My Modified Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
This is the story of my dearest friend 800.

I am proud to own this car. Those were the days when I was doing my 11th std, soon one day
My dad told me regarding buying a car, tough we never knew anything about a car nor the
features in a car. This urge of buying a car when our relatives having a car and we dint have one,
at family functions , my dad use to feel that when all the others are having a car, why should not we one one..
Then started the search for the car, 1st thing is he told we shall buy an used car, my mom strictly said nooo. Then search goes got lots of search goes on, as we stayed in an remote place(yadgir) Gulbarga District, we have only one dealer that to maruti. Then got the quotation for, zen, omni,800.

Later the plan of zen was ruled out because of budget, then comes the omni, my mom again said no, for
2 reasons, one is for the safety another one is, as it is an big car(seating capacity), she thought that the car will be
used by others (relatives\friends)to make trips, then comes the 800, so decided upon to buy one, as my
Dad was an officer in a bank there was no problem for the finance, then booked one (800 std),
then comes the fight between me, dad and mom, I wanted ruby red, mom wanted mountain mist(green), my dad wanted white (as it would cost lesser).

Then one fine day my dad came home and told lets go out, ok we travelled by train to that place with my dad’s friend, it was a surprise that we were in the showroom (Date of purchase 27.6.2003).. Then comes the formalities.
Then they took us to the place where the new cars are parked, for our surprise we dint find the color we wanted, either ruby red/green, white was available but me and mom dint opt for white.. then showed us an green(mountain mist) but it was an BS 1(euro 1), even that too ruled out, then at last he showed us the quick silver\silver and told us this was the new color, then after many discussions, took the same [:D].

Then got the car washed, now comes the freebies, after long discussions, as the dealers account was in my dad’s bank he offered many freebies. Central Locking(fixed after 1st service), mudflaps, floor mats, front crash guard, perfume, reverse horn, a kit of polish(dashboard,body,glass cleanerAlso purchased an music system (kenwood) from the dealer for 6k, 2 speakers cassete player with fm (no cd player at that time).Then by the time we reached home it was almost 12 in the night, could not see any thing.
I was not able to sleep at all in the night, morning woke up early started inspecting.

Then we had an driver as no one knew to drive, then comes the 1st service, then got it done, soon after 1 one I started to drive with the help of the driver, Here comes the first damage, just went and banged the car to the transformer pole, left front door totally damaged cost for repairing 8.5k.
Then stopped driving it for almost 2 months as we were out for a trip.
Then slowly started learning, me and my dad, some how it continued,Started long trips (from Gulbarga to B’lore) approx. 400kms

Then learnt. 1 funny thing I want to share, it almost took 6 months for me to find out the switch of the Windshield washer ha ha.

Every thing went smoothly for 2 more years not problem only 10k on the odo, then retured back t B’lore, then stared using the car.
Till now it has given us an very good service.
Then when I was in my graduation, the car was totally in my hands, now started modifying it as I wanted, started all sorts of experiments on it Major repairs were clutch assembly changed 3 times(now its 3rd one)
Lower arm, and many small parts..Changed 4 battries (4th atpresent)

Now done lots of mods on it..
• Alloys
• Rear wiper
• Iridium spark plugs (mico)
• K&N air filter (stock replacement)
• Remote trunk and fuel tank opener
• 100\90 wiring kit,
• Fog lamps
• Spacers
And many more..

Now it has completed 77100 kms on the odo (8 years till date). Even now the car runs smoothly..
Still continued.

Attachments

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
re: My Modified Maruti 800.

Nice review, Varun. You recalled of those nostalgic days when we also purchased the Maruti 800. During those times, buyers were with limited choices in small car segment and now they are spoilt with it. I only wonder how soon the times have changed. :smile: By the way, didn’t your dad considered the Alto as well? I like the colour of your car (Metallic Moon Beam Silver). It was one of my favourite colours for Maruti 800, but we end up getting the White. Do share more pictures and keep updating.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Very crisp review buddy. I too had a faithful 800 as my daily drive for 60K kms when I sold it, and mine was the same color too. Totally amazing car to own and drive. And, by the way, the pic of your engine bay had me in shock (in a good way), I have never seen such immaculately clean bay in years. Hats off to your maintaining the car.

Thread Starter #5

Nice review, Varun. You recalled of those nostalgic days when we also purchased the Maruti 800. During those times, buyers were with limited choices in small car segment and now they are spoilt with it. I only wonder how soon the times have changed. By the way, didn’t your dad considered the Alto as well? I like the colour of your car (Metallic Moon Beam Silver). It was one of my favourite colours for Maruti 800, but we end up getting the White. Do share more pictures and keep updating.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Very crisp review buddy. I too had a faithful 800 as my daily drive for 60K kms when I sold it, and mine was the same color too. Totally amazing car to own and drive. And, by the way, the pic of your engine bay had me in shock (in a good way), I have never seen such immaculately clean bay in years. Hats off to your maintaining the car.

