Toyota Etios Liva (GD) Diesel 2012 - Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Toyota Etios Liva (GD) Diesel 2012 (FE update on pg2) - Ownership Review

Ownership review – Toyota Etios Liva ( GD ) Diesel Sept 2012

Update 1: Fuel Efficency Report @500 km on Pg 2

Update 2: Fuel Efficency Report @1300 km on Pg 2

Here’s my car buying journey.

It started with looking at Renault duster and Maruti Ertiga as I like SUV kind of vehicles . But life has different plans for me, had to cut down my budget to 6 - 6.5 lac from my earlier 8-9 lac budget. No problem. Started reading blogs for the cars in this range/price. Forgot to mention , I am only looking @ Diesel cars. Prices quoted are from Chandigarh.

Shortlisted :

Maruti Swift: Good Car, very reliable engine, found the interior space little tight ,too many on road , waiting period too long . Thumbs Down.

VW Polo: great looking car, makes you feel young and sporty, like the interiors – dashboard simple and elegant. Back seat is uncomfortable – is little up right. Service cost is on higher side as well as parts, if needed in future. So Thumbs Down.

Maruti Ritz: they launched a new Ritz in the week we were looking at the cars , so we decided to have a look at it. I like the looks of the car – front only , rear is ok , little disappointment. Interior very maruti like you know that I mean. Drive was ok , felt the body roll, at driver seat position my knees very touching the centre plastic console, very uncomfortable in long drives. Thumbs down.

Ford Figo: Great little car, like the interiors , seating positions are comfortable, price point its value for money, free insurance + 3 yr warranty, my only problem was its exterior styling it looked dated and not a big fan of ford. Thumbs down.

Toyota Liva: To be frank, This car was not even in my list, as I have test driven it when it was launched in 2010/11 approx. But my brother in law, forced me to TD this car too. Went to Toyota dealership at Chandigarh to have a look at the car and TD it.

First Impression: Loved the looks of the car, paint job is very good , front and rear are very good looking – not a sporty as polo though’.

Interiors: At first, didn’t like the dash board and the centre speedometer. I always have been against the centre Speedo. But I was amazed at the space this car provide you with. I think, this the only small car which can comfortable seat 3 adults at the rear seat.

Also the driving position is great as well as the sporty seats give a comfortable feel.

Time for TD: Was in love with the Toyota D-4D engine the moment I drove it. Loved the way the car drives and handles. Steering is perfect , not too light not too hard. Turning radius is also very good. Didn’t feel any turbo lag like in maruti swift and big spike in torque at 2000 rpm, Toyota is very linier. Gear shift is very precise and light though reverse gear is at odd position – but you get use to it. Clutch is light. Forgot to mention the best part ABS brake very assuring and precise ...loved it.

Few points:
• Started liking the interior after 2 -3 visits to dealership(In my opinion grey/black interior is better than black/beige interior). Now after using the car on highway and city feels the interior/dash is very practical - like it but not super like it.
• Lots of cost cutting visible. Sun shade/visors are very light and cheap. A.c knobs very poor quality. No rubber trim on doors and windscreens . one reverse light , other one is dummy. Single horn – sounds light auto/milk van kind of horn LOL. Rear windows only go down 70%.
• A lot of Road noise is audible in the car.
• Engine noise is acceptable and is comparable to swifts or figo etc .May be I am used to the diesel clatter as I have driven diesel dezire and innova all these yrs.
• Didn’t like the way front suspension behaves – give a loud noise when u hit a pot hole.
• Boot space is good . good enough for a small car.
• Lacks electric adjustable side mirrors.
• Good amount of space to keep bottles etc
• AC vents unique and good
• AC cools the whole car in 2 mins, got compliments from my rear passengers .
• 4 Speaker comes with the car but not the stereo. Speakers produce good sound – didn’t expected that- good job Toyota saved Rs4000/Rs 5000.
• Service and parts cost is very low, I think service cost is around 2400 rupees.

Buying Experience:

Toyota sales staff was very professional. Didn’t offer any discounts on diesel but after spending some time with the sales staff and pressuring them was able to extract a discount of Rs 5000 cash and accessories worth Rs 3500. Now the sales guy is good friend and will be able to help anybody else want to buy a car from Chandigarh region. (just let me know , will be more than happy to assist you).

