“My Nimble Mountain Goat”: A Dazzle Blue Tata Nano XTA (1.5 Years & 14K Kms)

Thread Starter #1
Being a Nanofreak as my #tag handle suggests, was sincerely waiting for a small city drive automatic, (All this while neither the Alto or Celerio AMT, were even considered) and after the launch of Tata Zest AMT in 2013/14, and the numerous rumors/sightings etc of a possible Nano “F -Tronic”, then the GenX Nano was launched in early ’15, with nice interiors & better looking exterior, and the openable tailgate.
DSC_0313.JPG
DSC_0311.JPG
DSC_0312.JPG
DSC_0320.JPG
DSC_0321.JPG
The Buying Decision & Process:
Since Aug/Sept 2016 was looking around for a used Nano, but many knowledgeable gurus here told me to only consider a post 2012 model but in vain. So popped the question to wify, about the Nano AMT, and told her being an automatic, she could eventually learn how to drive a car, without the bother of changing gears, she bit the bait.

TD’s:
We did multiple TD’s with my wife, and she quite liked the roominess, comfortable ride, and upmarket interiors, Vineet the SA from Sai Motors, showed us all features.

We had also TD’ed the Redi-Go, but the harshness of the motor and engine noise and bumpy ride, put us off, and the price was 1 lac more that the Nano XTA.

Price:
Sept end decision was made for the Nano XTA, and we both decided on 2 color Purple or Blue, now there are 2 dealers in Kanpur, and both did not have XTA, and the on-road price quoted by Society was 3.25L after all discounts and buy back of my 1999 M800, and a lead time of 2/3 weeks,

On 1st Oct Sai Motors RM called me and offered 3.2 L without buyback of M800, he will just take a copy of the RC, and lead time of 1 week, (Lko dealer has 2 AMT one purple & Blue) VIN showed March/April mfr, I told him my budget is 3L, he said he will check the next day and get back.

2nd Oct was a Sunday, I took my check book, and drove down to Sai Motors, Vineet SA met me, and we met the RM, and after a few calls offered me 3L!!!! what a steal price. (with the 6 free accessories) including insurance and RTO tax. Paid the advance of 1L, and was promised a delivery in a couple of days, 4th evening received a call that the car will be delivered on the next day.

What I Liked:
+ Simple Tata Engineering, (frugal 624cc engine). She returned a mileage of 25.3kmpl on one Lucknow trip. The worst she delivered around 16 in chaotic BtoB traffic.
+ The only Rear wheel mounted and driven car in India (VW Bug being benchmark!!!),
+ Seats 4 well-built people very comfortably, even on long journeys.
+ Steering wheel looks and feels much better than what you get in a 5+ Lac car.
+ AMT reason why I bought this, details below.

What I Didn’t:
- No mud flaps available for GenX.
- Useless boot space, (More so in the XTA due to the humped engine cover) can manage a couple of in cabin trolley bags, and back pack.
- No bottle/cup holders, I’ve installed aftermarket cup holders on either side of the center console, just below the gear lever.
- New drivers will find the blind spot on the A pillars daunting.

AMT:
I quite enjoy the nimbleness with which this darts once slotted in “A” mode.

Creep function works like a charm, both in the forward & reverse mode.

I reverse park every night in my parking space, which is on an incline, and never use the accelerator.

Like all small cars have to carefully plan the highway overtake.

The downshifts I have perfected is, just ease the accelerator and press it with slightly more input, and she darts like a nimble mountain goat.

Aftermarket Accessories Installed:
• LED cabin light
• Reversing Camera
• Cup holders
DSC_0415.JPG
DSC_0389.JPG
1st Service Experience:
Did it at 1500Km, just general cleaning, some spit and polish, TASS give it an 8/10.

General Health Check:
Last week completed 4950 km, (In barely 3 months of ownership), Nano was performing sluggish, took an appointment, and was attended to immediately, they cleaned the air filter and spark plugs, and a through wash, got a follow-up call next day, and I mentioned that the fan belt was making a squeak sound during the morning run, so they sent a mech home, he checked and tightened the fan belt, now the performance is much improved.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and thanks to all in TAI for their valuable inputs, a big shout out to Akash, Rahul, DJ Bro, Vikyjoshi.

Regards

Vinod

Re: “my nimble mountain goat” – a dazzle blue nano xta

The centre console looks good. A very practical choice for peace of mind in city traffic. Happy mile munching sir. I sat in a Nano cab for the first time during a trip to Sri Lanka recently. The headroom was excellent and the rear bench was surprisingly comfortable, though the cabby had pushed the left front seat forward quite much to free legroom. The ride was decent too, did not feel nervous at all in city speed. cheers!

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: “My Nimble Mountain Goat” - A Dazzle Blue Tata Nano XTA

Being a Nanofreak as my #tag handle suggests, was sincerely waiting for a small city drive automatic
Please feel free to ask any questions, and thanks to all in TAI for their valuable inputs, a big shout out to Akash, Rahul, DJ Bro, Vikyjoshi.
Vinod Sir, Mubarak Ho! The much awaited review is finally up! The car in Blue looks awesome. Sir, do keep updating the review as often as possible. Wish you a happy journey with Nano.