Thanks.
Vibhor - Those was the days where car means some prestige\status matter but now a days it's common as you have said(many options).
We thought that it was a new launch (alto), so some bad reviews hence dropped it. Thanks for reminding the color just had forgotten it.[:D]

Freakdude - Thanks for your valuable comment, my cars engine bay will always be clean. I use cutting oil+diesel(small amount just to dilute it)
to make it shine, it works as anti rust and main thing I use this is for the cutting down rattling sound, squeaking sounds from the belts, joint sounds. (Which will be totally reduced). [thumbsup]

my cars engine bay will always be clean. I use cutting oil+diesel(small amount just to dilute it)
to make it shine, it works as anti rust and main thing I use this is for the cutting down rattling sound, squeaking sounds from the belts, joint sounds. (Which will be totally reduced).
thanks for the info. i too was really struck by the clean and excellent look of the engine bay. great work.
btw that rear wiper is too good. and clean job. how did you manage it?

i can see that it is a euro 2 model, why didn't you look for 5 speed one?

now please tell me have you felt any weight reduction after changing to alloys?

what is the FE of your car.

Do keep us posted

Thread Starter #7

Thanks, Din't know any thing at that time(5 speed), even budget matters..[;)]

I was very passionate to fit an rear wiper on my 800, searched for the motor for 3 long months, then ordered for it (alto vxi 1.1 rear wiper motor), got it after 45 days, made the sketches myself, then went to a local garage to get the holes.Only one hole for the wiper rod, I have not done any other holes in the body.Wiring done myself..works with front wiper int mode.

I can fell the steering is bit lighter, and the braking is effective..with alloys as I have increased the tire size (145\60 to 155\70). Its worth the money paid.

And comming to FE - 15-17 in city around 20-23 in highways (only if my dad drives as he never crosses the 70 mark)[lol]

it was a very good move on the wiper. i always wanted one on my 800 (2001, 5speed). but was never able to get it in local garages. any way i did just 62 k in 10 years so not much driven too. you were very good to do it on your own. brilliant work.

btw a little tip. have you changed the AC gas? mine was CFC one some R40 or something like that. i changed it to r134 (cost a little but its worth it) it is non-cfc environmental friendly. and the advantages are
1. better cooling
2. less engine load
3. head lights do not dim much when compressor on
4. better FE

very sad that i had to exchange it. my father is getting older and ingress/outgress is very difficult on 800, and on long trips the seat is very low so it was very difficult for him. so i exchanged it for new Wagon R in this September. i was really sad to see hum go.... vdid not eat dinner...

he gave me an avg FE of 28KMPL on highways and ~22 on city... like your dad i never cross 50KM mark...

thanks for the info on alloys. i am planning to change to alloys on my waggie...

Thread Starter #9

Hi, sorry my car is an non-a/c model.. so no a/c gas required.
But, thanks for the info, planning to get an ac installed in further days.

Why did u sell it, you could have just retained it as a 2nd car..
I think it might not cost u much to maintain it.

And alloys are better option for your car.

Great, u have got a very very good FE. But I never drive like that, sorry to hurt u.

Last edited:

Varun560061 Nice review buddy. You car is still look like a new one.Very well maintained.
BTW : what is 100\90 wiring kit ? :stupid:

Hi, sorry my car is an non-a/c model.. so no a/c gas required.
But, thanks for the info, planning to get an ac installed in further days.

Why did u sell it, you could have just retained it as a 2nd car..
I think it might not cost u much to maintain it.

And alloys are better option for your car.

Great, u have got a very very good FE. But I never drive like that, sorry to hurt u.
now i really do think that i could have maintained it but @ home i don't have space for parking two cars. and if someone from my wife's house comes over then they may have to park out side. and the road is not very wide... sometimes lorries go through...

but i am keeping track of the car, it is still @ truevalue

i think he means he upgraded the Headlamps to 100W(high)/90W(low). this needs a relay and some wiring to be done

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

Varun560061 Nice review buddy. You car is still look like a new one.Very well maintained.
Ya this is a wiring kit to upgrade the headlamps, the stock ll be 55/60.
When we upgrade the bulb to 100/90 the stock wiring doesn't support, hence an extra wiring with a cutout and fuse.[:)]

I think with the below pic you can get to know the power of the bulb.

Attachments

Last edited:

@ Varun, It is great to know that your car runs smoothly even after clocking almost 80k kms and the ride is superbly maintained. I too liked the colour. Nice alloys, is it Plati (PY 194) ?

Top Bottom