The Tiger – My Tata Tigor XZA

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Thanks to all TAI members for their valuable information/guidance which helped me to select/finalise this car.

Now, It's time for an ownership review from my side.

Introduction:

This review is coming from an Old man but young at heart (I think, no forum has anyone senior to me attending almost on a daily basis. I am the senior most amongst all members in the forums, unless someone is there whose age is 65 or more?). I have driven many cars since last 32 years – 11 cars to be precise and Tigor will be my 12th car and the 1st car from Tata Motors.

Cars owned so far were:

When I was in Mumbai (then Bombay):

Maruti 800(used car),
Maruti 800 STD,
Zen (old model),
Esteem Vxi (used car),
Esteem LXi (used car),

When I was in Chennai:

Exteem LX
Hyundai Accent GLS 1.6

After moving to hometown (Kerala):

Alto 800 (old model – very sparing used and sold within 6 months),
Zen Estilo,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXi
Alto K10 VXi

After disposing my Ford Fiesta (was driving her around 6 years), my wife suggested to buy a small car as our usage was very limited. I too agreed to her opinion and bought the Alto K10. Later on, I felt that first time in my life I made a mistake in selecting a car without any security features (also too little space in the back bench). So, since last 6 months I have been thinking of changing the car, but kept postponing the decision. However, during July 2018 the thought of changing to another car became bit serious.(especially after seeing the Tata Tiago and its interiors) and started checking reviews of various cars (hatchback as well as Compact sedans). Started reading all Official as well as ownership reviews in TAI & Team-bhp, video reviews from various portals etc..

Selection of Car

Initially, I was looking into Hyundai Grand i10, Celerio AMT & Tata Tiago. After few days removed Celerio from the list as I don’t want to buy another car with engine specification, as same as my Alto K10 and kept checking on Grand i10 & Tata Tiago. After reading many reviews, I got attracted to Tiago (XZA variant). Accordingly visited the nearby Tata showroom (KVR Dream Vehicles PVt Ltd) and discussed about price & waiting period etc.

One day, my old lady asked me whether I have finalised any car and I have shown her the pictures of Tiago. She too liked the car in total (not so serious or interested about interior or safety features). Same day there was an Ad from Tata motors in our local newspaper and she has shown me the ad and asked how costly is the car comparing the Tiago. I have looked in the ad and what she was showing to me was the picture of Tigor in copper dazzle colour. At that moment, I felt that she is thinking of a sedan instead of hatchback as she know well that I always prefer bigger cars and how I enjoyed when I was driving the Hyundai Accent and Ford Fiesta. Though she has not opened her mind, but I got it what's on her mind i.e. she recommends me to go in for Tigor. I told her the price difference between Tiago and Tigor around one lakh rupees. She did not give any further comments and left for her department (kitchen, of course) putting me in a confused state.

After this incident, my concentration shifted towards compact sedans and again started reading reviews of New Maruti Dzire, New Hyundai Xcent and Tata Tigor. I have decided that the budget should not exceed 7.5L, but need maximum features. Dzire prices are bit high comparing Tigor in terms of features and safety and also I much liked the style of Tigor. Hyundai Xcent (2018) also costlier than Tigor but the discounts they were throwing was making the price almost matching with Tigor.

After a lot of thinking, reading expert reviews, video reviews again and again, having discussions with our TAI Tigor owner members, finally decided to go for Tata Tigor. Then came the next confusion whether to go for XZA or XZ (O) because XZA do not have the feature of Reverse Parking Camera, Auto A/C, Touch screen, etc. It took another couple of days and few more discussions with our forum members. Then I studied /compared the features of both variants and asked myself which are the features I must have – reverse camera is a must one for me because I used to have this feature on my Alto K10. I can live without a touchscreen or Auto A/c or voice command, etc. If I go for XZ (O), then I will have to forget the AMT feature which is something going to be common in the future car market. However, If I go for XZA variant, and if needed I can fit a reverse camera or in the future I can even change the HU itself with lots of other features, but buying a manual car and then the fitting AMT gearbox will not be that easy or feasible.

