Maruti Celerio VXi (O) MT: One Year Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
So, I finally decided to review this car, after one year and around 7600 km on the Odometer.
Some background:
The choice of Celerio was far from obvious when I first embarked on a journey for a new car in the beginning of 2016 after selling off my old Amby 2000 DSL in late 2014. 2015 was my car-free year (actually I used our family car, the Ertiga VDI, whenever I required the car, but otherwise used my bike).
Though I was initially thinking of a second hand diesel, then I thought that since petrol prices and diesel prices are getting closer, it makes sense to go for a lower priced petrol car which is brand new.
So, initially I considered the Alto K10, the Kwid and the Datsun Go.
Alto K10 - too small a car for my frame even with the front seat pushed all the way back.
Kwid - at the time, the waiting period was too long > 6 months and even the dealership at Mount Road was disinterested when I inquired.
Datsun Go - A very good concept, with best cabin space among the cars I inquired, yet I was unimpressed by the features offered on even the highest trim and seriously, a doorless glove compartment? The test drive also left me slightly underwhelmed.

Being disappointed with the lower range, I slightly increased my budget to close to 5 lakhs, and then looked at the other variants both in the Maruti stable and outside. Most specifically I was interested both in Celerio and despite the higher budget, the newly launched Mahindra KUV 100 caught my eye and I seriously considered this one, since I love long drives and it just felt like a fun car for long drives. Took a test drive of both and was mightily impressed by the KUV size and cabin spacing and the even drive quality. It just felt a solid car. On the other hand, the Celerio was butter smooth, offered better VFM with respect to features and simply felt better for city drive due to its smooth engine and easy maneuverability, whereas even the lowest trim of the KUV was upward of 5 lakhs with not many features. Further the KUV's petrol engine was still something new from Mahindra and I wanted a trouble-free car for city driving and occasional long drives.

Other options looked at but not seriously considered:
- Tata Indica V2 - only because it is one of the few diesel hatches below 5 lakh, but otherwise not really an option because it is too rough a car. We owned one from 2002 - 2007 and it is not a very smooth car or trouble free after 25-30K kms.
- Hyundai i10, Chevrolet Beat, Ford Figo, Maruti Swift etc. - mostly higher priced and not well-featured in the lower variants.
- Wagon R - not a big fan of its boxy design and I wanted a more contemporary car.

Finally fixed on the Celerio and chose the VXI trim, which I felt was good enough, since I had an old Alpine MP3 CD system with excellent speakers gathering dust after being removed from our old Palio which was sold off in 2012 or thereabouts. I am not big on remote locking and central locking with front driver door was good enough for me. Further I didn't mind the manual internally adjustable ORVM.

The ABT dealership at Guindy offered me some good discount on the Wagon R, but not so much on the Celerio. However, I pushed the bargain by opting for a year end 2015 model and though this led to a lack of colour choice, luckily the silky silver was acceptable to me and loved by my wife. Though I would have preferred a red or blue option, but my wife is not so keen on the bold colours. I further got a "discount" by opting for own insurance and not the dealership one, because dealer-policies are slightly inflated for dealer commission, but the advantage is that they usually have a cashless arrangement. Nevertheless, I went for New India own insurance and got the on-road price to less than 5 lakhs for the VXI (O) MT. Which was great, considering that the actual on-road price advertised on websites was around 5.25 lakhs at the time.

So delivery was on the first week of March 2016. And I got the old Alpine audio system fitted in no time through Neotone radio at Walaja road, Mount Road, who is an old friend. I also got a bluetooth cum mobile charger for hands-free phone experience.

Driving Experience:
It is a wonderful smooth engine and I enjoyed the first long trip I took to Salem from Chennai within the first 1000 kms. I managed to get a decent mileage of around 19 kmpl for the entire long drive and within the city prior to the first service, I was getting only 11-12 kmpl , though I am a conservative driver and rarely use the pedal hard. But of course, I knew that before the first service, you cannot expect ideal mileage from any new car. Having driven diesel mostly before this car, I found the shifting of gears in petrol to be extremely leisured and forgiving. The city driving was also excellent, and the thing I enjoyed most was that this is a car that is good for the narrower roads, where space is at a premium. But the best thing was that this is a car that can accommodate around 4 large people and 5 medium sized people comfortably. Mostly though, the main occupants are myself and my wife.

