My First Car: Maruti 800 AC 93 Model

Thread Starter #1
This is the story of my first car, My Maruti 800.
From my childhood I was passionate about cars, I have a collection of lots of toy cars with me. In my school days, I learnt to drive using the school van and even the bus [;)] . Sometimes I managed to drive some of my relatives car, but own is own. So the day I got my first salary, I started saving for a car.
A month ago I had a saving of 40000/- so started hunting for a pre-owned car. NOBODY AT MY HOME KNEW ABOUT MY CAR PURCHASE First of all I went to a True value showroom but the budget was too low for a TRUE VALUE car.
Next I started searching the local market and the internet. Cars in the local market were not up to my mark. I met 4 individual sellers via the internet.
1st was a 97 model DX Engineer owned, was demanding 40k. Had few scratches and a broken rear bumper.
Next was a student owned 93 model, was demanding 35k, all tires were gone and he was using an unauthorized gas kit for the past 3 years.
Third I met a govt employee. Had a 97 model AC, excellently maintained engine, but some scratches on the left side. Was demanding 35k, but all in advance before bringing the NOC. Also he wanted me to take a new number which would cost 8k extra. So dropped the idea of buying that.
Finally met the final seller with a 93 AC model. He was demanding 32k. Finally negotiated him to 25k after checking the condition of the car and returning his gas kit.
After doing all the paper work, I took my car to a nearby garage for a full restoration. I was shocked to see the floor of my car "rusted from many places". The mech convinced me saying that he will repair the floor properly.
He also insisted me to repaint the car.

Thread Starter #4
My first DIY in the car

The first DIY I did is LED parking Lights. One evening, after returning from the office I decided to Install LED's instead of the bulb for the parking lamp.
I have used four 3v LED's costing Rs. 3 each. for each light. PCB board and wires were already at home. total cost of the DIY is Rs 24 and time taken is 30 mins.

Photo0186.jpg
Opened the Light and removed the bulb

Photo0187.jpg
LED's soldered together on a PCB

Photo0188.jpg
Properly taped the PCB to prevent any short-circuit, etc

Photo0190.jpg
Lights Installed

Photo0191.jpg
Covers Placed

Attachments

Hi Shantanu.lko congrats for your 800..

Please do post some pic's before restoration.
I guess the door side moldings are not stuck at the rite place it should be below the mark.

DIY is nice.. Have you connected the led's in serial or used a resistor ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Thanks Varun,
I have connected the LED's in series without using any resistor. Yes, the moldings are not in the correct place. The painter stuck them in my absence. [frustration] Is there any way to pull it out and stick it down. I m thinking that if i'll pull them it will leave glue marks etc.

If he has stuck only with the double side sticker you can remove it.. but if he has used any sort of gum then the marks would remain on it..

Thread Starter #8
only double side stickers are used, none of the glues are used. I'll try to remove it and stick back again in the proper position.

By seeing the photos.. I think the car was not in bad condition..

BTW how did you manage to change the color of the car ( RC book & other formalities)

Thread Starter #11
The car was not in a bad condition but had few dents and scratches on both sides. One major problem was the left side A pillar. It was wrecked and was mend only using body filler. It was later repaired properly.
The major reason for painting was that no-one at my home knew about the car, so if I would take it in that condition I may have got scoldings. With a new paint job my dad was impressed a lot and it was also a gift for my mother on Mother's Day.

Regarding the paper-work, The old RC has silver colour mentioned. After the NOC comes, I'll apply for transfer of ownership. A known agent of mine says that he will get White endorsed on the RC that i'll get after the transfer. A total expense of Rs 2200 is expected including all fees, commission etc.

Thread Starter #12
Today bought a Center Console. Installed it and also installed an old cassette player. Installed 3 speakers at the rear. two 3" and one 5".
Photo0192.jpg
Photo0193.jpg
Photo0208.jpg

Photo0207.jpg
removed the gear knob
Photo0209.jpg

Photo0210.jpg
speakers installed in the rear
Photo0212.jpg

Today bought a Center Console. Installed it and also installed an old cassette player. Installed 3 speakers at the rear. two 3" and one 5".
View attachment 51565
View attachment 51566
View attachment 51567

View attachment 51568
removed the gear knob
View attachment 51571

View attachment 51569
speakers installed in the rear
View attachment 51570
it looks good Shantanu.lko.why you install cassette player you can install usb player cost rs 800-rs1000.Is it your centre console is new and what is the cost of it?
what is your future plan

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
I installed the cassette player as I had it from long time back. I have installed a USB player circuit in the player itself. Will replace the Cassette player soon with a custom made amplifier with USB support.
Yes the center console is new. I bought is for Rs 350/-

Future plan is to install a sub and the custom made amp.
I am also willing to cover the gear knob with leather or some similar material.

I installed the cassette player as I had it from long time back. I have installed a USB player circuit in the player itself. Will replace the Cassette player soon with a custom made amplifier with USB support.
Yes the center console is new. I bought is for Rs 350/-

Future plan is and the custom made amp.
I am also willing to cover the gear knob with leather or some similar material.
Thank you,my future plan is also to install a sub but my stereo has bass and treble option so don't want an amplifier.

Top Bottom