1992 Kinetic Honda DX Revamp: A Slow Story

Thread Starter #1
Hello
I am now pursuing a cosmetic but major stock restoration of my 1992 kinetic Honda DX. This scooter was purchased by my father in 1992 from M/S Century Connections. He used it very rarely for about six years only. I was using it during weekends since 1992 when I visited my home in Trivandrum. Since 2003 the usage dwindled and got limited to less than about 500 Km per year. Till date the scooter has covered less than 37K Kms. The engine is untouched I believe, and no major works had been done on this scooter till date. The scooter developed a rough engine sound maybe around 2002 and some half bearing ( I'm not sure)or so was replaced in this scooter. The scooter has completed two fitness tests from motor vehicles department and the next test is around October 2017.

Based on the minimal DIY experience of a simple cosmetic revamp of an LML vespa Select II, I started it myself as a painting redo. I was reading multiple forums and decided to post my experience here. I joined TAI, since I have read quality Kinetic Honda stuffs here, and many may be perhaps able to guide me. Please excuse if I am late in posting, since I am doing this in my free time and the progress is rather slow. Major works have already been completed while I started this project back in Dec 2016.

A little history about the scooter
As posted above, my father bought it new but I was the single major user from day one. Since I was away from home it has only covered 37K Kms and its still having its OE bando drive belt.
I had some affection to this one because it was a fantastic scooter and my father had purchased it. Also as it would go cheap, I decided to retain it . I started to buy some parts for the scooter as early as 2007 from Coimbatore, Trivandrum etc.. Around 2009, my father asked me to sell it but I refrained. He asked me to change it to my name and I did it in 2010. He expired in 2011 and the scooter was lying idle in my home garage. Once every month I would go there and start it and use it for one or two days. Nothing was done on the scooter and I would entrust an agent for RTO MVD fitness test.
After 2015, the scooter would start and engine would turn off ,the exhaust was choked by some insect nest. Every time I would have to clean the plug and idle it for long to get it moving. The battery was exhausted since long and the absence of choke made matters worse( Kiho has autobystarter which works only with battery. All electrics were not working.
As I am in paucity of time at my home town, I finally took it to my place of work 350 Kms away by train in December 2016. This would be a just a photo compilation of the works undertaken. The restoration period is already nine months .(not yet complete and i expect it to complete it by December 2017)I collected some parts during the past nine years; i have lost track of the amount spent.

The photograph of the scooter now is given below. Just below that is the photo of the scooter while purchased new, 24 years back

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: 1992 Kinetic Honda Dx revamp - A slow story

The works which have been done are
1. Full dismantling of all scooter parts and chassis
2. Full painting of metal parts/plastic in original colour. Chassis painting also done. Black plastic parts are not painted
3. Powder coating of some parts in black including silencer, crank case cover etc
4. Silencer decarbonisation (entrusted to outside garage)
5. 2 new tyres and battery
6. All light assembly changed to new one except rear combo brake light assembly
7. New key switch assembly
8. Repair of fuel float indicator
9. Repair of fuel gauge
10. Change of clutch ( entrusted a garage)
11. Change of cone set ( used services of a garage to remove and install new cone)
12. Change of rear swing bushes (Silent block ? entrusted a garage )
13. Chrome plating the OE grill sets
14. All nuts and bolts, brake cams zinc passivation except for those where new was sourced
15. New number plates
16. New switch assembly and brake lever sets, handle covers
17. All cables sets replaced with new
18. New Front wheel bearings
19. New Ignition resistor and spark plug
20. New Brake shoes
21. New rear foot pegs
22. New Crank cover breather hose
23. Some minor gas welding
24. Oil change

The only work left out is the replacement of rear transmission breather hose as I do not wish to open it right now. I have that rubber hose new with me.

Thread Starter #3
I started the work with the few tools I had (Photo courtesy deville). This is the OE tool which is very useful
2014-09-19 10-04-26.jpg

I had some basic tools
Tools.JPG

I bought a socket wrench socket later as the work progressed.
WP_20160213_001.jpg

The T spanners were also purchased as they seldom damage the hex heads.
WP_20160304_001.jpg

I had to fabricate an oversize spanner to remove/install the front fork nuts
DSC_0394.JPG

Thread Starter #4
For painting I had to remove all parts, which is relatively easy. Since I wanted to paint the front mudguard, i had to remove the fork. I knew removal would be easy but was a bit apprehensive about my capability to fit it back. I didn't entrust any garage for the complete work because no mechanic would really do a complete disassembly and paint. I did not intend to paint the chassis as i believed it to be intact.
Some snaps of disassembly is given below.

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thread Starter #6
BHVM
Thankyou for the suggestion . I have lately interacted with deville .I have also read their forums and posts multiple times.

I will defenitely seek help and clear doubts once some progress is made. The progress is poor but its mainly due to paucity of time. I am yet to post the details of work already done.

My intention to post the logs is to get tips and maybe motivate others to restore.

