Skoda Rapid MT 1.6 TDI Elegance – My Black Beauty

Thread Starter #1
The past:
My passion for speed started with 2 wheelers. The Yezdi, Road King, the lot... I wanted something different, so I searched all over the place and bought a used Yezdi Classic in the year 1985 from a friend’s friend. I have never had so much fun on any other bike until date, so many fond memories… Mr. Mohan Rao – Ex Engineer, Ideal Jawa Ltd, Mysore (Visweswpuram, Bangalore) should be credited for being patient with my precise needs of how the bike should deliver the power I wanted. First, we changed to Mikuni Carburetor. We have replaced cylinders & pistons, to get to this level… Modding a Yezdi in India is not easy which would result in performance that is very close to my Heart…. Anyway, I wanted something different. I have clocked 100+ on this many times during those days …. Remember the Bangalore Roads were highly notorious for cross roads everywhere, rash driving throwing caution to the winds, and little respect for Road Rules or other drivers on road, not to mention potholes aplenty.

Fast-forward 10 yrs. from then to 1995…
I decided to buy a car finally. My budget was 1.0 lakhs, the motor had to be free revving and punchy, and the car had to handle well. Nothing else fitted the bill other than an Ambassador. It looked awesome as well. Therefore, I picked up an Ambassador from Karnataka Police Auction – it was a Petrol Engine Car used by Deputy Commissioner of Bangalore, very well maintained, but sold due to Government policy to replace ageing cars periodically.
Within a year, got a Matador 301 (OM 616) Diesel Engine installed in Coimbatore, got heavy duty Clutch Plates, Tata 407 Break Fluid Pump, Premier Padmini Clutch Finger Kit so that the Clutch feels soft on the feet, complete upholstery makeover. Loved it.
In 1996, we drove down to Hassan, Belur & Halebedu and we touched 110kmph quite a few times (90~100kmph was regular). The car was running as good as new, its engine was butter smooth, always ran on Castrol Engine Oil/Gear Oil/Brake fluid/Coolant. I had some much fun in this car for 8.5 yrs., many memorable adventures; - sold the beloved Ambassador in 2004… and I miss it dearly.

The Second Car – after 2 Wheeler Accident
During those days, regular commute to work was by two Wheeler – Bajaj Chetak. However, I suffered a freak accident in 1998; a speeding fully loaded Matador Luggage Carrier rammed me from behind when I was waiting for Traffic Signal. Reason – break failure, which was true. The impact threw me out of my scooter, I landed on my back in the nearby Stone kerb (which was common in Bangalore those days) and the fall fractured my Coccyx, or Tailbone, the Coccyx functions to anchor several muscles of the pelvic region and acts as one of the bones that bear the body’s weight while sitting. Doctor advised me not to use two-wheeler, as Surgery could be risky.
On medical advice, we started to look out for a Car that was easy on the purse. I decided to buy a used Premier Padmini and soon converted it to run on LPG (as CNG was not available in Bangalore). My car would run 315~340 kms on 14.2 kg Gas cylinder. The running cost was only slightly higher than that of two-wheeler.
I sold both my cars in 2004, as I was moving to Gulf seeking Greener pastures in career.

The present - the search for the new car:
In the year 2013 around October, on my relocation from Gulf I thought of buying a new car. The search started. VW Vento, Hyundai Verna, Fiat Linea, Renault Scala, Suzuki SX4 and Skoda Rapid came into picture, which seem sufficient to cater my needs.
As days passed, we keep on searching internet forums to read thousands of pages all about all the cars considered by me and interviewed all my friends who own some of these. Might be one of the biggest search I made for something.

Requirements:
1. Diesel - 16v DOHC Common-rail with a Variable Geometry Turbo
2. Engine: 1.6 ~ 2.0 liter or higher, I was hoping for 1.4 TSI Twin charger VW Jetta
3. Horsepower: 120~160BHP or higher (I was targeting ~100 BHP / ton)
4. Torque: 25 kgm or higher
5. No turbo lag - little lag was acceptable if everything was brilliant in the car
6. Gearbox: 6 speed (or a brilliant 5 speed box was acceptable).
7. Length – 4400 mm, wheel base – 2550 mm, Height – 1500 mm, width – 1800 mm
8. Top speed: ~200 kmph ( I have clocked 200+ kmph in KSA on - Chevrolet Caprice, Chevrolet Lumina, Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla)
9. Mileage ~10 + kmpl in city
10. Brakes: All round discs
11. Wheels: 16 inch alloys, 205/55~60 tyres
12. Safety: ABS + EBD, 2 Airbags minimum
13. Handling: No body roll, shouldn’t wallop around during hard cornering
14. Steering feedback should be direct
15. Stiff Suspension for smooth ride
16. A/C climate control with rear vents
17. Audio system with USB
18. Steering mounted audio controls
19. Auto sense headlights and Rain Sense wiper
20. Rear Glass defogger
21. Real-time mileage indicator / distance to empty in the HUD
22. Electrically adjustable side view mirrors with Turn Indicators
23. Auto dimming inside mirror
24. Fog lights with LED DRL
25. Dual barrel Headlights with HID Projectors
26. Rear park sensors with Reverse Camera
27. Touch screen Music system with GPS Navigation