After the second service this vehicle has become even smoother and given better mileage in the city. I now consistently get 13-15 kmpl in the city (through tank-to-tank fill method) and the avg fuel display regularly shows 15 and above kmpl nowadays. Though in bumper-to-bumper traffic, mileage does take a hit. On my second and subsequent long drives, I have consistently got more than 20 kmpl on the highway, driving smoothly at 90-100 kmph speed and dropping down to 80 kmph on slightly busier stretches. I feel this is a good speed for driver and passenger comfort on our Indian roads and besides gives the better fuel economy.
Recently however, I had a small accident vide a motor cycle hitting my rear bumper at a signal stop. The bumper was crushed on the left side and I had it repaired at ABT Maruti. However, because of my non-cashless, I had to pay the full amount and apply for reimbursement from New India. Thanks to my bumper-to-bumper policy however, I would not bear a big loss. Subsequently within a week after that, my front windshield got cracked at a spot (I am not sure how) and again I went for windshield replacement vide Windshield Experts (who have a cashless arrangement with New India) so I ended up paying only the policy excess and a small sum for consumables. Thereafter, on my third service to ABT this month, I had the guy pick up the vehicle for service. During the 3rd free service, unfortunately the ABT guys had a small accident during the road test wherein the front right door panel and quarter panel were damaged apparently by a bike guy. I wrote a mail to them asking for particulars and luckily no FIR or third party injury was caused. I refused to pay for this damage or claim from my insurance and insisted that the ABT does it free of cost to me and claim from their own liability insurance, which they promptly agreed. So I paid only the usual charges for consumables, and oil change.

Overall, I am quite happy with this vehicle and also the MASS. The service manager was polite and helpful, and though flooded with vehicles, ABT does a decent and professional customer service and satisfaction.

Positives:
+ Great city driving and maneuverability and ability to park in tighter spaces, due to its reasonably compact size.
+ Excellent cabin space and even in the rear, my family are able to adjust somewhat (though nobody tall can sit behind me when I drive).
+ Reasonably safe feeling even on highways, though I rarely went about 100 kmph and only averaged around 85-90 kmph, but still for Indian conditions, the speed is adequate and the fuel economy really makes me feel that it is worth the drive.
+ Superb engine, so noiseless that I once or twice even forget that the ignition is on and crank it when running (bad, I know).
+ MASS is very good, particularly ABT who do a professional and adequate job. ABT called me when service was due each time and also called back for feedback after the service. Very nice job.

Negatives:
- Insurance was a bit of a negative for me. I am yet to receive the claim amount from New India for the first bumper damage. I feel cashless would have been a better option. I expect the reimbursement claim to be paid by this week.
- The car seems to develop small scratches and small dents at the lightest touch. I am quite wary on the road, but when I park on the road, due to lack of space and I feel that bikes tend to make scratches when they park close to the car.
- Safety feeling wrt weight and structural stability. This is more psychological factor but I feel Maruti compromises on body build quality to reduce weight for mileage. But overall this is not so much a negative against this car but in general against Indian Manufacturers at lower ranges. Having driven an Amby, most other cars feel too light-weight to me.

Finally here are some pictures:

Attachments

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thread Starter #3
Re: Maruti Celerio VXi(O) MT: One Year Ownership Review

Thanks. How long does such a coating last? Also I would have to fix each and every dent before applying such a coating, right?

Also, here are the speakers - front, the standard speakers, rear: Polk speakers from the old Palio, in the rear tray. (the Neotone guys replaced the standard flimsy rear tray with a wooden panel to accommodate the speakers). I get excellent sound from this one, old though these are. Yes, the Alpine only comes with CD, MP3 support for CD, which is quite old technology nowadays, what with bluetooth and USB, AUX etc., but I am very happy with these.

Attachments

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Maruti Celerio VXi(O) MT: One Year Ownership Review

it's a film, not coating. so it'll last as long as some dent or mischief pulls it off. and yes, dents will have to be fixed First.

the speakers are looking nice though.

Congrats on your purchase Harishankar. Even one of my immediate family own a Celerio AMT and have driven it for long. I personally feel it's handling is neutral and cabin feels airy and big. Enjoy your ride.

Short and crisp review [thumbsup]. What are the service costs you have incurred so far? We all know MSIL has a good reputation for after sales service, just wanted to know your experience as well,

Thread Starter #7
it's a film, not coating. so it'll last as long as some dent or mischief pulls it off. and yes, dents will have to be fixed First.

the speakers are looking nice though.
Thanks. I guess I will put this off. I don't want to incur a lot of expenditure at the moment, as removing all these minor dents will cost around Rs. 15-20K as per Maruti estimate which they provided for my earlier damage claim where they estimated the entire dents and bumps around the car for the insurance surveyor though damage happened only to bumper.

Congrats on your purchase Harishankar. Even one of my immediate family own a Celerio AMT and have driven it for long. I personally feel it's handling is neutral and cabin feels airy and big. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks. I like the handling both in the city and in the highway at reasonable speeds. Quite worth the price paid, because I want a car that feels reasonably gripped to the road at higher speeds. Though I am not sure how it will feel if I cross well beyond 100 kmph, which I rarely touch anyway.

