Bajaj Dominar Ownership Experience

Thread Starter #1
***Bit a lengthy section please have some popcorn or a snack in hand ***
The need :
As a young entrepreneur on energy sector , my clients are not always near me, I need to travel 100 to 150 kms average a day if I used to take a client visit , my existing car , VW POLO 1.2 TDi was my companion for past 20,000 kms with me , with average expense of 3 to 4.5INR /KM , I used to travel mostly in highways and also some remote places, I always consider a car to be a safest part , but I always needed a good bike wich can serve me the same and pocket friendly and a overall a good product
I always had a crush on Honda cbr 250R for its simple and classy design and quality of fit and finish , engine refinement , touring king Tag , at November 2016 I booked black cbr250r for token amount of 20k, the competitors like duke 390, RS390 , classic 500, R3 etc where did not come into my decision due to certain points

• refined engine (390 )
• touring seat position (R3) (RC)
• good weight , so that its stable in 100 -120 kmph , (390, RC)
• Fuel efficiency (mostly all )

When god plans something else

On November 27th , Bajaj released Bajaj dominar 400 ,aka D400 , I liked the looks and riding position when I saw in pic , I already knew some info regarding this bike when it was displayed in the Auto show 2 years back , but I was not in a idea of liking it as it’s a Bajaj product , next day I had a off and planned to take a look at a nearby showroom Adithya Bajaj , a plum blue was in show case and a white bike was there for test drive , I just wandered around and checked out the build quality of switches , plastics , brakes , frame , welding finishes , suspension , lights etc. , seriously I was impressed a lot ( this is the exact moment when my mind started to oscillate between decision of cancelling cbr for this ) when the person near me arrived after a test drive with the led lights on, my heart just fell like butter for it , I dint even asked the SA , just took a seat over the bike and asked him to take my helmet inside the shop , mean while I was just loving the wider seat and upright seating position which I was just hunting for , the bike was in idle , I loved the way the engine was refined at idle , when I got the helmet , I had a spin around near by , the impressions where , high low end torque , good lights , gripper handle , better ergonomics , easier to turn the bike , yes needs a little of counterstreeing , best part is brakes , the front has a grater bike than rear , the weight of the bike helps the tyre to grip more compared to 390 duke , even the rear was decent enough till abs kicks in , but lack of feel was there for rear brakes , as compared to costlier brake pad fitted cbr , over all I loved the bike , I really felt the bike was upmarket and I appreciate bajaj for making such a good product .

The event of Twist .

I came back home and started comparing the specs and reviews of online auto experts , as it was the day launched all over India there where only few videos , not all major reviewers like Power drift , auto car did not publish a video , i discussed with my friend we came to conclusion of picking up Dominar instead of CBR for certain reasons
• Better seating position
• Wider seat (more comfort)
• More power , better torque
• Less price with same dual channel Bosch ABS .
• Upmarket feel , (led lights , better fuel injectors , bigger brakes )

The Deal

Bajaj did a smart thing to book bikes online as a pilot project , I logged into the Bajaj dominar site and booked for 9500 INR the same day bike was launched , (I just could not believe what I just did in one day) , next day I called Honda showroom and informed I would like to cancel my booking as I was unable to buy the bike at this moment due to personal reasons .
Final price for ABS VERSION : 1,72,000 INR

The wait

I literally ate all my nails , just could not wait for the long waiting period of 30 days , the most painful days of my life , I would visit showroom ,whenever I cross the showroom , and to appreciate , the SA and showroom manager Mr.Sudhakar really helped me and gave 3 to 4 times TD even a long TD of 40kms around the city and a highway .

The call

Finally my bike arrived at the day jan 26th 2017, went and choose my bike , which had better idling and engine sound a lucky no summed Chassis no . took bike for nearby temple and made a pooja and gave back to showroom to finish registration works .

