Hyundai Fluidic Verna VTVT SX (O): 5 Years, 85,000 Kms & Written Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
We started of with the thought of replacing our good ol aveo now clocked around 1.28 lakh kms around a year and a half back initially we were attracted to the corolla altis but then we decided to wait a few months more and then the chevy cruze stole our hearts but then it was a diesel! wanted the petrol variant as was available in other countries. now my dad has been driving petrol cars ever since he was in his 20s and found it more refined then a diesel. As all know its really hard to change their minds that diesel mills have indeed improved. 'So what if theres more power and torque they clatter and eat money in maintaince' that's what dad says so patiently waited for a petrol cruze to come. Then came in the vento the car was good and from a german manufacturer with draw backs being after sales service and spare parts and bland interiors but the car handled well. Buying a car then took a back seat as mum had a major surgery. so had to with no complaints drive the aveo till it needed a walking stick.

Fast forward to august '11 was out spending time with my girl when she asks "whats up with the car buying thing?" and i was all sad and low that my dad hasnt spoken of buying a car since mums surgery. later that day got a call from dad asking me to find out reviews and pricing of vento and honda city. Without much thinking i left my girl during lunch and ran home like a kid whos running home after school ends for summer break. Got up online and checked reviews and then i saw the hyundai verna. The verna was never my option as i hated its looks and with the cartoonish transform i hated it even more. But then this fluidic verna caught my eyes as a sporty sedan and the interiors looked as a 15l + car. Went over to hyundai's site and saw the prices and was like WHAT?? and started jumping around and immediately mailed dad the brochure and pricing. Dad fell in love immediately but then while checking out a few reviews which talked about the vernas rear comfort as well as handling i felt totally heartbroken. I was really deciding whether to chuck the verna cause of high speed handling or chuck the handling and enjoy the features in it, a very tough decision indeed. Spoke to dad on this and his reply was "So you want the car to drive as a sane person or to drive fast to impress girls and skip marriage and old age and directly into the cemetery?"[frustration]

As always we went for a test drive we skipped vento and city as we have taken them before. Getting a test drive was easy but getting a sales executive wasn't. They dint show interest in the verna and a sign board in bold over the car. 6 months waiting well that dint bother us as we had building repairs going on finally when a sales exec came he was disinterested in even booking one for us but when we said we need petrol he immediately got the price lists and started discussing we needed the top variant. auto wasnt an option for us as it was a four speed box and dint justify the price difference. wait period was 1.5 months. On asking for a test drive it was arranged in 5 minutes. the test drive was just on a service road for 2kms pretty annoying had to beg him for a 10 km one and even gave him a tip. Took the car on palm beach road and floored it could instantaneously feel its horses not to mention nvh was amazing a gears were butter smooth steering was extremely light but at 120 it was a bit scary cornering dint give that confidence aveo gave me. Suspensions were soft good for city OK! for highway you can stiffen that as the SE said steering need getting used to and add a wider tyre. Ac in the TD wasnt all that great was fine not chilly, the SE said the TD car needs its ac servicing and asked me to check the ac of another car going for registration checked it and was jolly good.

Things that annoyed me during TD, the horn, i had to literally open the window to check if others outside can hear the horn!! The headlight weren't adequate. The audio was boomy not loud but not refined and lacked rear fill. These things can be overlooked.

Booking experience coming up next

--heres my service record spreadsheet(will keep updating it) http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...idic-sx-o-experience-verna-service-record.xls

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX (O) Experience

so after a week of having the test drive and checking reviews and with owners we finally booked a Carbon Grey petrol Sx(O) on august 18th. Paid rs75k as token amount and then was told waiting is 2.5 months no freebies just mats, was then directed over to the accessories section where this guy talks of TEFLON coating and how is it very very necessary i told him i wont be frying eggs on my bonnet so don't need it. Then he talks of under body coating and how car will rust if i dont do it cost is rs 3500. Then he shows us door scuffs rs 750 for a set of 4 with no leds. And car cover. you'll wouldn't wanna know how he tried to sell me this, He says its made of parachute material. WAH WAH intelligent guy next sun films vkool front sides and rear rs 25k. I said id let you know when i get my car and came outta there gigling.

Over the week we had a few meetings with my bank and they gave me this good idea of opening a fixed deposit so as my loan gets paid i can recover the cost at the end of the fixed deposit. The wait was very tough kept getting impatient and then my SE gives me a call saying they are allocating petrol vernas and if i wanted mine i would have to make a full payment. Our loan was dispersed in 2 days and then we made the remaining payment and that our car would be in our hands in 2 weeks truly excited i couldnt wait more.after the payments i faced tremendous issues with the dealership my thread can be found in dealership reviews.

Not to mention the accessories guy is the biggest idiot ive ever seen
heres an incident since i wanted to change my bulbs i asked if he could do it and heres the convo that followed
Me: I want to change my stock bulbs to phillips 55w/60w, would you be able to do that if i got the bulbs from outside?

Guy: No Sir!! no Sir!! not recommended car can catch fire and insurance and warranty void!

Me: (felt my rage coming) Ok so then what about installing an amplifier and changing my speakers?

