My Berry Devil: Tata Tiago XZ Diesel Ownership Review (5th Service Update)

Thread Starter #1
"My Berry Devil"

Disclaimer: I have nearly no technical knowledge in cars, and I am not expert. These are my personal views, no offence to owners/anyone. Apologise for my writing skills and picture quality. Being a 17 year old boy, request you to bear with my limited knowledge.

Introduction

We already own Tata Manza and was impressed the acres of space it offered, awesome ride quality and engine too. First one year of ownership was a bitter experience for us, though we moved on and now its our fifth year of ownership. It was not completely trouble-free car but the positives were more than the negative.
My sister needed a car for her daily college runs, she needed a small car for this, thanks to Mumbai traffic. So our requirements for new car were :
  • Hatchback/Compact Sedan
  • Good Diesel/Petrol Engine
  • Good NVH
  • ABS and dual Airbags (more airbags always preferred)
  • Most important good Structural Strength
Cars Shortlisted

Hyundai Grand i10
I test drove petrol engine, it was good enough.
Reason for rejection - Build Quality

Positives
  • Refined 4-cylinder Engine
  • Good space and boot space
  • Tech loaded
Negatives
  • H.A.S.S experience was let down for me
  • Build Quality
Ford Ecosport
Test drove petrol 1.5 litre engine (both manual and automatic)
Reason for rejection - Price, pathetic automatic gearbox and heavy clutch

Positives
  • Build Quality
  • Good Driver view (high seating option)
Negatives
  • Noisy engine
  • Pathetic automatic
  • Heavy clutch
  • Found it Pricey
Ford Figo
Test drove Diesel 1.5 engine
Reason for rejection - Its a great car, but I needed a car with small footprints for my sister.

Positives
  • It has to be engine
  • 6-airbags
  • Found interior to be premium
Negatives
  • Rear non-adjustable headrests
Maruti Cars
Contacted four dealers, none bothered to even send me the pricelist for Celerio, Swift, Vitara Brezza forget test drive.
Reason for rejection - Sales Team and build quality

Positives
  • Re-sale Value
  • Petrol engines
  • Mileage - 'kitna deti hai?'
Negatives
  • Build Quality
  • Sales Team
VW Polo GT TSI
Reason for rejection - Price Tag

Positives
  • Fantastic Automatic Gearbox
  • Handling
  • Build Quality (4-star NCAP ratings)
Negatives
  • Price Tag
  • Unreliable gearbox
  • Heavy maintenance bills
Tata Bolt
Test drove Petrol- 1.2 Revotron
Reason for rejection - Rattlings in the car and Dealer's behaviour

Positives
  • Feature Loaded
  • Ride and Handling
  • Build Quality
  • Active Return Steering
Negatives
  • Small Boot
  • Rattlings
Now comes the game changer. I am an AutoNut, always try to keep myself updated to the changing environment of Automobiles. I knew Tata Tiago was going to launch so kept an eye on it.

Tata Tiago
We already had a soft corner and respect for our Indian Brand.
Test drove four times from same dealership. Once before launch and three after it launch.
Reason for buying - Build Quality, Premium feeling it offered at affordable price tag

Positives
  • Both Engines- I found both engines good
  • Build Quality
  • Ride quality
  • Harman ICE
  • Tech Loaded
Negatives
  • Petrol engine vibrations
  • Rear headrests are puny
Booking

My sister's monthly running in around 1100 km. Many suggested me to book petrol. But the fun factor behind driving diesel Tiago was Fantastico. So we went ahead and booked Diesel Tiago. Now comes the colour option to choose from, I wanted Berry Red and had passed in influencing parents and sister. So we booked the Tiago XZ diesel in Berry Red on 25th July, 2016 from Deogiri Auto by paying 10,000 INR. The SA just made the deal by giving me 5,000 INR accessories as freebies, delivery within 4 weeks and matching the amount of insurance.
But it didn't went as planned, delivery was delayed and price hiked. I had contacted TML via phone call and FB and I must admit they were so quick. After 6 weeks from booking date, the car was allotted to me and the chassis number and engine number was shared with me, it was August 2016 manufactured. The manager now was ready to give more 1,000 INR accessories as freebies as an compensation for the delay.
Special mention of my SA, Nadeem Javeri. He is gem of the person, offered me four test drives even after me mentioning that I am not sure whether I will book or not. He wan in constant touch with me and updated each day about the status of my machine.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: My Red Devil: Tata Tiago Diesel XZ

PDI - Pre-Delivery Inspection​

I had told Nadeem Bro that I will not pay a single penny before PDI, to which he agreed. Their stockyard was located in Vashi, and had completed PDI on 22th September,2016.
I downloaded the PDI Checklist and went ahead to inspect my red beauty.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5 =PDI- ODO.jpg

Decode - 10th alphabet represents year (in this case its 2016) and 12th alphabet represents month (in this case it is August)​
6 =VIN.jpg

Noticed the Gap
7=PDI - Right Rear light gap.jpg

Close-up of the Gap
8=REar Right light closeup.jpg

Other View of the gap​
9=OTher View.jpg

Glovebox misaligned
10=PDI - Glovebox misaligned.jpg

Parting Shot​
11=Parting Shot.jpg

Issues reported :-
  • Rear Right Backlight gap
  • Glovebox Misaligned

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Registration Process

So RTO guys raised enquiry two times because I do not live in the residence where I wanted to register to save 30,000 INR. The dealer kept on trying and in the third round we got the clearance. In short it took RTO 16 days for giving me Registration Number.
Till then my SA, Nadeem Bro had resigned, so I was in direct contact with the Sales Manager, Sanjay Sir.

