Tata Nano XTA: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone this is long term ownership review of TATA nano XTA. This review I am writing after using Nano for 10 months on all kind of roads, short distance of 2-3 kms to long distance for 800 kms in a day and hope this review will help people looking for a car in this category.

How it started

We own few cars (corolla, Mac E-250 ),SUV(TATA safari, LR discovery sports) and MPV( Innova sold now as we are going for HEXA)as we all know our city traffic and parking problem, We decided to go for a small car, for our daily use like shopping, dropping kids to school all nearby work where my family can travel together for movie or here and there nearby areas . That means we need a transport with 4 wheels a car a true city car.

HUNT BEGINS
We shot listed few cars
ALTO Manual/auto
Celero
Wagon R
I10
Beat

Guess what nano was never in list

We started our test drive with alto as 95% of friends suggested. It is a good car, but build quality is worst I felt like its little better than a Pepsi can, still we almost made up our mind that we are going for Alto automatic variant. So we decided to check out other options before booking Alto.
Celero on one look my wife didn’t like the way car was designed according to her even our kids could have designed better looking car paying 5+ lakhs for this car is not worth that was her words. And Wagon R I didn’t like, so thought not to wasting any more time in Maruti showroom.
I 10 brand new car in showroom looks old and our eyes are bugged seeing that I10 everywhere even interior looks very old nothing to refresh your eyes again don’t want to put 5+ lakhs on out dated car.

Beat we liked and drive was good but on price factor beat lost to alto, so Alto auto was finalized coming weekend we were planning to book Alto.
Wife is the one who is going to use this car so choice of color and accessories let she decide

Just 2 days before booking Alto my wife met her friend and they went for shopping in her friends new nano XTA she was very impressed with Nano on the way back home she went to TATA showroom and took all details about Nano and price was shooking we thought it is INR 1 lakh car but it is 3.80 lakhs.
Coming home she had made up her mind that she is going for Nano XTA not Alto. We all family and friends tried to convince her that Alto is much better option. But hardly any husband in this world would have won war against wife’s decision. As a good hubby I said ok we will take a drive and see if things work out, then we will go for nano. Next day evening we went to KHT MOTORS we got a nice welcome which is rare in TATA showroom; SA was very knowledgeable and proved us wrong that TATA SA’s are worst then few Government office staff. He immediately arranged for a test drive car, before we starting test drive he explain all features looking at that part it was perfect for us cute and simple interior nice looking steering wheel, power window,power steering, AC, decent music system with USB, CD AUX and FM Bluetooth was surprise package. Above all space plus 90 liters boot perfect car for us.

Now test drive

1st impression fell in love with steering wheel it was so easy to turn and maneuver in traffic, gear down shift was hmmmm not that great but I can live with that, jerk is felt in 1st and 2nd gear then it is like running hot knife on butter, AC is best in class it chilled whole car in few seconds in fact we have switched off AC because it chilled our bones too, space was much better then ALTO. What I liked the most was ride quality it was acting like small SUV I took nano on same road where I drive corolla and my friend drives his celerio we both felt Nano take these roads much better than our respective cars. And there is a sports mode which brings out little beast in her then she is ready for quarter mile race lol.

Booking

Once back in showroom we paid 5,000 and booked silver XTA SA promised delivery on 1st jan 2016 that was 7 days later, mean while there was few Nano ready for delivery and in that one was PINK and my wife wanted that color so went back and asked for pink nano SA said that will take a month but he promised by next day he will come up with a solution. Next day by 12 noon he called and told there is one pink nano in yard and he spoke and convinces the person for whom the car was alloted . And He can get 2016 manufactured nano in one month, as we told SA we are not bother about year of manufacture. So same day he arranged for PDI he came home picked us up drove to yard we checked the car everything was fine even took a small test drive inside yard. Once back in showroom we made payment. SA got us discount in insurance and remote boot, mud flap, floor mat and reverse parking sensor free we were happy asked him reason for these gifts he was honest sir year ending these things are there in offer people ask you didn’t but it’s my job to get best for my clients. In fact I would say best SA and service I have ever got from any car showroom .As I mentioned before that we own cars from different brand but we were pleased with TATA motors service now need to see how TASS staffs are.

