My Pre-Owned Tata Safari 3.0 - Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Would like to share my experience with Tata Safari 3.0 that I bought a few days back, March 17th to be precise.

I had Tata Estate (bought in 2004) and drove it happily for 7+ years. As I was always fascinated by huge cars (SUVs), decided to sell this off and go for Safari.

Initially checked one used Safari in Pune but didn't really like it. It was 2004 model and the asking price was around 3 lacs. The condition was not really that good. Also checked on the net for good vehicles and most of the good ones were beyond my budget.

Happened to visit Ahmednagar on March 17th weekend and thought of checking the vehicles there. In the evening just dropped in into Hundekari Motors (authorized Tata dealer there) and found one Safari.

The vehicle was full of dust from outside as it was parked there for sometime, but the interiors were really good. The guy there said that the cost is 3 lacs and as I had a budget of around 4 lacs, I readily accepted the offer.

Frankly, I was so eager to buy Safari that I didn't even bother to negotiate or take the vehicle to any mechanic for testing. Just paid the amount in cash and took possession of the vehicle. I am the 3rd owner.

I had no specific version of the vehicle in mind though some of my friends suggested that if I have to buy a Safari then better go for Dicor engine. Luckily I got 3.0.

The vehicle has completed 1.61K km but the condition is extremely good. The interiors are very well maintained with a CD player and a screen (I guess that's company fitted though I am not sure). As I have never gone into technical (mechanical) details of any vehicle, cannot comment on the condition from that standpoint.

As an end user of the vehicle, I am pretty satisfied. Had been to Mumbai yesterday for some work and the ride was really enjoyable in this vehicle. I don't really enjoy driving fast, but touched 100km speed few times. Otherwise most of journey was at the speed of around 90.

Yet to service the vehicle. There are a few minor issues noticed while driving like jerks while releasing the clutch, or the vehicle does not accelerate immediately, etc. I hope that these will be sorted out after servicing. I am assuming that I will have to spend around 50-60K to replace / service the critical parts of the vehicle.

Will upload few snaps of the vehicle in a day or two. I am so happy after buying this vehicle, that I have no intention of comparing this with any other version or car in its category. I believe that any vehicle if driven and maintained properly can serve its purpose - driving pleasure !!!

Looking forward to helpful tips from Safari owners / admirers about exploiting this vehicle to its maximum.

Happy motoring.

Re: My Tata Safari 3.0

Congratulations on your Safari. I would suggest that you give your Safari for service sooner than later. It is always advisable to service a second hand car as soon as one buys it.

Congrats again and hope to see pictures soon.

Cheers[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats for the Safari.Best advisable is to give your SUV a servicing sooner as the vehicle was kept at the dealer for some time i guess.Waiting for the pictures.

Congrats for the beast buddy[clap]. First thing that i will suggestyou is to go get the CAR service. So that if in case there is any prob, it can be taken care of.

And yes waiting for some pics buddy. It is an awesome BEAST.

350Z

Core Team
Welcome to The Automotive India. You seem to be a huge fan of Safari. Congrats for the acquisition. It would have been wise to get the car checked from a mechanic though but I hope it serves well. Do upload some snaps soon for our viewing pleasure. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

congrats on your new aquisition mate. kudos to your adventurism of buying a used car without checking it out.post a few snaps of the beauty please.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks to all.

Here are the few snaps. The registration is of Nandurbar RTO, planning to get it registered at Ahmednagar or Pune, waiting for NOC.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Have booked the slot for servicing on Apr 3rd, let's see how many parts I have to replace.
Congrats for your 3.0. I admire your guts to go in for a Safari the way you have gone. The 3.0 is a reliable engine and will serve you well if you take its proper care. However, this engine was discontinued in 2007 and hence some parts may be very difficult to source. I generally refrain from making such commments but looking at your vehicle does not give me the confidence that the vehicle has been taken care of nicely.The stance of the vehicle, the colour , the fitment of various body panels somehow doesn't give me confidence. I hope that I am wrong! Please drive the vehicle for a few thousand kilometres and only then spend anymore money on it. All the best and keep us posted.

The love and affection you have towards a Safari is really evident from your words. Also, from the pics it looks a really well maintained example. Wishing you many happy miles with this beast. Do update us on the mileage you are getting with this 3 ltr beats.

freakdude.

Your guts are really appreciated by friend. Vehicle looks really neat. Tyres also look in condition except the spare wheel.
Please share more details of your beauty. Milage, ride, experience. etc.
Frankly, I would have never taken this chance on a 1.60k vehicle.
Congratulations!!

The vehicle is really maintained really nice , hope it serves you very very nicely and bring a big smile on your face whenever you drive it .

Thread Starter #15
Left a vehicle at the service center today morning for the servicing. The estimate is around 43K, that includes few accessories like side-steps, etc. It might go up a bit, but just hoping that it doesn't cross 50K. Expecting it back by Saturday.

I have driven 900+ km after buying this vehicle and I am extremely happy with my choice. The royal experience while driving Safari cannot be expressed in words and I am sure most of the people would agree with me.

Didn't bother to check the average yet, but I can confidently say that its above 10 km/ltr with AC (all the time). My average running in a year would be around 10-15K km so I am not really concerned about its fuel consumption. The sole purpose of buying a Safari
is for long distance trips with my family AND of course my passion for this vehicle. Otherwise, I got a Nano as well for city conveyance :)

As it's a used vehicle with a considerable mileage, it is obvious that the looks might not be that good. I will try to put few things in place so its original beauty is restored.

Will update once I get my Safari back from servicing. May be it would be worth checking the average then, just for record :)

Till then, Cheers !!!

Top Bottom