Tata Manza Ownership Experience: Eighth Year

Thread Starter #1
It started with a unique buying experience.

Not a recommended practice.
Do it at your own risk.

I have ordered the car over phone [:)]
No TD
No PDI by me
I have not gone to the show room at all.

Car was door delivered to my Home.

Not gone to a TATA showroom even for an enquiry and seen the car only after it is delivered to our home.

(One guy came to my office to confirm the model and colour, collect the documents and cheque.)

Visited the showroom for the first time during 1st free service only.

Why so ?
Please read on.

It was in last month of 2010 when I moved to a different location and felt the need for a new car.

Budget: No pre determined budget.

I am not going for premium brands anyway (read The big three Merc-Audi-BMW and the like)

Several options were considered, thought about, researched and reviewed.

During the process of checking car makes for the last one year and from the impressions derived during discussions, found an analogy with restaurants:-

Maruti:
Maruti is like a popular restaurant which is frequented by people, always crowded. Service is very good and they please their customers with a smile and courteous attention.
Quantity served is very less (many times its not at all sufficient). But taste is OK and plates are neat and prices cheap. So no complaint from customers.
Only issue is they add a little extra salt in all dishes and items served. May not be a big issue with regulars and more over they get addicted but for those who taste it once in a while, its irritating.
This restaurant is so popular that regular customers are ready to wait endless hours just for a lunch or dinner.

Hyundai:
Food is good, taste is oK, plates and utensils are of pleasing quality.
But waiters are unpredictable - some times show extra courtesy.
Some times one can expect some small stones in the food served.
Prices are cheap but a little bit costlier than the most popular one.
This is also a popular restaurant and enjoy a loyal customer base.

Mahindra:
Earlier it was a Dhaba with back breaking hard benches as seats and serving hot desi rotis sufficient to quench the hunger pangs.
Later they added some AC rooms with cushioned seats.
Now a days they serve good food in extravagant utensils.
Don't get surprised if there are spoons and forks with flashing lights and shining plates with LED.
Again its a popular outlet with a loyal customer base.

TATA:
A classy looking restaurant with excellent infrastructure.
Serving hygenic and healthy food. However taste is not that good and some people may not like it. Quantity per serving is very high (but ironically this adds the dislike of some).
Waiters are not interested to serve you and also behave lethargic sometimes.
While there is no issue with the food, you can expect niggles like a bend spoon, a fork with one finger missing, waiter giving you salt when you were actually asking for Sugar.
Pricing is cheap and people who can live with the niggles frequent it.

FIAT:
Inside the TATA restaurant, you can see a few tables in one corner marked seperately.
Same food is served there but they differentiate by curvy tables and chairs and a thick looking table cloth. Menu is same but prices are higher.
Those tables are almost empty except for a few (one or two) customers sitting there and shouting to themselves and also to others that its different.

Others: - Toyota, Honda, VW etc....
Menu is priced high and for each and everything including the usage of spoons and plates and handwash you need to pay extra.

Premium Brands: Not for commons unless sponsered by somebody. Even in the case of sponsership, one has to pay an entry fee and an exit fee too which itself is beyond the limits.

About Manza - TATA Manza Quadrajet Aqua

Pictures - Exterior http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-manza-ownership-experience-3.html#post139002
Pictures - Interior http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-manza-ownership-experience-4.html#post139115

What is good about Manza and What is not good. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-manza-ownership-experience-8.html#post144372

Last edited:
Re: After one year - Manza ownership experiance

Nice foodie startup.Waiting for the main course.

Re: After One Year - Manza Ownership Experience

Yes I was always waiting for this thread to come up,now finally it has.And knowing autosafari for the last 5 months I can vouch that this is going to become one of the most iconic threads in TAI History.So brother auto keep it coming and yes one final thing,"Congrats on your Manza----its the best car Tata has ever made, period."And only story telling won't help, we need few pics as well,any camera angle advice needed you can always count upon fellow TAIan and proud Manza owner HR aka highway ranger.[;)]

Waiting for more...eagerly.

Thread Starter #5

Nice foodie startup.Waiting for the main course.
Thanks droy its coming soon.

haha nice start really! feeling hungry now [:)]
Thanks Thetraveller.

