My Ford Ikon Flair 1.3 Rocam (76,000 Kms): Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi,Today i am going to post my long term ownership review of the one whose is very much connected to my heart yes none other than my first love my Ford Ikon I am a proud second owner of my Ford Ikon

I am a car enthusiast since my childhood but the real hunt for my car started back in 2014 i was searching for cars online neither my budget was fixed nor my segment of car was fixed so i searched for various cars like XUV5OO,Honda City,Skoda Rapid,Swift. As i am car enthusiast i just want to enjoy the drive and i am not concerned for fuel efficiency.

1.)XUV5OO
-Looks
-7 Seater
-Mahindra durability

Dislikes:-
-High Center of gravity
-Various malfunction issues

2.)Honda City
-Looks
-i-vtec engine
-Sunroof(First in segment)

No dislikes

Skoda Rapid:-
Great built Quality
Simple and Sober Design
Ride Quality
TDI engine performance
DSG gearbox performance

Skoda A.S.S.-a biggest nightmare as described by others
DSG gearbox reliabilty
Higher maintenance cost

Swift:-
Maruti peace of mind
Good ride quality and handling
refined petrol engine
maruti wide service network
low cost of price
low cost of maintenance

Creepy back seats
Small boot size

After Seeing all this cars i had made up my mind to buy Honda City petrol top end variant because only in top end variant i would be able to get sunroof i was also going to pay advance booking amount on the next day of my test drive than i got call from Landmark Honda on next day that the variant and colour i choose was ready with them so i can get delivery within two days after full payment and i was also ready for it than as i was very much busy during that days as i had to set up my new house and also to look after the work going in my house i was not able to purchase my car at that time and decided to buy after two months than during this period i thought as this is my first car i should buy a used car and so was planing for used car in meantime my relative called me saying his friend has an car to sell which is Ford Ikon 2005 petrol model and to my surprise the amount he was asking for his car was 48000 rupees so i first refused to take this car as i thought that no one is such foolish that he is selling his well maintained sedan as told to my relative by his friend at such a low price of 48000 as in today's world honda activa is also costing about 65000 than i thought i am already looking to buy a used car than i would be in no loss in buying a sedan in 48000 as there is no issue of misuse of car as it was a car of doctor and also he was known person to my relative so i made up my mind to take a look of the car.

The car was in well maintained condition there was a small crack on front windshield the driver seat was torn but not too much other than this there was not cosmetic issue with the car than i went for test drive but it was very short as there was no much fuel i the car and i am not that much foolish that i refuel car on my own cost for test driv but from this test drive concluded that car was driving fine the odometer was showing 50000 kms the ac cooling was also pretty good than on next day i took car to my mechanic he visually inspected the car and told i can buy it for 45000 but as i was in love with this car i decided it to buy for 48000 than on that day itself i pay up the full amount to the first owner and took the car keys checked and received all the documents than refuel my car and drove to my home
Than i took car to my mechanic on the other day to service and to change all the fluids

he told me that i will have to change my car tyres before taking it to highway as there is very little treads remaining i than gave him my car to get it back in full working condition he took 1 week for delivering me my car the list of jobs done to my car is as follows.

Date Job Done Price
15-08-2015 Front Suspension Labour 1100
15-08-2015 Rear Suspension Labour 600
15-08-2015 Car Alignment And Balancing 500
15-08-2015 All Lights Check 300
15-08-2015 Car Painting 100
15-08-2015 Car Polish 400
15-08-2015 Pen Drive Fitting 650
15-08-2015 A/C Water Problem Solve 450
15-08-2015 Engine Oil Leakage Repair 350
15-08-2015 Headlight Power Increase 150
15-08-2015 Car Service 350
15-08-2015 Car Tuneup 250
15-08-2015 Car Interior Wash 850
15-08-2015 Reverse Camera Fitting 3500
15-08-2015 Reverse Sensor Fitting 1400
15-08-2015 Mudguard Light Fitting 0
15-08-2015 LH/RH Door Mirror New Fitting 0
15-08-2015 Rear Jumper 2 pcs 4000
15-08-2015 Lowerarm 2pcs 3800
15-08-2015 Bolt Joint 2pcs 1500
15-08-2015 Tyrodent 2pcs 1300
15-08-2015 Left Side Front Jumper 2400
15-08-2015 Balance Road Bush 350
15-08-2015 Taped Cover Packing 1100
15-08-2015 Head Oil Seal 2pcs 400
15-08-2015 Headlight Wiring Kit Cutout 1050
15-08-2015 Headlight bulb 110/100w 2pcs 360
15-08-2015 Door Mirror 2pcs 1900
15-08-2015 LH Front Mirror Inner Samosa 150
15-08-2015 Mudguard Light 2pcs 250
15-08-2015 Signal Light 6pcs 72

