My 4th Brother - Volkswagen Polo

Thread Starter #1
Guten tag,
This is a thread which would talk about my experiences with the polo.My previous car was a Maruthi WagonR.The car has stayed with us for almost 8 years now,however we havent crossed the 50,000 mark in the oddometer.[:)]
And hasn't given us any sort of a problem for all these years.However there was a strong feeling among all our family members expect my mom,who was quiet attached with the tall boy.And also we wanted to see a new car in our parking space.

I needed a premium hatchback as sedans were out of contention due the budget.Our budget was 6.5 lakhs.The priorities were pretty simple and clean.They're:
1)build quality
2)interior finish
3)plastic quality
4)ride quality
5)ride handling
6)looks
7)Decent mileage
What i could compromise:
1)engine-Wasn't bothered about the engine since i felt a 70 or 75 ps of power would satisfy us.
2)The fatory fitted gadgets,however wont compromise with the necessary gadgets and comforts like the instruments etc.
3)Space:This includes the legroom as well as the headroom,since my dad and mom are around 5.6 ft tall and me and my brother are 6 ft tall.So it would do with a comfortable space.

So the hunt began with the weapon (money of course)[;)]

Beat,i10,new wagonr:as said before i wanted a premium one

micra:Too boring interiors,and a toy like plastic quality.So rejected as i wantd a car with better interiors(was very much bored with the interiors of my wagonr.

i20:A very serious contender.Had every thing i wanted.But i somehow didnt like a silver colour in the interior.And moreover i wanted a german or a non Japanese car.And didn't want to risk the rattling noise in steering wheel.

POLO:This car stole my heart just by its looks and the snob valued badge.It gave me every thing.My priorities were fulfilled So decided with the polo.

Got a cooperate bonus of 10k,no other freebies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My 4th brother,VW polo

Hey Prad.13 welcome to TAI and nice to see another new member from Chennai. I assume you have got the 1.2L petrol , which variant?

Some pictures of your ride will add justice to this thread.

Thread Starter #3

Hey Prad.13 welcome to TAI and nice to see another new member from Chennai. I assume you have got the 1.2L petrol , which variant?

Some pictures of your ride will add justice to this thread.
Thanks a lot cool dhaya.Your assumption is right i have a 1.2 L petrol engine.I have a highline variant.

Surely the pictures of my polo is coming.

Guten Tag!!!

A guy who speaks german in TAI [:D] Cool bro.

Congrats on ur new ride!! And welcome to TAI [cheers]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6
Now let me talk through the processes of the booking ,delivery.
I love this process more than anything.The feel of seeing your future car,the doubts,the thoughts,the debates,the showroom,the sale consultants,the displayed cars,the cabin,the lounges...These feeling comes (To my life) once in five years minimum.So just love it.

I preferred the VW mount road dealer/showroom.The reason,it was new to Chennai,heard loads of arrogant behavior being displayed from other dealers in Chennai.(No offense meant).And moreover i wanted a showroom with a workshop facility.So i preferred it.And also they offered me around 10k of reduction in the quote for cooperate discounts.[:)]

I had already called a sales consultant before going to the showroom,and got all the details like the hefty booking fees and the waiting periods etc.We went in the evening to the showroom where the new and elegant and feautristic car was there.The NEW PASSAT.The car surely enhanced the looks and luxuriousness of the showroom.And also there were many other cars also displayed.And also there was a silent ,good looking hatch POLO.They had displayed a pepper grey colored highline variant car.Sat inside the car and was surely surrounded by a upmarket interiors with a sedan like a comfort and hatch like a price.Was surely mighty impressed by it.Our family including my parents and brother were so much in love with this car that we didnt even bother to take a test drive.We directly booked the car.And the SC were pretty well knowledged,polite and were helpful.

Paid a hefty 50,000 Rs of booking fee.And then came the pain a 45 day long waiting period.That was too huge according to me.I wanted it so much and the restless wait started.
Let me upload some photos of the showroom,and the process [;)]

verna

Suspended
Which is faster( Acceleration, Speed etc.) ? Is it the 1.2 TDi or the 1.6 Petrol ?
And yes, honestly guys, what are the actual fuel efficiency figures of city running of both the above models in city run (With A/C on)..... ?
Which is a better vehicle to own ? Is it the 1.2 TDi or the 1.6 Petrol ? If the average run is around 20-30 km per day (And mostly city run)... ?

Thread Starter #9
Now about the car,

Firstly the engine:I know its 3 cylinder pot,but still i was satisfied as my father would drive most of the time and he doesn't seek for lot of power.However the engine isn't refined.Its noisy for sure.It has disel like sound.I should say my friends i20 is surely way ahead in this its more refined and good.

then,the exteriors:
1)Build quality:Fantastic build quality.Its very well built,it just feels solid and fab.The efforts being put is surely visible it gets the best build quality in context with the present hatchs in the market.It sets a benchmark.

2)Design:Stunning.That is the only word to define it.It has clean uncluttered looks,clean lines,perfect design which appeals and suits for all ages.Its satisfies all the people of all ages.And yeah i find it visually longer than other hatchs in the market.Its infact almost equal to the old city.[surprise]

3)Lights design:Great has good distinctive look to it.It equally supports the design

Thread Starter #10
Which is faster( Acceleration, Speed etc.) ? Is it the 1.2 TDi or the 1.6 Petrol ?
And yes, honestly guys, what are the actual fuel efficiency figures of city running of both the above models in city run (With A/C on)..... ?
Which is a better vehicle to own ? Is it the 1.2 TDi or the 1.6 Petrol ? If the average run is around 20-30 km per day (And mostly city run)... ?
Surely the speed,acceleration would be higher in polo1.6.While the 1.2 would be slower as 1.6 produces more BHP than 1.2TDI
A better vehicle to own according to your daily commuting would be 1.2 TDI in my opinion
Iam not very sure of the mileage of the 1.2 TDI engine as i own a 1.2 petrol engine.However i get around 12.5 kmpl with revving of 3.5 or 4k rpm.And with full AC on and in chennai traffic.So according to me i will choose the TDI rather than 1.6 if my priority is mileage but if priority is [:D]fun and joy and wont mind about mileage i will go for 1.6.[glasses]
HOPE you find it useful,thanks

Last edited:
First of all welcome aboard Prad.13 [:)] and that is one nice review of solid Polo. In terms of build quality and stability it is best in class at the moment, with no serious competition in sight. As you said regarding engine, well if your need is such it does not make much of a difference.

All in all a very good package for you. I loved the pics too. Nicely done.

Hi Prad.13,

Welcome to The Automotive India. Many congratulations for your Polo. And in black, it is looking too good[cheers].

@Prad.13
Congratulations. Welcome to Polo club. Lucky you got it in just 45 days. I had to wait for 05 months to get my Polo.
Which month you got delivery. 1.2 Petrol delivered in July comes with Free 3 year Annual Maintainance Contract worth 19900/-. Have you got this free?
Do consider buying an Extended Warranty available for 7199/- for additional 2 years. Let your experience and pics coming.......

Top Bottom