Pre-owned Hyundai Eon: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
(1) A little background
(This is strictly an ownership experience rather than a comprehensive review)

Being a CA Final student is like you have to beg your own TIME from GOD and of course from PRINCIPAL (under whom an articled student works) ! But even with this little time i have i like to be with my RIDE and MAINTAIN it. Considering the time i have i can not clock miles and miles. I have seen people on this forum munching thousands of KMs within first few months of ownership which really amazed me. Because although i can not drive much, but i like LONG HIGHWAY TRIPS.

I had a pre owned ALTO 800(2005) before owning EON. Being honest there was no need for me to change the car. ALTO was an excellent machine, even after 10 years AC was chilling, no nasty noises from anywhere, good fuel efficiency. Everything was good except my NEW CAR BUG in brain. So i quickly sold alto, the amazing part was i got same price at which i had bought that's the REPO of MARUTI product i guess !

Now i was left with dilemma : Which Car in 3L to 5L ?
I was open with option of New as well as Pre owned.

(2) Hence The Options considered

TATA TIAGO ( fresh launch at that time)

I had a nasty image of TATA in my head, heavy metal sheet noisy engines and rattling. All faded away the moment i saw advertisement of TIAGO on television. It quickly grabbed my attention and on top of that LIONEL MESSI as brand ambassador made a statement that TATA is back into some serious business. Attracted by TIAGO i contacted TATA on Facebook as well as through E-Mail and shared my mobile number, i must say they were responsive and on next day i got call from them asking if i would like to have a Test Drive ! Hell i was very excited and immediately next day ran to nearest showroom :)

Sales representative was courteous, calm and knowledgable. We quickly discussed the pricing and all went straight to ORANGE TIAGO. Believe me or not it was love at first sight. From exterior & interior the car looked Youthful, Colorful, Fresh and solid. SR handed over me the keys to drive and i started ignition and without noticing anything else i was concentrating on engine NVH. I started moving ahead no much vibrations, a little ahead a slope came on road and i was totally annoyed with the vibrations it threw into the cabin. It may be low for other people but this was my experience. Moreover we went a 5 minutes drive and told SR to switch on AC Which he said sir already on. Even after finishing TD i went onto check AC of other tiago but it was same. Less effective AC was the second point that led me to drop TIAGO.

TIAGO In a nutshell for me:
-Good interior exterior
-Solid built quality
-Better Space
-Down on NVH
-Down on AC

HYUNDAI EON (aged but still fresh design of all small cars)

After the TIAGO case i went straight away to Hyundai's. The only car fitting my budget was EON. Sales Representative was little pushy right from start. From start he was like "Sir, Its best model". SR showed us the car along with feature list catalog. Looking at the car it was small but not as small as ALTO, it looked like too curvy :p from everywhere. However Curves were not the only deciding point. Once I got into car i was very impressed by the Interior color combinations. It felt airy, although it was not big enough it felt big. Screws and bolts seemed better bolted together.
Now the confusion was i could not get drive how could i decide ? Then came my brother in law's role into play, he gave his EON to me to test drive :p (Such a Jugaad) and i must say the car behaves like a bigger car largely silent no vibrations and most of all EFFECTIVE AC. I don't know if it is my illusion or what but i found AC very chilling. However it was down on power which was not a problem for me looking at my meager time, i would be mostly driving into the city.

EON In a nutshell for me:
-Nice interior
-Good Exterior
-Not so solid built quality
-Better Space ( Than alto)
-Good NVH
-Chilling AC (love it)

Well Yes, I finally chose to go ahead with EON. Since i was open with both options on new as well as pre owned, My brother in law again came in and gave a thought that get pre-owned car, since i will not have much time and it will be of rarely use to me. Also if i would get new car would have to opt for Finace option for 1.5L to 2L. Now that was a good suggestion made and accepted, because i would not earn few months due to exams and would be burden on parents.

So now with just 3L in hand and NEW CAR OPTION DROPPED i was out looking for a car that's pre-owned with following conditions ;
1. Should not have more than 12000 to 15000 KMS on ODO.
2. Should not be older than 2 years.
3. It has to be first Owner.

