First of all let me tell you these are the last days of this big beast with us, my father is coming back to india and unfortunately selling the Patrol.
My dad was always a car fanatic, we had A Hummer H2, a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T ( I had posted a review in the old version of TAI
back in 2009), though a monster, was a pretty cramped machine. And we had sold the Hummer.
In 2011 december the New Nissan Patrol was launched in the middle east . Me and Dad went to check out the vehicle. The showroom guy showed us a Black patrol and the new features it sports over the previous model ( i'll get back to the features later ).
Then straightway he took us to a special offroading track nissan has made to demonstrate the potentials of its Suvs. The SA showed us what all the patrol could do, my father was pretty impressed !
We checked out couple of other SUVs of the same class - The Lexus Lx570 , Toyota Land Cruiser 5.7 V8, Land Rover discovery HSE, Mercedes Gl, the X5 and the Infiniti QX( basically same as patrol other than the batch).
None of these could blow our hearts the way the big Nissan did.
Finally a Purple Nissan patrol LE was standing outside the showroom ready to be delivered to us.
This car is leagues ahead in everything as compared to the older model, which felt totally outdated and utilitarian.
Nissan did couple of "segment first" while developing this car. First of all the engine - The 5.6 litre V8 churns out Nice 400 horses mated to an 8 speed box . This engine according to Nissan sports the world's first Direct Injection Gasoline system. Not a single vibration is felt when you are sitting inside although its bit audible when accelerating hard ( After all its a V8!)
Then comes the suspension, A segment First ! Hydraulic independent Shock absorbers , resulting in the smoothest of ride over the harshest terrains.
Few things which deserve to be told about the patrol -
1. A beautifully stitched Complete leather interior ( and i mean Pure leather ) with an option of black or beige shade. We opted for the beige one.
2. Nice Sofa like huge electric seats with height detector.
3. Electrically adjustable steering collumn
4. Electrochromic sunroof
5. Terrain response control ( just like a range rover)
6. Hill ascent and decent control along with auto park brake
7. Nissan vehicle command system ( like the i Drive of BMW) which hosted couple of offroading menus along with A BOSE entertainment package with independent rear and front screens , a 80GB hard drive and two wireless headphones.
8. Wide angled front and rear view cameras, a combination of cameras for the 360 degree view of the vehicle with graphical representation.
9. Two roof mounted Radars and a infrared scanners for the Adaptive cruise control , lane departure warning and correction system, auto brakes and Night vision.
10. Electrically folding 2nd row .
11. A powered Tailgate which was pretty fun operate!
Plus all the standard features which an SUV of this class sports.
On the fuel efficiency front it returns around 5 kmpl!! Its a great highway cruiser ( trust me it handles like a sports car) as well as an awsome offroader.
We have clocked just 6700 kms on it and now it is being sold to an arab gentleman who i think would take a good care of her as arabs love their cars.:)