Yeah, I had the bar set very high, moreover, wanted a lot for very less, finally the Price: I froze on an extended budget of around 12 lakhs
Therefore, I set out to test drive the best cars. This was October-through-November’2013. I straight away dismissed *most* of the Petrol’s in the market as they did not have a Turbo, also dismissed all the Diesels under 100BHP (Renault Scala, Fiat Linea, Suzuki SX4, etc.) as they really did not feel enough for my taste.

Hyundai (fluidic) Verna SX 1.6 VGT: I love the way this baby looks. Love how refined the CRDI engine is, you can hardly hear it. Personally, the car does not feel like it has 126BHP under the hood. Too sluggish for my taste for city driving. Hate the gearbox. With a 6 speed box, do not understand how the 5th and the 4th gears should hit almost the same top speed…yes, I know there’s a marginal difference of about 10kmph. The tall ratios reflect in the in-gear acceleration times and makes the turbo lag quite pronounced in the city. 0-100 is good in 10.54s, but in-gear acceleration figures (20-80 in 3rd at 13s, and 30-100 in 4th at 15.1s) were ridiculous for a car with 126BHP and 6 gears. This thing has all round discs, but does not feel that way either. I hate the handling, lack of steering feedback, loathed the body roll and it scared the crap out of me when I experienced how unstable it was at high speeds. (A Friend crashed his Verna while driving at 120 kmph, the Airbags did not activate, the ABS did not work, etc.) Deleted it from my list of probable cars. I wish Hyundai would learn someday, no offence to those who love the new Verna, just expressing my point of view.

VW Vento 1.6 TDI Highline: Brilliant and punchy motor, revs quite freely for a diesel, amazing torque of 25kgm. Virtually no turbo lag, good 5 speed gearbox with excellent gear ratios, looks great, pricing is fine …Did not like the fact that the engine was a little noisy and that the handling /steering feedback was ok/acceptable (not great). The 0-100 (11.30s) figures do not do justice on paper as it feels faster than that, but the brilliant part is the in-gear acceleration. 20-80 in 3rd (9.24s), and 30-100 in 4th (10.5s) is unbelievable for a car in this class. Compare it to the Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI’s in-gear acceleration figures of 20-80 in 3rd (9.47s) and 30-100 in 4th (10.79s) – the Vento is actually quicker in-gear, the mileage is great too at 13.1kmpl in the city. Feature rich, and I also had the safety features I wanted. The Vento also just got Steering mounted audio controls Rear-parking sensors and USB input in the audio system as well. I was just wishing the diesel clatter (NVH) was slightly better, the handling could have been slightly better, and wishing it had 16” wheels with 195/60 or 205/55 tyres. I liked this car but wanted to explore other options before I decided.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI – Highline: What a package. Has pretty much everything anyone needs, Looks fantastic, handles well, punchy motor, the DSG is phenomenal as usual, you get 8 airbags, traction control, Electronic stability program, Electronic Differential Lock, etc. – so it’s as safe as safe can get, and very clever. Similar acceleration and fuel economy as the Laura (same engine and weight as the Laura, so obviously), and, you have one extra gizmo - the paddle shifts. The best fun I have had in my entire life. The best test drive of any car in India. If anyone has not yet driven the Jetta Highline DSG with paddles, take a test drive ASAP. You will not be disappointed. When I decide to buy an automatic, it had to be a diesel with DSG of course, but it had to have paddle shifts. Jetta was the new automatic of choice. What I did not like is that when you pay 20+L, you do not get USB input in the audio system, and you do not get climate control either. I think they will throw these into the next refresh, whenever it happens. I also wanted to test drive the Jetta manual, but they did not have one.

