Tata Zest RT XT Sky Grey: Initial Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends
After a lot of deliberation and a healthy discussion here, (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...6-thinking-upgrading-maruti-alto-800-a-7.html) I bid adieu to my trusted Alto 800 and brought home my long awaited carriage Sky Grey colored Zest RT XT, about a week back. I have driven it around 220km since then and the driving was done mostly within city limits. Here goes my initial feeling:

1. Delivery: Not as smooth as Maruti, dealers have improved but at least my dealer needs to go a long way before it can match my previous Maruti Distributor.

2. Accessories: I opted for mud flaps, steering cover, floor mat, corner protectors, door visors, Seat covers, side skirt, sun film and body cover. First four were free of cost, paid for the rest. I would not suggest that one should buy form dealership as except sun film and seat covers, the fit and finish were nothing special. An outside shop should offer at a lesser price.

3. Outside of the car: I really loved it. I am a tall man, and this car really fitted my built :) . Jokes apart, the outside of the car is really impressive and I really like the high stance of the car.
Let me share with you an experience which would throw some light on the perceptions of people passing by, about this car. On the second day as I was coming back from my office, I got stuck at a traffic signal. Few young boys and girls were passing by and they were on their way to a nearby office. Some of them stopped momentarily beside my car and one of them went in front to see the brand. Me and my accompanying colleague were pleasantly surprised by their look and words of admiration that they exchanged among themselves about the car. Must say that I felt mighty pleased. :)

4. Inside: Just lovely. Extremely spacious and comfortable seats with ample legroom and headroom. I would really loved to see some more storage space, that's the only point of complain. I have even squeezed a thin adult as a fourth passenger in the back seat, and there was no problem for the other three passengers. Apart from storage space, the A pillars could have been a little thinner as these restricts the view mainly when cornering. Same goes for the rear windscreen, I would have preferred a wider viewing opportunity.
Edit: Actually, I forgot to mention about the lack of storage space inside the cabin. I am quite flummoxed to find about the complete ignorance of this aspect by the designing team, more so, when it is headed by none other than Pratap Bose. Even my old Alto 800 had far more storage space inside the cabin and even with my layman eyes, I can spot places where they could have easily provided some storage compartments. I bought seat covers from Tata dealer, which thankfully comes with bottle holders and pockets. This actually reduces the inconvenience of lack of storage space to some degrees for the rear passengers.

5. Headlamps and DRLs: As good as they get- no complains, very well placed with enough throw for the Low as well as the high beam. Personally I found that Low Beam at 0 provides maximum comfort to me.

6. Infotainment system: No praise is enough for this system. NaviMaps comes free so offline navigation is possible. Rear parking sensor display acts perfectly and Sound Quality is heavenly. Voice commands works fine though efficiency would depend on your pronunciation and ambient noise. Though I must say that there is a learning curve involved and would suggest that the manual should be read thoroughly. I am yet to figure out all the features of this system.

7. Driving: Before you read further, please note that I have driven Alto 800 for last three years, so my perception about the "drivability" is from that perspective.
In a nutshell, it's a beauty on the road. The steering and suspension both are simply marvelous. Normal road roughness is simply eaten by Zest in breakfast. As I am concerned about the fuel economy I drove in ECO mode mainly. According to the trip meter, the mileage is about 14.3kmpl. The car is mainly driven in Kolkata city where I hardly have any chance to use the 5th gear. It's mostly 3rd and occasionally 4th gear. I generally drive with feather touch and avoid sudden acceleration, so I found ECO mode more suitable to my driving style. I haven't taken it on Highways and yet to check the mileage with AC on. Personally, I would have loved to get another 2kmpl more. :)

I must mention here that all the three modes, namely, Eco, City and Sports, are actually functional and one would clearly understand the difference in throttle response if the mode is changed mid-drive. I have not felt much comfortable in sports mode in the city and would suggest that it should be avoided and should be tried only on the highways with free stretch of road in front.

Tata-Zest-1.jpg

Tata-Zest-2.jpg

Tata-Zest-3.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats SRoy. Few questions. Tiago feels too sluggish in Eco so I use it while idling or in B2B traffic or sometimes when AC is off. How is this performance in Zest RT? Which Sunfilm they put put and how much they charged? Glad that you got 4 things free. Good deal. The color is absolutely stunning. Car looks very good especially from the rear.
OT- From your signature I get that you have photography as your hobby. So which cam you use?