Thread Starter #7
The work continues.....

first.jpg

The fork was removed to remove the front mudguard for painting. The steering cones were pitted and in poor condition.

second.jpg

third.jpg

My efforts to remove the old one cone were not successful. The neighborhood mechanic was reluctant to come to my place to replace the cone. The difficulty increased as I have to take the chassis to the neighborhood garage. The work was no longer a DIY as proposed, but there was no way out to ensure quality work.

Once the major parts were removed, contrary to the earlier decision, I understood that the chassis also needs painting.

twelve.jpg

Thread Starter #8
The work continues.....

Painting the chassis meant, the engine has to be removed from the chassis. Removal is easy and possible (with WD 40 [:)] ), but to fit it back, I was skeptical. However I went ahead after much contemplation. At last the engine was also removed and the chassis was free.

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

fifteen.jpg

sixth.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
The work continues …..

The engine hanger rubber bushes in the engine were worn off, and needed replacement. I couldn’t replace it by myself.

101.jpg

102.jpg

With the new engine hanger bush
105.jpg

Besides one hex head bolt of crank case cover was damaged and I couldn’t remove the crank case cover. I needed to remove the crankcase cover for powder coating it. So now I took the engine to a mechanic. He installed the rubber bush and removed the crank case cover. He also installed the shock absorber rear under rubber bush in engine.

103.jpg

104.jpg

Meanwhile while removing the crank case cover; the mechanic had removed the kick shaft also instead of kicker lever alone. Kick shaft assembly is cumbersome for a novice. That meant while assembling the crank case cover I have to install the kick shaft also. This was reason enough for another weird escapade which I would divulge down the line. I took either the chassis and engine merrily to quite a few places for work on it.[drive]

The new cones installed

106.jpg

The crank cover and the kick shaft removed
107.jpg
108.jpg

The OE Bando final drive belt will last atleast till 50K kms
109.JPG

Thread Starter #11
The work continues …..

Now comes the powder coating part.

DSC_0101.JPG
DSC_0102.JPG
DSC_0104.JPG
DSC_0105.JPG

The heat shield on the exhaust could not be removed as the screws were stuck. Once again I contacted neighborhood mechanic to remove the shield and to do decarb. He split it open and cleaned it and welded it back. Instead of painting it I opted to powder coat it. I had an earlier experience of powder coating an LML vespa exhaust and it still holds good though it has covers only less than 200 km yearly.

I must admit that I washed the inside thoroughly with caustic soda prior to decarb as suggested in some sites. I regret doing that.:stupid:

DSC_0106.JPG
DSC_0112.JPG
DSC_0117.JPG
DSC_0120.JPG
DSC_0126.JPG
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0135.JPG

All the items were given for powder coating and they returned it in five days.

Thread Starter #13
Congrats @Panache, on your KiHo restoration, this was a real stonker when it was launched, I am interested to know the cost breakup for the Powder coating, and its advantages, over regular spray painting.

I also restored my 1982 Bajaj Super, the story below:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/nostalgic-era/24056-restored-my-bajaj-super-82-a.html
This scooter had never given me any troubles and the pickup was astonishing. The seat is very comfortable. The only problem is the low ground clearance.

The entire cost for powder coating was below Rs 500/-. However they damaged my front number plate. They thought the bend in the front number plate was a fault and they corrected it pathetically.[frustration]
I bought another one from scrap market, Pattalam Thrissur.

I am also having an LML in which the exhaust was powder coated two years back. The usage is less, it still holds good and I presume it may last longer than painting. However for this one it’s already peeling /bubbling off in exhaust. I had earlier soaked in caustic soda and it’s very corrosive. I plan to monitor the rusting and if necessary scrape it off and do a heat resistive spray later. The engine shroud is having no trouble and looks nice also.

My father had a Bajaj super 1987, bought new from Pondicherry. I have driven it and got my driving license in that scooter. He sold it within two years and bought Bajaj M 80; prefering larger wheels.

Thread Starter #14
The work continues …..

The painting work was entrusted to a paint shop. One guy rejected the work citing he was busy. I had no other choice than to entrust another guy. I had no reference either. He agreed to paint in the original color for Rs 3000/- and return within a week. I pressure washed all components and handed over. I was out of town and later he called back that the work is over. I did not get the opportunity to visit him during work. The panels were good and his work seemed Ok. The outcome can be known later only. Money spent on the scooter was mounting and I lost track of the expenses over the extended period.

Attachments

Thread Starter #15
The items received after painting

WP_20160514_009.jpg
WP_20160514_010.jpg

The sticker work required was OE and was hence easy. Cutting and pasting was completed within one hour.The damage was 300 Rs/-.

IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG

The fuel gauge was also repaired earlier and the console fitted. I would post my observations about fuel gauge repair seperately. New blinker assembly was also fitted.

WP_20160617_005.jpg
WP_20160617_008.jpg

I fitted the centrestand and spring and strapped the wiring loom onto the chassis. Suitable nuts were also inserted wherever necessary. Fixing of new footpegs was a bit difficult as i had to remove a slice of rubber on either foot peg.

WP_20160514_012.jpg

My wife was certainly not happy about the way I keep the things organised.:agree:
WP_20160807_029.jpg

Top Bottom