Got the White Colour Liva in 2 days after depositing the whole amount in their account.

Conclusion: Totally love this car, proud owner, very practical and spacious car, Toyota reliability and also took the 0 dep insurance , so no worries on that part.

(If you like the blue colour, you can extract a lot more discount from them)

Fuel Efficiency: Will update I coming weeks, got the tank full in Rs 1900.

My Toyota Liva Cost:
Car price ex showroom chd: Rs 5,87,884
Insurance 0 dep: Rs 21,795
Logistics + temp number+ plates: Rs 2500
Road Tax (2% for cars less than 6 lac) + Card : Rs 11758+300

Total : 587884+21795+2500+12058= Rs 6,24,237
Discount: Rs 5000
Grand Total: Rs 6, 19, 237

Accessories got for free worth Rs 3500
• Red and Black mats
• Chrome AC rings
• Silver /chrome gear knob
• Mud guards

Paid Accessories: Rs 8500
• Horn – roots wind tone black for Rs 500
• Side visors: rs 900
• Antenna: Rs 600
• 2 din music player : JVC KW-XG56T2 specially designed for Toyota etios also comes with jvc original cable/socket so no cutting of wires etc . Paid Rs 6500
[:D][glasses][:D]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Ownership Review – Toyota Etios Liva ( GD ) Diesel Sept 2012

Posting some pictures of my White Love.[;)]

Attachments

Re: Ownership Review – Toyota Etios Liva ( GD ) Diesel Sept 2012

First of all congratulations for your amazing purchase.

Last month i have also had a test drive of this liva but petrol model i fell in love with the car,the way car handles is just amazing with tons of place inside.

But i have also moticed exactly the same things which u mentioned be it missing door beeding,rubber less windshield,ac knobs and regulators are of extremely cheap quality with dull design and quality of whole dashboard.

I have overlooked all these negetives as i love its drivability.

But after that i seen negetive reviews regarding its front suspension/thud sound and all,this thing alerted me to stay away from this vehicle.

Re: Ownership Review – Toyota Etios Liva (GD) Diesel Sept 2012

Congrats Gillz.
Your Liva looks beautiful in those pictures and the paint quality is top notch.
Enjoy the excellent handling and and ride that the car offers.
Wishing you good memories with her.

many congrats on your purchase, look forward to the FE figures. In the pictures your car looks ravishing. Go for rubber mats on priority else the floor mats will get very dirty soon.

First of all Hello and welcome to TAI Gillz.

Congratulations for your new acquisition buddy[clap]. Your ride is looking nice in white.

Do update the thread with your initial days of ownership and FE.

Congrat's buddy, just loved those JVC unit any plans for alloy's?

Grand total 6, 19, 237/- [surprise], Is this on road price?
I believe Gd comes with ABS & driver Air bag rt? Considering these features, I would say excellent buy at the given price.

Congratulation Man!

Thread Starter #9
First of all congratulations for your amazing purchase.

Last month i have also had a test drive of this liva but petrol model i fell in love with the car,the way car handles is just amazing with tons of place inside.

But i have also moticed exactly the same things which u mentioned be it missing door beeding,rubber less windshield,ac knobs and regulators are of extremely cheap quality with dull design and quality of whole dashboard.

I have overlooked all these negetives as i love its drivability.

But after that i seen negetive reviews regarding its front suspension/thud sound and all,this thing alerted me to stay away from this vehicle.
Thanks Sanjay, after driving this car for 2 week approx , i love this car more , very comfortable , good space . the thud sound should not be a deal breaker as it great car to drive and easy on pocket to maintain.

Congrats Gillz.
Your Liva looks beautiful in those pictures and the paint quality is top notch.
Enjoy the excellent handling and and ride that the car offers.
Wishing you good memories with her.
Thanks alot. The liva white looks sharper than innova white that we have . Liva gives more shine. love the handling , the best so far.

many congrats on your purchase, look forward to the FE figures. In the pictures your car looks ravishing. Go for rubber mats on priority else the floor mats will get very dirty soon.
Thanks Nitin, I will post the FE figures soon. As for the rubber mats , i am still debating..