Thread Starter #3
Thank you Abhisek Verma for your kind appreciation.

As I pointed out, I am quite comfortable while using ECO mode in traffic. Yes, it takes a bit longer for the car to take off once the signal turns green, but those few seconds are easily made up once the car gets at least a kilometer of free road. Actually, a little slow take off in stop and go traffic gives me some extra bit of confidence. Now, in my opinion the beauty of ECO mode can be understood if the car luckily gets a few kilometers of smooth run, you would see the engine rev stays within the sweet spot. As soon as you hit 5th gear. the car picks up in a buttery smooth way, no jerky motion, no sudden surge. Even with AC on, I did not find any problem with the ECO mode, though I never crossed 60kmph, so I am not sure how will it behave once I can drive it on a highway. I hope to give some update on highway drive at the end of this month. I had a misfortune of driving my brother's Alto in Bangalore traffic so I understand the pain you endure everyday. The sluggishness of Tiago may be due to the fact that Tiago has a 3 cylinder engine; whereas, Zest has a 4 cylinder turbo charged engine and as I have driven Alto 800 for few years on the same road and traffic condition, I can easily feel the difference in driving. Imho, at the end of the day the perception about these modes will mostly be based on your driving style.

I bought the Sunfilm for 4k but I do not remember the name of the company. I shall update the name tomorrow. They provided a window sticker, warranty and photocopy of CMV approval just in case any over zealous cop decides to investigate the authenticity. :)

OT: Well, Photography is not only my hobby but it is a part time profession for me. You can find my work on 500px.com/sriroyc and you may also find me on Facebook.
I use two camera bodies, D7200 and D90 and a set of lenses. :)

Last edited:
Thank you Abhisek Verma for your kind appreciation.

As I pointed out, I am quite comfortable while using ECO mode in traffic. Yes, it takes a bit longer for the car to take off once the signal turns green, but those few seconds are easily made up once the car gets at least a kilometer of free road. Actually, a little slow take off in stop and go traffic gives me some extra bit of confidence. Now, in my opinion the beauty of ECO mode can be understood if the car luckily gets a few kilometers of smooth run, you would see the engine rev stays within the sweet spot. As soon as you hit 5th gear. the car picks up in a buttery smooth way, no jerky motion, no sudden surge. Even with AC on, I did not find any problem with the ECO mode, though I never crossed 60kmph, so I am not sure how will it behave once I can drive it on a highway. I hope to give some update on highway drive at the end of this month. I had a misfortune of driving my brother's Alto in Bangalore traffic so I understand the pain you endure everyday. The sluggishness of Tiago may be due to the fact that Tiago has a 3 cylinder engine; whereas, Zest has a 4 cylinder turbo charged engine and as I have driven Alto 800 for few years on the same road and traffic condition, I can easily feel the difference in driving. Imho, at the end of the day the perception about these modes will mostly be based on your driving style.

I bought the Sunfilm for 4k but I do not remember the name of the company. I shall update the name tomorrow. They provided a window sticker, warranty and photocopy of CMV approval just in case any over zealous cop decides to investigate the authenticity. :)

OT: Well, Photography is not only my hobby but it is a part time profession for me. You can find my work on 500px.com/sriroyc and you may also find me on Facebook.
I use two camera bodies, D7200 and D90 and a set of lenses. :)
Good Explanation. Tiago feels sluggish in Eco mode but in City mode it's decent. Ofcourse no match to powerful 4cyl turbocharged unit in Zest. You have great cameras buddy and that too with extra lenses. I just have a humble D3200 with the default lens but good for a layman.

Thread Starter #5
D3200 is a very capable camera; moreover, camera doesn't make a photo, it's the person behind the camera who does! :-)

Last edited:
Congratulations on your Zest and wishing you many happy miles with it.
Sun films are prohibited and this would surely catch an eye of the traffic cops on your city do remove them before you get penalised.Companies do say the one they have is approved but no sunfilms should be applied is the rule by supreme court.