Guy: no sir!! waste of money sound be same, Car can catch fire, cabling tampered warranty void!

Me: (almost about to punch him) all right then.

Guy: Sir a new security device has just been launched for verna, ur variant just blinks light, But doest give sound if any one breaks door no sound, install this sound come then car not robbed then.

Me: NO!NO! wires cut and device fixed, car catch fire, warranty canceled insurance canceled No no no. (and walked away) Shouldve seen his face what a sight!

and finally after alot of threats which made me seem like a fool as if they dint care i got my VIN number yesterday and said it would be dispatched by evening, this morning he says there's a shortage of trucks!! just wish i get my car soon wont even go there ever if my car breaks down they dont even let you get an insurance from out nor the registration.
As for now heres what i plan to add in my car. not from showroom but from a dealer who knows me
upsize to 205/50/16 - yokohama a drive R1(yet to strike a deal)
Infinity 4ch amp - rs12k(after discount)/ jbl 4ch rs 6k
speakers will be decided if sound is bad after amp addition
change bad stock bulbs to philips Xtreme vision- rs 1200
Car cover(not parachute material :D) rs 850
Scuff plates with led - rs 1250 set
Vkool sunfilms 97% rejection 75% visibility windscreen and 50% visibility for the rest - rs 16k
window borders chrome garnish as seen on accords - rs4800
Rubberized under body coating - rs 1500
embossed registration plates - rs 1000
advised against horn change is its behind the bumper
the car should reach here monday morning and a pdi will be done and a few pics will take delivery same day and drive it to the rto next day(cant trust the showroom drivers) pics will be added then and my initial experience.
please bare with me
thanks and peace!

Last edited:

Hey nick, why do you want to upsize the tyre.
Better use it till they wore out and then go for upsize.
Upsizing strongly hampers the handling capabilities of any car.

And never ever corner at 120 kmph in Indian conditions.

And regarding the catching fire of car, i am already [lol] ROFL.
Cannot digest it any more.

For Vkool get it done outside, it should cost maximum of 8 k for front glass.
Go for RTO approved one's.

Drive safe.
Buckle Up Always.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

i have had bridgestones in prev car they were'nt good. im increasing the width of the tyre well what i meant to say is curves not the major curves though did u mean by increasing radius and sidewall height or wideness?. btw the size you get with verna is rare 195/55/16 bridgestones b250
yeh m getting vkool done from out the guy should come home

Last edited:

Good write up nickandre! Many hearty congrats on the ride. Now waiting for you to grab the keys and post some pretty pictures here [:)]

350Z

Core Team

Superb write up. I really enjoyed reading each sentence and of course, those funny incidents. From the experience - it seems that more you wait; the longer it grows, but let’s hope finally the car reaches there on Monday. Do take a print out of our PDI checklist. Good luck. [thumbswink]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8

thanks all yes i have checked with hyundai they're fine with it no issues as long as its 16 inch radius.
the pdi was printed long back thinking i would get the car but now its finalized just waiting for it to leave chennai.
And pics will come on monday. planning a few long drives right now and transferring music to my ext-hdd

Excellent writeup. Many congratulations for your booking.

And i am ROFL[lol] after reading those "YOUR CAR WILL CATCH FIRE" comments!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

haha yea man every one laughs hard on that incident. my dealer(accessory) says that these guys just say that to prevent us from buying things from out. he says teflon coat isnt necessary just use a liquid polish and wax once a month.
which sun film is better 3m or vkool don't have budget issues but should be worth it.
also for the ice should i just get an amp for now or just change speakers first and amp later? i love sound quality not volume and don't like a vibrating car.
A caska will be added after a month for rs 41-45k how are caska systems?
and regarding tyres ive choosen yokos a-drive r1 since c drives not available any other better tires?

350Z

Core Team

my dealer(accessory) says that these guys just say that to prevent us from buying things from out. he says teflon coat isnt necessary just use a liquid polish and wax once a month.
That’s true. But I believe that you should at least get the under body anti-rust treatment done.

which sun film is better 3m or vkool don't have budget issues but should be worth it.
Here's a related thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-spare-parts/351-suncontrol-film-help.html

A caska will be added after a month for rs 41-45k how are caska systems?
I think one of our forum members has installed this on his Vento: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...t/3777-caska-hu-ca-3621-volkswagen-vento.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12

thanks 350z for being very helpful the under body coating has been finalized the shop quoted me rs 1500 for a rubberized one and showroom rs 3500 for a petrochemical one which ones best?

thanks 350z for being very helpful the under body coating has been finalized the shop quoted me rs 1500 for a rubberized one and showroom rs 3500 for a petrochemical one which ones best?
Hi nick rubberised one is usaully done only for chassis.

The petrochemical would be done for the underbody.

To get a rough idea, visit this thread:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...o-m-hawk-one-year-ownership-11.html#post81603

I think Mumbai is also having 3M fanchisees, why don't you pay a visit to them.

All those costly coatings are not needed on a new car is my view.

And there is no need for coating on the new car as the car would be knew, i think after 1 & half years or two, you can go for one is my view.

I will be getting it done during my third year of ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom