RX Madness Continues: Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
I'm back with another Yamaha RX thread, but this time not a complete restoration.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

RX craziness and madness started way back in my school days, but till 2010 I wasn't lucky enough to own one. But once I got a chance, I started living my dream. From 2010 I'm a proud owner of Yamaha RX(s)

1994 RX100 (Sold)
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/3600-yamaha-rx100-short-term-ownership-review.html

1998 RX135 4s
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/16262-1998-yamaha-rx135-restoration-completed.html

Before Restoration

After Restoration

Current Avatar

1997 RXG
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/15403-got-another-rx-yamaha-rxg-restoration.html

Before Restoration

After Restoration

1998 RX135 4s (Sold)
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/18496-omg-3rd-rx-home-1998-yamaha-rx135-4s-restoration-completed.html

Before Restoration

After Restoration

Thread Starter #2
Re: RX madness continues - Yamaha RX135 5 Speed Ownership Review

A little background behind this purchase
I had 98 RX135 4s and 97 RXG in hand and purchased another 98 RX135 4s without a proper intention. Later I decided to convert one of the 4 speed gearbox to 5 speed and started restoring the latest acquisition. Bike is completely restored to stock 4 speed spec except for the 5 speed sticker theme but I couldn't get a 5s GB or conversion kit. One fine day I came across an ad for used 5s GB. After few chats and calls seller shred the snaps of GB and promised it is very less used and in pristine condition. Transferred the amount and in a weeks time the piece of metal reached me. To my horror it wasn't an 'used' GB, it is 'abused' one and it is no where close to the one in snaps. Called the seller back and got all those non-sense replies claiming that it is still a good one and what he sent is same as what he clicked. I knew it is of no use and sold the GB after losing few bucks. I decided against 5s conversion and started looking for a stock 5s bike and ended up buying this bike

About the machine
Make : Yamaha
Model : RX135
Variant : 5 speed
Year : 2000
No. of Owners : 2
RC Validity : FC done and valid till 2020
Insurance : Valid till Feb 2017

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

Thread Starter #3

More about the bike

- Bike is said to be completely restored, but I knew it wasn't (Complete restoration in my dictionary sometimes don't match with others )

- RD350 Paint / Sticker theme

- Yamaha Gladiator Alloy wheels + Front disc assembly

- Stock 5s bike
10.jpg
1L7xxxxxx Engine number
11.jpg
4TL10 Block, Running on 3OS piston
12.jpg

- RX135 Tiger Speedo assy & Lock set (Speedo wasn't working due to failed cable)
13.jpg
Speedo mounted with spacers to accommodate the bigger Headlamp
13a.jpg

- Regular side lock is still functional (with another set of keys)
14.jpg

- 3.00 x 18 in Front [surprise]
15.jpg

- 2.75 x 18 in Rear
16.jpg
Almost new
17.jpg

- Stock cat-con silencer replaced with Chrome silencer + Fully open RX100 core
18.jpg

- Pillion holder with luggage carrier (from an 1986 RX100, as per the seller)
19.jpg

- Endurance Rear shocks
20.jpg

- Rajdoot mudflap in rear
21.jpg

- Yezdi / RD350 replica headlamp
22.JPG

- Custom made brackets for front reg plate
23.jpg

- Damaged 2T Oil hose (Currently running on pre-mix)
24.jpg

- Missing rear foot rest rubber
25.jpg

Thread Starter #4

Quick Review

08.JPG

09.JPG

Completed close to 500km in last 5 days [:D] with below observations

Cold Start:
Cold start requires choke and a couple of kicks. On day 2 I tried starting without choke and I was successful only after 10 kicks. I knew this is quite normal, but just FYI

Engine & Transmission:
As per the previous owner he covered 1.5k km after restoration, I hope the run-in should be good. Engine is healthy with no abnormal noise. But I miss the initial acceleration (I doubt the carb tuning) Once she hits the power band, that's a different story altogether. With a higher final drive ratio city driving is effortless.