So my first service cost me for 29582 rupees

After this i drove my car to home on the way i refuel it for 1700 rupees as soon as parked my car in parking i was getting some petrol smell i inspected it and found the petrol tank was having leakage i was very much [surprise] then i call my mechanic he told me not to tke risk of driving car while leaking petrol as it may catch fire so he sent his mechanic on next morning at my place he inspected carefully and drove the car to his workshop in afternoon i got call that the petrol tank needs a replacement i was left up with no choice rather than replacing the one so i said to do the same and in evening i got my car back and drove it to home.

Than on weekend we decided to go to temple which is 50kms away from my house i drove my Ford Ikon first time on highway and to my surprise it was driving very much smoothly and i was not able to understand that i am driving an 10year old car at that time some hatchbacks drivers of swift were literally struggling to overtake my ikon but none of them were able to do that as i was running on old tyres i did not cruised at very high speed than after visiting temple when we were returning back to home at night i realised that the headlights in spite of upgrading power are insufficient for such a powerful car

Verdict of my first highway drive in my Ford Ikon:-

The car is simply clever not a single time on highway i felt that i am driving an 10 year old car it was giving competition to all hatchbacks,mid sized as well as sedans
Really i would like to say Hats Off to ford for making this car

The car has never felt underpowered in 5th gear also i was able to gain speed from just about 1400 rpm which according to me is very good
So i would like to give 100/100 to ford ikon on performance.

So after this i planned to keep ford ikon after i purchase my new car and before going to long trip i thought it would be good to change tires of my ford ikon in order to have more joy of ride and better ride quality
So i upgraded it to MRF TL ZV2K 175/70r13 but for installing the new tubeless tires i was supposed t change my rear wheel rims so i had done it and the dealer done the alignment for free and wheel balancing was on my cost so the total bill was around 15000 with tax and extra 1600 rupees for two second hand rims.
Than suddenly while going to our relative place my car started jerking than the throttle body was serviced which costs 3500

Accident of my Ford Ikon:-

So after installing new tyres we were off to long trip while returning back to surat on NH8 after crossing Vesma overbridge suddenly an AMW dumper braked so instead of braking for avoiding rear ending with AMW dumper an truck driver without seeing in mirror he changed his lane and pushed my car against divider luckily i assumed this so i had reduced my speed from 110kmph to 50kmph so while side impact i was able to control my car safely and my car had not climbed divider and went onto opposite lane towards mumbai as this could result in very major accident however side window's glass's shower was done on the person sitting on passenger front side but luckily no one was injured a little bit "ALL THANKS TO FORD SUPER BUILD QUALITY" due to which today all of us are alive as it was turning after completing Vesma overbridge the one who leaves near surat betters knows it so i was stuck in first lane so my first target was to get my car safely to last lane and park safely because the vehicles coming from overbridge are in full speed and they dont know vehicle is stuck in first lane as there is turning and this would let to an another severe accident so while getting safely in last lane truck driver escaped.So was not able to recover the damage at that car was having third party liability insurance so i only have to bear the whole expenses

The accident expenses are as follows:-

11-12-2015 Front Mudguard Repair/Rear Mudguard Repair,Center Pillar Repair,L/H front Door Replace,L/H Re Dr Replc,Car Painting 3500
11-12-2015 Car Painting:-Front Mudguard,LH Front Door,LH Rear Door,LH Quarter Panel,Running Border LH,Rear Bumper Touch up Total 5pcs 11000
11-12-2015 All Lights Check 150
11-12-2015 Car Tuneup250
11-12-2015 Car Alignment & 2 Tyre Rim Replace 500
11-12-2015 Car Service 300
11-12-2015 LH Front Door 2nd Hand 4500
11-12-2015 LH Rear Door 2nd Hand 4500
11-12-2015 LH Front Door Glass Winder 1600
11-12-2015 LH Front Door Glass 900
11-12-2015 LH Front Door Mirror 950
11-12-2015 RH Front Door Speaker 250
11-12-2015 Mudguard Light 2pcs 180
11-12-2015 Glove Box Lock 200