Delivery

On 1 jan 2016 around 11.00 am our SA called and informed us that insurance is done and they will be taking nano for registration. And we can be in showroom between 5-6 and take delivery as I had some work at that time I requested if I can come early for which he replied that they need time to fix accessories or else some other day I have to visit to service center . I thought that will be pain then SA asked me what time I can come to showroom I replied by 8 or 9 pm he said he will wait . I was there at 9.10 pm he was waiting for me clicked few pics hand over sweet box ,document file etc then he gave me service mangers no and called him and introduce me over the phone to service manger a nice polite person,he told me any problem I can contact him directly. I handed over the gift I had taken for SA took Nano thanked him for all his support and left for home.

Finally ownership review

Driving home was not was that smooth heavy traffic and jerk in low gears was annoying me, sometimes car was still for few seconds I thought fuel is less so drove into fuel station filled for 1000/- rupees still problem was there call service manger he picked up my call on 1st ring and explained me how to drive XTA 1st thing he said was that this is soft foot car gently give throttle then one breath time smoothly lift foot form peddle and place it smoothly and guess what it works now Nano was fun to drive zip zip I reached home called service adviser and thanked him, at 10.30 finished pooja at home.

1st 1000 kms was like knowing the machine by then we noticed that fog lamp is cracked call SA he said take it to service center they will change it. Next day went to service center they asked me to wait for 1 hr and got car serviced and change fog lamp they were fast. About service center they are not like big brand service guys looks like local mechanics but listens to you and explain what they did and clear your entire doubt. Bill was 98 rupees I am happy with their service. Now I don’t believe in what people say or write personally happy with TATA MOTORS.

Next 5000 kms mostly driven by my wife and brother she is now an expert Nano XTA driver, she just zips in traffic .our big boys (other cars) are not at all used because Nano dose most of their job and by now in my family fight started for Nano everyone want nano ,now we have 2 more Nanos brother brought silver XTA, sister in law brought white. There is no rattling or any issue. car is smooth now mileage we are getting around 13-15 KMPL with 100% AC. You just need 2 bike parking space for nano . what we learned in this 5000 kms in cold start run the engine for few mints never push her hard, use soft foot, use sports mode for quick over taking, ride quality is very good ,there is some body roll ,sharp curves are scary, lot of space and in manual mode engine is much smoother than any other mode.

5000 kms to 10000 kms

Mostly used by me for long distance travelling just for fun took nano for 200 kms drive it was not tiring at all, it was smooth and manual mode is advised for long distance and MID shows 23.4 KMPL . For 1000 rupees fuel you can reach Chennai with 40% AC. You can do up and down Bangalore to Chennai and back same day for 1800 Rupees fuel. There is a issue with Nano breaking with AC on bumper to bumper traffic breaks don’t respond as it has to be and reason is small break booster it can’t hold much compression in that case press the break and give throttle it will work fine in highway breaking is very good and in normal condition too, steering weights up nicely giving you confidence.

Finally verdict

Nano is a good car for small family. Good choice for city drive, if you driving in normal speed then its equal to any other car in that category ,for 2 adult and 2 kids or 4 adult distance up to 300 kms is fine, ghat section better drive without AC in manual mode you can put few big cars and SUV’s in shame. For that money nothing can beat Nano according to me NANO is most underestimated car. 1st Reason brand TATA ,2nd image of cheap car, 3rd few burning issues that even Audi Q 7 burnt in Mumbai recently you can’t take that as a reason ,but we Indian are ok with German, Japanese, Koreans etc but when its by an Indian company we will go extra mile in negative thinking. Nano is a good family car for people who are planning to by a 2 wheeler. Just Rs 40,000 down payment Rs 5000 EMI you can bring home nano or 2nd car for family, if I have to buy my son a bike for college I will go for nano it is much safer than bike. Just don’t read or listen to people what they say go drive and feel what this little wonder is all about. People say nano is for ONLY 40,000 KMS. In Sri lanka I have cross Nona taxies with ODO of 1, 80,000 to 2, 30,000 kms. still running so it’s not something use and throw kind of thing it is real CAAAAARRR..Since birth Nano changed lot and changed for good and still changing only thing is that we need to change our mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tata Nano GenX Automatic: Test Drive

Very well said. Nano is very underrated car.. Its paisa wasool for the price what we pay for nano . If you have good bargaining power you will get good discounts too. I covered 2800+ kms in 2.5 days in old nano covering andhra, telangana, karnataka, maharastra and gujarat.

