Xoovy - My Mahindra XUV 5OO

Thread Starter #1
Ghepardo - Italian for Cheetah.

Mahindra calls the XUV a cheetah. I will call it Ghepardo. But why Italian? Well, in tribute to my loving Fiat Punto to which I am bidding farewell soon...

EDIT:
Name changed to Xoovy as a dear friend suggested the earlier one dint sound good. Hope Xoovy sounds better than Ghepardo!

Our Innova is 6 years old and has over a Lac kms on the odo. So ideally the XUV should replace the Innova right? No, it is replacing the Punto. Well, I am moving to UK and there would be nobody to look after the Punto, so it has to go. And since it is going, we have the freedom to have another new car.

Our primary requirement for a new car was that it should be a 7 seater, has all the goodies and creature comforts, has to be spacious and above all, should cost less than 20 Lacs on road. So there goes the Fortuner and Captiva!

Options left :

1) Tingu Mingu - Skoda Yeti :

yeti.jpg

We dint even bother having a test drive. We just had a look at it. It was much more expensive than the XUV. The biggest disadvantage it had was the cramped rear seat (for us) and the lack of 3rd row. Plus I feel the song 'Masha Allah' from 'Ek Tha Tiger' has been composed with Skoda's A.S.S. in mind.

2) The flamboyant uncle - Tata Aria :

aria-020811-630.jpg

I dont know, whenever I see an Aria, it looks like a 40 year old uncle in a pink chiffon shirt, who has six pack abs and is smoking a cigar... Stylish, but OLD! I mean, look at the Aria from front 3 quarters - so mean and classy. Move to the rear - [sleep]

Anyways, we did a test drive. Everyone in my family was impressed with the ride. For me, I was kind of okay with the performance of the engine, the turbo lag was a teeny weeny irritant, but not a big issue. Biggest dampener was that the top end Pride is not available in 4x2. We were not nuts to spend almost 19 Lacs on the Aria for the Pride 4x4. Plus, we did not need a 4x4. That means, we would have to opt for the Prestige 4x2 and miss features like side airbags, ESP, GPS, and Cruise Control, even after paying more than a Lac and a half over and above the XUV5OO. This is after discounts of close to a Lac on the Aria! Plus my father was not keen on buying a TATA again. I was not too keen either, as the Aria lacked a lot of gizmos...

3) The General - Safari Storme :

tata-safari-storme-image.jpg

Safari Storme looks like an old 60 year old man with a B-I-G mustache. Hence - the General. I guess even TATA did not know when it will be launched. Plus it looked too similar to the older Safari for comfort. Plus it was rumoured to be priced closer to the XUV. Plus it had jump seats in the boot. Plus it was a TATA again. So bye bye General.

4) Cheetah bhi Peeta hain - XUV5OO :

cheetah_front_new.jpg

Oops, sorry... wrong image!

mahindra-xuv-500-w8-33147.jpg

To be honest, my first choice was always the XUV. I have been following the XUV threads and ownership reports since the day of it's launch. I believe I know the in and out of it now. I am also aware of the serious issues and niggles associated with it.

So, took everyone for a test drive. When I entered the M&M showroom, I could hear an echo - "Ohh damn! You are back. Chipkoo." The sales executives looked more like my brothers who bichdofied in Kumbh ka Mela. I was so "at home" in the sea of Scorpios and Boleros.

My brother and my mom felt that the Innova's second row was slightly more spacious but overall they liked the XUV.

Shocking part was that, since the day of it's launch, the price has increased by 2 Lacs - some part by Mahindra and some because of the increase in tax for diesel vehicles.

Anyways, there was close to no debate on the colour - I wanted Opulent Purple or else Silver. Rest of the family wanted Satin white. And needless to say, we booked a Satin White XUV5OO W8 today. On road price is close to 16 Lacs.

Dont ask me about the waiting period. I believe the car will come sooner than you all expect! [evil]

Needless to say, when I returned home from M&M's showroom, I started feeling homesick.

Moral of the story : The MAHINDRA legacy in our family continues... Please welcome the new chap everyone.

Note:
PDI pics on second page.

Initial Impressions are here.

Some pics here & here and here.

A semi-long term review is here.

Last edited:
Re: Ghepardo - My Mahindra XUV 5OO (Coming soon)

Congrats on your booking Raj Sir.When did you booked your Ghepardo.What is the On road price of your Ghepardo.When the Ghepardo is expected to arrive.What is the waiting period of Cheetah as of now.