Thread Starter #9
Congratulations on your Zest and wishing you many happy miles with it.
Sun films are prohibited and this would surely catch an eye of the traffic cops on your city do remove them before you get penalised.Companies do say the one they have is approved but no sunfilms should be applied is the rule by supreme court.
Thanks you for your good wishes and warning. The sunfilm company provided me with a copy of certificate of approval obtained from CMV. I repeatedly inquired with the dealer too, who also assured me repeatedly that Sunfilms up to a certain level is allowed to be used, at least in my state. The Sunfilm is from Llumar. Now after reading your post and digging further it seems that I was duped to believe that Sunfilms with valid light transmission certificate is allowed. I think the removal is also going to cost me a considerable amount! :(

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new Zest. I'm planning to buy my first car and enquired on zest. Dealer in Bangalore offered 7.34L for XMS which includes mud flap, floor mat,steering cover and rear parking camera, extended warranty + gold amc. May I know how much it cost you in kolkata. And your experience so far with zest. Btw I'm also from kolkata. I think price is bit less there compare to Bangalore.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Well, I bought the XT variant and I need to check he exact figure, but I think it should be cheaper in Karnataka than in West Bengal.

Thread Starter #13
Congratulations on your new Zest. I'm planning to buy my first car and enquired on zest. Dealer in Bangalore offered 7.34L for XMS which includes mud flap, floor mat,steering cover and rear parking camera, extended warranty + gold amc. May I know how much it cost you in kolkata. And your experience so far with zest. Btw I'm also from kolkata. I think price is bit less there compare to Bangalore.
Hi

I paid about 7.32L after 40k discounts including 20k exchange bonus. It included steering cover, mud flaps and floor mats. The above price does not include any AMC but extended warranty is included. Regarding AMC, you should know that Tata has launched a plan which costs about 6k taking care of all "out of the warranty parts" like brake pad, bush, clutch pad etc. I think it costs less than the Gold AMC and you also get 1 year extra road side assistance free for the 5th year.

Hi

I paid about 7.32L after 40k discounts including 20k exchange bonus. It included steering cover, mud flaps and floor mats. The above price does not include any AMC but extended warranty is included. Regarding AMC, you should know that Tata has launched a plan which costs about 6k taking care of all "out of the warranty parts" like brake pad, bush, clutch pad etc. I think it costs less than the Gold AMC and you also get 1 year extra road side assistance free for the 5th year.
Thanks for your update. Gold AMC is around 13.5k and ext warranty 7.8k for 1L km/4yrs. You got very price. For the same price I'm getting XMS which is lower than XT. ROAD TAX IS VERY HIGH HERE IN KARNATAKA AROUND 96K. Now I'm waiting for Tigor to be lunched and then finalized the deal. I'm checking with dealer if seat cover can be added but don't think will get it as they are ready to give rear parking camera after long discussion and number of phone calls with SM. Could you please confirm your ride quality city &highway and FE. After all we are Indians and at the end of the its "kitna deta hain" ... did you face any major issue so far.

Thanks for your update. Gold AMC is around 13.5k and ext warranty 7.8k for 1L km/4yrs. You got very price. For the same price I'm getting XMS which is lower than XT. ROAD TAX IS VERY HIGH HERE IN KARNATAKA AROUND 96K. Now I'm waiting for Tigor to be lunched and then finalized the deal. I'm checking with dealer if seat cover can be added but don't think will get it as they are ready to give rear parking camera after long discussion and number of phone calls with SM. Could you please confirm your ride quality city &highway and FE. After all we are Indians and at the end of the its "kitna deta hain" ... did you face any major issue so far.
Wanta, for Zest my suggestion would be visit different showrooms and try to bargain. Bargain should work for Zest unlike Tiago. They should ideally bargain. But rear parking camera free ia no joke. My friend put in Swift for around 10k. Instead of Gold AMC you can go for P2P, its much cheaper​ and covers all wear and tear but not engine oil and few other things in Gold AMC. Yes road tax is more in Bangalore than Kolkata (even I have lived in Kolkata for some time).
Don't go for seat cover from Showroom. Fitting isn't good. Go for some reputed shop and take the Nylon backed ones (check my Tiago ownership review in TAI). Don't take insurance from Dealer. Its overpriced. You can save 4-5k by taking yourself. Its very easy. I know I have helped many in this.

Top Bottom