My First Car – Maruti 800 A/C

Thread Starter #1
Necessity

Buying a car without earning a single paisa was never my intention, but as my fate had in store for me, I had to lighten the burden of my parents’ pockets, and be the proud owner of my first car, thanks to certain developments that took place in past few months.

I was unfortunate enough to break my leg in the month of August and even two months after removal of plaster I had not regained my original walking capability. To make already bad things worse, my college is situated in the outskirts of the city and requires at least 1 km walk to reach the bus stop. After quite a few woeful incidents of being chiselled by auto drivers and misguided by bus conductors, I decided that it is high time I get a vehicle for myself.

Problems encountered

Being a complete novice in matters of vehicles, it was not easy for me to decide upon a car to buy. First of all, I had no idea what so ever about cars. Secondly, even if I buy one, its maintenance as well as the cost for the same would create a problem. Lastly, and most important of all, I don’t know how to drive.

Search starts

But my desire to be independent of the public transport system drove me towards driving. So finally, in the month of November I decided that I would get a basic, small car which would serve my purpose without being too heavy on my pocket. The first question was whether to buy used vehicle or a new one. After reading a few reviews and essays on this subject (a detailed comparison is available in this site itself), I decided to opt for used car. The second question was which car to buy. The obvious choice was Maruti 800. I had a few other cars also to choose from, like Tata Nano, Maruti Alto Lx or LXi and Reva. In fact, Reva was my first choice because my requirement is very limited and restricted within the city limits. Also, the running cost is almost nothing when compared to the sky-rocketing petrol price. Further, it requires very little driving skills.

But, along with pros, the cons were also glaring. First of all, getting a second hand Reva is not very easy. Though lately the city of Bangalore is witnessing quite a few Revas, there aren’t too many for sale in the used category. A Reva would also be more expensive, compared to 800 or Nano. Most important of all, I won’t be able to learn much of driving if I use a Reva. Therefore, it was soon out of my list.

Second option was Nano, which was also eliminated at the first instance. If asked for reason, I won’t be able to provide much, except for the fact that I don’t like its looks. So, in spite of its fuel efficiency and low cost, I decided to go for Maruti 800, the trusted and faithful companion of average Indian consumers.

Here I admit that Maruti Alto gave a tough competition. It possesses all the qualifications of 800 and some more. But I had to keep in mind my budget and the fact that I will use the car to learn driving, so finally I decided that Maruti 800 is the car for me. (This site and the comments posted by everybody has helped me a lot to decide).

Experience of checking up cars

It is never easy for a first time individual newbie to buy a car. In reply to my advertisement “I want to buy a car” in various websites I started getting calls from all sorts of people at all hours owning cars of multifarious specifications. So irksome was the experience that I wanted to throw away my phone and post another advertisement – “I DON’T WANT to buy a car.” This is the time when I got an advice that it is better to buy a car from reliable dealers like Maruti True Value. Thus started the second phase of my car search.

Now that I had streamlined my choice, it was comparatively easy. I contacted the True Value dealers in Bangalore, went to check up in two or three showrooms, distributed my phone number among all like free candy and then waited breathlessly for a call to come from any of the dealers.

Finally…..

Though it took me only a few minutes to type, in reality two months had elapsed before that eagerly-waited-for call came. In the meanwhile, I joined a driving school to learn the basics. (that is another story in itself. May be I can post it if readers are interested.)

Just last week, a salesperson from a True Value Dealer called me up to inform that they have a car which meets my demands, and asked me to take a look at it. Here came the most difficult part – to inspect a car without knowing anything about vehicles. Though I had religiously gone through the exhaustive guide posted in this site on examination of used car, when I was actually faced with the situation, I felt like a blind man in bamboo forest.

One example – Me: the tread is supposed to be 8mm, isn’t it? Can I get a scale?

Salesman: Madam, take this Re. 1 coin. It will serve the purpose better.

Well, without displaying my ignorance further, I would simply state that I may not have been able to decide upon buying it if a car expert and experienced driver had not come to help me that day.

It seemed the battery required replacement and the tyres (tread, huh!) would not last more than 10,000 km. the dealer agreed to fix up the abovementioned problems.

Delivery

After some deliberation, I decided that I would be adopting the car as my first ever vehicle. I booked the car by paying Rs. 5,000 and waited eagerly for it to get fixed for delivery. There was a little hassle as to the delivery date, but finally I took possession of my car on 8th March, 2012. Incidentally, it also happened to be Holi. I have named her “Margarita”, in short “Meg”.