Skoda Rapid MT 1.6 TDI Elegance:

I read the Auto car preview, looked good. Then the Team-BHP review, and man – what a review. It was beautifully crafted, and as detailed as ever. After reading the review, I ran to the nearest Skoda showroom and took a hard look at the car. It was love at first sight. Then I drove it, thrice in 3 days – I began to appreciate the improved handling and NVH (as compared to the Vento). I was impressed, Skoda had apparently communicated (as per some websites) that the 0-100 is 10.8s for the TDI (as compared to the Vento’s measured 11.3s. Hmm… not sure, how far this is true, we will know when Auto car or somebody else measures it in more detail, but note that the Rapid is very slightly lighter. The engine felt very nice for sure, slightly better than the Vento for some reason, and equally punchy or better. The in-gear acceleration figures should be the same as the Vento. It certainly felt very quick, identical or better than the Vento. In addition, I get the TDI Elegance for 12L, which is 80k cheaper than the Vento Comfort line. Of course, you get Steering audio controls, USB input in the audio system and Rear park sensors, but after negotiating with the dealer, I managed Car Mats, Steel Scuff Plates, and High Security Number Plates as Complementary. The Rapid was looking like a very good deal; the best part was that I was highly impressed by the engine.

Now, I had to decide between the Skoda Rapid Elegance and VW Vento 1.6 TDI Highline. I slept on this for a few days. I could not decide for almost a week, Then, I just froze on the Rapid – it is extremely good value for money, its Diesel and very fuel efficient, so my running costs are very low. In addition, I will get a good resale value when I sell it.

I had countless arguments with myself, cause the Rapid did not meet some of the over-enthusiastic minimum requirements that I had set for myself:

Rapid’s Specifications:
1. Engine: 1.6L TDI CR,16V DOHC with VGT (variable geometry turbo)
2. Horsepower: 103BHP@4400 rpm
3. Power to Weight: 87BHP/Ton
4. Torque: 25 kgm or 250Nm@2500 No turbo lag -
5. Transmission: 5-speed fully synchronized
6. Length – 4386 mm, wheel base – 2552 mm, Height – 1466 mm, width – 1699 mm
7. Top speed: Rapid will hit a ‘true’ 186kmph. That is like 190/195kmph on the speedo. 200kmph on the speedo is good enough for me.
8. Mileage: Rapid gives 20.5* kmpl (Rule 115 of CMVR)
9. Braking system: Hydraulic dual-diagonal circuit braking system vacuum assisted
10. Brake Front: Disc brakes with inner cooling, with single/piston floating caliper
11. Brake Rear: Drum brakes
12. Wheels: 16 inch alloys, 185/60 R15 tyres
13. Safety: ABS + EBD, 2 Airbags
14. Security: Engine immobilizer with floating code system
15. Steering: Direct rack and pinion steering with electro mechanic power steering
16. Front Axle: McPherson suspension with lower triangular links torsion stabilizer
17. Rear Axle: Compound link crank-axle
18. A/C: Automatic with electronic regulation of cabin temperature
19. Audio system: ŠKODA 2-DIN audio player with large format display
20. ORVM: Electrically adjustable external mirrors
21. Multi-Function Display: Travelling time, distance travelled, average speed, immediate consumption. Average consumption, distance to refueling, service interval, outside temperature, clock, etc.
22. Storage: 460 liters luggage compartment space
Therefore, the Rapid TDI Elegance it was, and I do not regret it at all.

Again, this decision would not have been possible if not for the awesome and timely Team-BHP review. You guys rock. Thank you very much. Anyway, thought I would share all this as this might help somebody else looking for a car in this segment (or the next segment).

On 13th December 2013, paid booking advance of INR 25,000. Moreover, the wait began. Finally got a call on 17th December 2013, informing that the car is billed from the factory and can be sent for registration by the end of next week. The car reached stockyard on 16th December 2013. Made payment on 19th of December 2013, and finally got delivery on 20th of December 2013, one of the luckiest day in my life after a long wait.

Delivery Experience with Skoda customer care/dealers:

Meter was showing around 18 kms at the time of delivery, my observations are
1. Solid tank like build quality.
2. Exceptional paint, fit, finish and interiors.
3. Superb steering wheel, effortless driving and a premium feel inside.
4. No problems with rear view as reported by some people.
5. Smooth engine performance, no cabin noise once you close windows.
6. Tilt and telescopic steering is a boon.
7. No problems with front view as seat height adjustment, compensates to it.
8. Effective AC.
9. Superb ride quality, absorbs bumps, no rattle sounds.
10. Super smooth gearshift adds to joy of driving, my next will be an automatic.
11. High speed stability.
12. The rear seat is comfortable and spacious, enough legroom.
13. Got parking sensor from dealer. Both performing good.
14. My car is an eye candy to everybody.

