The Blizzard - New Volkswagen Vento Highline TDI – Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Preface:
The thought of New Car (rather the replacement of existing car) was up in the mind when the renewal of Insurance was due on May 2012 and the need for a better comfort car came up. The first thing – Google, where my first search for a new hatchback started (You read it right – started with Hatchback!! though the review title says Volkswagen Vento)

Options List:
My preferences list was just TWO

1. Maruti Swift ZDi (Diesel) – Color : Black
2. Volkswagen Polo 1.2L HL (Diesel) – Color : Red

The petrol variants were not considered at all as I migrated to diesel machines a long time ago, right after our initial car of Maruti Zen (Petrol) to Tata Indica (Diesel). So the hunt started in the Maruti showroom which was very much in my home town.

Test Drives:
1. Maruti Swift ZDi (Diesel):
We went to the showroom very much that weekend to TD the Swift ZDI and below are my experience with the 3-4KM drive

The Looks – Killer design of the new swift (Little disappointment with rear look)
Interiors – Much improved interiors compared to the old model Swift
Performance – The gear shifts and the diesel boost at extra pedal push

Dislikes:
Cramped Rear seats – With the SA on front, the rear was not comfortable for the 3 adults at the back
Waiting Period – The total wait period of 4 Months plus for the Diesel higher end was very disappointing
Maruti Swift ZDi - These discomforts totally eliminated the option out of list

2. Volkswagen Polo 1.2L HL (Diesel)
For the next and only option left in the list, Went to town next door as the showroom is not available in home town. As usual it got delayed to start from home and it was kind of late evening when we reached there and unfortunately all the SAs were busy with some Polo event in a nearby club house. So no luck and no TDs. Another disappointment added to the list. Back to work for some time.

After some time, we happen to go to VW showroom in Chennai for a Polo TD and Yes it was early afternoon and No Polo or any other events and all the SAs are very much available in the showroom to explain.

Had a TD on the Polo 1.2L Highline Diesel and came out with a clear mind that we are booking this machine for sure. While entering the discussion room, my mom happened to had a look at the White Vento is the lobby and asked me,

“What car is that? How much it costs?”

3. Volkswagen Vento 1.6L - Comfortline (Diesel)
There started the twist, turn, swirl and spin in the decisions. Then called the SA for the Vento TD and this time it was Comfortline as price increase from the previous option of Polo highline to Vento Comfortline looks nominal by then.

The Vento was on the road with all of us sitting on it. A happy family sitting comfortable in the rear with SA in the front along with me was driving it. Now is the verdict time.

Plus:
Comfort – The real comfort sedan to drive and ride
Engine – Powerful and feels huge on pedals
Fuel Efficiency – SA was telling me of 18-20 kmpl so even if it is 16kmpl looks decent enough for a sedan like this

Minus:
ICE – Basic Kenwood system with no USB or Aux-in (Vento Comfortline)
No Alloys – Which was one of my preferences in my previous versions
ABS and Airbags – Again a preference of my choice

So then was the problem of decision making as I don’t want to compromise on these minus features.

The Story Begins – Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline
Finally, after lot of discussions, Googling and few visits to the showroom (as it was close to my office) decided on Vento Highline Diesel

But for Candy White, the SA in Chennai showroom asked me to wait for 2 months as he was not sure of the shipment which was another disappointment again. The wait period was real frustrating factor on any car purchase. By then another friend of mine back home got a Vento (Trendline Diesel – White) delivered from a showroom from our town next door’s showroom.

Eureka!! So comes the answer of trying in that showroom (though it involves extra efforts in various ways), called up the SA referred by my friend and he confirms the availability of Candy White – Highline, Hurray!!

So started the Booking process and fixed a date for delivery after 1 week from then, Documentations started as we went for partial Bank Loan (Because of which delivery got delayed a week more). After all the hassles with bank and decision making the Delivery was on the first week of July.