Delivery :
IMG_20170113_215301.jpg

Bajaj already send a representative from pune to do PDA by his hands and he just did extremely perfect , he checked many things which astonished me, and made a impression over Bajaj for their effort , he rode my bike for 5kms and made some adjustments to fork, chain etc .
IMG_20170117_080927.jpg

My observations after making a trip of 300kms for a temple near my city.
Pros
• Bike had super smooth bottom end and bit vibe midrange with power blast and fads off at 6 to 7k rpm
• Seating position was perfect , thanks to wider seat
• Awesome leds , light up all the floor before me for 70 meters and high beam was a spot beam , which lit up a way long distance .
• Eye catcher
• Good brakes and ABS is a life saver .
• Better grip , recommend better rubber for knee scrapers .
• Smooth ride at 80 to 100kmph speeds.
Cons
• Disturbing leds at evening and daylight , oncoming traffic people will all ways show all kinds of hand gestures to make my light dip , so I just turn off DRL or AHO mode and use low beams as standard . ( yes , you cant turn off lights all way .)
• Pillion will have to hold rider in order to get confidence
• Buzz at 4k rpm, but reduces when I much more miles.

First Ride after first service :

I always do a oil service when I cross 2k mark on my bikes , I did not ride slow not fast in the engine break-in period , I just ride gradually , reach more rpms like 6 to 7k , and switch gears , never loaded my engine , always left it relaxed , but still I go rpms and speeds .
16422264_1075942162533166_6126099100572162623_o.jpg
PicsArt_01-27-09.23.42.jpg

Service cost was 1200 INR and same day took to nearest hill station and my all-time favourite place Emerald lake at Avalanche , ooty, I just enjoyed the pull of the bike at 3rd gear in extreme slopes at lower rpm and engine never resists to rev up, so much torque, u can cruise in uphill in 3rd and 4th gear , never take 2nd gear , just use for hairpin bends if you are a slow turner , I scraped my pegs in all the twists , loved the ride and god blessed me a rain shower which I like when I ride , enjoyed the moment and the scenic hills of Nilagiris, bike returned FE of 33kmpl , which I am so much happy about .

The satisfaction:

I really love this bike and respect my decision over CBR250R, I cannot say cbr is a less in any case , because my needs and perspective was different , I always love cbr for the way it is , I respect all the bikes and bikers , this Dominar was just my cup cake , I appreciate bajaj for making such a quality bike

The Result :
IMG_20170316_130932.jpg

Man to be frank this bike changed the way I live , now I used to take Dominar more often than my polo , I would like to make long rides and explore places with this bike , which I just did because I am typing this at 2017 October , of 22000kms of ODO in 9 months . will share experiences in upcoming posts [:D][glasses]

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Congrats, Sting, on such a beautiful bike.
Sending PDI person from Pune was quite a welcome gesture. I have travelled on dominar a few times and does feel hefthy, in a good kind of way. The bike does not shake when trucks/Buses pass hurriedly like other bikes do.

BTW, do let us know the final price and any accessories you got/ Planning with it.

Thread Starter #3
Hi Bhvm, price I have updated in thread, thanks for mentioning.
I have hookedup lots of accesories right now, will show them up, in upcoming posts.

First of all congrats on your bike. Take good care of it. Clean it regularly to maintain it in good condition.

the SA and showroom manager Mr.Sudhakar really helped me and gave 3 to 4 times TD even a long TD of 40kms around the city and a highway .
40 kms of Test Drive Really? [shock]

Anyways best wishes to munch more miles with your bike and don't forget to take good care of your Polo.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Bajaj Dominor 400. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Two points which stopped me in taking a new Dominor is Bajaj brand and bike Weight. Hope Bajaj rectifies its mistakes in earlier bikes and make the Dominor a big success.

Congrats for the new bike, it looks extremely charming in white.

Sending person from Pune for PDI ? Really ? Looks like Bajaj is now changing.
I still remember when i visited Bajaj showroom for checking out pulsar back in 2008-09 no one was interested in attending us [anger]. We checked out the bike ourselves and moved out of the showroom.

BTW 22000 KM is 9 months, that's insane buddy. I am just wondering do you even walk ?

wish you many more safe Kmiles ahead [;)]
Thanks,
Satyajeet

Congrats for the new bike, it looks extremely charming in white.

Sending person from Pune for PDI ? Really ? Looks like Bajaj is now changing.
I still remember when i visited Bajaj showroom for checking out pulsar back in 2008-09 no one was interested in attending us [anger]. We checked out the bike ourselves and moved out of the showroom.

BTW 22000 KM is 9 months, that's insane buddy. I am just wondering do you even walk ?

wish you many more safe Kmiles ahead [;)]
Thanks,
Satyajeet
In youtube i saw a gold/yellow wrapped Dominor which looks very awesome. In your free time kindly have a look about the modifications.

Top Bottom