Tata Manza QJD 80,000 Kms Ownership Review (Finally, Clutch Issue Resolved)

Thread Starter #1
Hi, everyone
My daily travel is approx.65 km. ,mostly state highway (fair to worse condition) .The car which I was using from last 3 years was Indigo Ls,(1.25 lakh km. completed) was in need of engine work, which was not possible for me to get done due to busy schedule and unscheduled emergencies as a surgeon, so decided to exchange the car.

Previous car served the purpose nicely for 3 years except needed to switchoff AC on climbing slopes and overtaking trucks . So wanted similar or one 'notch above' diesel sedan ( 5 to 7 lakh) . So googled a lot, read many reviews, could not consult my own friends much as many of them own above 9 lakh cars .Sadly never opened TAI (fuel for petrol heads) thinking that its not for diesel cars.

Finalised, 1) etios d 2) verito d6 3) manza 4) hyundai verna 5) skoda Rapid , last two after stretching budget extremely.
Views about the Manza vs other cars mentioned in this thread are formed on the fact that it cost me approx 3 L cheaper than other cars like verna, Rapid, Vento etc.

Etios d -
Liked - exterior

Hated- noisy engine, taxi type interiors, low GC {scraped a speed breaker on the usual TD route

Verito -
Liked - exterior, blue , grey colors
Hated- dealers pathetic attitude both dealers could not arrange TD inspite office hour calling

Manza
liked - dealer's enthusiasm , salesman's attitude, exterior , interiors, elbow room , legroom, GC, torque, ( no AC switchoff required) my son ,wife all liked it.

Verna-
Liked -everything except rear seat comfort ,
Disliked- 8 months waiting period , What will happen for spares ?, rear seat comfort, ingress ,egress for my 180 cm height

Skoda Rapid -
Liked-GC Frist time 168 mm,
Disliked - horror stories of A S S at high cost ,was not launched.( tata A.S.S is atleast cheaper than them, and many options available)

Inclined toward tata , I asked for long TD on my daily route , dealer obliged immediately, appointment fixed with salesman , he called up me and apolised me for not brining the TD car to my clinic on time as driver was not available , and he (salesman) doesn't know driving. Then I said that I will come to the showroom and then we will go for long TD, he said , ok but do you know (myself) driving?!!![:D]
TD was satisfactory , comparised 6km ghat section , 12 km' state highway in not so good condition' Overall Td was almost two notch above Indigo Ls
Prebooking precautions taken and booking experience I will post tomorrow. Before leaving I am thankful to TAI for responding immediately to my late night request about starting this thread.

Last edited:
Re: Nine months back manufactured manza delivered, 3 k km ownership review

Hello Tornado welcome to TAI. Manza is good VFM and you were correct on the part that atleast spares are cheaper in TATA compared to Skoda.

BTW after reading the title i thought there is some problem with the car , please complete the story soon. I hope the dealer gave you some discounts atleast since you say its a 9 months old car.

You can check new Dezire and also Fiesta classic.

Dr.Bharat: Welcome to TAI and welcome to Manza Club. AFAIK highwayranger , autosafari and myself are there in this club. Happy miles munching in this VFM machine. Seeing your title was thinking why you didnot opt for more newer manufactured car[thinking]. Taking delivery of vehicles manufactured before 3 months to 5 months is normal. But IMO 9 months i too long. Did you get more discounts for this deal

@ Rudolf Diesel - We have muralipat, SandeepJohn, ilango[speed thirst], gypsy, vimal and safire90 also in the Manza club.

@ Rudolf Diesel - We have muralipat, SandeepJohn, ilango[speed thirst], gypsy, vimal and safire90 also in the Manza club.
Yes, I forgot about a few and others now only i knew.Thanx for the info. Now there are many to whom I can enquiore about famous TATA niggles and solution for those :)[:)]

Thread Starter #8

Sorry for poor grammar, was not able to edit in time.

PREBOOKING & BOOKING- salesman explained me the running discount offer on all vrients of manza that was Rs 34000 cash discount + Rs 20000 exchange bonus + Rs 2500 worth gold coin. (Rs 57500 in total ) + Rs 1.2 lakh for my 2003 manufactured indigo ls.
# I opted for 'Manza qjd Aura Monarch Red BS4 '
# Aura , because I wanted driver controlled rear powerwindows , daynight irvm , also I wanted to fit an 'upmodule' for powerwindows And it was not possible to upgrade Aqua in that way . Aura abs, Elan, Celebration were out of budget , and burgundy inteior was hated by every family member.
# BS4 , because BS3 was not available for sale even though it was on the pricelist, tata call centre also confirmed the same. BS3 varient would have saved Rs 33 k more, and RTO registration was also possible on my address at outskirts of Pune.
# I wanted to upgrde Aura powerwindows with'one touch up down and antipinch feature. (being father of 2 kids) Asked the dealer & outside, everyone said no.
# Booking amount paid- Rs 25 k. (got the discount offer written on the receipt ,though dealer was trying to avoid)
# Booking date- Nov 27,2011(salesman said that they will issue VIN in two days and deliver the car in 20 days.)
# Received many calls from dealer to hand over old car before month end. So we handed over it at showroom , on november 29, 2011. ,they did not gave us receipt but I had to press for it & get it .# Salesman was near by, he approached us and told that the VIN is yet not available, and discount offer can be withdrawn by tata in the december. New december offer may or may not be declared . As I was unable to deposit remaining amount within one day , dealer won't issue VIN/car. I was shocked.
My father said that he will e -deposit remaining amount immediately, now it was salesman's and everyone 's turn to get shocked, as he said that still he won't be not issue the VIN.
We left worried.
# From december 1 to 5, we learnt that nov. offer is withdrawn and new offer is declared [Rs 60000 instead of Rs 57500] ,and got relieved.
# Till december 15, no VIN, remembering discount fiasco, I shouted at salesman threatening him to cancel the booking and go for VERITO. He took me to G.M. Showroom. To my horror, GM confirmed the same info, and also revealed that the m.red car is not available for next few weeks. Then he browsed for some time and offered me BS3 varient instead!! I accepted the deal with CAUTION. GM and tata cofirmed it.
# After 3 days , got a call from dealer that the car has arrived at stock yard.I asked for preregistration inspection (PRI) , he obliged.

