I finally got the opportunity to do a small write-up. Apologies for such a long delay. My personal constraints did not allow me to do so far. I have already shared my booking experience in the beginning of this thread.
Having driven 50,000 km in these 2 years, how do I feel about this machine? Well, I am always eager to drive it whenever I get a chance. The vehicle has managed to keep this enthusiasm factor kicking.
Much has been discussed in this forum about the dynamics, ride, handling, suspension etc of Scorpio which celebrated its 10th birthday last year. I
have not done any serious off-roading, so can't comment much on that. I will list out salient features (both +ve and -ve):
* Suspension is much better than pre-refresh models
* The tick-tick sound that I had mentioned in page 3, was coming from A/C cutoff sensor. I got this confirmed from all the service workshops that I have visited. The sound comes only when A/C is switched on. It regulates the temperature inside the cabin.
* The first 5000 km was butter smooth. There were loose nuts/bolts/screws that needed tightening and proper lubrication. Failure to do that correctly
during service was the cause for rattling noises inside/outside the car. I also noticed that seats and especially the gigantic rear door caused noise before
the first service. Also checked for ski-racks, door beadings and improper fitting of roof chiller.
* For front disc brake noise and hard gear shift, see my post Mahindra Scorpio Technical Problems & Solutions
* Stock tyres - Bridgestone Dueler H/T, no issues so far. 5th tyre did not come with alloys. There is a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System sensor on it but is not displayed on the tell tale. Temperature and Pressure readings are shown only for 4 tyres. But if the pressure/temp of any tyre (including spare) is over/under the limits, there is a visual and audio indication (beep). There is always a +/- 2 psi difference in what the TPMS shows and the reading at
various air filling stations.
* During service, unless clearly told, the technicians fill the tyres with air, there by voiding the very purpose of having nitrogen in the tyres. I was filling nitrogen for the first 10,000 km and the ride was good. Mileage was also decent - 14 km/l with 90% AC (80% highway and 20% city driving). Now, I use air only. Not much difference. There was a puncture in one of the tyres but it took some days to detect as the air leak was gradual. When the
pressure was low, TPMS immediately sirened and I got it repaired. Tubeless tyres and TPMS are really a boon.
* I get all the 5 tyres rotated with out fail every 5000 km as mentioned in the owner's manual. It ensures gradual and even wear of tread on all the
* As per manual, I get Wheel Alignment and Wheel Balancing done every 20k kms and whenever there is a puncture
* In idling, the RPM needle stays at 900
* There is no door sensor for the rear door. Auto lock does not sense that there is a 5th door Mahindra Scorpio Technical Problems & Solutions
* No alloys for the 5th wheel - only steel rim
* The 2-DIN Bluetooth Audio system from Nippon is decent and speakers with tweeters do a fair job. But the Seek button on steering wheel does not advance to next track when in Bluetooth mode. There are NO speakers on the doors for middle row. Front and rear door speakers do their job well.
* The 3 ultrasonic sensors do their job fantastically. Initially I thought I would go for a reverse camera, but I shelved it.
* Rear mud flaps do not come with body colour - only in black. Had to get it painted during first service.
* Lucky that Chrome Kit has lasted for more than 2 years
* Rain sensing wipers, Follow-me headlamps, Start-Stop (micro hybrid) functionalities have worked fine with out any issues
* Wish that the following were present in the top variant - VLX
(currently it is only pure ABS
- All disc brakes
- Turn indicators on side mirrors
- Leather seats
- Automatic Climate Control
- Roof chiller (as there are no rear AC vents)
- Lumbar support in front row seats
Service details will follow in my next post. Beast resting in its parking lot