HI guys, hopefully all of you had a blast during diwlai.
Here is my long term update of My Maruti Suzuki Alto Lxi 2009 done almost 30K km. History
- I am originally from Panvel, Navi Mumbai. I was doing my post graduate studies in Pune. I used to go home once in a month managing time from my bust schedule. While returning from Panvel to Pune i used to hitch hike many a times from cabs or private cars which were returning from Mumbai to Pune mostly from the airport. I hated to take the bus! My parents got worried regarding my safety(or was it the drivers safety
). So they decided to gift me a car. Why Alto
- My dad is a big Maruti fan and so is my bro. My dad drives a 2006 Esteem Vxi and is gaga over the engine whenever i tell him to dispose off the car and buy new one! My bro has a 2006 Swift Vxi. So no escaping maruti there!! and no diesel. Even if petrol prices reach 200 Rs. my dad will happily buy a petrol car. He hates diesel! Old school thoughts i feel! So he liked the Alto and booked it from S.K Wheels, Vashi, Navi Mumbai. Got delivery within a week on 7th Jan 2009. I selected the color( on phone)! had to be Caribbean blue, cos blue is my favorite color. Got a sweet 30,000 discount! OTR price was 2.75lacs. What i like
1) Nice compact car for city use. Easy to park, and zippy in traffic. Pune guys know what traffic really is!
2) Good FE- I get around 15 kmpl in city with 100% AC. And 18-19 kmpl with 100% AC on highways.
3) Good handling- Ok i dont intend to compare it with the european ones but its very good for that price.
4) Relatively better built quality than my zen.
5) Space more than adequate for me. For 2.5 yrs i used to be the sole occupant of my car. Got married 6 mths back and now the navigator seat is occupied
. I hardly open the hatch door because most of our luggage is on the rear bench. Leg room on the rear bench is pathetic but it doesnt bother me cos it carries maximum 2 individuals at any given time!
6) Good steering- I guess its EPS. Not sure, Light in the city, and firms up nicely on the highways. What i don't like
1) Under powered engine- Since i always use the AC, it sucks all the power out of the engine!. Driving in the city is ok, but boring to drive on the highways.
2) Maruti service- YES. Dont be surprised. What i feel is maruti service stations have volumes of cars lined up for service. they are really not bothered about losing a customer. I services my car at Sai Service, Deccan, Pune and Automotive, Nerul , Navi Mumbai. Both are pathetic.
My next car is not gonna be a maruti for sure!
3) No tachometer- Some one learn cost cutting from maruti! Mods
1) K&N stock replacement filter. Bought from Reliance Autozone, Pune for 3000.
2) All four power windows with auto up module. Costed me 8k. Installed in the first week itself. Works neat.
3)Reverse sensor- YES. One doesnt really need it for an Alto but i fitted it! Just for the sake of it. But surely comes in handy during parking in tight spots. cost 2000.
4) Audible dynamics speakers with Sony xplod amplifier. Total cost 10,000. The sound is awesome. Thats the first comment i get whenever any friend sits in my car.
5) Art leather seat covers- 4000
6) Front guard- 500 Rs.
All fitments except K&N done at Ambika Motors, Palm Beach road, Vashi. The owner is one Rajesh bhai. Very genuine person. All my cars get accessoreis from his shop. So he gives us stuff at a very good rate.
7) Bosch ford horn.. Nice.
8) Alloys are next in line. difficult to source 12". Putting at Punjab tyre sole, Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
8) Tyres are stock JKs. Dont know how long they will run? Still are in a good condition. Niggles
- Twice the acclerator pedal just died mid way and became flail. I did a small DIY and tightened up the nuts which engage the acclerator cable. No problem after that.
Am i happy? yes very much. I even reached 140 Km/hr on Mumbai-Pune expressway many a times.I maintain her well. Its always sparkling clean both from outside and interiors. It is now used by my better half for her daily commuting! I use my Pulsar 180 because my place of work is hardly 0.5 km from my place. So i only get sundays to pamper her.
Thank you my dear alto for serving me well..
Here are a few pics.. enjoy! Thank you.