My Mahindra Bolero ZLX 2523 CC Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
I am a newbie here, and kindly cope with my amatuer Skills in writing an ownership review.

The Back Ground:

Bolero has been my dream since college days, and I was literally dreaming about the same day in and day out for the last ten years or so. My first car was an Alto K10 2014 model which I used for 35000 Kilometers and two years. I should say that it is a gem of a machine. The only issues I faced with the car was two punctures over a period of two years. I would not have parted with it if I had one more parking in my apartment and a little higher salary for managing two vehicles [:D].

Coming to the Bolero:

I was planning to acquire a Bolero in March 2016, then came a rumour that Bolero Sub 4 Meter is on its way. So I decided to wait. But since my father had already transferred the required money for the new bolero, the impatient me got up a fine morning in July and straightaway booked the Bolero. Now that the New Bolero Power Plus has come, I personally feel that 2.5 Litre Bolero will score over 1.5 Litre Bolero in the long term. I remember big vibrations in the gearstick of the TUV 300 I test drove an year back. Further I have not seen anyone claiming 15KMPL or more in TUV in any of the online forums. Let me not be prejudicial, this is my personal opinion.

Booking Experience:

Since I had to sell my existing car, I posted it in OLX, where mostly only dealers contacted me with offer of rock bottom prices. Many where apprehensive whether my vehicle was affected in Chennai Floods last year. Then I contacted Maruti Truevalue, where also the offer was not good. As a last resort I went to First Choice (Mahindra Dealer - Zulaikha Motors, Velachery, Chennai). They offered a good price with Extra Exchange Bonus. Thus I got a decent price. Lesson Learnt: It is always better to exchange the car with the company from whom you propose to buy the new car.

Delivery Experience:

The waiting period after booking was three weeks.White Bolero was readily available, but my mistress suggested rocky beige. Thus, booked a rocky beige. I visited them some four times in between. I should praise their hospitality and courtesy. The vehicle was delivered on August 3rd. Since my family was not in town, I went with a friend of mine. Since it was a busy day, I had to wait for almost two hours for receiving the keys.

Ownership Experience at 3000 Kilometers

As I am writing this thread, I have completed 3000 Kilometers on Odo (including 900 Kilometers already run upon delivery). I should say that the vehicle is rock solid. I went to Yelagiri Hills soon after the delivery and then took the vehicle to God’s Own Country. The vehicle is currently in my hometown in Palakkad, Kerala. To sum up, I did a Round trip of 500 Kilometers to Yelagiri and a one side trip of 600 Kilometers to Kerala, apart from many local trips, totaling 3000 Kilometers till date.

Positives Till Date:

1. Excellent Mileage: In city I am getting around 13 Kmpl. In highway, whenever I maintain a constant speed of 85-90 KMPH, the Driver Information System displays a mileage of 16.5 to 17 KMPL. At one point, it was constantly displaying mileage of above 18 KMPL as I maintained a steady speed of 65-70 KMPH (In the six lane road to Coimbatore while coming from Salem). This mileage is almost comparable to good old Alto K10. I am yet to do a tank to tank analysis of mileage.
2. The vehicle is rock solid I must say. I had the opportunity to take the Bolero to our rubber estate where roads are namesake. The vehicle simply climbs steep inclines in Second gear with five people on board. It is an amazing experience. My father normally walks up the stretch after parking his Verito in the foot hill.

Negatives Till Date:

1. From the day one, the vehicle was giving me a very bumpy ride, and I was unlucky enough to face my wife’s ire for the choice I made. In the mean time I casually checked the Air pressure and was shocked to see that the pressure was maintained at 55-59 PSI in each of the tyres. The label on the vehicle suggests only 30 PSI. I reduced the pressure to 35 PSI, and there is visible change in ride quality thereafter. I am left wondering why the factory did fill up almost double of the recommended air pressure.
2. The latch of the rear door and the left front door are very tight. My wife finds it very difficult to open the door on her own.
3. Two of the nuts and bolts are already missing. Since it is minor issue, I will be taking it up only in the first service due within few weeks.
4. The Pickup factor: I will not claim it to be a negative factor, but at times, overtaking has to be very carefully planned to avoid near miss. On the highway, when all other cars overtake the Bolero, one must ‘Feel Like God’ (Remember the avenger ad), and proudly say ‘not interested in rat race’.

