One fine day me and my dad went to the Skoda showroom to check out the Fabia Diesel and test drove the car. The engine was refined and good. Its the new Fabia with 1.2L with weight of the car reduced as well as the price . I knew its the new 1.2 diesel similar to the one in VW Polo. The car was solid built and the interiors were the best compared to the other cars and we decided to book it. The one thing which was at the back of my head was the After sales and service of Skoda and the stories i have heard so far. But took a decision to go for it. After two weeks we again went to the showroom to get the final price and any discounts they could give. I either expected yes or no for the discount but the SM said we will give you a tank of diesel free and no other things. Me and my dad really got frustrated, walked out from there.
Two weeks went by, we decided to see Swift and the Ritz. I didnt like the design and shape of the Ritz and out of 10 cars on the road 6 are swifts with a waiting period of 3 months. Dad didnt think of i20 and the Figo. When the VW Polo lauched in india, i always wanted to get this car. But the diesel was costly and didnt fit the budget. Dad was always inclined towards the German cars as he drove a VW when he was in abroad. He said lets go and see this car. Decision of getting the polo -
We visited the showroom in the CIT nagar, test drove the petrol. Was very much impressed the way the car was designed and built. Decided to get a petrol one but dad insisted to get the diesel due to the increasing Petrol prices and the Diesel gives a good mileage and you dont have to visit the gas stations quite often. We already had a indica diesel and it was giving a good mileage as we often do long trips .
So booked a Black highline diesel as i didnt want to compensate on safety which is priceless (ABS
& airbags).i Budget got extended as it came to 7.9L on road. Waiting period was 3 months. The dealer promised the delivery within 3 months. I asked him if i dont get the car by 3 months and decide to cancel the booking, will get back the 50k with interest. He didnt know what to say but promised for the delivery. Follow ups -
I booked the car at the end of Feb, By April first week received a call that you might get the car by April end. Was happy that will be getting the car in my hands by April end.In the third week i called up again, dealer said it will take 3 more weeks. I got angry as he promised me by April end. Went directly to the showroom spoke to the Sales Manager and made quite few follow ups. May 1st week the car was shipped, got the VIN and the engine number and 2nd week it was in chennai. Went to the godown checked the car and the VIN number given by the dealer. Made the final payment and was ready to get my hands on the car.
Follow up till you get the right answer. Make sure that they are doing what they have to do. The Dealership experience was good as the Sales guy was polite and friendly. Delivery -
Came home early from the office as the delivery was at 6 PM. Reached the showroom punctually, acknowledged all the papers. A small pooja was organised and the sales person explained the features and other stuffs. Handed over the keys and i cranked the engine as it came to life. Ownership -
I have driven 1080 Kms till date and it is been a fantastic ride so far. Its the best in handling, butter smooth gear shift and the ability of it taking the potholes is great. The suspension is quite good. No rattles or squeaks. I have been getting a Avg Mileage of 16-18 kmpl with A/c as shown in the MFD (mostly). The max i got was 23 Kmpl without A/c. I havent measured it from the tank full method. Will do that let you all know the exact figures.
Talking about turbo - There is a turbo lag till 1800 RPM and the turbo kicks in @ 1800-2000 RPM and after that the engine comes into the power band. I found that shifting the gears at 1800-2300 RPM does magic and it wont make you feel its less powered.
I have also seen that driving at higher gears at lower RPM gives excellent mileage. This the car where however you drive it, gives you a good mileage. +ves -
- Well built and it is built to last.
- Design, it is one of the best in the segment. No nonsense design and typically European
- The MFD it has Avg Speed, outside temp, Avg mileage, Instant mileage, kms to be covered with the remaining fuel in the tank, next service interval(kms & number of days remaining), gear shift indicator.
- Reach and rake steering, height adjustable seats (found the best seating position)
- The Steering is too light and can be turned with your finger helps a lot in the city and parking the car (not yet felt how it responds in the highway)
- NVH levels are good. Outside world stays outside. But you tend hear the clatter when it is in the idle. Keep the A/c at 1 switch on the Stereo with volume at 6 you wont hear the noise of the engine at all.
- A/c is good it cools faster.
Issues faced so far -
- Indicator stalk at the left becomes difficult when you want to change lane and change gear at the same time. But got used to it by using it before :)
- Beige colour on the flooring.
- Seats are livon upholstry and they tend to attract dust.
- Rear space its not that spacious but ok as they are none very tall in my family and they are comfortable with it.
- No vanity mirror (am Still single and the question from my wifey will be obvious though)
I see carbon deposits in the alloys due to the front brakes.
The puff puff sound from the exhaust, i really dont know why it is like that. Can anyone throw me a light on this ?
I havent put the Sun control film and the seat covers yet. Films will be done by next months and planning to put the seat covers after 6 months.