Disclaimer: All performance and fuel efficiency figures quoted are courtesy Auto car India Magazine, but of course, it does not take a genius to understand they are accurate when you drive the cars.

Congratulations on your purchase.
It has a lot of desirable features and is sure built like a tank.
Do post some pictures.
DRIVE SAFE

Congrats buddy, how many kms on the odo as on today? and long term review will really be appreciated after all you have owned the car for 4 years.

OT: I remember mods didn't approved my thread because there were no photos, i wonder how your thread was made live? In short throw in some pics.

Thread Starter #5
First Impression:
Exterior:

Well, with the current face-lift of the Rapid, Škoda has actually made the Rapid look more elegant and matured. The front end is the most prominent change done to the Rapid and now the Rapid looks far more upmarket. I love the clean and straightforward design of Rapid. The beefy chrome around the redesigned radiator grille sandwiched between two rectangular headlights, gives the Rapid something of an aggressive and chiseled face. It is equipped with discreet aerodynamic wipers and the bonnet has a definitive ridge down the middle, ends with a Chrome strip highlighting the all-new chrome Škoda logo. The two fog lights are a compliment to the headlights and the lower fascia is of a honeycomb design, which looks to give the radiator directly behind it more than enough of that essential airflow.

New projector headlamps are a substantial upgrade from the previous ones, which suffered poor visibility issues. Thanks to Škoda for bringing projector, lamps (first in the segment I guess).The light throw and illumination are much better now, even with the stock bulbs. The projector is only for low beam and high beam is by a halogen lamp with reflector, which when turned on, dims the projectors out. I am very pleased with the new headlamps.

The front Fog lamps are quite big and rectangular. The brightness of the fog lamp definitely shall help in enhancing the visibility during bad weather and nighttime drives. The new Rapid beats the stereotypical small size-fog lamp setups given by competitors.

Coming to the side profile, the side profile remains mainly similar to the out-going model except for the tweaks done to the front and rear quarter panels to accommodate the redesigned headlamp and tail lamps clusters. The rear quarter glass also remains same with no use of Chrome, which is a very good move by Škoda. It clearly highlights the saying, "Beauty lies in Simplicity" if I may say with regards to the side profile

My Škoda car had the 16” Antares alloys and came with Apollo (185/60) with sensible-sized brake discs. The grip of the Tires was good and the ride also felt quite comfortable, dropped my plans to upgrade tyres. Paint job is splendid and flaw-less. The ORVMs provide a wide field of vision, aiding in easy driving. Looking from side, Rapid appears much longer than it actually is. These are often mistaken to be saloons and it is easy to see why as the roofline has a gradual slope down and juts out at the back.

Moving on to the rear profile, the new Škoda Rapid gets redesigned Taillights with redesigned bumper as well. Prism cut creases on the rear end adds to the looks definitely. At the rear, there is a pair of bold taillights forming a definitive C-shape, but still miss on a LED element in them. The turn indicators and reverse lights in the tail lamps continue with the normal bulbs.

Škoda Rapid gets a boot space of 460 Lts. The boot is spaciously designed and is well carpeted and illuminated as well. The loading lip is also not too high so loading and unloading of luggage will not be a worry. The boot lid also gets proper insulation on the inside, which looks aesthetically done and curbs the unwanted rattles and noises from the boot when running on low load. From the top corners of these juts, a sharp folded line in the boot as in the new Škoda Octavia - things it seems will become something of a signature styling point for Škoda. In rather a stylish typeface are three smart chromed badges: 'Škoda' top left, 'Rapid' top right and 'TDI' on the bottom right - it looks classy.

Build Quality:

The doors are actually heavy and have that reassuring baritone thud that echoes quality. The build quality is typically European with no compromise at any corner. Panel gaps are consistent everywhere and engine bay is neatly packed with good insulation underneath the bonnet. The bonnet itself is so heavy that I could not bear it on a single hand for a while. Under-body comes with anti-rust coating from factory with 6 years warranty, which is a great relief.

