My Tata Tiago XZA: 8 Months Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Tata Tiago Automatic Review

This is my first ownership review in any forum. So I apologise for lack of my writing skills.

I started driving car in 2006 after I bought a second hand Maruti Zen LX (1999) for Rs. 80000/- . Initially the use of the car was very limited. In 2010 my office shifted to Airport which is about 70KM round way and driving the Zen (which was almost 10 years old) daily was a bit difficult as it was a non-power steering version. The car also started to develop niggles. And petrol cost was too high to bear.

So my hunt for a newer diesel car started. In April 2011 came across a Swift Vdi in Kolkata which was about 3.5 years old, ran about 33000 Km and was in fairly decent condition. I negotiated with the seller for the car at 3.15 Lakh and closed the deal. The car served me well till 2017 despite its usual age related problems. The car developed some problem with the turbo and the steering became a bit hard. On enquiring with the ASS the cost for turbo was quoted as 15K and steering wheel as 35-40K (forgot exact amount). Ironically the steering wheel assembly for newer Swift cost only 9K. I decided not to spend around 60K in a car which was 10 years old and decided for new car. This time I was looking for an automatic as due to a injury in my left leg driving a manual car in city traffic was becoming very hard. I drove it almost 60000KM and ODO was at 89000KM.

My budget was around 6L max. Initially I was looking for a used Corolla AT but due to persistence from my family I started looking for a new car.

In my budget not much option was there. It had to be an AMT hatch. So, I test drove Kwid, Celerio, Ignis and Tiago. Going from a Swift all were downgrades in respect of the front seat comfort and driving pleasure.

Rejected Kwid as there was no manual override in the gear shift.

Celerio was VFM package. But it was too lackluster package. Also felt the steering a bit hard. Celerio top model (AMT) was around 75K less than the Tiago XZA.

Ignis was a good car but was priced around 60-70K higher than the Tiago but lacked some extra features. The driveability of the Ignis was best among all the cars that I test drove. But the non availability of the highest trim in AMT version despite of higher price was a downer.

The most negative factor about the Tiago was the Tata brand name. I test drove the manual version of the Tiago XZ in April 2017. The AMT version was just launched and no AMT test drive cars was available with any dealers in Kolkata. I liked the car in totality but the infamous Tata ASS was pulling me back. Finally after 3 test drives of the car (manual verion) I booked a Tiago XZA espresso brown from K B Motors. They offered me 1.30L for my Swift and Rs. 10000 discount for Tiago. The booking experience was good and the SA came to my house and got the booking done at my home. The car was supposed to be delivered after around 3 weeks of time.

After booking the car I got a call from Lexus Motors. They informed me that they have a Berry Red and Sunburst yellow Tiago XZA in ready stock. Their test drive XZA had also arrived. So, they brought a Berry Red Tiago XZA for test drive. Also offered 1.5L for my Swift and agreed to match the discount of Rs 10000 offered by the other dealer. It was 30 th April, the last working day of the month and they informed that I have get the invoiced on the same day to get the offered price and discount. I was a bit apprehensive regarding paying the full amount without doing PDI. It was a Sunday afternoon and we went to the Showroom at around 7PM and the staff were waiting for us. Both Red and Orange were on display and after some going back and forth my son and wife choose the Berry Red. So, the payment was done. Next day I did the PDI and everything was fine except a small nick (about 2-3 mm) on paint on the right rear window. It was agreed that it will fixed during 1st service. The ODO was around 50KM and they informed that their stockyard is in Singur which is around 40KM from city and they brought the car driving. So the odo reading appeared to be justified. The registration process was supposed to take about a week and they cannot deliver the car until the registration was complete. I noted the ODO and told them categorically that I will closely monitor it and it is not to be used for any test drive purpose.

The booking cancellation from the other dealer took some effort as they were not agreeing for complete refund. So I had to involve Tata Customer care and the refund was promptly made to me.

A lot of holidays came in between and the government offices were closed and finally I got delivery of the car on 11 th May 2017. I got the Insurance from Royal Sundaram which was about 4K lesser than the quote given by the dealer. Probably I was the first Tiago XZA owner in the Forum.

No freebies were given. The delivery was smooth although lacked anything special. I was given a box of wafers. Tata arranged all the important papers of the car in a neat folder. It was a office day and I went for delivery alone at around 1PM.

car delivery.jpg

I started driving the car to office and back. The office was now closer to my home and was a merely 8Km run each way. The driving of the AMT is a bit unique. Specially the lag between the gear shift between 1st and 2nd gear is quite horrible even after 8 month of driving the car. You have to be really sedate while driving the car else you will feel the jerks. Coming for a diesel manual it was quite a learning process.

