Hyundai Verna transform – A rare bread going strong at 1.20L KM
Background and Buying Overview
In 2010 I was working in Delhi and use to travel from Delhi to Home town (Himachal) in bus but after marriage it was not possible due to bus sickness of better half so need arise to purchase a new car. As it was long travel around 1200 KM both side so we start looking for diesel vehicle in budget of around 10L. We already have Hyundai so we went to check Hyundai dealer first and Verna was available at that time, we liked car and it power. Other vehicle consider was Swift desire , City and Skoda Octavia
1) Hyundai Verna
Pros – Space , power , pickup , big boot , service center nearby and known people
Cons – Not a good handler , availability ( Verna Transform was going to be launched at that time and old Verna was not available
2) Swift Dezire
Pros – Maruti Service and spare part availability, big boot , good average, national engine ( 1.3L diesel)
Cons – Too common, wify do not like it.
3) City not considered due to petrol engine
4) Skoda Octavia was going out of budget
5) Tata cars had reliability issue so they were not considered.
In end we got Verna transform as it was new model and we thought that Hyundai will continue it for 2-3 years. It also looks good to both of us. So finally in July 2010 we booked car and got it in August 2010.
First impression was very good , power surge was & still is very addictive of 1.5 Ltr diesel engine. Only to check speed I took it to 150 KMPH for few seconds in open road and it had power to go above 160 KMPH. Never tried it again as it is not safe to travel in such speed. Normally I travel between 80-90 KM per hour speed and got good average from it.
Dealer ship experience was again charm , we were out of showroom in 4 hours with car. As car was fully loaded so I only add seat cover of false leather which cost me around 8K.
Total cost of purchase was around 9.5L on road.
Initial Ownership Impressions
Car was fully loaded, few features which I like of car are --:
1) It contains automatic AC which is good to set temp to a limit.
– Once in highway lady was crossing from nowhere and I break hard and car did not skid, ABS
helped me that day
3) Breaking is very good and it stop with in few meters.
4) It has good ground clearance of around 170 MM and it never bump to any speed breaker or in hilly road with creators.
5) Getting in & out is from car is very comfortable.
6) Build quality was better in this Verna compare to new fluidic Verna.
7) 1.5 Lts Hyundai Engine is more robust & reliable as echoed by service center guys.
8) Rear Defogger is also very useful during rain & fog.
9) After 6 years still do not hear much rattle from dashboard and it feels same as new.
10) Power is still addictive and I love to drive it in highway.
11) It is very fuel efficient, getting city average at around 14-15 and highway between 18 (with AC)-20 (without AC).
12) Boot space is very good and it swallow log of stuff.
13) Gear shift is very smooth; I was not used to new reverse gear (by pulling it up) but it is very easy to operate.
14) Stock clutch works till 95K KM and currently car is on new clutch assembly.
15) Body roll is evident in Hill drive and it is not best handling car in market.
16) It has power but it is scary to drive above 120 KMPH, high speed behavior is not so good
Current odometer reading stand at 1.20L KM , it cover 1 Lakh KM last year.
Maintenance cost is not very high, I used to pay around 4-8K per service , but body spare parts are very costly as this model sold for only 10 months .
A rear parking light set cost me 4.5K to replace after it broke down.
Getting engine spare part for this car is easy as Hyundai has large service network and I use to get any parts from some any service center.
I have changed 3 sets of tyres , first 2 sets were gone bald very early due to alignment issue. Michelin XM2 covers 45K KM and current set are of Goodyear Duraplus changed at 108K KM.
From few weeks, clutch was not coming back to normal position after gear change, so I checked with service advisor. He told me to change clutch master cylinder which will cost around 6-10K, I have not changed it and car is still running fine .
As car was fully loaded so did not add much in it.
Now I am feeling to change music system with touch screen but wify want to get new car in place of new music system. I am in love with this car so do not want to sell it bus as I need to travel long distance with my toddler baby so do not want to take any risk with this car.
I am again planning to replace this Verna with new ride but did not find any VFM
car like Verna.
I am considering small SUV or CUV for next change like Creta , Duster , Brezza & Terrano. Wife rejected Breazza so left with Creta , Duster & Terrano . I was planning to purchase Creta on Jan 2017 but Hyundai is becoming greedy day by day. They again increase Creta price. I was looking for 1.6 SX diesel which cost 12.8L on road in my home town but now it will cross 14L which in my opinion is not VFM