Interior:

I prefer beige interiors, to my liking Rapid’s interiors are beige and Mocassino (brown) combination.To my eye, all the plastics are robust, nicely textured and whilst yes, they are rough to the touch; keep in mind the price point that it is functional rather than luxurious. Electric windows all-round are a likable feature, however the driver's side is one-time down, but not one-time up which is mildly annoying.

The steering wheel is a fresh looking three-spoke one unlike the typical Škoda four-spoke wheel. Yeah, it now comes with the steering mounted audio controls, arranged as a track changing rocker, a volume control roller (comes handy than button type volume controls) and a call answer/end button. The steering wheel now bears three chrome trims, neatly laid out and adds to the premium feel. Gear knob, hand brake and steering wheel gets leather wraps, and another premium adding upgrade.
The dials look good and classy. Dials, instrument cluster and power window controls are green illuminated, whereas ICE and AC display get white illumination. The green illumination is a boon to locate switches and easy on eyes while night driving. Night vision the IRVM provides is useless. The cabin space is enormous, the rear quarter glasses add to the feeling of airiness. Ergonomics well designed no major flaws except for the driver armrest, which hinders using the parking brake lever, but makes the driver comfortable on long highway trips. European style placement of wiper stalk on right side bemused me a bit, but got used to it in a couple of days. All switches and controls, especially power windows and ORVM adjustments are on the driver side door panel. There are ample number of storage spaces and cup holders, brilliantly placed (For instance the foldable cup holder below the rear air-conditioned vents). Under the climate controls there is a space ideal for both my wallet and phone, however the one underneath the climate control is set too far back so you cannot fit a normal sized bottle snugly in there as it is too tall. This is also mildly annoying. Height adjustable three point seatbelts are comfortable and encourages me to wear. 460L of boot space is humongous and more than adequate for my requirements. The doors open wide in three stages and ingress is quite easy. Overall experience is quite fair.

Seats:

Seating wise, It was good to see Škoda providing front and rear armrest as standard in all variants. Škoda Rapid is not a 5 seater firstly. The transmission hump in the rear does not leave space for the 3rd passenger, the rear armrest also occupies significant space when open thereby further omitting the seating for the 3rd passenger in the rear. Seat comfort is quite good, whilst not soft, they offer excellent all-round support. They hug around the torso and have a slightly elongated base to give greater thigh support. I found the front seats to be quite comfortable and well bolstered with ample thigh support as well. The headrests of the front seats are also adjustable there by further enhancing the seating comfort for the driver and the front passenger. Height adjust has a good range, reclines and of course moves backwards/forward, so it is easy to find the ideal seating position. Lumbar support would have made it better. Would have loved the height adjustment for the passenger seat. The fabric seat covers make it much better except on a scorching sunny day. The stitching and the quality of fabric used in the seats is also good but the Beige shade shall catch dirt and stains easily. Rear side lever to push the passenger side seat is a useful feature. Head restraints are pleasing during long drives. It adjusts for height, - no lumbar, but it is not needed for me. There is a no dead pedal rest next to the pedals, so you can rest back in comfort. The front legroom is also quite good for tall people.

Coming to the rear seats, Rapid left me asking for more honestly. The rear seats provide good headroom, legroom, firm back support and knee room with enough thigh support but that I cannot compare with Honda City. The broadness and plushness of the rear seat of Honda City was missing in the Rapid. I would term the seating comfort not exceptional but just above average only.

AC:

The climate control is functional, easy to use and in auto mode it's very effective. It also looks very smart and gives the car a bit more of an upmarket feel. Rear Air conditioner vents help in cooling the cabin quickly. Overall performance is satisfactory but I have seen better ACs. The AC vents now look richer with nice, shinier chrome rims around.

Gizmos:

There are no astounding gizmos, but the necessary stuff has been provided. MID with gear shift indicator, outside temperature, time since engine start, real time FE, service reminder, distance to empty, etc., control rocker for which is placed on wiper control stalk. I must mention about the upgraded ICE, which sounds remarkably good for an OEM system. Thanks to Škoda for finally adding USB and phone connectivity to the new system along with steering mounted audio controls. In fact, it is better than that in Ecosport, which grabbed quite a few ears. It now has Bluetooth connectivity and steering mounted call control button. USB connectivity has been added alongside the conventional aux-in and SD car slots

Engine & Transmission:

I am seriously in love with this engine. Churning out 104 BHP @ 250N/m Torque, this engine never repudiates driver’s desires. When I get some stirring power, I do not mind hearing some clatter. You do however have to work the gearbox a bit to avoid flat spots at lower revs, at which it is quite fussy about which gear you're in where it will then labor relatively easily. The sound turns into a nice roar on revving harder. The turbo lag is barely noticeable, easy to drive in city conditions with this super peppy engine. Out there on highways, it will sure pump a surge of adrenaline in the driver. The engine is also very relaxed at speed and hence quiet. That said, the turbo kicks in quite early in the rev range and has a lovely little whistle, which I love. It seems most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd gear where you can be merely tickling the throttle and it will suddenly take off with very, very little in the way of lag. It is almost incredibly smooth and on country roads and motorways it makes excellent progress and it has a decent overtaking ability too.