Again visited the Showroom and got a quote for Tiger XZA and asked the SE (Mr Ratheesh of KVR Dreanm Vehicles Pvt Ltd, Payyanur outlet) to check with their technical department whether reverse camera can be fixed with the audio showing in the existing HU, but the reply was negativet.

Booking

After all these considerations, finally made a decision to go in for the Tata Tigor XZA variant. Then came the problem of colour selection – my preference always was Black (both my Accent and Fiesta were in black colour as sedans will give better look on black – just my liking). Two days wasted for this colour selection (my wife liked my Alto K10 colour – granite grey and wanted something like that, but different manufacturers come with different colour combinations, hence it is difficult to select the existing car’s colour as the new one. Anyway, finally decided to go for Brown colour and booked the car on 2nd August by paying Rs.5000 as booking amount.

Whilst booking, the SE told me that there would be about 12 days waiting as they don’t have any XZA variant in stock hence has to get it from the company. After around 22 days, I just called the SE and asked him when the car is expected for which he don’t have any definite answer, but said that XZA variant is not in stock even in the Plant. I have told him to check if Copper dazzle colour available, but the answer was that the shortage was for XZA variant.

Due to uncertainity in getting Tigor, I have started checking Hyundai Xccent (2018) and read few video reviews and also owners reviews. I did not call the Hyundai dealer, but took two days to take my decision whether to wait more days for Tiger XZA or go for Xcent (Xcent AT comes only in ‘S’ variant which misses many important features hence I was not happy to go for that variant but other higher variants i.e SX or SXO were Manual transmissions which I was not happy)

Next day morning, I got a call from Tata dealer advising that Tiger XZA variant brown colour cars are ready to be transported and promised to give the VIN immediately on invoicing the cars. A little later, he gave me the VIN and I found that the car was 2018 August built. The truck left the Pune plant on 31st August and reached in my Dealer showroom on 6th September. Visited the Showroom in the afternoon of 6th September and checked the car and found all okay and told them to go ahead. Made the full payment on the same day and also selected some accessories, as under:

=Dash Cam with Reverse parking feature (to be fixed on the IRVM), (Make: ICAM) –Rs.12000
=Art leather Seat Cover Rs.8000
=Body side beading Rs1300
=Bumber corner protector (front & rear) Rs.1000
=Chrome door handle Rs1300
=Front show grill Chrome Rs.1700
=Floor lamination Rs.3500
Around 4% discount on above items.

Freebies: Mud flops, Floor mats & Door Visor.

Finally, on 12th September the car was ready for delivery after fitting all accessories except Floor lamination and Chrome door handle (I cannot understand how they missed fixing these two accessories even though they have the car for full 3 working days[frustration])?? . Couple of photos were taken by the SE and then handed over the car to me.

Indeed, whould like to thank the sales executive Mr.R Ratheesh for his support and assistance throughout the process (from booking to delivery).

Also, I got a Mixer grinder from scratch & win offer which yet to receive from them.[:)]

I am not giving a review on the car because official as well as ownership reviews from other members was already available in the forum.

Thanks for reading this lengthy story - pictures follows..

Many congratulations for the new ride.[clap]
wishing you many happy miles with it......its very good to receive the car on this auspicious day...today

Thread Starter #4

Nairrk

Honoured Member
016.JPG
(The center armrest in the back seat is covered by the seat cover. However that portion is seperately stictched and attached with a Zip(3 sides). Open the Zip and the arm rest can be unfolded and when not necessary it can be folded to the seat and close the cover/zip)

019.JPG
(Genome iCAM Smart Review Mirror with parking sensor and Reverse Camera)

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG
(Reverse Camera)

025.JPG

027.JPG

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Nair Ji,

Firstly, many good wishes for buying the Tigor. The color looks superb. Secondly, at many places I have addressed you by your Surname and even as Bro and for this I am Saurry, I am really really Saurry, I am always Saurry & I am genuinely Saurry:biggrin: Your enthusiasm towards the forum is unparalleled and the way you have been contributing, It is worth appreciating.

