Sporty Yet Elegant: My Volkswagen Polo TDI (2 Years & 20,000 Kms Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
MY STORY

BACKGROUND

Well it all started from a promise my dad had made to me in my first year of college(AUG 2007) that the day I pass out from college and start my internship I would be getting a car of my own. He very well knew that I was a car freak and this would keep me going in a place far away from home.

For that matter of fact I had a car to my own( black TATA INDICA V2 diesel 2003 model) from the very days I was in 11th and 12th as my dad was never keen on getting me a two-wheeler and passed on his car to me and bought himself a new one.

This is the only pic i have of my beloved INDICA
22052010310.jpg

Indica was there at my disposal for my day to day works like tuitions etc. I was in love with my Indica as much as it can get. It was a true workhorse and we parted ways with the car last year in March. It had clocked close to 80,000kms without any major troubles in the 8 years we had it with us. A minor issue of the fan belt making noise occasionally was always there and the TATA engineers had no idea how to rectify it.

Coming forward to May 2011 and my dad bought a diamond white Ford Fiesta Classic CLXI diesel. My dad loves driving cars and he has been a rally driver himself before representing INDIAN ARMY. So choosing Fiesta over the lot was not a very difficult job for him. Truly gem of a car with exceptional ride and handling. The car has clocked around 12k kms till date without any shortfalls . Not even a single punctured tyre till date and returning amazing mileage in excess of 20kmpl wid AC on almost 100% times.

301220111541.jpg

In Oct 2011 another addition came to the family as we bought the Hyundai Verna(fluidic) 1.6VTVT SX in sleek silver color. This was basically going to be driven by my sister for her local office commute. The car looks great inside out. Amazing exterior design, interiors too feel good, equipped with loads of gizmos and a great car to be driven in the city with the soft suspension and a light steering wheel. Perfect for her requirements. The car has clocked close to 5000kms and has been absolutely problem free

verna.jpg

Coming back to my story, I was to finish my studies in March 2012 and I started ringing the bells at home that dad I hope you remember the promise you made. Now parents are always smarter and know there kids very well and plan two steps ahead . I wanted to do my internship in Pune itself (see the transformation here – 4 years back I was in tears when my parents were leaving me alone in college and today I’m pursuing them to let me stay here for some more time) and was asking them to get me a car here itself in Pune. They kept a criteria for me “ you’ll get the car only if you come back home and do your internship from Chandigarh” . With many of my college buddies moving to their hometowns for internship, I too decided to go back to Chandigarh and the car plans finally took off in Feb 2012.

BUDGET AND REQUIREMENT

Dad gave me a rough budget of around 6.5 lacs on road and the requirement was for a diesel hatchback as we already have two sedans in the house. The car would be basically used by me in the city and very occasionally on the highways.

THE CONTENDERS

I had my eyes set on the Volkswagen Polo from very long and every time a Polo in red went by I used to stare blankly in admiration till it went outta sight sometimes making a fool out of myself in front of my friends.

But anyways for the sake of it to show my Dad, I made a list of cars that would fit in our requirements.
The ones who made the cut were
1. VOLKSWAGEN POLO

2. HYUNDAI i20

3. SKODA FABIA

4. FIAT PUNTO 2012

5. RENAULT PULSE

SUZUKI SWIFT - I somehow for unknown reasons have never been fond of Maruti Suzuki cars and the Swift even being the most hot selling hatch in the market today was never even considered.

FORD FIGO didn’t make the list as it had the same engine and same interiors as our Fiesta Classic and wouldn’t have given a feeling you get sitting in a new car.

TATA VISTA was not considered as I was upgrading from a TATA Indica only and wanted to get a more premium looking hatch.

NISSAN MICRA – Too girlish looking for my likings. It dint have that sporty character which I was looking for.

TEST DRIVES

Now in the first week of march I came back to Chandigarh. Immediately planned for test drives with Dad in that weekend.
On a Sunday morning, without any prior appointments and phone calls to any dealer we just went to check the vehicles in person and for test drive if available.