After 2 weeks my ikon was back in its original condition after 29000 expense than after this there were lots of trip from surat to navsari and surat to ankleshwar daily
Than a day came i had to go vadodara next day i noticed leakage in coolant pipe i informed to my mechanic but he was not ready to co operate so i felt very bad so decided not to give car to him anymore for service.But as said discuss is some time blessings that proved to be true in my case

A mechanic near my house helped me in this case which solved my coolant leakage problem and the work done was up to mark so this helped him gaining my trust i first thought to give him car for service but than he is maintaining only luxurious cars like mercedes etc so i thought he will not take this car but after giving him car for service the performance has greatly improved so its not like that ford company car are not reliable but in india it is very hard to find a person who is perfect to maintain this cars and if we will be able to find that person than this car is really a gem to drive.

I had done many trips to vadodara and ahmedabad in this car and trust me this car had never let me down with the leakage of coolant also this car had manged to drive to vadodara and back to surat in same day

I had also done couple of trips to Shirdi and the road to shirdi after niphad is full of potholes on this road also my car had manged to give great comfort to me i always think if its 1.3L engine has this much power than how would be its 1.6L engine

At 75000kms my car had needed full suspension overhaul which costed me around 19000 with labour i currently installed Minda horns in my car which helps to clear road ahead for me and my car

I recently went to ahmedabad and i have been cruising my ford ikon at 140 kmph on expressway and it was never felt that engine is underpowered or struggling with 4 adults on board and ac on

I am planing Surat-Mumbai-Shirdi-Surat trip this may and also a trip to Surat-Udaipur-Eklingji-Udaipur-Surat

I am now planing to buy new car but now instead of honda city after using ford ikon i will surely go ford ecosport titanium plus variant which comes 6 airbags and ABS but for sure i will not sell my Ford Ikon as now it is very close to my heart
Please let me know how my review is.

20151213_132259.jpg

20151213_132205.jpg

20151213_132148.jpg

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

kkn13

Suspended
Re: My Ford Ikon 1.3 Rocam Flair-76000 kms

Your car brings back memories
My mom had the same car in the same colour when it first launched
Absolute free revving beauty of a car !!

Ecosport and City are good cars but with their respective pros and cons
City has better legroom and engine is more free-revving (Petrol variants, diesel Ecosport has the clear edge)
Ecosport has better road presence, height, more refined diesel engine

Neither car will disappoint at all
Ford is one of the few companies that is taking India more seriously off late
I love their newer cars

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: My Ford Ikon 1.3 Rocam Flair-76000 kms

Your car brings back memories
My mom had the same car in the same colour when it first launched
Absolute free revving beauty of a car !!

Ecosport and City are good cars but with their respective pros and cons
City has better legroom and engine is more free-revving (Petrol variants, diesel Ecosport has the clear edge)
Ecosport has better road presence, height, more refined diesel engine

Neither car will disappoint at all
Ford is one of the few companies that is taking India more seriously off late
I love their newer cars
Hi thank you so much for reading,appreciating and replying my review its true that ford ikon is free revving beauty so thats why i said i am going to keep this car after purchase of my new car and i am planing my next car of diesel engine so i choose ecosport better than honda city due this reasons:-
1.)Extendable boot upto 700 liters approx
2.)Six airbags in top titanium plus variant
Yes ford is taking india seriously but in wrong way yes newer ford cars are not as durable as my ikon especially ford aspire because providing good features for low price come on Ford India your customers are drag towards your cars for its performance and durability the one who is owning ford i dont think so a lac or two makes any difference to owner but please keep the bulid quality intact as of your old cars were otherwise for low cost car Maruti is there in India and your customers will surely buy your cars i am not sure about new customers but if the build quality would be intact than old customers will surely buy ford cars otherwise they will go for skoda or volkswagen.

Top Bottom