Short and crisp review [thumbsup]. What are the service costs you have incurred so far? We all know MSIL has a good reputation for after sales service, just wanted to know your experience as well,
The 1000km or 1 month first free check-up was absolutely free, I think; the second one 5000 km or 6 months cost me around Rs. 900 and the third check up at 10000 km or 1 year with oil change cost me around Rs. 1300-odd for the oil and consumables. Labour not charged.

Though car got damaged in the 3rd free service by the service personnel, they bore the entire expenses out of their own pocket / liability insurance without fuss, as when the service advisor asked me whether I would claim insurance, I said no, it should be 100% free from my side.

I forgot to mention that very early on when I bought the car, a rat had got into the engine bay and died. And it caused a nasty smell for some time whenever I stepped out of the car after a drive (engine heating enhanced this awful odour). I finally had got that cleaned up and also had them put rat-repellant in the engine bay area. Not sure whether I should get it replaced. Anyway, I never keep food inside the car, but still need to take precautions against rats.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
I finally got the claim amount released into my bank a/c for the first bumper damage.
I am also planning to install a reverse sensor to prevent nasty bumps in tight parking spaces. Anybody with experience of these devices and how effective they are? Is it better to get a reverse cam though it is more expensive?
Also planning to add an arm rest in the gap between the front seats. I feel it would add to the comfort in long drives. Anybody can vouch for the utility of these?

bhvm

Honoured Member
I've found that Camera is much more comfortable to use than the beepers. my xuv came with both though.

Thread Starter #11
I've found that Camera is much more comfortable to use than the beepers. my xuv came with both though.
Thanks. I'll check out what the price will come to with a camera, but I don't want to spend too much at the moment.
Hello Hari, Nice&Short Review.

Congratulations for the New Silver Surfer[;)]
Thanks. :)

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Congrats and a nice review.
I prefer just the sensors. I got these autocop reverse parking sensors for my figo. Details here.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...20-000-kms-ownership-review-3.html#post467510

See if you can get the model without the rear view mirror. If you install this one , you won't be able to use the dimming feature and it vibrates a little when car is idling.
You can also get the camera version for 5400rs which includes Bluetooth as well as sd card support. Comes with a 7" screen.

Thread Starter #13
Congrats and a nice review.
I prefer just the sensors. I got these autocop reverse parking sensors for my figo. Details here.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...20-000-kms-ownership-review-3.html#post467510

See if you can get the model without the rear view mirror. If you install this one , you won't be able to use the dimming feature and it vibrates a little when car is idling.
You can also get the camera version for 5400rs which includes Bluetooth as well as sd card support. Comes with a 7" screen.
I wouldn't want one which will replace the dimming feature, as I get blinded by the IRVM at night from bright headlamps. I will look for one which just gives an indication of obstacles when reversing.
Yesterday by mistake I slightly knocked against a bike that was closely parked behind my car when trying to removing it from the parking . It is very annoying to find bikes so closely parked on both sides of your car without a thought as to how the car driver will take it out later. [frustration][frustration] I badly need the reversing sensor to avoid this in future.

Some more thoughts on the ABT Maruti ASS:
Those people keep calling me back again and again, asking me to rate them 10/10 if Maruti calls. I am getting annoyed as this is the fourth call I am receiving after the 3rd free service. I think all Maruti dealers are feeling the pressure of getting well rated.
On the other hand, ABT did a good job in the 3rd service, and even vacuum cleaned the car fully. I would rate them 10/10, considering that they even fixed the damage free of cost to me. I just wish they were not so desperate.

I don't know if Tata or Mahindra or other manufacturer's dealers work overtime on customer satisfaction.

The last time I visited a Tata dealership (Concorde in Guindy), all I saw was a lot of disinterest and lack of knowledge in explaining features even to prospective customers.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
you can check for version without the mirror from the service center.
ford was selling me the same at 2800rs so then i just checked the price and decided to buy from the market. only after installing this i realized that dimming feature cannot be used.
sure , keep us updated.
about the ratings , don't they give you a feedback form when you get the bill at the service ?

Thread Starter #15
you can check for version without the mirror from the service center.
ford was selling me the same at 2800rs so then i just checked the price and decided to buy from the market. only after installing this i realized that dimming feature cannot be used.
sure , keep us updated.
about the ratings , don't they give you a feedback form when you get the bill at the service ?
I don't remember filling any feedback form. Their service manager called me earlier for feedback. But I believe Maruti randomly selects customers and asks them about the dealership. So they asked me to rate them 10/10 and not even give 8 or 9. I think a high rating helps them get better incentives from Maruti.

Top Bottom