I wanted to show my Dad the Polo first so that he can compare it with the others

1. VOLKSWAGEN POLO

We went to VW CHANDIGARH in the morning around 11am and were greeted promptly by SE. He took us near the glacier blue POLO (Highline) standing in the showroom and showed us the vehicle inside out with explaining all the features present. My Dad liked the simplistic and elegant yet sporty design of the Polo. We asked him to show us if he had any Trendline or Comfortline in the stock so that we can compare. The SE promptly got both outside the showroom. We did compare the Trendline and Comfortline and my Dad gave me the permission to go ahead with Comfortline as he thought the base version was way too stripped off. We asked for a test drive and the SE was more than willing to oblige. Immediately he got us a highline diesel test drive car. I took the drivers seat and my Dad in the co-passenger and the SE in the rear. My only fear about Polo was the 3 cylinder engine. That there will be massive turbo lag and the pick up would be horrible. In a minute of my driving the car and I was like hey,it’s not that bad. I loved the feel of the steering and the drive was somewhat comparable to our Fiesta Classic , very planted and stable. Did around 5kms in all and was more than satisfied with the ride.
POLO TL diesel pre-budget cost was 5.65L ex showroom and POLO CL Diesel 6.24L ex-showroom. Left the showroom with a smile on my face.

2. HYUNDAI i20

We went to the Charisma Hyundai and there too were greeted immediately. i20 in blue was standing in the showroom and the SE took us to show the car. It was the Magna variant which we were interested in. My Dad really liked the interiors of the car and it was anyday spacious than the POLO. Steering was very similar to our Fluidic Verna. Diesel Magna priced at 6.11L was close to the POLO CL(6.24L) and offered Automatic climate control , rear defogger and a proper 4 cylinder engine as compared to the former. We asked for a test drive and were offered immediately. It was a diesel sportz variant. Again I took the drivers seat and dad in the co-passenger. The initial pick up was anyday better than the POLO but the steering was way too light for my likings , even lighter than our Verna. We went on the same track where we tested the Polo and the soft suspension setup of i20 was easily noticeable and the drive was very bouncy over rough roads. Lots of vertical movement which I didn’t like. My Dad was of the same idea as he didn’t enjoy the ride and said POLO’s drive was more plush than Hyundai i20.

3. Skoda Fabia

we went to Krishna Autosales immediately after that. The dealership experience was not that good as compared to VW or Hyundai. We went directly to the silver color Fabia standing in the showroom and checked it out by ourselves. Interiors felt on par with the Polo but exteriorly Polo looked far better than the skoda cousin. After spending good 10 minutes around the car we went looking for a SE as they were not even bothered enough to get up from their chairs. We asked for a test drive and were told that their TD car is not available right now. Well this kind of behavior didn’t go down well with my father and I too was vary about the scary skoda after sales and we came out without a test drive and the fabia went sliding out of the list.

4. FIAT PUNTO

Now if you ask me which is the hottest hatch in the country right now , It will be a tie for me. Both POLO and PUNTO look stunningly gorgeous in their own ways. I had in my mind if not a POLO then it had to be a PUNTO. But as destiny has it one of my very close cousin in the family bought a White PUNTO diesel and we dint want to be driving same cars around so PUNTO was too cancelled out from the list even without a TD.

5. RENAULT PULSE

No matter what,this one is a MICRA inside out except for the few exterior touchups RENAULT has given to it. Looks a very confused car to me. Not enough sporty and I’m sure won’t go down with girls too. They will prefer the MICRA anyday over this one. Now this car was never in my list but Dad knew the MD of the local Renault showroom and they were ready to give us a real sweet deal on the diesel PULSE so he just casually told me to go check out the car and if you don’t like it we can go with whatever your choice is. I went to the showroom and saw the car in person and in no time I made my decision and came out even without a TD. I just couldn’t digest the looks. Called up Dad from the showroom and told him “Sorry Dad, NO PULSE for me.”

