Introducing ‘Rogue’ in TW with a MJD heart (Punto 1.3 Emo)

Thread Starter #1
Note before you read: This is my ownership experience but I would not be going into technicality, as it has been covered in letter and spirit in other part of the forum.

Friday, 09 Dec 2011: Sunny day with remote chance of showers, feeling hotter in the sun than it actually was. I was waiting for the keys to be handed over to me. Keys for the vehicle of my admiration for last few years, and may be next many years. And then the clock struck fortune, everything was ready; papers signed, and handed over. Demo completed and I laid my hands on those 2 keys which will open the era of diesel for me.

But first let me introduce her to you guys, she is ‘Rogue’ (from the movie X-men), full in flesh and blood, donning a color which was mutually agreed after days of conflict and persuasion. Wife wanted Black, and I was bowled over by Red (Italian beauty in red is most dangerous, have you ever seen Ms. Belluci); eventual result ‘Rogue’ in Tuscan Wine. [;)]

A little history about name, Rogue is basically anagram of Rouge, which is one of the varieties of red grapes used for Wine making!

Cut to Friday, 02 Dec 2011: We had just returned from God’s own country after a 6-day sojourn and boy, what a trip it was. Trip bestowed with finding peace and natural scenic beauty amongst chaos and strike. Loved every part of it. (For details, check my travelogue – ‘A trip of dreams!’). I made an expected trip to Pandit Automotive, Pune, to hand over remaining payment and documents for passing. Little did I know the additional headache awaiting my calling. After every bit of penny paid, documents handed over, Sales Manager Kapoor, went over the bunch and came to me, mentioning slightly, “Sir, your Police Verification Document is pending!”

My heart really skipped a beat, not because the Police station of my area had stopped verifying tenants, not because I might had to shelve some unjustifiable amount to get it done, and not because it was really tough getting around Police wallas who only know or pretend to know this west Indian language, but because this will cause a delay and I might have to wait for The beauty. There is a philosophy which I whole heartedly believe in; if you really really want something, even universe will support in making you achieve it. And well, I did get around completing the documents by Monday which enabled Pandit guys to take my car for Passing on Wednesday and ready for delivery on Friday, 09 Dec 2011.

Cut to Saturday, 19 Nov 2011: I can never forget this day; after months of dreaming and planning, I was finally at Pandit Automotive to book the car I was thinking about for such a long time. My trips to the dealership had increased during last 6 months, this being my fourth one. I had missed out on booking Punto 1.3 MJD 75Hp in month of September when maximum discounts were on, but nevertheless as I have mentioned somewhere else as well, the best time to buy the car is when you enough money in wallet and you have decided which one to buy.
I paid 50K booking amount for future ‘Rogue’ which evoked a price of:
Ex-show: 598983 (5K additional for color)
OTR: 669898
Discounts:
Extended Warranty: 5000
Corp. Discount: 7000
Insurance: 17811
Further cash discount (after enormous negotiation): 2000
OTR finally: 638000 (approx)
Freebies negotiated: Mud flap, mats, sunfilm (no Teflon as that is a sham)

Booking was easy and what a feeling it left me with, a sense of excitement and expectation that in few months I will own one.

Cut to Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011: After toiling for more than a month, it was a fateful night when I finally closed the deal for Boskii, my pre-owned Swift VXI ’06. I found a suitable owner who was ready to take care of it. It had been a wonderful ride owning her for more than 3 years and I loved every bit of it. Even those rattles which were annoying initially and then became part of the drive. Thank god for this immaculate suspension set up on Punto, I am hoping that I would not be hearing those sounds for years to come.

Swift has been part of my journey till date, had taken it places, routes which were not existent, and places which I had seen for the first time. When we stared, it was just me and the car, but in the middle got another fellow member on to accompany us on the journeys!

Back to present day:
I have driven her for around 300 Kms in 3 days and still can’t get around understanding her fully. Mind you, this is my first diesel, so the change is immense. I have been driving petrol for last 13 years, but never a diesel. Though I had driven many in UK, but those don’t count.