I preferred not local dealers but OLX. This is because on an average local dealers were quoting 10000 to 30000 more for same model compared to OLX.

After a days/nights of search finally found an EON ERA+ on OLX with following key specs ;
1. 9000 Kms on ODO
2. Third Free service Left :p
3. First Owner
4. Additional warranty till 2018

Now i went along with my brother in law there immediately next day for inspection as to how would it look in substance. To my surprise it looked even better in real life than on OLX. I took a small test drive and we sat down for negotiation for which i was not good at all. Initially owner quoted 2,70,000 we tried hard to negotiate however the owner knew the value of the car :P. we managed to deal down on 2,65,000. Miscellaneous accessories which i got inbuilt in the deal apart from the above mentioned.

5. Zero depreciation insurance
6. Wheel caps
7. Left side mirror
8. Pioneer 4 speaker system
9. Sun visors
10. Reverse parking sensor

Just imagine how much i saved on TAXES + HANDLING + ACCESSORIES etc.
Overall i am extremely happy of my decision and for the price i paid.

(3) On Road Experience

Long distance trips i had so far :
1. Mumbai - Gujarat - Mumbai (450+450 KMS)
2. Mumbai - Mangaon (Maharashtra) - Mumbai (170+170 KMS)
3. Mumbai - Lonawala - Mumbai (125 + 125 KMS)
Frankly i have done more than one trip to lonawala :p

Coming to engine and refinements :
1st gear is not as joy as it was in Alto. Engine refinements are very well for the car of the size. In the sense that i could not believe that i touched 100 KM/H unless i glance at Speedo meter. The engine is quite refined unit and did not feel stressed even at 100 KM/H, also at triple digit speed it still had some juice left. Max i have touched so far is 120 KM/H however recommended is anywhere between 80-100 KM/H. On the efficiency front it returned me 21 KMPL (Tankful method) through the Gujarat trip, whole trip AC was not at all switched off ! In city i did not have courage to check but i think i am getting somewhere around 15-16 KMPL. I must add it feels under power on full load and AC on.

Comfort :
The section which is of utmost important to any car buyer. Eon does a good job here. It is strictly 4 persons' cabin rather than 5. It has better seats for driver and front passenger as seats are bolstered to hold each of them in place. However if load is full the suspension sits down and gets bouncy but not a deal breaker. When it comes to comfort we can not simply ignore AC, its very effective for a car of its size. Switch on at night and it chills the entire cabin in 10 minutes. For passengers at back there is good recline angle so should not be an issue.

(4) Servicing

3rd free service was not a major shock it costed some 2500 bucks with narration as Oil filter and oil change etc. Since it was few bucks did not bother to analyze bill however i have invoice and will upload it later.

4th Service Paid was some how shock to me as the invoice dictated as below
3532 - Labor/Service charges for paid service flat !
1218 - a/c filter cleaning + Belt v & drive belt tightening etc
1593 - Air Intake Cleaning (My RPMs were fluctuating)

Now these are more or less services which I opted for against what was suggested. If i had opted for suggested all services i would have been billed more than 10,000. I am still open for suggestions as to what should be specifically included in a service. Other than that you have to be strong enough to deny unwanted services and get your work done else they will push additional services down to your throat. More over my car had some issue with break pads which would have costed (ASC) additional 2800 + Labour + Taxes. I had no option but to get work done outside at 1200 Genuine parts + 600 Labour charges through a trusted mechanic.

Every coin has two sides like wise no car is perfect and so is the EON. Biggest disappointments are PUNY TIRES a little WIERED SUSPENSION and OMG GROUND CLEARANCE god save me from that. I have scrapped under body numerous times be it small or big hurdle you have to be extra cautious else you might get your car in some trouble.

And now i will let the pictures dictate the story. Unfortunately i do not have the pictures of the time i got it home, but these are some pictures taken Today itself. I shall update with service invoices once i find them :p

Attachments

Top Bottom