Meanwhile the Budget hike came and the prices increased by 15-20k depending from variant to variant.[frustration]

We decided to go forward with Volkswagen Polo Comfortline Diesel.

Now the confusion started over the color of the car. I was keen on getting a Black Polo which was refused straight on my face by my Mom due to some religious issues[anger]. Although we have had many black cars in the past she strictly refused this time. So black was out.
My sis was keen on getting me a Flash Red POLO but that again didn’t go down well with my parents and Dad lightly cracked a joke none will think you are a doctor if u come out of such a loud flashy car. He gave me an advice and said go with the color of your profession and that white looks elegant and sophisticated. So white was chosen in the end to which my sis doesn’t agree today also.[:D]

PART 2 coming up shortly....

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Sporty yet Elegant... My CANDY WHITE POLO TDI..

First of all congrates for owning India's hottest hatchback.[clap][clap] Let it keep coming. We all are waiting.[:)]

Thread Starter #3

Now comes part 2 of the story.

My Dad is in the Indian Armed Forces. The previous two cars we had got last year were not bought through CSD(Canteen Stores Department) privileged to him being in defenceas the bookings through CSD were shut that time. My Dad got the sanction for VW POLO diesel through CSD through some special sanction procedure which I’m not aware about in a week’s time and he told me that we can get the car only through the Jalandhar Depot of CSD where we could save about a good 50-60k on the ex-showroom price.

POLO TL ex showroom post budget price were – 5.89L in JALANDHAR and CSD price was 5.32L .
POLO CL ex showroom post budget were 6.48L IN JALANDHAR and 5.91L in CSD.

BOOKING

Dad & I drove down to jalandhar on 28TH March to VW JALANDHAR to give them the CSD sanction letter and to check for the waiting period and delivery. We met the SE called Mr. Joseph there. He is the one who handles all the CSD sales there. We spoke to him and he was kind enough to tell us that he can deliver us a Trendline White at the earliest by 15thApril and that Comfortline would be coming around 30th April. Now I was getting very keen on getting the car and I knew I could get all the accessories from outside which are there in Comfortline except the rear power windows which were of no use to me as I’ll be driving alone most of the times and AC will be on almost 100% times and the rear windows are hardly rolled down . My dad insisted if he could give it us on 13th April which happened to be BAISAKHI kind of an auspicious day for us Punjabis then we will book the Trendline diesel.
We booked the car giving him 20k as booking amount which would be adjusted in the insurance and logistic charges. We opted for the rear parcel tray and the painting of door handles and rear view mirrors from the showroom itself.

Now the money was to be given through a demand draft in the name of CSD jalandhar depot and the draft of 5.32L was submitted on 11th April in CSD depot Jalandhar.

On 12th April evening we got a call from Mr. Joseph telling that the car has arrived and we could take the delivery tomorrow morning itself i.e 13th April. That night I was so excited that I couldn’t even sleep. Just kept dreaming about how my car would look & what all mods I will do on it….[:D]

DELIVERY

On 13th april morning we started from Chandigarh in our Fiesta and reached jalandhar around 11AM. We entered and were greeted by Mr. Joseph and his team. I went out in their backyard where my car was getting cleaned for delivery. I remember the first time I saw her and I just stood thier adoring her for good 10 odd minutes before my cousin came searching for me.

We sat inside it and it felt so nice. Ohh the smell of a new car[:)]. Love it!! Its such a nice odour, I wonder why don’t any perfume companies come out with something of this sorts[:D].hehe kidding.

Did a quick PDI and found everything OK. To my surprise it was a APRIL manufactured car only with just 12kms on the ODO at the time of delivery.