Experience

Since I haven't learnt enough to drive the car on my own, I can’t write anything about that now. I am taking lessons from friends and hope to learn to drive independently soon. The seat adjustment is a little problematic and the gear is a bit hard, but the rest is ok. May be in future I can write about my experience with it.

Advice to first time car buyers, especially girls

From my meagre experience that I have gathered in past few months I am suggesting the following guidelines to those who are completely novice in matters of vehicles:

 Please do not go just by appearance, colours or ‘it looks chooo cute’ factor, especially when you are buying used car.
 Decide upon your budget, requirement and other features (A/C, PS, navigator, or if you are willing to invest a good amount, then automatic transmission)
 Check whether you will be able to maintain it or not in future, which includes both financial as well as maintenance knowhow.
 Preferably know at least the basics of driving before buying a car
 Sit in the driver’s seat and check whether you are comfortable with seating position. That’s the problem which I am facing currently.
 Take someone along with you who is not only good at driving but also does not flinch at the prospect of peeping under the bonnet because no matter how much theoretical knowledge you may have, ultimately it is practical experience that will be required here.
 If you want to be a good driver, then please take some interest in technical aspects of automobiles and do not leave the responsibility entirely on the male members of the family.

Happy Motoring!

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Congrats Brutus. That’s a very straight from the heart write up that literally describes the dilemma of a novice car buyer. I am sure that the tips suggested from your own point of view are going to benefit many more prospective buyers who are stuck in a similar situation. I would also like to read about your experiences while learning driving lessons in a new thread which would assist other members. Please don't forget to upload some pictures of the car soon. Good luck.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: My First Car – Maruti 800 A/C

Congrats Brutus!
I can understand what you feel right now. And your advice is something very valuable for every new (first time) buyer. I too recently bought a Maruti 800AC and now slowly I am learning technical aspects etc.

This is the place where you have amazing petrolheads, they can surely help you out with anything (I MEAN IT) in your car. Not just theoratical but also practical.

There are a couple of threads (MUST READ THREADS) like
Maruti 800 engine overhaul after 2lac kms!
DIY - remote boot opener & petrol tank lid & some more

Keep revving & driving

Congrats Brutus on your very first car and thats a very nice name "Margarita" to name your car [:)]

After reading your ownership review i am thinking of starting my own report since i am also a novice and just learnt how to drive. Thank you for the inspiration.

Do post some pictures of your ride.

Well Brutus first congrats for your acquisition of “Meg”

That was a well written review and you have given all the aspects which is appreciated. Good that this forum has helped you a lot in decision-making.

Though it took me only a few minutes to type, in reality two months had elapsed before that eagerly-waited-for call came. In the meanwhile, I joined a driving school to learn the basics. (that is another story in itself. May be I can post it if readers are interested.)
Us enthusiasts like to hear from you on this topic.

 Please do not go just by appearance....
....buying a car male members of the family.
These are the key points to know about the automobiles and this is especially for women. Guess you can start a separate thread on this. Jot down all your experiences you face, then take suggestions from our side.

EDIT: You missed an important aspect in your review! PICS!

:offtopic::Well,if I am not wrong then we have got a female member amongst us[clap],its great to see lady enthusiasts.

That was really a very good write up.Congrats for your car..and the last line was really something worth teaching to women drivers.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks everybody. I could not upload the pictures due to some problem with my camera's memory card.

As for starting a thread specially for female drivers, it would be entirely my pleasure to do so once I have gathered some experience in this field. I don't want to sound gender biased, but unfortunately most women drivers, even the good ones have very little idea about automobile maintenance and other technicalities. I seek assistance from the boys in this regard, especially for the technical aspects.

Congrats for the car "brutus"
It is indeed one cheaper to maintain car ,

Have happy miles of driving.

I bet , you drive better than other women since you are so interested in vehicles!

Pictures ??

It took 1.67. As for driving, I hope to be a good driver in near future.
Thanks for the warning, Bangloreites wander around at your own risk [lol]

On a serious note though, excellent writing skills and what i appreciate the most is your ability to learn using the forum chatter and then the initiative towards buying.

Also good to hear that the choice was made after good deliberation (and not on impulse - choo cute in your words)

Please keep posting your experiences and also the technical aspects as you come across(would make an interesting read).

Top Bottom