First of all Hello and welcome to TAI Gillz.

Congratulations for your new acquisition buddy[clap]. Your ride is looking nice in white.

Do update the thread with your initial days of ownership and FE.
FE coming soon..Thanks Love TAI[;)]

Congrat's buddy, just loved those JVC unit any plans for alloy's?
Thanks, No plan for alloys , not a big fan of them. As for the Jvc unit, the sound is excellent, has front usb, etc good on price + 24 warranty.

Grand total 6, 19, 237/- [surprise], Is this on road price?
I believe Gd comes with ABS & driver Air bag rt? Considering these features, I would say excellent buy at the given price.

Congratulation Man!
Thanks Sandip .This price is [on road price] as it includes Ex-showroom price+logistics+road tax+ insurance. (Chandigarh)

As for the model :

GD model: ABS, no music player, black/grey interior
GD + model: ABS, 2 din music player, beige/black interior, air bags. (Rs 30,000 more)
Sport model: everything from +model, side and front and rear sport skirting, rear spoiler, new seatcovers, alloys. (RS 20,000 more than previous model)

Congrats on your Liva Gillz.Liva is one heck of the car.Toyota is no.1 when it comes to reliability.But,its interiors are below average.

IMHO,Compared to I20,Liva is one of the best Car when it comes to space,ride and handling and Toyota.

GD model: ABS, no music player, black/grey interior
GD + model: ABS, 2 din music player, beige/black interior, air bags. (Rs 30,000 more)
Sport model: everything from +model, side and front and rear sport skirting, rear spoiler, new seatcovers, alloys. (RS 20,000 more than previous model)
Sport model would have been real vfm then because in 50k you get all side sport skirting (which looks killer) , 2 airbags, alloys, rear spoiler, 2 din music system, seat covers.
If you actually try fitting these in your car then it will be more costlier (almost double) & i guess air bags cannot be fitted as accessory so we are missing out one safty feature here.

Congratulations Gillz for your new practical choice of car. I have seen sports model on road here in Mumbai and trust it looks really good. An eye catching one.

Thread Starter #13
Congrats on your Liva Gillz.Liva is one heck of the car.Toyota is no.1 when it comes to reliability.But,its interiors are below average.

IMHO,Compared to I20,Liva is one of the best Car when it comes to space,ride and handling and Toyota.
you said it all - best space, ride, handling and toyota reliability . VFM.

Sport model would have been real vfm then because in 50k you get all side sport skirting (which looks killer) , 2 airbags, alloys, rear spoiler, 2 din music system, seat covers.
If you actually try fitting these in your car then it will be more costlier (almost double) & i guess air bags cannot be fitted as accessory so we are missing out one safty feature here.
For me , I was on a tight budget so spending Rs 50,000 was out of question. but have to agree ,that sports model looks a killer. Alloys are gun metal color /paint. Its a limited edition model , so they are only making 800 of them.

Infact ,my Brother in law wants to buy that model but only if he is able to sell his petrol dezire. [roll]

Congratulations Gillz for your new practical choice of car. I have seen sports model on road here in Mumbai and trust it looks really good. An eye catching one.
Thanks. i agree with you on that. here's a pic

Attachments

@Gillz

Congrats on your new Liva[:)]

It looks to be a complete practical selection.

In your review, one point surprised[surprise] me about Ritz as you said your knees were touching the center console. My legs are longer and that the reason I had to opt for Ritz last year as its comfortable and I have also drove Liva and I felt it is bit congested in driving area and my legs were touching the steering column. Yes agree that Ritz has a body roll, but we cannot help it as it is a complete toll boy, but at the same time you get lot of headroom in this.

What it was more disappointing was the interior plastics and finish and also the gear console which looked me like a M800 one. Of Course all these are subjective as they are only my personal opinion. Also the feedback from the Liva owners near my place was not very promising, hence I really look forward to your future updates to know the performance of this car.

I wish a happy driving with your white Liva[clap]

Top Bottom