Quick update: Restoration started
Restoration will be done is 2 stages. 1st is the engine rebuild and 2nd stage will be cosmetic upgrade. Initially thought of making a cosmetic make-over only as I felt nothing wrong with the engine / transmission. But my mechanic strongly objected for cosmetic make-over alone.
Opened the engine last evening and surprised that it is still virgin. She clocked 66k km and still running with stock bore and piston
asked him to inspect the bore and piston whether the same to be used or re-boring required. Yet to get feedback from him. Packing kit lost its life some years back, we could find a lot of oil inside dynamo. Also the rubber packing in clutch is week, which makes a kind of irritating noise at sudden acceleration. Planned repair / replacement:
- Re-bore (if required) and change Piston + rings (else change rings alone)
- Change crankshaft bearings
- Change crankshaft (observed a hair line crack at piston end, not sure whether this happened while dismantling)
- Change spark plug, packing kit
- Change clutch rubber packing
- Clean carburetor, silencer and oil pump (already completed)
Along with this I am also getting my wheel bearings, brake shoes and Front tyre replaced.
After the engine rebuild, planning to run her for 2k km to check for performance / any other issues / fine tuning and then proceed with cosmetic upgrade. I don't want her to visit the garage again after cosmetic make-over.
Will keep you guys updated.