I didnt face any problem. i know the limits of nano and i have driven within that limits. One of my cousin is looking for a car and i asked him to go for TIAGO. He said, for TATA brand its waste to put money of 6lakhs. I was shocked.[anger]

Hi,
Congratulations on your TATA nano. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Nice to see good sales executives in TATA. I too had a chance to visit TATA showroom before a year. As usual no proper response, but really its good that you had a good, adjustable and knowledgeable Sales Executive.

Nice Ownership review of Nano. The problem with people is actually service center itself. They are hesitant to purchase Tata Cars only because of poor brand image, resale value and poor service. If Tata continues to improve in these departments, maybe people will change the mindset too.
One such example of horrible experience at Tata service is our forum member SS80 who had to sell his nano because of service issues.

Hi everyone this is long term ownership review of TATA nano XTA.
Congratulation on your new Nano, and yes as you have stated it is the most underrated car. Had this been launched by Maruti, people would have lapped up like crazy. However, it is good you are enjoying this car. Wish you many many happy miles with your cute city car.

Congrats Milemuncher. Its an awesome review. Really enjoyed reading. Nano is very fuel efficient and I do see lots of Nano in Bangalore roads.I too bought my car Tiago xz from KHT. It was much better experience than Maruti and even Hyundai to some extent. What an awesome car it is. Never thought of buying Tata hatchback but Tiago is best in the class. Tata needs to improve service center experience and they really seem to be working hard on this.

Congratulations for your nano.

Very good & honest ownership review, i am also using nano from last 11 months & driven it 8k kms & 95% of driving is in city. i am very satisfied with my little champ. Maintenance & service cost of nano is less then that my honda activa [clap] & driving in city traffic is very easy as compare to my other two cars.

I envy on you Mr. Milemuncher !
I have been a Nano fan since its launch in 2009. I became financially fit to afford one in 2011, since I had huge discounts on all trims of Nano that time as I am a TCSer (Tata Group). I was offered a whooping Rs.25000.00 discount on the top end LX (non power steering, AC, front power windows version).
For some reason, owning plan of a Nano was dropped out.

Then later part of 2012 and earlies of 2013, Nano and Alto were in wish list. Nano was my first prio, but for whatsoever reason, my wifey didn't like Nano at all, and said she wouldn't sit in a Nano and rather she would be more comfortable in my then 2005 Splendor Plus bike[cry]
After a few months, in March 2013, we accidentally happened to test drive an EON in a Mela near Avadi by Hyundai and ended up booking an EON 0.8L Blue D Lite + for 3.56 LACS post all discounts. After paying the initial booking amount of Rs. 50k, I noticed my dad's eye gazing at a customer-booked Santro (Sleek Silver). Dad asked me to buy Santro as it's big, and only it's big. I tried convincing him that Santro is not our cup of tea thanks to its lower mileage (FE), additional cost and higher maintenance.
As usual, wifey gave her verdict on Santro and the booking was immediately upgraded to Santro and yes I drive a 5 year old Santro Xing 2013 Petrol GL Plus today having clocked 29.4k in Odo.
Trust me, till today I keep admiring the Nano's that pass-by and I call Nano my "Ex-Love" everytime I and my wife pass by Nano on roads, or a Nano passed by...[lol]

Wishing you many more Happy & Safe miles.

How's the current mileage of an AMT Nano in City with 100% AC ? Is it still the same 13-15 kmpl or has it improved?

Thanks and Regards
Kumar

Top Bottom