Looking forward to regular updates on the new car from you and wishing you a enjoyable and peaceful ownership with it. All the best[:)]

Regards

Akash

Congrats Nair Sahab, on the 'style back', very picturesque and greenbackground of your home.

Nice and detailed written review, the background.

Enjoy your ride.

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #10

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Many congrats Nairji for your Tigor XZA. Hope you'll enjoy the AMT. Share your driving experience too.
Thanks dear - Yes indeed, I will keep updated my driving experience.

Dear Nair Ji,

Firstly, many good wishes for buying the Tigor. The color looks superb. Secondly, at many places I have addressed you by your Surname and even as Bro and for this I am Saurry, I am really really Saurry, I am always Saurry & I am genuinely Saurry:biggrin: Your enthusiasm towards the forum is unparalleled and the way you have been contributing, It is worth appreciating.

Looking forward to regular updates on the new car from you and wishing you a enjoyable and peaceful ownership with it. All the best

Regards

Akash
Thank you Akash,

Yes all in my family liked the colour - thank god

You did nothing wrong calling by my name or as bro. When you call me on my name, I feel younger and when you call me as 'brother', I feel more secure. After all, we (all forum members) have known each other only through this forum, but still keeping the respect mutually. That's more than enough. I spent most of my time (retired life) just attending the forums and it helps me to keep busy every day.

Thanks again.

Congrats Nair Sahab, on the 'style back', very picturesque and greenbackground of your home.

Nice and detailed written review, the background.

Enjoy your ride.

Regards
Vinod
Thanks Vinodji.

Yes, I live in a small town/Panchayat limit and as such we have lots of greenery around my home. No big buildings/Skyhigh flats..

Heartfull congratulations Nair sir..
Wishing you many happy miles ahead..
Thanks RK (infact my friends call me as RK [;)])

Thread Starter #11

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Can anyone confirm that whether XZA variant comes with a remote (infotainment)??
Or is it only for XZ (O) variant? (the user manual says about the remote, but as usual the manual is common for XZA and other variant, I think)

Please get a flip key cover, its available on Amazon between 200/300, it's made of silicone rubber and durable, protects the key from elements, Colors to choose from.

Thread Starter #13

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Please get a flip key cover, its available on Amazon between 200/300, it's made of silicone rubber and durable, protects the key from elements, Colors to choose from.
Yes, will try to get it.

In the meantime, I forgot to mention that ,after delivery, the dealer also gave me a Aruga Neu car freshner (orange flavour). Nice one[:)]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Can anyone confirm that whether XZA variant comes with a remote (infotainment)??
Or is it only for XZ (O) variant? (the user manual says about the remote, but as usual the manual is common for XZA and other variant, I think)
No Sir, there is no additional remote provided to XZA or XZ(o). XZO has touchscreen while XZA ICE can be operated by buttons. Infact, on the day of my car's purchase this was a query made by me too but the SA told, there isn't any remote for the ICE for XZ versions.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #15

Nairrk

Honoured Member
No Sir, there is no additional remote provided to XZA or XZ(o). XZO has touchscreen while XZA ICE can be operated by buttons. Infact, on the day of my car's purchase this was a query made by me too but the SA told, there isn't any remote for the ICE for XZ versions.

Regards

Akash
Thanks for the clarification.

The Connectnext Infotainment user manual has information on ' IR Remote Control' (page nos 24 to 31). ZXO is the top variant of Tigor and even this variant do not come with Remote then what's the point in giving details/description in the manual.[confused]

(Anyway, it is of no use when we ourselves are driving the car all the time - only those who are sitting in the back seat can control the music system etc. with remote)

Top Bottom