PREREGISTRATION INSPECTION-{ PRI}- dust laden car, started after taking jump current.
Battery manufacturing date was Feb 2011.
Car manufacture date was March 2011
Rhs rubrail and front windshield plastic cover was loose .
Small discolored spot noted on front bumper.

re: 9 Months Old Tata Manza – 3,000 Kms Ownership Review

tornado welcome to the forums and congrats on your new manza. hope you have a good and trouble free time with her. Please continue with the review and do add in a lot of images

Why did you accept for the BS3 model , to save some cash?

Did you report the issues you found during PDI to the dealer? What did they say?

PREREGISTRATION INSPECTION-{ PRI}- dust laden car, started after taking jump current.
Battery manufacturing date was Feb 2011.
Car manufacture date was March 2011
Rhs rubrail and front windshield plastic cover was loose .
Small discolored spot noted on front bumper.
They have given huge discount because of the 1 9 months old manufactured car. I think . Also in the PDI you found out that there were many problems.

Thread Starter #12
Re: Got 9 Months Old Tata Manza – 3,000 Kms Ownership Review

Before I continue PRI and its consequences, I am thankful to 350 Z, Highway Ranger, surfer, cooldahya, Rudolf diesel, nickandre for reading and showing willingness to discuss here. I will try my level best to answer queries raised by you, and take help from all of you.
PREREGISTRATION INSPECTION (PRI)- continued.
It was a pre RTO registration inspection and not PDI. I was accompanied by the salesman and my seven years old son. Ideally a car owner friend must be there .
Engine was silent like a petrol car , so aligted and confirmed presence of turbo charger, opened fuel lid and confirmed diesel smell.
Checked some features. Odo reading was 76 km. I I did not asked for TD, as I knew ,its not possible to convince the stock yard staff.

I told the salesman , NOT to start the registration process, I will most probably reject the car on account observations mentioned above. And he didn't tried to convince me, rather fixed an appointment with the G M of the showroom immediately.

GM said , as per tata rules,9 month back manufactured cars can be delivered , it just requires replacement of few plastic and rubber parts. which they will do.
GM said, for battery you will get replacement warranty from the date of purchase of the car and not the manufacture date of battery.
About odo reading , he said It was driven by road yesterday from Ranjangaon tata manza factory to the dealer stockyard cum workshop, distance being 55 km.
I said , if battery is not getting charged inspite of 55 km running, why to give
Warranty ¿ ,and make the customer suffer next day.
GM agreed and said , he will replace it with new one before delivery.

Then he enquired at tata office about availability of other new m,red car. It was not available. He asked me to wait for some days for Bs4 , if I do not want the PRI car.
Looking at the punctuality and honesty of dealership as far as PRI was concerned, I told him that I want time to think ,
he agreed,I also told him that such cars come with additional discount. He sent email to tata about the same, answer was expected next day.

Dilemma -TO ACCEPT THE CAR MANUFACTURED >6 MONTHS BACK OR NOT -
Tools used to solve the problems - 1]googling
2] well wishing tata engineer
3] car owner friends
Results -
Googling did not yeild exact info
1]- stay away from car manufactured>6 months back , reasons given are
1) better to stay away , fiat tried to sale 18 months old car .
2) better to take New car ,
3) possibility of car being used as TD car by dealer
4) possibility of car being rejected by a customer at the time of PRI or PDI

Well wisher tata engineer said new is better than old, could not tell problems associated with old one ,reason given[frustration]

Car owner friends were shocked to know that there is some thing called VIN, Car manufacturing date, they got enlightened and started decoding VIN OF there own
years old cars. Thanks to VIN decoding thread at TAI.[clap]

Last edited:

Since you have taken the 6 months old car , i hope you have got discounts and the problems you have mentioned about the battery and plastic , rubber parts were rectified before delivery.

What was the OTR price for your car? I mean the final price you had to pay including all the discounts.

Thread Starter #15
Re: Got 9 Months Old Tata Manza – 3,000 Kms Ownership Review

Manza aura qjd m. red, bs3 OTR price was Rs 6,85,000 ,got total discount of Rs 70,000, so I had to pay Rs 6,10,000, which includes approx .Rs 5000 for 150 k Km ext. Warranty + Rs 5000 for handling charges.
While, bs4 OTR COST was Rs 7,20,000 without discount.
And Rs 6,65,000 after discount of Rs 60,000 (decemer offer for all varients and models of manza.)

Last edited:

Top Bottom