The car was otherwise good. Very good interior, great stock music system. Easy to handle. A perfect city car. Till now I never took her to highway.

In a hot day if you park the car under sun for a few hour, the AC fails to cool the car. The car had to be switched to Sports mode for optimum cooling.

Initially I was driving the car in manual mode. It was FTD but the gearshift sometimes becomes a bit confusing coming from a manual car. In manual mode the gear downshifts automatically to prevent stalling if you fail to downshift in time while it doesn’t upshift automatically.

After a month or so I started to drive in full auto mode.

I changed the engine oil and filter in the second service by paying extra. The FE increased a bit after the oil change. The car has run about 2300Km only in its 8 months of life as I was out Kolkata in between. Also my daily commute is very less (16KM).

What I don’t like about my car is the suspension. It is too bumpy. The car behave like a boat sometimes. Despite several complaint it was not resolved. Everytime they blame tire pressure. Although I have a TPMS installed and check the pressure manually too with my own gauge. I’ll taking the car again to the ASS this weekend to resolve the suspension issue.

Some mods that I have done to the car.

Seatcovers from Autofoam .

seatcover.jpg seatcover2.jpg

TPMS installed, bought from Aliexpress. Cost was around 5K. Also changed the tires to Yokohama Earth1 185/65/14.

TPMS.jpg tire.jpg

Blacked out the roof and OVRMs with matt black vinyl. I planned to blacken the A pillar and C pillar too. But the odd shape is a problem and I think it will not look nice.

car1.jpg car2.jpg

Smoked the tail lights. Only a little smoking was done instead of blackening.

tailL2.jpg

Installed LED bulbs in both headlights and fog lamps procured from Aliexpress. Cost was around 4K for both. Also the parking lamps were changed to white.

headlamps.jpg fog.jpg

Beam pattern:

Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars & Bikes

Installed autodimming IVRM with backup camera display procured from Aliexpress. The cost was around 9K. The autodimming feature is really useful at night. But the backup camera display hinders viewing the surrounding at night. I’m planning to install a separate display for the backup camera.

IVRM1.jpg IVRM2.jpg IVRM BACK.jpg IVRMblack.jpg ivrmblack2.jpg

Leganza Noodle mat from Amazon. It was custom fit for Tiago. Cost me around 1500 after some offers.

mat1.jpg mat2.jpg mat in car.jpg

Installed sunfilms on windows and front windshield.

Wsunfilm.jpg

Installed a active subwoofer as the bass was lacking. I don’t like very hard bass. Just the little bass that competes the music. It is very compact and offers more bass than required by me.

SW.jpg SW2.jpg boot.jpg

Bought a ambicar electric car perfume from Amazon and installed just today.

perf.jpg

DIY detailing whenever my time and health permits. I like my GTechniq C2V3. It is an amazing product. You can find my review of it in the ********* forum. My arsenal and the result:

detailing.jpg c2v3.jpg car3.jpg car4.jpg car5.jpg car6.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Tata Tiago Automatic Review

Installed LED bulbs in both headlights and fog lamps procured from Aliexpress. Cost was around 4K for both. Also the parking lamps were changed to white.
Congrats for XZA.
I also drive an XZA. I bought it in April-2017.

Please share weblink for the bulbs you bought for your car.
And try to click some photos of you car's head & fog lights' performance on dark stretch. This will be a great help to me. TIA.

Re: Tata Tiago Automatic Review

Congrats Archat68
you have added some nice accesories to your beautiful car also your DIY stuff is cool.
How is the TPMS working?where did you get it installed?

Thread Starter #4
Congrats for XZA.

And try to click some photos of you car's head & fog lights' performance on dark stretch. This will be a great help to me. TIA.
Here you go
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...onversion-bulbs-cars-bikes-22.html#post553640

Congrats Archat68
you have added some nice accesories to your beautiful car also your DIY stuff is cool.
How is the TPMS working?where did you get it installed?
Its working fine. I had one in my swift too. The sensor may fail. So at the time of buying it is important to make sure that spare sensor is available easily. Also make sure that the battery of the sensor can be replaced. It is a internal sensor type. You can it installed at any good tyre shop.

Congrats for XZA.

I have this issue of bumpy ride on my car. I'm again taking the car to ASS this weekend. Please share your opinion on your ride.