Because,I m also gonna book Cheetah(Your Ghepardo's brother) by this year end.

let me congratulate you. now as you the rightful owner will be "eligible" to set things right. [:D]

so when is it arriving? [glasses]

Great news man [clap] super congrats and here we all were suggesting you fiat bravo for your uk stay [lol]
Great news indeed apart from ironrock we have yet another owner who can explain things in easy way to prospective owners . Btw when is it comming ?

Congrats for GHEPARDO "THE XUV 500"
Can you please share us your experience about test driving it.
what was the TOP SPEED you achieved
the comfort difference between both as your a innova user you can easily make out the difference:please:

Saw this earlier on Facebook. was expecting the post here as well. :-)

Congratzz dude for your new Cheetah. But the question I have is will get your hands on your VUX before you go to UK or you have to wait for one year for the same ?? [:D]

Thread Starter #7

Congrats on your booking Raj Sir.
Sir? Who?

When did you booked your Ghepardo.What is the On road price of your Ghepardo.
Booked it today. On road price is 15.80 Lacs.

When the Ghepardo is expected to arrive.What is the waiting period of Cheetah as of now.
Waiting period for the XUV is about 2-4 months depending on the colour.

When will Ghepardo arrive? That's a secret!

Because,I m also gonna book Cheetah(Your Ghepardo's brother) by this year end.
Congrats in advance bro.

let me congratulate you. now as you the rightful owner will be "eligible" to set things right.
Well, dont expect timely updates in this thread... I will be in UK. At max, you will get some delivery experiences and initial impressions.

so when is it arriving? [glasses]
Hush Hush!

Great news man [clap] super congrats and here we all were suggesting you fiat bravo for your uk stay
Great news indeed apart from ironrock we have yet another owner who can explain things in easy way to prospective owners .
Thanks bro.

Btw when is it coming ?
Very soon. [glasses]

Congrats for GHEPARDO "THE XUV 500"
Can you please share us your experience about test driving it.
what was the TOP SPEED you achieved
the comfort difference between both as your a innova user you can easily make out the difference
The test drive experience was pleasant. This is the third time I test drove the XUV.

I did not attempt any high speed runs. The max I could reach on the public road was 120 kmph.

Comfort... Well, the seats of the XUV are much wider and better bolstered than the Innova but I feel the ride quality of the Innova is a tad better. I will confirm this after I get my XUV.

Congratzz dude for your new Cheetah. But the question I have is will get your hands on your VUX before you go to UK or you have to wait for one year for the same ??
Most probably, I should be getting the XUV before going to UK.

Thread Starter #9

^^^ Yes, XUV is one rare car which is cheaper in Mumbai than most other cities, even Delhi which normally gets the cheapest OTRs.

I am still laughing for that word Tingu-Mungu.[lol]

Congrats Raj on Booking XUV, I will wait either for2014 Scorpio or 170 Bhp XUV.[evil]

Last edited:

Congrats Rajeev![clap] And good that you didnt created a teaser thread regarding your next car. I am dam sure each and every one would have guessed it correct.[lol] Nwayz XUV was expected and a good decission.

15.8L for W8 is it? Oh yes White is available in W8 only.
BTW is it MH 03 or MH 43?(Octroi or Octroi less?)

And glad to know that you can go to the airport in your Cheetah errr Ghepardo..:biggrin:

Another cheetah joining the clan[clap], we will get another comprehensive kick a** report about XUV, hope you get the delivery soon

Thread Starter #14

Congrats Raj on Booking XUV, I will wait either for2014 Scorpio or 170 Bhp XUV.
While filling the membership column for the 'Purple Club', I was asked which is your favorite car, I wrote Scorpio. The Sales executive was amused.

Congrats Raj! Have a good time with your cheetah
Thanks man.

Congrats Rajeev![clap] And good that you didnt created a teaser thread regarding your next car. I am dam sure each and every one would have guessed it correct. Nwayz XUV was expected and a good decission.
That is the precise reason I dint do it. You know me quite well by now!

15.8L for W8 is it? Oh yes White is available in W8 only.
BTW is it MH 03 or MH 43?(Octroi or Octroi less?)
MH 03.

Individual registration with Octroi.

And glad to know that you can go to the airport in your Cheetah errr Ghepardo..
[clap]

Another cheetah joining the clan[clap], we will get another comprehensive kick a** report about XUV, hope you get the delivery soon
Well, I would say the delay in delivery would be from my side and not their side (if everything works as planned) as I am going to Kerela soon and wont come back before 5th.

congrats Raj. I knew it would be a XUV. :P but i thought it would be innova replacement. anyhow, congrats for the ride. i know two people who have XUVs now and both are in mumbai now. though my friend i think sold his one already.

Top Bottom