They got the car inside for a small ceremony and they covered it with a nice cloth to be unveiled by us. It’s just these small small things that makes your day special. They also did a small pooja and handed over the keys to my father who handed over it to me. Then we had the cake cutting ceremony and they gave us a framed photograph of us taking the keys and a box of chocolates and two VW coffee mugs. On a complimentary basis they also gave us a 20Litre diesel coupen.

Full marks to VW JALANDHAR on this. Mom did her small pooja too and Sweets were distributed to all their staff Then Mr. Joseph explained me all the features of the car and we were good to go. I told my father to drive it first and my dad n mom sat inside and took it out of the showroom and we followed them in the Fiesta.

IMG00115-20120413-1327.jpg

IMG00116-20120413-1349.jpg

First fuel up.
IMG00117-20120413-1415.jpg

IMG00121-20120414-1510.jpg

My Polo and Verna
IMG00127-20120416-1800.jpg

Total money spent.

Ex- Showroom CSD price – Rs.532451
Logistics - Rs.1000
Insurance(bumper to bumper casheless) – Rs.17841
Painting of OVRM and door handles - Rs.4412
Rear parcel tray - Rs.1315 Total - Rs. 557019

Part 3 coming.....

Thread Starter #4

ACCESSORIES

1. Alloy wheels were on the priority even before I got the floor mats. I was interested in getting the VW POLO highline alloy wheels and getting the same highline spec tyres. Searched a lot in the local market and did find a couple of shopkeepers having them but somehow they never clicked and it dint feel worth the money I was spending on them.
Decided on getting 15 inches after market chrome alloy wheels with the same highline spec tyres i.e. 185/60/15 which only comes in Apollo Accelere and Good Year.

Cost of alloy wheels(set of 4) - Rs 16800
cost of 185/60/15 appolo accelere Rs.16000 for 4 tyres
cost reduced by exchanging the rims and tyres - Rs 12000
Total amount paid - Rs.20800

IMG00133-20120419-1332.jpg

IMG00135-20120419-1420.jpg

IMG00136-20120419-1423.jpg

IMG00134-20120419-1414 - Copy.jpg

Got the same spec as highline - Appolo Accelere 185/60/ R15
16062010023.jpg

2. IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

I am a music lover no doubt but I’m not too finicky about it. I listen to soft rock and a bit of hip-hop and not very fond of listening music at high volumes. I have a huge collection of CD’s of old classics from Beatles, Iron Maiden,Guns n Roses and any CD player with decent set of speakers would have done a great job for me.No need of any Amplifiers and woofers for me.

I went hunting around and luckily for me I found a Original Head unit RCD 210 mp3 player removed from a new POLO Highline just a week back. I would be missing out on Aux and USB portability but then even in my Fiesta I use my CD’s rather than the Aux wire. Whenever I want to play from my phone it has radio transmission software which plays if you select the same frequency on the audio system as being transmitted by the phone. Works just perfect for me.
I got it fitted with a set of four speakers – 2 in the front doors (JBL 150Watts) and 2 -KICKER 550watts behind in the parcel tray. The rear speakers are simply amazing and have a very high quality sound and the front door JBL’s have more of BASS than the sound quality itself. But the combo works very nice and the head unit completely changes the look from inside and now looks more plush and I really have no regrets not waiting for a comfortline that time.

16062010020.jpg

The OHU completes the interior panel and the fit and finish is impeccable.
16062010019.jpg

At Night
IMG-20120421-WA002.jpg

KICKER rear parcel tray speakers have great Sound Quality.
16062010021.jpg

3. Carpet floor mats (beige color) specially designed for Polo.
16062010018.jpg

4. Aftermarket Fog lamps costed me around Rs.3500 including fitment and look similar to the ones in highline and add to the exterior beauty of the car. No wire cutting was required and I got a written certificate from the shop in case of any warranty being voided due to this fitment. They are very popular here in north as I see almost many TL and CL with these fog lamps. Hardly any increase in night visibility though.

