly. But, service just okay. I had to go back to them couple of times, for refixing the wiper blades after service, and door panel was not fixed properly etc., I was not very comfy with their service though.
The car came with pathetic/very bad CD player from Blaupunkt - I don't remember the model now, coz, I immediately changed that to Pioneer model DEX/h - 770UB or something. The stock speakers were as good as stock speakers. One can't expect true fidelity out of them. So, I replaced it, with my old speakers from my previous car (accent 1.6 gls) Polk Momo series and Pioneer sub. Not a great sub, but, okay stuff.
Even though, the car was good - I did not like the smoothness of clutch. It had to be oiled (clutch pedal) to be smooth and over a period of year, I got used to it. The horn is right at the center of steering wheel which was pain, initially and after sometime I got used to it too. Only thing which I am not okay till today is that the A/C vent on the driver's right side. It is kept below the usual location and as a result, when I drive for longer time, my fingers are numb or I had to change the direction to some odd places. Too bad. Time goes on..
After a year, since, I got used to Cedia, I wanted to unleash the animal inside. I went for cold air intake - K&N sports air filter assembly. It is very easy, we fit it our self (but, I called my mechanic friend to do it). What a change? The engine roar is increased and I can definitely feel the difference. It was awesome. Notable difference on the RPM. Quick response. But, I don't think it is suggestable to our country. I had to clean it very often - like once in 3 months. So, I decided to go back to stock air filter assembly, but, air filter is K&N. I don't get to hear the same roar from engine, but, still the same power - yes.
Same amazing performance from the car, no problem what so ever and for some reasons, India garage was dropped out of HM/Mitsu's service provider and SVR motors on ECity/Hosur road became the authorised service center. That's when I started using and HM also recommended Synthetic oil. Somehow, I did not feel good at all with their service. It was okay okay. Suddenly my A/C gas had leaked (which I did not realize). the service guy told me that I had to replace some unit within A/C and it will cost me 25K. I even complained that it had happened after their service. But, after a quarrel, it was not settled. At that time I had to go to US for some 4 months and I rushed. When I came back, just to check my luck, I went to them again, but, I picked different head of service engineers and explained the problem. He took the car for service and called me later to tell me that it was A/C gas leak which is not a big issue. He refilled the gas and till now - no issue as he said.
Since, it was time to change the tyres after considerable 50K drive, I started looking for bigger tyre. I used Cheap Low Price Special Offer Alloys and Tyres from TYRESAVE
- to calculate the difference for upsizing the tyre and decided on 205/60R15. I actually wanted to go for Michelin Pilot Preceda, but I could not get it then. Also, I did not want to go for bigger wheel. I want more rubber on road which I thought/think is important rather than look of wheel. So, after couple of weeks of search, I decided to go for Yokohama AVS DB v550. I changed it at Reliance Autozone. Cool guys to deal with. No nonsense. They took old tyres for a price and fixed new tyres with balancing.
I think by default, Cedia has to be mated with 205/60R15 tyres. Because, after that change I definitely feel that control has increased more than stock and unlike usual claims - no mileage drop. Here are some reviews after above experience..
- The RPM meter shoots up after K&N filter change - but, no mileage drop
- With Stock filter, pick up is good - but, I needed to push it little harder to race - but, definitely not a bummer inside the city or highway. this is for people with more adrenaline rush..
- Stock wheels are good - replacement of wheels are tough as very few reputed alloy wheels (I am not talking about korean made) are available here with PCD of 4 x 114.3
- Alloy wheels are heavy - I suppose the stock alloys are alike in all cars. But, definitely rugged wheels. They can go on and on and on...
- Gear shift could have been smoother
- Brake pads are 10mm - sort of okay thickness - but I feel, it should be 14mm like Suzuki Baleno or 10mm ceramic pads - so, changing to ceramic pads (EBC or Hawk) definitely good - note that stock pads are not bad at all
- Clutch could have been smoother - I am not sure of latest cedia offerings
- THE BEST leather interiors and sporty black interior - great looks
- fog lamps are just for looks - don't expect improved light at night
- Folx, unlike the usual claims - mileage is awesome. I get 11 - 12 inside city with A/C all the time.
- Best and very best turning radius - I can take u-turns, with ease in places where other car drivers struggle. Best for Bangalore
- Just great on torque - I had to be very cautious initially when I got it new
- Great, great & great road clearance like an SUV - 175 mm
- performance will get unleashed on highways - I can't stop the grin on my face
- Now-a-days, I give the car for service to my friend who owns suzuki (maruti) service center. This is something that HM has to fix, if someone is particular of servicing car with authorized service guy. Since, it is my friend, I have no troubles at all.
I will add photos later and give details of mods as well.