Genesis for this thread sowed in June'11 http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ium-hatch.html
when I finally decided to move to four wheel from two wheel.
Details of my experiment with cars are written in the above thread. Lets keep it short here why I pick Jazz and eliminated others:
1. Swift: Negative side of being very good :), they are too common to my liking.
2. i20: Handling was an issue for me, reported issue of steering rattle did not help the matter either.
3. Polo: Cramped backseat and archaic music system without USB/Aux-in support was a deal breaker.
4. Fabia: This came real close. I like the front seat comfort and handling. Dealer tried to play games with me but I like playing games in playground only.
Additionally recent facelift was a minor one and the car is beginning to look dated from rear and side profile. Better half is a style conscious person Fabia could net get a decent score card from her. But I still miss the handling-steering-seat comfort combo of Fabia. Maintenance was another issue.
5. Micra: The way I was bowled over by my GF (now wife) when I first saw her, same thing happened to her. Micra in orange simply mesmerized her. I also liked Micra (though I prefer blue shade). Booked her on 8th Aug.
6. Jazz: Jazz played a hide and seek game with me for a month. When I first TD her she was available for on road price of 7.0 L after discount. Then during clearance sell she shed her cost by around 60 k more. But friends advised me not to by a product which is gonna replaced by a new one with better feature. Rumore mill estimated an increase of 30k over clearance sell price. It meant that she would be available for 6.70 L. It was well beyond my budget and I struck Jazz of my list and decided to went with Micra. At 5.70 on road price she looked tempting but I wished she wore alloy wheel.
Come 18th, Jazz took the market by storm. She now wore a price tag on 6.20 L on road at my place. Still 50k above Jazz with ACC & smart key option. But Jazz got 15" alloy wheels which effectively reduces the difference by 20 k. I was in a dilemma for two days.
Finally on 20th I took the decision. It was influenced by the size of my wife's suitcase. I was to pick her up from her place with bags and belongings. Then I realized that I would need a car with good amount of space if I plan to keep her for a long period of time. So finally booked Jazz Select on 20th Aug. I got delivery on 26th Aug. This delay was due to my loan sanctioning procedure and not due to dealer.
Now here are my impressions:
1. Looks: With chrome grill, new bumpers etc., Jazz looked slightly sportier in new version. But I am not a big fan of her looks. I prefer classical two box concept of Polo & Fabia. But my wife likes it very much which matters to me the most. I however like the rally red colour. Its quite flashy and makes the stand out in crowd.
2. Engine: Its about getting adjusted to lack of low end. Rest is all about refinement and eagerness to rev. Its has an addictive top end. Importantly no knocking at low rpm at higher gears too.
3. Transmission: Good. But not great. Clutch is long and is not very light. Micra has a very comfortable clutch with very short play. Gear shifting is positive but not as smooth as Fabia's (better than Micra & Fiesta though). But clutch is quite progressive unlike that of say old Fiesta (from my experience of driving my friends one). No jerk if one drives sensibly
4. Interior: I have read some negative opinion about Jazz interior and I respect that. here I would like to state that my opinion about Jazz is after comparing with cars I drive only: Fabia, Micra, Fiesta & Linea. Comparing all aspects such as quality, design, ergonomics etc. I find Jazz interior the best. fabia has good quality but dated design. AC knobs of Fabia are old scholl and looks out of place in a 6L car of 2011. Micra is funky with good (not great) quality. But it does not give a big car feel.
All the controls operate with sure feel and ergonomics is perfect. With iPod connectivity via USB & Aux-in, Jazz has got the best music system as well. Sound is clear but lacks bass. But way better than Fabia. Being a iPod person, I really enjoy iPod connectivity and steering controls
5. Handling: It is good & steering is nicely weighted too. But communication from road is missing (Fiesta is better). Jazz hugs the road well and micheline tyres offer little road noise. Ride is little stiff in sharp bumps. Combing ride & handling together, Jazz will come after Fabia & Linea. However visibility is very good (better than Fabia & less than Micra) and turning radius is better than Fabia & Linea.
6. FE: With full AC & 50-50 highway-city driving FE comes around 14.5 kmpl.
I will update further once I took her out for some long drives.
To sum it up:
What I like:
1. Engine top end performance & handling.
3. Music system (head unit)
4. Feature (VFM
What I don't like:
1. Lack of low end
2. Long clutch play
3. Seat could have more under thigh support.
4. Bumpy ride
More pics coming soon.