14062010003.jpg

IMG00129-20120418-1323 - Copy.jpg

Re: Sporty Yet Elegant: My Candy White Volkswagen Polo TDI

@gm88 buddy congrats for owning such a beautiful car , i my self considered a polo when we are looking for 2nd car in our family but iam confuse between hatch back and sedan and then finally now iam a proud owner of fludic verna sx crdi , polo is beautiful car with excellent build quality .wish you happy and safe miles ahead with her and yes i think the picture of verna and indica are clicked in rohtang pass is it so.

Thread Starter #6

ACCESSORIES PLANNED for later are –

1. 3M Sun Film – will get them as soon as I get my permanent registration number. Lots of chalan on temperory numbers here in Chandigarh specially mine being a Punjab number.

2. Beige Stanley seat covers maybe by the year end. Happy to soil my original ones for now.

3. Found the head lamps to be on the weaker side. Will be upgrading them with more powerful ones shortly.

4. Illuminated Door sills.

INITIAL DRIVING EXPERIENCE

I got in the driving seat after getting the tank full done near the showroom itself. POLO gulped down a decent 40Liters in a go. We straight headed back to Chandigarh. Initial 40-50kms it was getting really difficult for me to get used to the turbo lag and I was having a little trouble overtaking as I was trying my best to keep the revv below 2500RPM. After getting the rough ideas of the gear ratios in no time I was easily cruising at 100kmph and the needle lazily hovering around 2200RPM mark.

I have driven around 700kms in two weeks and mostly it has been in the city itself. Now I have my hands set over the gears as and when to downshift or upshift. Ride and Handling is comparable to Fiesta and anyday better than the Verna.The brakes are good too and the car stops exactly where you want it to. Cornering at 70kmph is smooth and confidence inspiring without any understeer or body roll and the car feels very planted and glued to the road.

OVERALL BUILD QUALITY

The build quality and fit and finish of the material used in this car are one of its strongest points. Just closing the doors signifies how well this car is built. The 3 stage doors close with a strong thud, creating an impression of a tank-like build. The car radiates a feeling of solidity. Not a single panel seems flimsy, and each is screwed to the other very firmly.

MILEAGE/ FUEL EFFICIENCY

I generally check by the thankful to thankful method and its still early days to assess the mileage of my POLO but on an average I’m getting 17kmpl in my 700kms of driving which I think is good enough but should improve in the coming days.

What I liked in this car

- Awesome Torque
-Plush Ride & Handling
- Air Conditioner is a real chiller
- Suspension (very smooth)
- Interior quality and finish
- Badge
- Fuel efficient
-Turning radius is very small. Really helpful in the city.
-Rear Boot release from the large VW logo.

What I didn’t like
- Engine clatter when you press the clutch.
-Initial Turbo lag in 2nd and 3rd gears.
- 60/55 H4 bulbs are inadequate and calls for a change.

Some more pics

14062010002.jpg
14062010001.jpg
IMG00138-20120420-1718.jpg
IMG00137-20120419-1423.jpg
14062010007.jpg

Overall it has been an awesome ride so far, I am desperately waiting for the weather to simmer down a little, so that I can venture out on my first long drive to Rajasthan that I’ve been planning for ages. Let’s see when it actually happens. Till that time happy motoring guys.

Take care of your rides and drive safe.CHEERS!![cheers]

Thread Starter #7

First of all congrates for owning India's hottest hatchback.[clap][clap] Let it keep coming. We all are waiting.[:)]
thanks mate. Your wait is over i guess. I've put the little review from my side.
@gm88 buddy congrats for owning such a beautiful car , i my self considered a polo when we are looking for 2nd car in our family but iam confuse between hatch back and sedan and then finally now iam a proud owner of fludic verna sx crdi , polo is beautiful car with excellent build quality .wish you happy and safe miles ahead with her and yes i think the picture of verna and indica are clicked in rohtang pass is it so.
thanks mate. congrats on your fluidic verna too. Yes,The INDICA pic is at ROHTANG pass but the VERNA one is at PATNITOP on the way to SRINAGAR.

