Unscheduled service & repair after mishap with under-body @ 33,475 kms The Story-
This was around March & i was bored. At night my friend who had returned from his late night office shift had a few days holiday,so we decided to drive to Coorg.We left on a slow 220km journey stopping on the way at cafe,it was pretty relaxed,also very economical drive,car had a full tank when leaving Bangalore. The idea was we could stay in Coorg & watch the Cricket World cup.
By the time i reached Coorg it was around 5:45am,was driving through a forest road at barely under 10-20km/hr. The i20 has a soft jiggly suspension & the car started to rock & i guess this made the suspension see-saw lower. Along with more than half tank of fuel & some luggage in the boot this was more pronounced. Then a sickening grind the quietness of the journey was shattered.
I knew immediately it was a major contact. I upped the pace to reach the destination which was 200 metres away. I could smell oil,drove faster,then i see the oil light come on with 100 metres left. It was still dark & i dint want to take chance with some wild elephants which famously trash people until they are dead. I ask my friend to open the gate while keeping my ears on the engine note which still sounds normal. Then drove at medium speed to the place & idled the car for like 10sec & slowly noticed engine slapping (similar sound to a Di jeep engine) at which point i turned off the engine. I wanted to idle as its good for turbo cooling but the cylinder slapping noise at the final switch off left me disturbed whether i damaged the engine
Now i get down from the car & notice little oil dripping & i knew the engine oil sump was gone. I contacted some one at Kodagu/Coorg Hyundai early morning & then i noticed alot of fluid from the rear left. I was puzzled. The workers tell me its diesel. All paranoia sets in, i asked some buckets of water to be kept in standby & along with a pipe to water if chance of fire. A vessel is kept under the leak area to capture the near 20 litres of fuel.
The fuel line which comes from the fuel tank from the rear to the front engine was damaged & was leaking!
I send pictures on whatsapp to the Hyundai people in Coorg(Madikeri) & i get a horror story that insurance wont cover these
. Then when i spoke to someone in Bangalore Hyundai service center they said it can be covered. Then i get reason that Hyundai in Coorg does not have an authorized body shop so insurance cant be claimed for repairs, they only do service.
After speaking to a friend i thought best bet is to have car towed to Mysore 80kms away which has all the facilities & thats what i did. It wasnt a flat bed truck but a Tata 207 with a lift winch. Car was taken slowly to Mysore & it sat there for good 20 days till all work was complete due to some holidays & delay in parts.I paid 1200 rupees for the towing which was sent by Hyundai. The debriefing
- The advisor tells me that he has seen damage in engines which are driven without oil but car can be driven safely for upto a km once oil sump is cracked as some oil will still be stuck on the engine. Also as car cooled noticed oil was still dripping out some hours later so they told me most probably noting can happen in such short amount of time.
They tell me metal under body has some scraped marks & fuel tank has been knocked a bit out of place but no major reason to change. Later for safety reasons they said we will change it. The expense !
Parts & consumables
1) Under chasris coating (1) =1360
2) Hyundai genuine engine oil,(5.3 litre),269.8 per litre = 1430.1
3) Consumables (care plus) (1) = 253.3
4) Tube-fuel return (1) = 819.8
5) Protector fuel tube (1) +210.2
6) Protector fuel line fro (1) =607
7) Tube fuel feed (1) = 976.9
8) Tank assy fuel (1) = 5261.4
9) Panel side cover,LH (1) = 229.8
10) Panel side cover,RH (1) = 229.8
11) Panel assy under cover (1) = 194.8
12) Service Kit oil filter (1) = 400.1
13) Pan assy engine oil (1) =7901.9
14) Gasket liquid engine (1) = 1076.3
Labour & services
1) Body paint charges (1) = 2100
2) Denting/repairing charges (1) = 3920
3) Wheel alignment (1) = 425
31,936+5618 = 36936, Insurance paid 21,233 = 15,703 Extra charges
Interior cleaning + Durowax (1) = 1823.4,after tax =2033
Diesel filled 9.31 litres = 500 Final impression
- Was very happy engine is running normal & the test they performed showed everything was normal. They lifted the car up & later had the front plastic cover added which wasnt placed well & cracked a thousand kms later. I felt things were on the expensive side & maybe some parts dint need changing. End of the day i get attached to my cars & have decided to keep them past lakh of kms. Seeing this story one can imagine why cars like Eco sport & Duster are a hit. Its just down to the ground clearance which can save you alot of headache & expense in this case. I have made up my mind that next addition into garage should be an SUV or with similar ground clearance.
Sorry i updated this very late, my car is at 41000kms now as i type this. Decided will get car serviced at 43000kms as engine oil was changed at 33475kms due to this incident.