Price Quote: (as on June 2012)
Price List.jpg

Offers:
By the time I booked and got delivery the IPL Offer was over so no luck for the Navi Pad but for the Highline it was Free Insurance offer (Rs.37,000 approx) and got below four items as compliment along with Volkswagen Candy Box,

1. Floor mats (Washable)
2. Mud flaps (Latest Smaller Ones)
3. VW Key Chain
4. Car Cover (Silver)

Apart from the usual discounts, because of my company’s identity got an additional discount of Rs 14,000/- as Corporate Discount.
Finally, Joined the Happy Volkswagen Family [clap]

My Verdict:

Comfort : 4/5
Safety : 4/5
Style : 3/5
Performance : 4/5
Features : 3/5

Time for Some Visual Treat.. - Introducing the Bilzzard [:D]

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.jpg

05.JPG

06.JPG

Time to take a look at the interiors but these are night time pics.

07.jpg

08.JPG

09.JPG

Thanks for spending your time and comments [embarass], Will try to add more pics for you..

P.S: Finally my first review post was up and motoring, sorry if it was so boring and violated any of our forum rules and language too

Thread Starter #3
Congrat's buddy, she look's awesome in First picture any mod's planned? does it come with leather Seats?
Thanks Visran [glasses]

Yeah first pic was so nice, lot of clicks to finalize on this one [:D]

Mods?? Nothing much planned at this time as it loaded with stuffs like RCD310 with USB Support, Parking Sensors and Alloys too

But looking for 3D Mats and P8 Window curtains as my glasses are still plain

Also it comes with leatherette seats for the Highline versions which was super cool but not sure whether to have seat covers for it?? [confused]

Any idea or suggestions on that?

Last edited:
Pr3m.Congrats on a good buy.Smart looking car.I heard the weight to torque ratio in the vento is not as good as the verna.is that true? Also.Can someone tell me how to start a thread.I have a question that I need to ask and its damn critical.Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats for the car buddy
Your vento looks damn cool, great choice. The interiors look super classy

Spend some time with the stock seat covers in my opinion, and post some pics of seat covers also.

I am also planning to get kagu mats soon. Keep us updated.

Again congrats, take care of the beauty.

Congrats buddy on your Vento and the pics are superbbbbbbbbb.
VW is charging so much money extra for the metallic colour ? It's day light robbery .
But anyway you got the white one and it looks super classy on the Vento .

Also it comes with leatherette seats for the Highline versions which was super cool but not sure whether to have seat covers for it?? [confused]

Any idea or suggestions on that?
If it already comes with Leather seat's then there is no need to waste your money on covering it[;)]

Congratulations on your Vento buddy[clap].

Very nice and detail review as well. It's looking really awesome in white. Interiors are looking good too. Its one of the best machines in that segment.

Happy and safe driving with your new acquisition.

Many congratulations for your Vento. The best part of this car is it being the most well designed sedan which has derived from a hatch.

Conrgtulationz for new Vento buddy. You stretched your budget to great extent to buy Vento Highline. Interiors looks nice at night with all those light glowed up. Congratulationz once again.

All i can say is have a happy ride. And congratulations for your new Vento. How about the mileage so far? how many has she clocked so far?

Pr3m congrats for your candy white German beauty, wishing you and your family many happy miles in this car.

Superb shots, nicely written review kindly share more pics and about the performance of the car.

Very Very congratulations for the pick. Its an awesome pick, and the white color looks stunning. Even it was my priority, buy i dint had courage to maintain that so went with Terra-Beige. Enjoy your beauty.
I am planning to get 3d mats and something to protect me from sun's heat. I have heard, Skoda Rapid can be done with sun blinds, is it true?
If it is, i think our Vento can get sun blinds as well.

Thread Starter #14
Pr3m.Congrats on a good buy.Smart looking car.I heard the weight to torque ratio in the vento is not as good as the verna.is that true? Also.Can someone tell me how to start a thread.I have a question that I need to ask and its damn critical.Please help!
Thanks maverickenator for your wishes. Well I am not so sure of the weight to torque ratio lessons but you provoked my thought [roll]

so let it be my first chapter in learning stuffs under the hood

Take a look at 350Z's post on Pictorial Guide On Creating a New Topic and Poll for creating your own thread.

Congrats for the car buddy
Your vento looks damn cool, great choice. The interiors look super classy

Spend some time with the stock seat covers in my opinion, and post some pics of seat covers also.

I am also planning to get kagu mats soon. Keep us updated.

Again congrats, take care of the beauty.
Thanks Rightnow, Stock seats are really cool as you said but still much worried about it getting dirty. Will post more updates on the seat covers and Mats as I am planning to get the quote some time this week.

Do post your inquiry about Kagu mats if you done some. Also what is the quote price there?

Congrats buddy on your Vento and the pics are superbbbbbbbbb.
VW is charging so much money extra for the metallic colour ? It's day light robbery .
But anyway you got the white one and it looks super classy on the Vento .
Thanks a lot dude, yeah Raja not only for colors, I felt already that I have paid premium price for the VW vehicles but trust me after you ride the machine you will really feel its worth it.

VW charges the metallic cost on its variants as below,

Trendline - Non Metallic Colors - Candy White & Flash Red
Comfortline - Non Metallic Colors - Candy White & Flash Red + Metallic Colors - Reflex Silver, Shadow Blue, Deep Black & Terra Beige
Highline - Non Metallic Colors - Candy White & Flash Red + Metallic Colors - Reflex Silver, Shadow Blue, Deep Black & Terra Beige

So you just cannot say its only for the paint as it also comes with various other upgrades. For me White looks so elegant and majestic so do the post on Blizzard Machine [:D]

Congratulations on your Vento buddy[clap].

Very nice and detail review as well. It's looking really awesome in white. Interiors are looking good too. Its one of the best machines in that segment.

Happy and safe driving with your new acquisition.
Thanks a lot singh890 for the wishes. Liked the VW for its build quality and yes it is really one of the best machine in class, Thanks once again buddy.

Thread Starter #15
Many congratulations for your Vento. The best part of this car is it being the most well designed sedan which has derived from a hatch.
Thanks Akash for your wishes [:D]

The Polo and Vento are the co-brothers (or may be co-sisters) as most of the things suits common to both like the floor mats, ICE's, Seat covers (without arm-rest) and Sun Blinds as well.

Infact it is really hard to differentiate the on-coming vehicle if it is either Polo/Vento so well said Akash that 'well designed sedan derived from hatch'

Conrgtulationz for new Vento buddy. You stretched your budget to great extent to buy Vento Highline. Interiors looks nice at night with all those light glowed up. Congratulationz once again.
Thanks dude, you got me dharmesh, it was really a huge leap from hatch to sedan in my budget which took a lot of effort to think through. Really worried for the compromise on the increased budget but now i really feel worth spending the penny.

Interiors are really cool at night though i was also little worried by the time i bought it as all the interior was having the Red base lights but its really mild and comfy.

Pr3m congrats for your candy white German beauty, wishing you and your family many happy miles in this car.

Superb shots, nicely written review kindly share more pics and about the performance of the car.
Thank you so much man. Really happy to have Candy White German Beauty parked in the Home [glasses]

Sure ToughGuy, will try to click more of this beauty for your visual treat.

All i can say is have a happy ride. And congratulations for your new Vento. How about the mileage so far? how many has she clocked so far?
Thanks Marun for the wishes [:)]

Mileage so far??

Well I had a 450 Km ride last week and to my surprise it was clocked to 21.5 kmpl on the highway run with AC on from door to door journey

but after which its all city ride and not hitting 5th gear at all and now its just 14.x -15.x kmpl with AC on

by the way, not crossed 2600 rpm so far as waiting for my odo to hit 1500 kms or so..

Guys, so is it really true not to hit beyond 2500+ rpm on the initial runs or not above 120kmph or so? for the sake of the engine set or something??

Top Bottom