Things I just love in Rogue:
+ Exteriors. I can go gaga over the looks but enough has been said over it already.
+ Handling. I have already pushed her to corners on some bad patches, and she come out trumps. It doesn’t feel like a hatchback at all. Feedback from steering is just perfect.
+ Suspension. Nothing beats it in hatch, may be Fabia or may be not
+ Paint quality. It just stands out, day or night.
+ Breaking. Confidence inspiring. Never lets you believe that you can not control her
+ A/C. nothing to be said about it.
+ Suite of features and controls on MID
+ Its heart. National engine, which is ruling almost most of country’s oil burner’s stock
+ Engine guard. This is surely going to save the heart in case of bad potholes
+ Instrument cluster. This is just so neat and you can even control the illumination

Things which could have been better but still ok:
• Interiors and fit & finish. I don’t perceive that interiors are bad. They have improved a lot, but you can still see some gaps in fit. All in all it is not as bad as it is made out to be.
• Horn quality. They could have put in a better sounding horn. Learn something from VW.
• Power windows and ORVM control panel for driver, it is way too far and so difficult to reach out everytime you need to roll down your window
• Punto comes in 4 trims, I don’t understand why they put on same tyres on 3 of those. They should have better footwear on Emotion atleast.
• No substantial cup/bottle holders inside. Small things but big impact!
• Sub-standard audio system. Why to put that at all? A big let down!

Things which I don’t like at all:
- OH, you really thought I would hate something! Well I don’t!!

Just to remind all you readers, I didn’t have any selection process. As I had read so much about the car, that I just wanted to get hold of one. Although I did take TDs of
Figo (let down on shape and highway ability)
Swift Diesel (lost because of waiting time and my own experience with one)
Micra (good car but a little girlie in shape to me)
Ritz (Ugh! Never liked it)
Liva (Couldn’t come to expectations ever)

Mods done & planned
+ Tyres changed to Michelin Energy XM1+ 185/70 R14 (4400 per piece). Went to Darshan Tyres at FC road and they gave me a good deal for JKs (2300 take back price)
+ Sunfilm all around – pending with dealership
+ Steering leather cover – planned for next week
+ Seat covers in art leather – planned for next week
+ ICE (yeah!) – planned for February. Running short on Vit M for next 2 months *panting*
+ Pete’s – after 20-25K run
+ Linea’s Alloys and higher profile tyres – after current batch wears out

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

I am in the process clicking more snaps! But she is throwing attitude, so need to pamper her a little [evil]

Thread Starter #2
Re: Introducing ‘Rogue’ in TW with a MJD heart (Punto1.3 Emo)

Here's the pic of Boskii, just before going to the new home!

Test.jpg

Congrates Friend.
Same pinch to you as I have OWN THE SAME varient and COLOUR too last month.
Have a happy Riding and nice review

Congrats for your new "Rouge" Traveller another punto added to the stable and two tuskan wine colors,that was a nice detailed review.Wishing you a miles of happy and safe [drive]

Man! I just love this color. Happy and safe motoring miles ahead. Superb choice.

Thread Starter #6

Congrates Friend.
Same pinch to you as I have OWN THE SAME varient and COLOUR too last month.
Have a happy Riding and nice review
Thanks friend! Yes, I am amazed by the no of Puntos growing on the forum. Same pinch with the color and trim [:)] Happy mile crunching to you too!

Congrats for your new "Rouge" Traveller another punto added to the stable and two tuskan wine colors,that was a nice detailed review.Wishing you a miles of happy and safe [drive]
Thanks buddy! Yes I am seeing more and more Puntos on roads these days. After getting hold of my own, I saw around 4 on the road the same day.

Man! I just love this color. Happy and safe motoring miles ahead. Superb choice.
Thanks carfreak. I will be updating this thread with my experiences

Now a question guys:-
Is it worth to get the Paint Sealant done from 3M? They mention that this keeps the paint intact. Anyway I am not planning to get Teflon coating done!