Yes I was always waiting for this thread to come up,now finally it has.And knowing autosafari for the last 5 months I can vouch that this is going to become one of the most iconic threads in TAI History.So brother auto keep it coming and yes one final thing,"Congrats on your Manza----its the best car Tata has ever made, period."And only story telling won't help, we need few pics as well,any camera angle advice needed you can always count upon fellow TAIan and proud Manza owner HR aka highway ranger.[;)]

Waiting for more...eagerly.
Dear Xover,

Thanks for your kind words.
Pictures are on the way.

@autosafari, nice write up of the restaurants. Waiting for the review of the food you purchased.

Haha that's a really nice start and something different with various falvors. Congratualtions for the Manza buddy and waiting to read more. And yes Pictures please[:)]

lxi.

Suspended

Nice foody startup Buddy! Now, write about which Dish did you purchased and the colour of the plate also! How the Taste after one year of having that dish?
Pics of the tasty dish and plate pleaase!
Anyways, Now no kiddign,
Congrats on your manza, Whcih colour purchased? Is is white? Any niggles? or Breakdowns till 1 year? Servicing costs? Pictures?

Well! It was high time you started this thread.

Though we knew that you had a Manza, let us hear your experience the last one year with it.

Thread Starter #10

Selection process:

As mentioned earlier, several options were considered.

From the cute little Nano to the mighty Aria.
That include Alto, A Star, Santro, Wagon R, i10, i20, Polo, Logan, Swift, Ritz, Figo, Etios, Accent, Verna, Fiesta, City, Vento, Vista, Indigo, Manza, Punto, Linea, Sumo Grande, Scorpio, Safari, Yeti, Laura, Corolla altis and some more.

Oops!!! Thats a big list across catagory and segments.

If I enquire and interact with Dealers and do TD and make a comparison, it can take at least one year.

was thinking of a combi too - one new car (at the lowest possible cost) and an SUV which could be new or used.

Thread Starter #11

Selection process cont...

I need to remove some (in fact most of) the cars from the list and make it somewhat sensible.

Nano was considered because I thought of having it only for going to office which is 5 km away from my home. Also it would be useful for the once in two days trip to the crowded market.

And to have a Safari for week ends and long highway trips.

But there is an issue - current Safari build quality is not to my satisfaction and there is no reliable info about the launch of new Safari.

Another option was Aria. But on a second thought I could not justify myself for paying that much. Only the top model attracted me but felt that the asking price was too much for a TATA car which was looking like an Innova in first glance. [evil]
(sorry The Xover - but that was my thoughts at that time.)

Last edited:

@autosafari, what is wrong with build quality of Safari , at that price? Isn't it called as poor man's Pajero? ,please elaborate.

Thread Starter #13

@autosafari, what is wrong with build quality of Safari , at that price? Isn't it called as poor man's Pajero? ,please elaborate.
Hi Tornado,

we can have a detailed discussion in Safari thread.

I am just giving a brief explanation here.

For me build quality is different from strength of the vehicle and structurals.

Build quality is something how best the car is assembled. This is a combination of design and assembly process.

A car with better build quality will remain intact after several years of use.

Poor build quality shows up in a car after 3 or 4 years or even earlier in case of bad roads. See a 3 or 4 year old Safari and an Innova. We can make out the difference.

I humbly suggest further discussions on Safari could be carried out in Safari thread.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

Selection process cont...

Keeping the SUV/Big car option as a second car in mind, started looking for the other car in the combi - a small car.

Nano is cute but I did not like the looks.

Alto, A Star - Rejected since I could not get in [lol]

Beat - Different looks and an impossing stance for a small car.
but could not short list because of various reasons.

Santro - It has evolved a lot from the cockroach inspired design when launched for the first time. However it is serving a long notice period before stopping the production.

Ritz - What am I thinking? No I cannot live with that design.
Indica - No
Swift - No
VW Polo - It is so cramped in the back seat. Rejected

i20, Vista, Figo, Punto, Wagon R, i10 - short listed

Last edited:

Top Bottom