Mitsubishi Outlander: My Pre-owned Humble Beast

Thread Starter #1
The decision making process was done in the following thread - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ing-used-mercedes-benz-c230-cgi-yes-no-2.html
Sincere thanks to everyone who helped.
At first I was going to buy a german car for about 15 lakhs but owing some family issues the budget was suddenly halved. So I went for a reliable Japanese Petrol car, and it is 2010 make year, and registered in 2011 run about 43,800 kms[evil]. The owner had kept it overwhelmingly well maintained. I purchased it for 7,21,000 which seemed like a sweet deal for a 4 wheel drive automatic suv from mitsubishi. Moreover, afaik the car was a CBU so the build quality is incredible and genuine.
First Impressions - The car looks big but is actually quite compact enough for use in bumper to bumper traffic and the engine is a 2.4 MIVEC petrol mated to a 6 speed CVT (continuously variable transmission). At first after reading bad reviews about all the CVT transmissions I was a bit put off honestly but it is honestly not as bad as they say it is and I didn't notice any noticable lag/rubberband effect. Instead it's a whole lot of fun in sport mode and the paddle shifters are a joy to use while the engine revs all the way to 6500 RPM.[clap]
The good -
1) WHOLE LOT OF GROUND CLEARANCE.
2) Peppy engine with 4 wheel drive.
3) Maintainance free and reliable Jap car.
4) THE ROCKFORD FOSGATE SOUND SYSTEM.
5) Not a common car on the road.
6) Ventilated front seats.
7) Low service costs. about 4000 rs.
8) The HUGE aluminium paddle shifters.[clap]
9) Tyhe split boot opening with a bench.
The not so good -
1) Wafer thin dealer network/service centres.
2) Comparatively less availability of spares.
3) Rear visibility is less due to small rear glass.
4) Beige leather interior gets soiled easily.
If any member might know a reliable Garage/mechanic where I can get my car serviced in/near Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Kindly pm/inform on the thread.
I shall keep updating the thread timely.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Mitsubishi Outlander - My humble beast.

Congratulations Kartik, your Outlander looks muscular in front view. I think you should take it outdoors along with a DSLR for a dedicated photoshoot and share them for us to drool [;)].

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander - My humble beast.

Congratulations Kartik. The Rockford Fosgate sound system in the Outlander simply takes the music experience to a different level.

Hi,
Congratulations on your used Outlander. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
From my point of view, this is really a fantastic deal. Mitsubishi too have a goodwill for their machines in India and all over the world.

Congrats Kartik.
Hope you have a great ownership experience with this beauty.
I missed buying an acquaintance's car. Hesitated to take the plunge due to the indifference shown by Mitsubishi towards its India operations.

I hope your experience is great.

Last edited:
Great buy Kartik, sweet deal I must say, congrats!!! Mitsubishi in my opinion had very nice products on offer, but was a let down due to service network & spares availability. Would love to see more Mitsubishi products on Indian roads.

Cheers!!!

Thread Starter #8
Hey guys, it's been 6 months and the car turned out to be a lemon. The guy tricked me and did not tell that the car had been repaired in a garage for an accident and not in the company workshop. I've spent nearly 50k in repairs and there are still a few niggles here and there. I vow never to go for a used car again. I'm selling this car for petty change now and still am not getting many buyers.
After this is sold, planning to get a spanking new polo gt tsi/tdi. Please help me decide which one. Thank you for all your help.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hey guys, it's been 6 months and the car turned out to be a lemon. The guy tricked me and did not tell that the car had been repaired in a garage for an accident and not in the company workshop. I've spent nearly 50k in repairs and there are still a few niggles here and there. I vow never to go for a used car again. I'm selling this car for petty change now and still am not getting many buyers.
That is where checking the vehicle's history is important. Anyway, what's happened has happened. A used Mitsubishi won't have many buyers until its a Pajero. Sell it off to any mechanic or scrap it off.

After this is sold, planning to get a spanking new polo gt tsi/tdi. Please help me decide which one. Thank you for all your help.
Based on your average monthly running buy the suitable one.

PS: Do open a thread in Car Shopper Section buddy!