Re: My Tiago XZA- 8month ownership review

Hi Archat,
Loved reading your ownership review and wish you millions of happy miles on your Tiago [:)]. Some of my observations and questions below:

- Agree with you on poor AC performance after couple of hours under hot sun. I wonder what makes the AC unit ineffective for quite sometime?
- Your roof and ORVM matte black wraps are superb. Please avoid A & C pillar black wraps, they just don't look good on Tiago, at least to me.
- Smoked tail lights are mild and effective. How much did it cost you and what is the process followed?
- LED bulb upgrades were in my radar for quite some time but then decided to defer them as my night driving is far too less and I am okay with the visibility offered by stock setup.
- Your IRVM has a front camera. Does it also work as a dash cam?
- Noodle mats - Looks cool. Please share more pics of it in the car, both front and back. I liked the velcro straps and rubber inserts but it could cover more floor until the end to prevent any dirt from reaching carpet.
- And that sub-woofer will definitely compliment low freq output. I too had a Kicker 10" active sub on my previous car and eventually broke loose the plastic panel behind rear seats. Please share the model number of this unit, would like to check it out.
- Your detailing kit is awesome, will check out your posts on ge@rh3@ds forum too.
- The only accessory which I did not like is your steering wheel cover. Somehow it looks out of place. Just my thoughts.

Looking forward to your updates on this thread. Enjoy your ride!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Hi Archat,
Loved reading your ownership review and wish you millions of happy miles on your Tiago [:)]. Some of my observations and questions below:

1.- Agree with you on poor AC performance after couple of hours under hot sun. I wonder what makes the AC unit ineffective for quite sometime?
2- Your roof and ORVM matte black wraps are superb. Please avoid A & C pillar black wraps, they just don't look good on Tiago, at least to me.
3- Smoked tail lights are mild and effective. How much did it cost you and what is the process followed?
4- LED bulb upgrades were in my radar for quite some time but then decided to defer them as my night driving is far too less and I am okay with the visibility offered by stock setup.
5- Your IRVM has a front camera. Does it also work as a dash cam?
6- Noodle mats - Looks cool. Please share more pics of it in the car, both front and back. I liked the velcro straps and rubber inserts but it could cover more floor until the end to prevent any dirt from reaching carpet.
7- And that sub-woofer will definitely compliment low freq output. I too had a Kicker 10" active sub on my previous car and eventually broke loose the plastic panel behind rear seats. Please share the model number of this unit, would like to check it out.
8- Your detailing kit is awesome, will check out your posts on ge@rh3@ds forum too.
9- The only accessory which I did not like is your steering wheel cover. Somehow it looks out of place. Just my thoughts.

Looking forward to your updates on this thread. Enjoy your ride!
Thanks Prabhagar!

I hate writing long posts and thats why I didn't made any ownership review of any of cars. Anyday if I got any spare time I'll try spending time on detailing the car [:)] Today I was down with cough and cold so in the leisure time made the post.

Here are the pointwise reply:

1. In XZA the default City mode fails to cool the cabin completely even at full blower speed if the car is kept under full sun in Summer. In my swift in similar condition the started to cool after 5 min or so. After purchasing the car I thought it was a defect. Later found from the reviews that it was same in all Tiagos. However, switching to Sports mode makes the car cool better in this situation.
Also, the mixing of hot and cold air problem is there if the temperature knob is kept in between coldest and hottest setting.

2. Agree. That's why I didn't pursue. However, I'm planning to wrap the B pillars and the mirrors with carbon fibre. Do share your input.

3. It's sunfilm that is applied to windows. It costed me around 300 Rs. Got it done along with the roof vinyl.

4. My night travel is less too. It's just the upgrade bug you know :) . Here are the links for the bulbs:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Osl...-24v-8000lm-6500K-Hi-Lo-Beam/32746715742.html (for headlamp)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Osl...-Headlight-Hi-Lo-Beam-Single/32704067478.html (for fog)

5. Yes it has a dashcam too and it can display and record either front, rear or combination of front and rear videos. Also have gravity sensor etc. Here is the product link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/170...LCD-Auto-Dimming-Car-Bracket/32319110290.html

6. Yes the mats could be larger by around 1.5 Cm more.

7. It's a Blaupunkt GTB 8200A. Easily available online and at local stores.

8. The polishing machine is basically a orbital sander which has speed control. Bought from a local store for 2500. The pads were bought from Aliexpress. I have claying pad (not in picture), wool pad, hexlogic type black and orange pads, and finishing pads. I do not intend to do any serious paint correction. Just removing the swirls a bit. I have much more stuffs for detailing like Meg's ultimate Polish, Meg's quick spray wax, Proklear rinseless wash, SFC, shampoo, waxpol wax etc. which are not in the picture.

