Tata Zest XM Revotron: Initial Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Tata Zest Red Colour XM RT July 2016 (Petrol) Initial ownership review
Buying Experience
Before owning Tata Zest we had Maruti Suzuki Zen at home nearly 15 years old car which I had purchased in Nov 2013 to learn driving which was pleasant experienced, car never gives us any problem throughout ownership finally after some time family wanted new car to have for daily family needs.
Option consider before buying Zest
- Tata Tiago
- Tata Bolt
Why only “Tata car” due to VFM offering by them in spite all our well-wishers saying “stay away” from them due to bad sales and services as per them.
A) Have done test drive of Tiago at Wasan motors Chembur , car was fantastic to drive, good suspension, built quality, lots of features etc reasons for not finalizing the same
- There was waiting period around 4-5 weeks even more.
- if we want VFM car then we need to buy top TZ version otherwise not worth the money spend
- We found inside space is suitable for 4 people max
B) Have approached for “ test drive” of Tata Bolt at Bhandup (W) why we approached Bhandup West dealer as Wasan motors at Chembur was reluctant to give test drive of Tata bolt as sales person were saying Tata Bolt is gone for commercial market so do not buy same, even we had told them we do not have any issue even if car goes to commercial market infect, we are happy we will never face any spare part issue in this case but sales person at Wasan motors ,Chembur not give us chance for test drive of bolt and insisting for buy Tata Tiago instead which leads us to go to Bhandup West Tata dealer.
We had called Bhandup West dealer and specifically ask if Tata Bolt ( petrol )car is available with them for test drive which sales person had confirmed, but after reaching there we had found Tata Bolt petrol car battery not working so no test drive can arrange but dealers insist to have test drive of Tata Zest which is similar to Bolt, we had test drove Tata Zest Petrol car which we found our liking in all aspect except budget as Tata Bolt had offer around Rs 30,000 cash discount + Insurance for free as etc.
Even though Tata Bolt XE Model fall in our budget basket still there was shot comings as follows
1) As we could not see (not even commercial one) Tata Bolt in our city ( Mumbai ) much which specific reason we fear to buy said car.
2) Tata Bolt XE model do not have front power window which we wanted to have but ready ignore the same if got good offer as requirement of car not more than 300 km per month and some highway trips.
3) There was only Rs 30,000 difference between Tata Bolt XE model and Tata Zest XE model as Tata Zest XE model have much more features then Tata Bolt XE including front Power windows, ORVM body colour etc
Finally we had visited Concorde Motors Prabhadvi on 4th June 2016 evening where we met with sales person which gives us good offer on Tata Zest XE model “Red colour” we had paid Rs 25000 as token amount and sales person & Sales Manager told us to pay 50-60% amount to allot the car from Tata Motors to them, which we had not suspect anything in fact we had paid car full amount ( on road price of Tata Zest XE model ) around on 10th June 2016 assuming that we will allot car by them on priority (LOL).
Chasing Time Start I used to called sales person each week to understand when we will allot the car by them / Tata motors after waiting patiently around after 20 days we had received called from Concorde Motors Prabhadevi that “Red Colour” is not available / manufacture from Tata Motors on XE model and instead of that you can take XM model Red colour which is available with them at Panvel Stockyard, we were shocked to hear about same why it was taken 20 days to realisation that Red colour not there in XE model, I do not understand and keep calling sales person to give proper explanation but we had not got any proper explanation, even writing office email to Concorde as well as Concorde CEO on their web site. after writing to Concorde CEO on website of Concorde, we immediately received automated reply that they ( CEO office ) will get you soon but nobody from CEO office had called us[frustration].
Finally after various email exchanges from Concorde Prabhadevi office they had requested us to wait until End of June 2016, Tata Motors will allot the car by that time as per them, we also agreed for same and give another colour option “Beige colour” for XE model.
We had called sales person on 30th June 2016 understand they still not allot the car from Tata Motors, now we are start feeling something fishy here, Concorde Prabhadevi office told us max 1st week of July 2016 we will allot the car, now we had lost faith in this company, still wait for more time on 2nd July have called sales person for update but said person not picking my call, I call him multiple times in 1st half but sales person was not picking by phone intentionally[frustration] now I felt this is high time I need to cancel the booking, I had visited Concorde Prabhadevi showroom for cancellation, where senior person( I do not remember post) somehow convince me to wait next Monday 4th July 2016 by that time car will allot by anyhow or take your Cheque on Tuesday 5th July 2016, I have waited till that time but nothing happened and request them to cancel my booking on Friday and give my money back by that time all my excitement / happiness to buy Tata Zest gone, I was start thinking about new ford figo petrol model, as last option even I write email to Tata Motors customer care email ID with attached payment receipts including Tata Motors facebook page and explain on email itself, guess what nobody from Tata Motors call us [anger] …. That time we have lost all hope.
Now something new happened here they have given huge discount on Tata Zest XM model Red colour which they had in their Panvel Stockyard which VIN number shows manufacture month as Feb 2016 and they informed that car had delivered to them around March 2016 I informed them I need to check car physically at Panvel Stockyard before making any decision, which they had agreed, hence I had visited stockyard on 9th July 2016 and found car in perfect condition I had informed them to start registration of vehicle which they took nearly 8-9 days to register car.

Delivery Day 20th July 2016

Concorde Prabhadevi office had arranged small cake cutting ceremony and overall make happy customer at Delivery Date finally.
Thinks what I like
- Suspension do their job silently can handled Mumbai pot holes without passing to us
- Car have lot of space ….tons of space……..5 people can easily fit.. recently while on shot trip car was accommodate 4 people on back seat
- Chilling AC cannot say more as this is monsoon days in Mumbai yet to experience summer
- Design: Beauty lies with person eye, but every time I park my “Red Zest XM RT” I look her back automatically…..
- Electric power steering which feels very light at parking speed gives comforts and became sufficient heavy at higher speed, excellent job from Tata
- Quality of interior plastic as per my view if feel it is premium in XM model and price I have paid for car.
- Harman Music system is icing on cake.
- Car Colour quality looks premium
- Ground Clearance is very good I had driven car in Mumbai flooded area while heavy raining with no issue
- Mileage : cumulative mileage with mix I got 12.5 kmpl ( Eco mode 70%, City mode 30% with heavy traffic condition)
- Just for experiment from Office to Home ( on Saturday relatively very less traffic ) 17 KM drive I got mileage of 18.4 kmpl (100% Eco mode without AC MID reading ) route Jahangir Art Gallery – Free way – Wadala – Chunabhatti, on same route around 17 km drive I got mileage 19.2 kmpl (100% City mode without AC MID reading ) on Saturday
- I think after run in period and oil change my mileage will improve as initial runs mileage on MID showing 8 kmpl which further improve to 12.5 kmpl
Things which I wish to improve
- Thick A pillar specially driver right side is blind spot, now I am getting used to it, I just slow down on turns.
- Pick up I feel on moving traffic we need to frequent gear change from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 1st as low RPM car will stall only on Eco mode, city and sport mode no issue. ( if I am wrong please correct me) or my driving style require to change not sure is car issue or my driving style.
- Bottle holders useless.

Problem faced so far
- Petrol Smell : from Day 1 I was sense petrol smell not so prominent but you can sense it
- Hand Break: I need to pull hand break very hard to hold the car on slop.
- Feel Gear Slotting was not smooth enough.
- Left Side view mirror became loose but not broken, thanks to Mumbai Autowalas.
- Sensor error: Both back doors sensor not showing car door open.

1st Service done at Concorde Motors Worli on 8th Oct 2016 (ODO 2400 km around )

- Petrol Smell : Service supervisor agree Petrol Smell issue and later find out there was slight leakage in petrol line which they have renew including petrol neck had driven car after that problem not repeat so far I think solved.
- Hand break they have done oiling and tightening the cables as per them and now I can stop the car on slops on slight pulling of Hand-break issued solved.
- Gear, cluch now smooth I think they have done some setting.
- They have changed the sensor but issue not resolve which they have email the issue to Tata Motors once they got any information they will again call and rectify as assure by them we have left with no option to agree with them on this.
- Left side view mirror they have put it strong do not feel it will fall now ( initially I was insisting them to replace only Glass on Mirror but they told I required to buy full Mirror and that need to paint accordingly so charges will be around Rs 2500 – 3000 even more)

How I feel about Service at Concorde Worli
- 1st Service experience was average nothing to complaint.

Apart from above issues (which mostly solved in 1st Service itself except sensor issue) I have not faced any other major issue or car never stop in middle of the road in initial run and we are happy with our purchased and I want to thanks Team BHP and The Atuomative India because of them I was able to make decision on my own.
Driving Style to get maximum mileage and feedback from car as follows as per my experience with car
1st , 2nd and 3rd Gear used as per any normal car but
For 4th Gear
- I am using from 35 km to 70 km speed ( using 4th Gear this as maximum time while driving ) as I feel if I slot 5th gear after 50-55 km speed, feel less power/ pick up ( correct me if I am wrong )

Small but important things which I came to know about Tata Zest

- Being “Turbocharged engine” need to follow 30 sec idling rule, if you want details about this please search this in Team Bhp website.
- After inserting keys in car wait for 1 sec before cracking engine let few blinking light go off.
- If you find reverse gear making noise just before pulling it back hold for 1-2 sec on your side in this case you can avoid slotting noise.

Finally thanks everybody for reading this long post, I will ensure to give all feedback and Tata Zest owning experience.

Welcome to TAI, Triple_Four. Congrats on your Zest and kudos to your 1st post. Wish you plenty of happy miles in your Zest.

30 sec idling rule: I do not follow this. One just needs to be gentle with the Turbo, when it is coming up or cooling off. That's all is needed. By the time I ease my car out of parking lot onto the road and then to the main road, some 30-40 seconds are gone. Once on the road, I go soft on the throttle, till the "Engine Temperature" raises (in the MID). In my Verna, this takes some 2 kms. We can continue to cruise around 25-40 (traffic will not permit beyond this). After this, we can push the turbo (if traffic allows). Likewise, I go easy on the throttle when I know the destination is a minute away. After reaching destination, I generally switch off the engine.

Thread Starter #7
- Mileage Test From Chunabhatti Mumbai to Kankavali ( 480 KM )
- Mileage 18.9 kmpl total 480 KM ( 95% on Eco Mode, 5% on Sport Mode, 70% AC on )
- ( Route from Chunabhatti – Pali Khopoli Road – Kolad – Mangaon – Mahad – Poladpur –Chiplun – Sawarde – Lanja –Rajapur - Kankavali

- Odometer around 4100 km Cumulative Mileage Test for over all trip 1333 km 18.4 kmpl (95% on Eco Mode, 5% on Sport Mode, 70% AC on )

Attachments

- Mileage Test From Chunabhatti Mumbai to Kankavali ( 480 KM )
- Mileage 18.9 kmpl total 480 KM ( 95% on Eco Mode, 5% on Sport Mode, 70% AC on )
- ( Route from Chunabhatti – Pali Khopoli Road – Kolad – Mangaon – Mahad – Poladpur –Chiplun – Sawarde – Lanja –Rajapur - Kankavali
Congrats Shekhar on the purchase its a very nice car and I must say you are really getting a good mileage on that road considering the current road conditions. I also travel on some part of this route Pune - Mangoan - Mandangad - Dapoli I get around 17.7 mileage on eco mode with 100% AC on. Keep up the writing

- Odometer around 4100 km Cumulative Mileage Test for over all trip 1333 km 18.4 kmpl (95% on Eco Mode, 5% on Sport Mode, 70% AC on )
Tata were praising the Revotron Engines. But i am not sure why they are not giving warranty after 40000kms. Hopefully it must lose some customers, since the TATA itself were not believing their engines.

FIAT, Toyota, Honda were giving around 1 Lakh kms warranty. Tata too should think to make the customer believe.

Thread Starter #10
- Mileage Test From Shirdi to Sion - Chunabhatti, Mumbai (250 km )
- Mileage 20.9 kmpl ( 50% on City Mode, 50% on Eco Mode, 80% AC on )
- Current Odo 4900 km ( Engine Oil not yet change, hoping once 1st Engine Oil change mileage will improve further by 1 or 2 km )

Attachments

Last edited:
Wow thats fantastic mileage. So coming from Shirdi to Mumbai means that you were decending the ghats. But still coming to mumbai in traffic time i guess compensates for the fuel saved in the ghats. So it is indeed a very good mileage.

That is great mileage from Revotron engine. Most of my friends having Revotron Zest say that maximum they could get was 15-16 kmpl in highway and 10-13 kmpl in city.

Thread Starter #14
Hi Friends wanted to update regarding “Concorde Motors Worli Mumbai Service Centre” review, my Zest had met with minor accident on 10th Dec 2016 morning hrs, car was driven by my Wife as Alto driver break red signal and dash to my bumper and just ran away after that we had filed police complaint as well thankful to god nobody was hurt.
After the incident we have checked car there was no sign of leakage of oil and coolent etc also there was only damaged of bumper and some grill part which as we could observed basis which we have decided to drive car to Service Centre directly which is “Concorde Worli” before going there I have called customer service of concorde worli just to inform them our arrival but service adviser just refused to accept our damage car over phone as they are already over booked for Saturday and Sunday as we insisted and requested still she was reluctant to accept.
Then instead of going there directly we try to call some other senior persons in Concorde in Worli after repeated attempt I was managed to convinced them to accept by car on same day 10th Dec 2016.
Finally we reached there and our car was taken, all papers etc signed for insurance process to start on 10th Dec 2016 and service supervisor told us it will take min 4-5 days which is quite acceptance to us as Insurance process and parts will take time.
Then on Monday evening I have called service supervisor understand they not even start survey of damages I like to inform that I have taken insurance from “The New India Insurance Company” bumper to bumper zero depression from Concorde Motors itself to avoid any issue or delays even on higher prices then online offers available, only on Tuesday 13th Dec 2016 insurance person have called us and inform us they are going to start survey by today, then on 14th Dec 2016 I have called service adviser who told survey not yet done so keep dragging one more day, after completion of survey it was found only bumper and Grill was damaged at least as per them.
On 16th Dec 2016 I have called service adviser for update who told me Concorde do not have said parts and they are waiting from this from Tata Motors, I have call this person after each 2-3 days but there was no update when parts will be available service person never update me anything just dragging days. After we have sent email to CRM concorde for update we got replied from them they are getting parts on 20th Dec 2016 and they will delivery car by 22nd Dec 2016
Even though on 22nd Dec we do not receive any call from them basis which we again shoot email and they replied that car is ready for delivery
After reaching there we found following
1) We can found paint stains all over car [cry]
2) We have to pay Rs 3500 ( for application for insurance and some other small thing ) which they had informed earlier as well which are ok with us.
3) At the time of handing over car to them we had inform there was difficulties for slotting 1st gear and some hard clutch issued which nobody have address to Mechanic [lol]which we have requested mechanic to do which he promptly done also we have requested to update the latest software.
4) Door Sensor issue not resolved even after second visit to Concorde Motors .
Service supervisor asked us to give feedback of service which we had refused to give as all in Concorde Motors just behind 10/10 ranking, all Mechanic roaming here and there with Laptop, supervisor never pick up phones you require to call them 2-3 times for feedback, everyone is so busy in service centre except car owners .
Also understand from Concorde Supervisor that “Sir, it is very difficult to get parts of Tata Zest” [surprise]which cannot believe
Overall we are not at all happy with service of Concorde Worli Service Centre, any other owners of Tata cars in Mumbai in this forma to please suggest good service or at least average service centre of Tata Motors in Mumbai and explain their experience with them.

Last edited:

Top Bottom