Braking:
Front disc brake does the job pretty well but the bite isn't that inspiring (at least when compared with my other RX with Pulsar disc setup) Rear brake is nearing the end of life but never let me down in last 500km.

Ride & Handling:
I must accept the ride is pretty balanced with Gladiator forks in front and Endurance shocks in rear. Rear end is softer than all my other bikes. With wider front tire cornering is good but on the other hand steering effort is higher.

Seating:
Old seat foam wrapped with new cover. Neither hard nor too soft

Electricals:
All electricals working except the turn & High beam indicators on speedo console. Maintenance free 2.5LB does the duty pretty well.

Fuel Efficiency:
36kmpl average with a lot of spirited driving & traffic. I will post the detailed FE against different conditions later

Thread Starter #5

Craziness for RX is never ending and almost each of us wanted one, at least. This smoking noisy machine holds a special place in my heart always.

Higher overall drive ratio
3rd gear cruising is possible in normal city traffic (at least the one I'm travelling)

Ride Comfort
Comparatively this bike is softer than all my other RX. For solo riding I feel very much comfortable with the existing setup and yet to check the comfort level with a pillion.

Dislikes:
Exhaust Beat -Specific to this bike
I love the exhaust note of RX and I'm a die hard fan for the same. But this particular bike spoils the fun. Fully open RX100 core creates much of noise than beat.

Alloy Wheels
Somehow the spokes wheel maintains the character of RX. Though the looks are subjective I still love the spokes wheel than alloy wheels

Initial Acceleration
I'm not satisfied with the current level of acceleration. I doubt the carb tuning and let me update once tuning is done.

Wider Front Tire
Looks little awkward and steering is heavier.

Narrow Rear Tire
Stock spec of RX135 5s is 3.00 x 18 and this bike came with 2.75 x 18. All my other RX are with 3.00 x 18 profile at rear. Though 2.75 is sufficient for this bike, 3.00 gives more confidence at cornering and braking.

Future Upgrades & Modifications:
Phase 1:
- Carb cleaning & Tuning
- Replace 2T oil hoses & check the pump condition
- Front brake pads and rear shoe replace
- *Optional* Replace the tank & shield from my other RX (Blue Color with RXZ sticker theme)
- Replace the current speedo assembly with stock speedo + tacho (from RXZ)
- Headlamp reflector swap from Ambassador (Hella) Current beam throw is not satisfactory
- RD350 Handle bar
- Minda Twin horns

Phase 2:
- Spokes Wheel <-- Alloy wheel
- Better Rubbers, 2.75 x 18 in Front & 3.00 x 17 or 3.25 x 16 in rear
- Cat-con silencer <-- Chrome silencer

Phase 3:
- Tank & Shield swap with OE 5 Speed black paint & Sticker theme.
- HL swap to match the looks

Thread Starter #6

07.JPG

Thanks everyone for spending your time. All your comments & suggestions are welcome. I will keep this thread updated whenever possible.
Cheers [:)]

Thread Starter #13
Replaced the stock carb with VM24 and the performance difference is significant (I wish I should have done this much earlier)

20170108_100916.jpg

Thread Starter #14
Quick update:
- Removed the Cat-con for Painting / powder coating (yet to handover to painter, only God knows when he will give it back)
- Got a used RX100 silencer and fitted. My goodness, the beat doesn't disappoint me.
- FE with VM24 is very much decent and more than expected

Sedate Driving (50~60 kmph) delivers 41.3kmpl
Odo reading during reserve before Tank fill : 1308
Qty filled : 5.69 Liters (400 INR, 70.33INR/Lit)
Odo reading at reserve : 1543
Mileage : 235km

Mad Driving (rip-off, 80kmph+) delivers 28.2kmpl
Odo reading during reserve before Tank fill : 1279.8
Qty filled : 1 Liter
Odo reading at reserve : 1308.0
Mileage : 28.2km

New look, after removing the cat-con

20170124_175743.jpg

Top Bottom