Regards

Akash

bhvm

Honoured Member

Nimble car and nimble write up!
Congrats on the tiny goat. May you have many happy & Safe miles along with this blue beauty.

Hi Nanofreak,
Congratulations on your Mountain Goat and wish you millions of happy miles with it [:)]. I happened to ride in a Nano XTA during my Tiago purchase as we used to visit the stock yard several times. I must admit that it is such a wonderful little car inside out. The 8 km trip totally flipped my perception of Nano from a cheap car to a practically built city commuter. Ever since I have been recommending Alto prospects to at least TD the Nano before joining the Maruti crowd.

Heartiest congratulations on your Goat, looks cool in this blue shade.Wish it serves you many happy miles.Do share the pictures of your after market cup holders.Happy driving.

Congratulations Sir, wish you peppy motoring and worry free drives.

Have to agree, that your Goat looks lovely [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #9

The centre console looks good. A very practical choice for peace of mind in city traffic. Happy mile munching sir. I sat in a Nano cab for the first time during a trip to Sri Lanka recently. The headroom was excellent and the rear bench was surprisingly comfortable, though the cabby had pushed the left front seat forward quite much to free legroom. The ride was decent too, did not feel nervous at all in city speed. cheers!
Thanks @roadrunner, you are absolutely spot on the ride is very decent, and does not crash on potted roads or humps.
Congrats sirjee. Hope you get more smile per mile.
Yes @Rahul, ever since I bought my NMG!! I do not touch my other workhorse the Waggy.
Vinod Sir, Mubarak Ho! The much awaited review is finally up! The car in Blue looks awesome. Sir, do keep updating the review as often as possible. Wish you a happy journey with Nano.

Regards

Akash
Reporter Sahib, the color is a head turner especially with the buchaa party, i'm loving it, thanks for your kind words.
Nimble car and nimble write up!
Congrats on the tiny goat. May you have many happy & Safe miles along with this blue beauty.
Bhvm I attempted the DIY LED cabin lamp install, as an inspiration from you.
Hi Nanofreak,
Congratulations on your Mountain Goat and wish you millions of happy miles with it [:)]. I happened to ride in a Nano XTA during my Tiago purchase as we used to visit the stock yard several times. I must admit that it is such a wonderful little car inside out. The 8 km trip totally flipped my perception of Nano from a cheap car to a practically built city commuter. Ever since I have been recommending Alto prospects to at least TD the Nano before joining the Maruti crowd.
Thanks @Prabhagar for your insight, I have done umpteen trips to Lucknow, and its a breeze on the highway as well.
Heartiest congratulations on your Goat, looks cool in this blue shade.Wish it serves you many happy miles.Do share the pictures of your after market cup holders.Happy driving.
Thanks @Vijay, I will add the cup holder pics. am planning to put cushioned arm rest for the front & back, let me see if my cushionwala will see what I want.
Congratulations Sir, wish you peppy motoring and worry free drives.

Have to agree, that your Goat looks lovely [thumbsup]
Thanks @Gautam, for your kind words.

congratulations sir ji,

I know you have been holding it for a long time now, its a really good vehicle.

Can you give me more details about the reverse camera? Price and all. Also please post some pics of the cup holders.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11

congratulations sir ji,

Can you give me more details about the reverse camera? Price and all. Also please post some pics of the cup holders.
Thanks kinshuk, am enjoying my time, which is obvious with the kms clocked.

I bought the reverse camera from Amazon in Oct, for 2.5k, here is the attachment

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01LQ8CTDA/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o2_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Congratulation! Nano is really an amazing city car.

I would suggest you to get your all 4 new tyre replaced with Michilin XM2 155/65R12 so that you get maximum grip. I did to my dad's car when it was new. The ride improved to great level. Also you can get maximum price for buy back offers.

Thread Starter #13

congratulations sir ji,

The cup holders, works well, and doesn't fowl with the legs on both sides, got these online, used double ended tape for fixation.
DSC_0524.JPG
DSC_0526.JPG

Congratulation! Nano is really an amazing city car.

I would suggest you to get your all 4 new tyre replaced with Michilin XM2 155/65R12 so that you get maximum grip. I did to my dad's car when it was new. The ride improved to great level. Also you can get maximum price for buy back offers.
Thanks @Amit, I do have your tyres upgrade on the back of my mind, ever-since I got my NMG, am window shopping for 13" alloys with 3 lug-nuts, with low profile tyres, no hurry, this is surely in my to do list.
My local stickerwala is asking for 550 for carbon fiber look roof, and 400 for matt black, please do let me know if its ok, thanks @Rahul who has kindly given his inputs on these on whatsapp.

do get the sticker, I want to hear somebody's personal opinion after the sticker job so that I can decide. [;)]

Top Bottom