Congrats GM88 for your new Polo wishing you and your family many happy miles, very well written review purely unbiased and straight from heart.

Same pinch we got same color and variant, did the purchase through CSD opened up again? Last year around May-July (2011) while i10 purchase i inquired from CSD but it was temporarily closed.

By the way nice choice of alloy.

@gm88 patnitop is a beautiful place to be in ,Paragliding, Camping and trekking just add the more edge , hey buddy i myself plan to get some basic stuff for my car from Chandigarh like 3d matts, seat covers , steering cover , sun films , scuff plates do you have any idea which the best place in chandigarh to get this stuff install and yes one more thing is there is any Stanley showroom in Chandigarh .

Thread Starter #10
Congrats GM88 for your new Polo wishing you and your family many happy miles, very well written review purely unbiased and straight from heart.

Same pinch we got same color and variant, did the purchase through CSD opened up again? Last year around May-July (2011) while i10 purchase i inquired from CSD but it was temporarily closed.

By the way nice choice of alloy.
Thanks a lot ToughGuy. CSD purchase is still closed but there is a procedure to get the car through a special sanction from Army Head Quarters ,New Delhi where you can get the car on CSD price from a specific Depot only. That's why I had to pick my car from Jalandhar.

@gm88 patnitop is a beautiful place to be in ,Paragliding, Camping and trekking just add the more edge , hey buddy i myself plan to get some basic stuff for my car from Chandigarh like 3d matts, seat covers , steering cover , sun films , scuff plates do you have any idea which the best place in chandigarh to get this stuff install and yes one more thing is there is any Stanley showroom in Chandigarh .
well you can get whatever you want in sector 28 market here in Chandigarh .there are lots of shops there with all the stuff you require.I go mostly to CAR LIFE in sector 27. You will get sun films,seat covers,scuff plates,etc there itself. I dont know about a Stanley showroom here but I can check and let you know in a day or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

@gm88 thanks in advance buddy , hey car life is it in sector 28 d or 27 ?

350Z

Core Team

Fantastic review. Congrats for buying Polo. She’s a sure shot looker and a set of black tints will further enhance her appeal. Nice to find another Fiesta owner. I would also love to read about her too. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #13

@gm88 thanks in advance buddy , hey car life is it in sector 28 d or 27 ?
the one i'm referring to is in sector 27.
Fantastic review. Congrats for buying Polo. She’s a sure shot looker and a set of black tints will further enhance her appeal. Nice to find another Fiesta owner. I would also love to read about her too. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks a lot 350Z. yup black tints will enhance the looks but i'll have to wait till the time i get my permanent registration number which will take atleast 2 months. I know Fiesta needs a write up. It's such a beautiful car to drive.It's a paradise for any enthusiast. I'l try writing up whenever i get time next.[:)]

Wow this polo is looking hot! Just get some tints and the game is over!
BTW this is for the first time I am seeing after market foglamps for the polo. Never knew that those were out in market.
The Alloys looks good too. Also why did you went for the 185 section? Atleast you should have gone for 195. :biggrin:
Nways also you have nice rides in your garage; A Fiesta, A Fluidic and a POLO all wise decisions made. [clap]

Thread Starter #15

Wow this polo is looking hot! Just get some tints and the game is over!
BTW this is for the first time I am seeing after market foglamps for the polo. Never knew that those were out in market.
The Alloys looks good too. Also why did you went for the 185 section? Atleast you should have gone for 195. :biggrin:
Nways also you have nice rides in your garage; A Fiesta, A Fluidic and a POLO all wise decisions made. [clap]
thanks a lot gears1313. Well i went for 185 sections so that i do not void my suspension warranty. kept at the same spec as the highline model comes with. Upsizing would have voided that as i confirmed it with my SE.
And yup,the after market fog lamps for polo are out and they do look very much the same as the company fitted ones.[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom