My Life: A 1998 Maruti 800 STD

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
I am the proud owner of a 1998 model Maruti 800 STD [:)] . The car has just 38511 kms on the Odo.

It all started when I was about 3 months old when the car arrived from the showroom.
The showroom was Buishi Yada Motors, Naharlagun (Arunachal Pradesh). It was the only Maruti showroom in that area at that time. We had a waiting period of about 8.5 months because we had requested the Harvest green shade which was discountinued at that time but made available on request (This color shade also carries an interesting story !)
I am sorry but I was just a baby when the car had arrived :biggrin: so cannot tell you the exact amount that we had been charged but approx about 2,30,000INR.
Finally the beauty was delivered to us on 02.09.1998. It had some problem with the Transmission initially, but as the problem popped out just after 7 months of use, a new transmission was installed in place of the old one. I do not remember the actual problem in the GB, but it was something related to the pinion shaft.
The car was a standard model, hence it did not have many add-ons.
• It did not have a Ciggarete lighter.
• No catalytic converter.
We did plan installing a music system in the car but my father being a peace minded person,prefered silence in the cabin while driving.
All was going well, but after 34000kms on the Odo,we decided to shift to Ranchi,Jharkhand From Balipara,Assam in 2008 and all the problems started.
On reaching Ranchi, we went through a very tough period dealing with some personal problems during which the car was totally neglected. About after a year or so,when things changed a little, then we got into making our ride fit for the roads again. But again there were some legal Issues with the car which took an astonishing amount of time to sort out. 07 years. [anger]
During this period,the car was literally lying idle.
We did fire it up once in a month during the initial days,was only till couple of months.
After a long wait,Finally all the work was completed in 2015 after which the car got its second life literally.
During the Hibernation period, some major issues that I had to sort out:
• Head valve was jammed
• Carburettor was all clogged up
• Brake’s went bad
• Fuel tank was rusted
A lot of other things were also replaced:
• Timing Belt
• Tensioner
• Oil pan
• Left axle

The car was now in drivable condition. In October,2016 after reading about all the technical things about the car, the following things were done:
• Water pump replacemnt (Due to Noise)
• Antirust coating
• Numerous little things……..
The car also had some kind of starting problem:
While cranking,there was a very loud screeching noise, during which the engine would not start but had to crank again to finally start the engine. I was quite worried about this.
The MASS I visit (M/S Maruti Automobiles),gave me two reasons for that noise:
• Self Starter Pinion
Or
• Flywheel
First got the pinion replaced, but then also the noise did not go away.
Finally they replaced the Flywheel along with the Clutch Plate and Pressure Plate. The noise was not there anymore.

Re: My Life- A 1998 Maruti 800 STD

Nice write up keep going, share your experiences about your car. I also had zen its my first love.

-suryaputhra

Thread Starter #4
Nice write up keep going, share your experiences about your car. I also had zen its my first love.

-suryaputhra
Will surely do so Sir [:)]
Do you still own the Zen?

Recently my car had stopped in the middle of nowhere and it refused to start. It was towed to the nearest available mechanic, who did some changes in the Carb and started the engine.
The car refused to start the following morning. I had to try for 10 mins after which the car was started. I took the car to the MASS where the SA (Mr.Dhiraj) took a test drive and his conclusion was that the engine RPM was fiddled with,which resulted in the difficulty in starting the car early morning. Then while tuning the carb,a serious problem was found out. The pumping jet was broken. The carb had to be replaced.

Got a second hand carb (made in japan). The venturis were missing,apart from which all was fine.
IMG-20161122-WA0001 (1).jpeg
Also got a compression test done,and the results were quite astonishing!!
Ideal values: 1000-1350kpa
Results:
Cylinder 1-900
Cylinder 2-800
Cylinder 3-850.

I really did not expect this. [cry]

This result ruined my day .[frustration]

I am willing to keep the car for a long time. [:D]

Planning to go for a half engine change.

Suggestions are most welcomed.

Thread Starter #6
The Values are not terribly below standard.
How about Compression restorer additive And then some nice synthetic oil?
Yes Sir, I have ordered the liqui moly Stop Smoke oil which claims to increase compression of engines upto some extent. Will get a compression test after that and will share the results.

BTW,what may be the reason for this condition of the engine in less than 40k on the odo?[confused]

bhvm

Honoured Member
I have personally driven m800 engines to 1 lac km. such condition in 40k is quite alarming. at the back of my head I got a thought that low reading could be an measurement error or something like cold temperature etc.

still,it would be interesting after using the compresson restorer.

I would like to invite all engine restoration experts who could guide you better.
Mr..boss.
sathyapura
tsivipul.
deville 56.

Thread Starter #8

-suryaputhra
Sir, please comment on the low compression values of the engine. Is it not surprising for a 40k old engine?

It was lying idle for ~ 6 years.This might be the reason?

Who is Sathyaputra? [thinking]

Don't tell me that you started the car without a change in engine oil, filters change etc. If yes, then you require an engine repair.
M800 is cheaper than my Pulsar 220 to maintain and even if you get half engine overhaul done, then also it will be good enough. This is just a 40k kms old block, I would suggest you get in touch with some experienced outside mechanic. The Maruti A.S.S. guys have very less experience in dealing with 800 these days.

Ai Surya bhai, where are you? [:)]

Will surely do so Sir [:)]
Do you still own the Zen?
I have two zens one lost in fatal accident and the other one we are keeping it for ever. As BHVM said your compression values are not bad, engine compression test itself is not the real measure. I will post action plan in detail shortly.

@TSIVipul, Thank you bro, as BHVM said we all together help Aditya_Rnc in right manner.

@Aditya_Rnc keep your car. Old cars are emotinally attached with us. I still recollects my memoris on my lost zen.

-suryaputhra

Thread Starter #11
I have personally driven m800 engines to 1 lac km. such condition in 40k is quite alarming. at the back of my head I got a thought that low reading could be an measurement error or something like cold temperature etc.

still,it would be interesting after using the compresson restorer.

I would like to invite all engine restoration experts who could guide you better.
Mr..boss.
sathyapura
tsivipul.
deville 56.
It was quite surprising for me as well.
Just received the stop smoke oil. Will go for an oil change then add the additive.
Should i get the compression test done immediately or after a while?
IMG_20161201_161535_104.JPG

Thread Starter #12

I have two zens one lost in fatal accident and the other one we are keeping it for ever. As BHVM said your compression values are not bad, engine compression test itself is not the real measure. I will post action plan in detail shortly.

@TSIVipul, Thank you bro, as BHVM said we all together help Aditya_Rnc in right manner.

@Aditya_Rnc keep your car. Old cars are emotinally attached with us. I still recollects my memoris on my lost zen.

-suryaputhra
Surely Sir,will keep the car forever[cheers]. It is my family's first car and we all do not want to part with it.
One more reason being,the no nonsense behaviour of this car,and as BHVM mentioned,it is cheaper than a pulsar 220 when it comes to maintenance :biggrin:

Last edited:
Sir, please comment on the low compression values of the engine. Is it not surprising for a 40k old engine?

Head valve was jammed
You partly or fully got your answer.
What did you / your mechanic do with the jammed head?
Some possible reasons for low compression,
- Improper valve seating
- Blown head gasket
- Worn out rings
- Compression check before the engine warm up

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Who is Sathyaputra? [thinking]
T9 messes out the spellings sometime.

It was quite surprising for me as well.
Just received the stop smoke oil. Will go for an oil change then add the additive.
Should i get the compression test done immediately or after a while?
View attachment 215762
it's better you let the car run for some 100km before the test.

Surely Sir,will keep the car forever[cheers]. It is my family's first car and we all do not want to part with it.
Copy that.
I plan to keep my existing machines as long as possible.[:)]

Top Bottom