Gear ratios are short particularly for 1st and 4th gears. 5th gear provides a wide range of play and easy to gain from the lower speeds makes overtaking effortless. The shifts are not so smooth, especially 4th to 5th. Hope they get smoother with time. The gear knob is grippe as well as cozy to hold.

Ride Quality, Suspension, Handling and NVH:

The ride might not be described as especially supple, but it doesn't crash over potholes, handles speed bumps well and best of all, there is practically no body roll at all. It really is in an entirely different league. If anything, it is not a very dynamic drive and the steering is somewhat numb and un-involving. Still, it is wonderfully smooth and the steering wheel itself feels quality. My only grouse is the terrifying scraping sound while bumping the speed breakers, though it occurs only on full load. I guess this sound comes from the long mud flaps kissing the humps. The stock tyres, which are Apollo Alnacs, make hell of a noise on scraped and worn out roads. I am contented with the ride quality.

The suspension setup is tad stiffer, the ride was perfect on smooth roads, and even small potholes did not bother me and upon slightly rough patches, the jerk was not much noticeable as well. There are proper plastic covering provided to the shocker mounts on both the sides, which not only protects it from undue dust but also saves it from direct water spray during servicing. Moving ahead, there is sufficient cladding provided in the wheel wells both in front and rear by Škoda to this Rapid so the road noise was curbed to a good extent. Body roll is well controlled and playing around corners is much exciting now. Gives me absolute confidence driving in high-speeds. Maneuvering in traffic was also easy enough and the size of the car does not bother when cornering at low and medium speeds and tackling relatively crowded spaces. So, the quality of ride overall feels acceptable to me with suspension performance being good.

There is definitely an audible clatter from engine on cold start, which eventually fades off as the car starts to roll out. Dampening of NVH, levels are sufficient, compared to VW Vento; Thus, NVH wise I am disappointed with the Rapid. I guess it will take time for Škoda to make silent diesel engines as the clatter still exists even on idle. The engine comes packed with a proper engine cover and under-hood cladding, but still the noise of the engine filters inside, so definitely better insulation is required. Škoda still gives that "Stick" to hold the hood instead of hydraulic struts, a desirable upgrade.

Steering and Brakes:

New steering with leather wrap gets cozy in the hands. Thanks to the tilt and telescopic adjustments, which provide a wide range of length and angle adjustments. The steering feels a bit lighter, I for one felt so, as I am very much used to the stiffer steering of GM. Maneuvering in city is so simple now. The steering weighs up considerably as the car hits higher speeds adding to the stability. At the high speeds, the steering feedback was accurate and it did not feel lifeless.

Coming to the braking, the facelift comes with front Disc and rear Drum brake setup, I must admit that Rapid is equipped with a precise braking system with a short braking distance. The braking system is efficient and adding to that the ABS, Dual-rate brake assist and EBD makes it more secure as a highway and city drive-able car. The brakes feel sharp and willing to stop you on a button if need be, and the clutch is of a nice weight and easy to judge.

I remember that on Nice road exit toward Kanakapura road on a curve I applied brakes at 80-85 Km/hr. I was impressed with the way the car performed. Not a single absurd movement or jerk and it came to a smooth halt and surprisingly the body roll was negligible. The biting point of the brakes is acceptable and for those who often drive on 3 digit speeds do not have to worry. Better never to over-speed.
Verdict:

I shall keep updating this thread with my ownership experiences, cost of upkeep and maintenance, after sales service, etc., subsequently.

Attachments

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
This is by far the most professionally written review i've recently read. Well done!
Congrats on the beast. I guess are remap will help unlock the dark side of skodas and you may be able to break the 200 barrier if Gear ratios permit.

Also its weird that projectors dim out when high beams are engaged. Thats not supposed to happen.

Congrats again and enjoy the ride!

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Skoda Rapid. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
You would have kept Yezdi, since it have more value now a days.

Top Bottom