Congratulations Priyank, for your italian beauty. Let in more interior pictures . IMHO, there is not need for paint sealant or teflon coating for your car. After a year get your car polished from 3M guys.

Ho ho [cheers].
What a start Traveler. Impressive to say the least.

Before I forget, congratulations on new possession The GP. Somehow I have a feeling that this ownership thread would be little different from the others.

Have many happy million miles on your GP TW.

Many congratulation for acquisition of Rogue. Wish lacs of happy miles. I am sure you will take good care of your Punto just like you did with your Swift:thumbsup:.

350Z

Core Team

Much awaited news and the review is finally here. Nothing comes close to the joy of achieving what one has always dreamed of. Now that you have been congratulating others, it’s the time we do that to you. Heartiest congratulations! As I said elsewhere, this colour is rocking on the Punto. We will look forward to read more interesting updates in future (Esp. Pete's!) [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11

Congratulations Priyank, for your italian beauty. Let in more interior pictures . IMHO, there is not need for paint sealant or teflon coating for your car. After a year get your car polished from 3M guys.
Thanks Amit. Yes even I am considering the same. Will update how I go about it.

Ho ho [cheers].
What a start Traveler. Impressive to say the least.

Before I forget, congratulations on new possession The GP. Somehow I have a feeling that this ownership thread would be little different from the others.

Have many happy million miles on your GP TW.
Thanks a bunch Shailinder!

Many congratulation for acquisition of Rogue. Wish lacs of happy miles. I am sure you will take good care of your Punto just like you did with your Swift:thumbsup:.
Thanks Akash!

Reached office and found out that Car is officially inaugurated on Pune roads, saw a very minor small scratch on Left hand passenger door. Must be caused by a biker trying to squeeze in from left! You cant stop them can you[frustration]

Forget the scratches and enjoy the car more. We can't help avoiding scratches in congested traffic areas. Also how is your initial impression of shifting from Petrol to Diesel?

Thread Starter #13

Much awaited news and the review is finally here. Nothing comes close to the joy of achieving what one has always dreamed of. Now that you have been congratulating others, it’s the time we do that to you. Heartiest congratulations! As I said elsewhere, this colour is rocking on the Punto. We will look forward to read more interesting updates in future (Esp. Pete's!) [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks 350Z. Yes I will ensure as much as I can that I update this thread with my experiences [:)]. Have a few things and tricks to learn from Raj and Jayadev!

Forget the scratches and enjoy the car more. We can't help avoiding scratches in congested traffic areas. Also how is your initial impression of shifting from Petrol to Diesel?
Totally right! No point frowning about it anyway!

So here are the initial impression of the change:
* NVH levels are way high. One as it is a new engine and has not found the correct note. Two, it is a diesel. I am used to that silent killer from Swift. The only sound I used to hear was when I hit the redline.
* Low end torque is way better. I dont have to worry about stalling (though it never happens). But as it has been mentioned in other posts as well, you can pick up the car in any gear without pressing the accelerator.
* Turbo requires a change in driving style. Even Swift petrol had the best power band after 1400-1500 RPM, in GP the difference is alarming. I am trying to learn to keep the engine on boil when I need it. For most of city driving, it runs on its own due to above points.
* Being diesel, car feels way heavier. Anyway GP is the heaviest car in the segment, but glide over potholes is like slipping over banana leaf.
* Biggest change is I dont have to worry about avg consumption now. I filled tank for 2K, and have driven around 170 odd Kms after that, but fuel gauge is just a quarter down[:D]

Last edited:

Congrats.

One more Punto from Pune.
Its really difficult to maintain scratch free car on Pune roads.

Congratulations looks like its raining Punto here at TAI.
Hmmm so you shifted from swift petrol,one thing you will be glad about is the low end torque as its a diesel,so moving in bumper to bumper traffic should be much easier than the swift,but I feel swift petrol is a drivers car with good feed back etc,but heavy on the pocket.
Now since you have shifted to a diesel,should feel like the car is running for free [:)]

Top Bottom