One observation in this regard, my Alto K10 used to take me home from Chennai (562 Kilometers to be precise) in around 8 hours. The bolero did the same job in around 9 hours. The maximum speed I took was 90 KMPH which I intend to practice in future also. Constant Speed ensures a relaxed body and mind, lesser road rage, more mileage and what not? I had my own share of near miss accidents when I used to drive Alto K10 at terrible speeds. Lessons learnt will never be forgotten.

Accessories:
1. One Michelin Air Compressor for Rs. 3300/- . This fills up air with decent speeds using the 12V charging port of the vehicle.
2. One set Punture kit from Coido Brand.
3. One Rear Spoiler.
4. Front Bumper Guard and Rear Bumper guard was consciously avoided for obvious reasons: Read: Safety of pedestrians and Safety of the Vehicle
Accessories Planned in future: Well Nothing !. Bolero is rugged and minimalistic. We have to live upto that with minimum decorations and accessories.

Here are some pictures of Bolero. Please excuse the limited number of pics. Will come up with more photos within a month. (My Bolero is now in my wife's custody in Kerala and I am in Chennai)

Thank You for your patient reading,

Chennai_Wanderer

Attachments

Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com dear Chennai_Wanderer,
Congrats for your new ZLX, it's been very long since our forum saw the Bolero ownership reviews, nice choice of color as well.

I was contemplating of buying the power+ ZLX (not in the near future), anyways your thread will help me to consider if we got to buy same as yours or the power+.

Please update thread regularly, the vehicle looks very good in this stock condition itself.

Happy motoring.

Congrats on your new buy CW. Nice choice of color by your wife. Your ride looks butch and continue posting more photos and please update your travels in travelogue section. Put in more information about handling and bolero being a rugged vehicle looks good when dirty, post more photos of your estate ride.

bhvm

Honoured Member
congrats on the beast cw.
the color choice is exiting. usually I see only white boleros. is your engine 1.5 or 2.5.?
yes the 1.5 engine is underpowered, unrefined and quite new contender.

congrats on the beast cw.
the color choice is exiting. usually I see only white boleros. is your engine 1.5 or 2.5.?
yes the 1.5 engine is underpowered, unrefined and quite new contender.
1.5L in a Bolero is a joke! If the weight remains same, then I don't understand what M&M trying to do with this!

bhvm

Honoured Member
I guess it's actually the mindless banning by government to blame. Mahindra doesn't want to get caught out by sudden & stupid bans on it's bread and butter vehicles, hence they're doing Long term research on 1.5L using customer feedback.

Thread Starter #11
Friends, Mine is a 2.5 Litre Bolero. I had test driven the 1.5 L Bolero recently, unlike my prejudices, the vehicles is good enough. But, the same 1.5 L in TUV had huge vibrations on the gear lever. I think we have to wait and watch for the performance of Bolero 1.5L.

Fabulous SUV CW!Wonder how you convinced the missus ! The vehicle is rugged and meant for conditions which mean business. All the best and please update frequently your thread so that this rare ride is kept alive in our dreams !

Hi Chennai Wanderer. How the Bolero doing? Plan to buy one . Good to know there are other Jeep addicts who but the Bolerp even today

Hi Chennai Wanderer. How the Bolero doing? Plan to buy one . Good to know there are other Jeep addicts who but the Bolerp even today
There are Jeep addicts everywhere but in very little numbers that's all, I'd anyday like to own Bolero as it's a simple crude machine which serves the purpose well, it's like please all excite none, but it definitely excites the ones who prefers a boxy model which is just best enough.

Thread Starter #15
Bolero is doing great sir, Now 14 Months and 27000 kilometers old. In my experience, it is cheap to maintain, takes any load and any road. But its little bumpy and cannot indulge in rat race in highways with all those cities, vernas, i20s and the like which comes in the same price band. Had the opportunity to visit some hilly terrains where these cars can only be airdropped [:)]. Posting a photo for your reference: At Panchalimedu, Idukki District, Kerala, in the middle of a hillock [:)]

Top Bottom