9. The steering cover was stitched by a new guy. The fit and finish was not good at all. When pointed to the accessories shop the owner asked his manager to fit a new one and deduct the fitting charge from the salary of the chap who did the job earlier. Hearing this I didn't pursue further.

Mods awaiting are blackening the alloys with plastidip. Already bought the paint. Waiting for the suspension issue to resolve and fixing a touchscreen HU to integrate the reverse cam and sensor etc. The HU is already purchased but hit a major roadblock as the Harman HU is fixed with CANBUS. CANBUS decoder is vehicle specific and not available fot Tiago.

Also, planning to replace stop, brake and turning signal lamps with LEDs.

Last edited:

Excellent review, I have never seen so many upgrades on any Tiago earlier. I liked floor mat, and as pointed by Prabhagar the steering wrap is poorly finished. Regarding AC, I agree AC cooling is poor and that black roof wrap must be making situation even worse.

My few queries [:)] :
What kind of modifications are required to install those LED bulbs in headlights as well as fog lamps?
How do you keep that MATT black roof wrap clean?
How useful is windshield film?

Are you in the ATOM Whatsapp group? If yes, please keep posting your experiments there [:)]

2. Agree. That's why I didn't pursue. However, I'm planning to wrap the B pillars and the mirrors with carbon fibre. Do share your input.
I have the same plans for quite some time. Already bought the wrap from Amazon, will have to install it sometime next week.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01DH3CQMG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. It's sunfilm that is applied to windows. It costed me around 300 Rs. Got it done along with the roof vinyl.
That's a smart idea. I will wrap mine in dark black for the second time because first wrap was wearing out and some kids tore off the entire strip on one side.

7. It's a Blaupunkt GTB 8200A. Easily available online and at local stores.
Thank you! Did you connect the sub to audio via rear speakers or directly from HU? If HU, which pins were used?

8. The polishing machine is basically a orbital sander which has speed control. Bought from a local store for 2500. The pads were bought from Aliexpress. I have claying pad (not in picture), wool pad, hexlogic type black and orange pads, and finishing pads. I do not intend to do any serious paint correction. Just removing the swirls a bit. I have much more stuffs for detailing like Meg's ultimate Polish, Meg's quick spray wax, Proklear rinseless wash, SFC, shampoo, waxpol wax etc. which are not in the picture.
Very cool. I have finalized on Stanley SDH600 drill which has speed dial on it and will go on with Megs DA power system. I am happy to see several same products in your list that I have - Megs Ultimate Polish, Megs M26 Wax, C845, Proklear RAW [:)].

Mods awaiting are blackening the alloys with plastidip. Already bought the paint. Waiting for the suspension issue to resolve and fixing a touchscreen HU to integrate the reverse cam and sensor etc. The HU is already purchased but hit a major roadblock as the Harman HU is fixed with CANBUS. CANBUS decoder is vehicle specific and not available fot Tiago. Also, planning to replace stop, brake and turning signal lamps with LEDs.
Again, I had the same plasti dip plan until I upgraded to Activ alloys. What color plasti dip did you buy, grey or black? I am quite surprised by your move to change Harman HU. As you mentioned, stock HU is integrated to car's electronics (follow me lamps, reverse parking etc) and I didn't know it can be adapted to other HU's. Have you also purchased a 2-DIN face plate to accommodate the new HU? I am very curious on this upgrade and what other doors and hacks will open up once CANBUS decoder is made available.

I have this issue of bumpy ride on my car. I'm again taking the car to ASS this weekend. Please share your opinion on your ride.
I find my unit to be planted decently on rough patches at slow speeds say 50kmph or so.
But at a speed of say 5kmph, immediately after crawling over a speedbreaker, rear bounces back a few times and this hampers with a quick getaway.
If it goes over the hump at a good speed say 15-20kmph, nothing of that sort happens except a thud which is obvious.

4. My night travel is less too. It's just the upgrade bug you know :) . Here are the links for the bulbs:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Osl...-24v-8000lm-6500K-Hi-Lo-Beam/32746715742.html (for headlamp)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Osl...-Headlight-Hi-Lo-Beam-Single/32704067478.html (for fog)
Very good review. I own XZA one month old. I am also looking for good LED head light which does not strain other vehicle drivers eyes. I am looking at 4300K led lights. But it is basically a coloured cap on white LED. don't know how good it is. Can you post some night pictures of your head lamp light? Our are not projector headlights so how is the light distribution?