Delivery

After we got the registration number, the dealer took a day to bring the car and fix the issues as reported during PDI. The dealer was ready to give delivery on 15-Oct-2016, but that being Saturday we could not take the delivery (We don't buy any metal on Saturdays), but we completed all the paperwork on Saturday. It was first time that Dad was seeing the RED Beauty, Sanjay Sir had fitted all the accessories I had requested him.
The paperwork was smooth and quick enough. They gave me a file for the documents, which was a neat touch. Had enquired about the Gold AMC booklet, I knew because had taken AMC for Manza too. The Service Head said that they are yet to receive the AMC booklet for Tiago, though confirmed with them that its showing the AMC details at their end (online portal).
SO eventually I took the delivery on 16-Oct-2016, and was out with the car after the celebration from the dealer side (which was amazing) in flat 15 mins at max. They had done wonderful job of decorating the car. At time of delivery I noticed a deep scratch on bonnet and paint chip of near the Right Rear Taillight, the dealer assured me that they will correct it during First Service free of cost (I have a written record). They corrected the Rear Tail-lamp alignment but according to them there is no alignment issue in glove-box .After delivery went straight to the Petrol Pump which was nearby, filled it full, but as the petrol pump was not mine trusted one they gave me a bill on 37 litres of Diesel, whereas Tiago's fuel capacity is only 35 litres and Vimleesh Bro (other SA) had told that they have filled 200 INR diesel already. But was excited enough and did not wanted to spoil my mood so forgot it.

IMG_20161016_132729726.jpg

IMG_20161016_134525156.jpg

IMG_20161016_134532809.jpg

Noticed The Follow-Me Headlamps/Approach Lights
IMG-20161017-WA0003.jpg

OTR :-

Ex showroom : 5,74,913
Insurance : 18,175
Extended Warranty (2+2 or 1,00,000 km) : 7,131
Gold AMC (2years or 30,000 km) : 15,294
On road : 6,86,953.

Freebies :-

• Door Visors
  • Side body Mouldings
  • Bumper protectors
  • Mud flaps
  • Floor mats
Have just parked the car after the delivery, so will update you TAIgers asap.

Thank you guys for reading my Ownership Review.

Last edited:
Re: My Berry Devil: Tata Tiago XZ Diesel Ownership Review

Well written kiddo [;)]. Share more on the diesel engine and drive-ability of your berry devil as you clock the ODO. Wishing your family millions of happy miles driving it.

Thread Starter #6

Hi,
Congratulations on your new TATA Tiago. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Thank you Sir.

Well written kiddo [;)]. Share more on the diesel engine and drive-ability of your berry devil as you clock the ODO. Wishing your family millions of happy miles driving it.
Thanks Bro
Sure will be going to visit Temple on Friday will update asap.

Congrats gautam and your family for the red tiago, looks stunning in this color, enjoy your ride.

By the way, nicely written thread

Regards

Vinod

Thread Starter #9

Congratulation,wish you and your sister happy ownership ahead.
Thank you Sir.

Congrats gautam and your family for the red tiago, looks stunning in this color, enjoy your ride.

By the way, nicely written thread

Regards

Vinod
Thank you Sir. To be honest I like Tiago in every colour.
Striker Blue too looks great on Tiago

The car looks amazing. Wish you happy miles with her. It would have been on top of my list had they provided AMT on Tiago.

Congrats to gautam and family for the new car. It looks amazing in this color.it has the right amount of black and red colour making it look smashing

Thread Starter #12
The car looks amazing. Wish you happy miles with her. It would have been on top of my list had they provided AMT on Tiago.
Thank you Sir. Yeah I too wanted to wait for AMT and Kite5 but TATA delay influenced us to buy Tiago.

Congrats to gautam and family for the new car. It looks amazing in this color.it has the right amount of black and red colour making it look smashing
Thank you Sir. Also TATA OEM accessories have been designed to be functional and at the same times do not look like a sore thumb on car.

So on the fourth day after delivery, thought of giving the DEVIL a wash.

IMG_20161020_162755817_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161020_162803308_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161020_162812706_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161020_162825328_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161020_162839717_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161020_162833395_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161020_162846021_HDR.jpg

Also while reversing, the ICE tells when to stop. But still after showing 'STOP', I feel there is a quiet lot of distance back. Pics attached below.

IMG_20161020_164215651_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161020_164222655_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Congrats on a good looking car. This car looks so modern and with not so familiar Tata looks which is a plus.

Please keep updating the thread for everyone to understand if Tata managed the real turn around on the ground with improved ownership experience which is the only thing that matters.

If so, Tiago can be another KWID in the making.

Top Bottom