Regards

Akash

Hey guys, it's been 6 months and the car turned out to be a lemon. The guy tricked me and did not tell that the car had been repaired in a garage for an accident and not in the company workshop.
It's sad for it to be turned out like this. To what extent was it damaged ? For what all repairs did it cost 50K ? And what problems are you facing now for you to sell it ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
The car had been rammed head first into a lamp post and the passenger airbag blew up and he had it removed, had done all the dent work done, welded up the leaks in oil coolant and under the engine bay. A month ago, I had parked it at home and the next morning I saw a pool of oil. I had it towed to the Mitsubishi workshop where they told me all this and the guy I bought it from didn't claim the insurance for the no claim bonus. he also replaced the bumper and and glued the underbody cladding. I feel conned, the most I can get for it is 3,00,000. I lost 5,00,000. Pretty expensive. Could've easily bought a new car with little loan. Regrets.

I have replaced the oil cooler assembly costing 43,000 + labor and the side mirror which was partially broken for 23,000. I'm selling it because of the measly fuel average of 6-8 plus the regular trips to the workshop which is slowly taking it's toll on me and depresses me to see my car in such a condition.

Thread Starter #13
Hey guys, bumping up the thread after a long time. After almost 2 years of living with the car. Finally decided to exchange it, for the new Swift vxi+. The car fetched a price of about 2,00,000. The rest being financed. Should be good for the daily city runs I believe. Despite having bought it for about 7,00,000 and spending more than a lakh on repairs for the damage done by the previous owner, it was a joy to drive. And now that I've resolved all the issues of the car, the new owner will be one happy person. Thank you for all your help and Inputs. I'll be getting the Swift next week probably, and will put up an ownership review soon. Cheers!

Hey guys, bumping up the thread after a long time. After almost 2 years of living with the car. Finally decided to exchange it, for the new Swift vxi+. The car fetched a price of about 2,00,000. The rest being financed. Should be good for the daily city runs I believe. Despite having bought it for about 7,00,000 and spending more than a lakh on repairs for the damage done by the previous owner, it was a joy to drive. And now that I've resolved all the issues of the car, the new owner will be one happy person. Thank you for all your help and Inputs. I'll be getting the Swift next week probably, and will put up an ownership review soon. Cheers!
You sold for just 2 Lakhs. Driving an SUV and switching to Swift is a gamble.
No one in my native giving such a maintained car for low prices :)

bhvm

Honoured Member
Whoa. I am late to the thread and its a shocker to read this.
2L is way too cheap even if the care is accidental. Guess. we should stop running salt in wounds. You have cut your losses and you're a happy man. Its good that the short flirt ended sooner than later.

What kind is niggles are remaining?
The car had been rammed head first into a lamp post and the passenger airbag blew up and he had it removed, had done all the dent work done, welded up the leaks in oil coolant and under the engine bay. A month ago, I had parked it at home and the next morning I saw a pool of oil. I had it towed to the Mitsubishi workshop where they told me all this and the guy I bought it from didn't claim the insurance for the no claim bonus. he also replaced the bumper and and glued the underbody cladding. I feel conned, the most I can get for it is 3,00,000. I lost 5,00,000. Pretty expensive. Could've easily bought a new car with little loan. Regrets.

I have replaced the oil cooler assembly costing 43,000 + labor and the side mirror which was partially broken for 23,000. I'm selling it because of the measly fuel average of 6-8 plus the regular trips to the workshop which is slowly taking it's toll on me and depresses me to see my car in such a condition.
1. Shouldnt airbag light come on if airbag is removed? or did he cut the wire to airbag warning? In that case, one should check if airbag indicator comes in briefly for self check and goes off. If it never comes in, wire is removed.

2. This kind of FE was expected from large and heavy PETROL SUV. And with the current government happy to raise the fuel prices to insane levels (I see 100Rs/lit coming soon), this should've been given grave thought beforehand. Thats the reason Mitsus never sold well in India.

3. Side mirror for 23K. So that's right at fortuner Level of Maintenance. One thing that keeps me away from Premium japs and Gernams. Prices are quite LOOT.

You sold for just 2 Lakhs. Driving an SUV and switching to Swift is a gamble.
No one in my native giving such a maintained car for low prices :)
Agreed.
Big stonking SUV to Swift. There is no luxury in Swift nor stance. And not to mention complete lack of Safety.
If you had to move on to a more sane car, Why not look at Safari or Scorpio?
Or ATLEAST at nexon if you wanted something smaller?

Top Bottom