What is the make of the pressure washer in the picture?

Thread Starter #11
Excellent review, I have never seen so many upgrades on any Tiago earlier. I liked floor mat, and as pointed by Prabhagar the steering wrap is poorly finished.

1. Regarding AC, I agree AC cooling is poor and that black roof wrap must be making situation even worse.

My few queries [:)] :

2. What kind of modifications are required to install those LED bulbs in headlights as well as fog lamps?

3. How do you keep that MATT black roof wrap clean?

4. How useful is windshield film?

5Are you in the ATOM Whatsapp group? If yes, please keep posting your experiments there [:)]
Thanks!

Please find point wise reply:

1. I got the black wrap just about a month ago. So the actual effect can be known after April or so. There will be obvious increased heating up. If it becomes unbearable I may change the wrap to white carbon fiber.

2. It's plug and play. The connectors are direct fit. There is no wire cutting involved. Only the rubber dust cap behind the headlamp assembly was cut to pass the heatsinks. Later I sealed the cuts in the rubber with silicone sealant.

In fact in any of my mods no wire was cut. Everything was done with a fuse tap where ever required.

3. Just daily wipe with Jopasu duster. Sometimes spary and wipe with Proklear rinse less wash. Not yet done any shampoo wash but that will be done if it becomes too dirty.

4. It's useful. The windshield glass is one of the largest entry point for sun-ray. However if budget permits I'd advise better films like 3M etc as they offer more heat rejection.

5. No. I'm not a member of WA group. But I'm a member of the FB group.

Very good review. I own XZA one month old. I am also looking for good LED head light which does not strain other vehicle drivers eyes. I am looking at 4300K led lights. But it is basically a coloured cap on white LED. don't know how good it is. Can you post some night pictures of your head lamp light? Our are not projector headlights so how is the light distribution?

What is the make of the pressure washer in the picture?
Here is the photo of the beams at night:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...onversion-bulbs-cars-bikes-22.html#post553640

The pressure washer is Skil which is Bosch group of company.

Thank you! Did you connect the sub to audio via rear speakers or directly from HU? If HU, which pins were used?

Again, I had the same plasti dip plan until I upgraded to Activ alloys. What color plasti dip did you buy, grey or black? I am quite surprised by your move to change Harman HU. As you mentioned, stock HU is integrated to car's electronics (follow me lamps, reverse parking etc) and I didn't know it can be adapted to other HU's. Have you also purchased a 2-DIN face plate to accommodate the new HU? I am very curious on this upgrade and what other doors and hacks will open up once CANBUS decoder is made available.
The Subwoofer has a high level input as well as RCA input. There are no RCA output in the Tiago HU. So, the input was taken from rear speakers and was connected to high level inputs of the SW. Another cool thing is if you are using high level inputs you don't need separate remote connection for turning on/off the amp. The inbuilt amp has autosense feature which automatically switches off the amp once there is no audio signal from HU.

The plasti dip that I bought is black.

I have bought the 2 din face plate. If you set your light controls, door locks etc and then disconnects the stock HU and fix a n aftermaket one even without the CANBUS interface I think the settings will remain there as the settings are stored inside the BCM. The HU is just an interface for setting them up.

The thing that will not work are the steering wheel controls.

The Subwoofer has a high level input as well as RCA input. There are no RCA output in the Tiago HU. So, the input was taken from rear speakers and was connected to high level inputs of the SW. Another cool thing is if you are using high level inputs you don't need separate remote connection for turning on/off the amp. The inbuilt amp has autosense feature which automatically switches off the amp once there is no audio signal from HU.
Awesome, this is exactly the same design as my Kicker Bass Station, and was connected via high level output from rear speakers. The only additional feature it had was a bass level knob in the dashboard to adjust on the go. This Blaupunkt is more tempting now.[:D]

Thread Starter #13

Somebody please suggest a good armrest. I'll buy online and try to fix myself. If I'm unable then will go to a shop for fitting.
Based on prabhagar's review of the armrest made by guru, I contacted him for one. But shipping is a problem.

Thread Starter #14
Today's small detailing session. Nothing serious. Wiped down with Proklear rinseless wash and applied the last remaining quantity of Meg's quick spray wax.

I had applied GTechniq C2V3 about 2 weeks back. After that the car was only wiped once with QD. My car is parked in open 6 days a week during the office time. Also the car parking space at my home has only the roof covered.

Attachments

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Tata Tiago. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues:
Red and Black is looking awesome. Now almost every manufacturers are coming up with same shade.

Top Bottom