Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor 2010: Review After 40K Kms in Serbia

Thread Starter #1
Hi there (or it's better to say here)
this is my report after just a 40K of Km in Safari.

This is my first Indian vehicle. I knew almost nothing about Indian vehicles except that they last forever. And that came from some Mahindra jeeps more than 30 years ago. In general, after 40k of Km it's good and I am satisfied. In these three years that I am driving it, I never regretted for a second for buying my Safari.

I drive it every day through the city and on the road for several hundreds of kilometers at a time. Sitting position is very good except for the lack of foot rest for left foot as in Land Cruiser or some other 4x4s. But I found a very nice foot rest from something, maybe from some tractor or I don't know what, and it fitted nicely, so the problem is solved.

Visibility is very, very good except for the parking in reverse. The rear part of the car, behind the rear door handles, is not in the sight when I look in external rear view mirror. But that problem is solved with additional mirrors fitted on existing rear view mirrors. The other fault, let's say that way, are wipers. Somehow the driver side wiper, in my case it's left hand side wiper, leaves huge part of windshield, the most left side, uncleaned. It simply doesn't go far enough. Maybe I have to dive into wiper mechanism and solve that problem.

Somewhere on the Internet I read that Safari is a fuel guzzler, but my diesel is very nice to me at a gas station. If I pay attention on revs and changing gears in the right moment, my Safari goes with 8.5 liters per 100 km in the city. But in Belgrade, where I live, a man can not drive very fast because of traffic jam and numerous cameras and speed radars.

On the open road I can go with 7 liters per 100 km with four people on board and a luggage, which in my case are four diving tanks and other diving goods and chattels. But that goes just for normal road tires. If I change to terrain tires, the fuel consumption goes up to 8 lit./100km. I think it's ok for a car of this type. Riding in Safari is a bit like sailing on a big boat but I find it amusement and funny. No problem there. As I said to my brother after my maiden voyage with my Safari, it's like I am sitting on a Grizzly bear. It is huge, powerful, strong going and I don't have any temptation to prove to anyone how powerful Safari really is :biggrin: (Serbians love to show up with fast driving).
I just step on the throttle pedal and go my way, or, in most cases, just keep riding in a slow and soft manner and let all the people to be faster and more warm blooded than me. I know how much power I pack under the bonnet. Let them be happy for being faster than all terrain vehicle :biggrin:

On the off road, Safari surprised me with it's mild behavior and easy steering, yet again, it has more than enough power to go everywhere. Moreover, it has no problem to go in deep mud as on a hard and dry surface full of potholes and axle breakers. Yes, it swings and tilts, but hey, it's off road, remember? Before Safari, I used to drive Land Rovers series types and Defender 110 along with few other 4x4-s. Nothing like Safari, I can say. Yes, there are better, bigger, more powerful 4x4 vehicles with more torque, but also more expensive cars. But at the end of an off road adventure, we all eat at the same time at the same place. Tata managed to go everywhere alongside those better and more-of-everything 4x4 cars, with no problem, or hesitation, or demur.

In first year I waited a few weeks for the snow on mountains to melt down making rivers and streams to swell and become deeper so I can try wading. My Safari can go through head light deep water with no problem. Some electrical problems due to heavy rains were fixed "on the fly". I found that Safari isn't that good in the terms of painting and water and dust protection, but I already have solutions for that. It can't be an issue for not buying Safari or to rant about it. It's simply a part of Safaris low cost and that is that. For a man who likes to get greasy with his car, Safari posts no obstacle when speaking of rust protection. In my country we use salt to melt snow and ice on the road surface, and rust protection is very important, but Safari lacks of that. But it is not the first car with poor rust protection and we have solutions even for that.

And to make a long story short, I have not regretted for a second, as I have mentioned above. Safari was excellent choice for the amount of money that I have had. TOC is relatively low for 4x4 car and by that, Safari gives much more than it was paid. Beside all of that, my friends say that Safari is the best looking 4x4 I owned. And that also counts, doesn't it?

Thread Starter #2
Ups!!! Now I saw that my Safari has more than 40k Kms on the clock in my ownership. ABS lamp went on once last year. Problem with ABS computer was solved within a day. Some logical circuit burned down. Replaced with new and ABS works as new. It is common Bosch ABS pump and computer that fits on a lot of European cars.

EGR (god, how I hate that #$^%##... let's be polite here [:)] ) was creating problems. EGR was solved by hacking the computer. Now it sleeps in oblivion. Serbia is DIY kingdom. We don't have TASS and so I don't have a reason to rant hahahahha. Speaking of EGR, in my view, EGR is like if someone forces you to run a marathon while constant farting in your nose. And it is expected of you to improve your result. No way! EGR is out on my Safari.

In total, my Safari has 82K Kms on the clock and I replaced rubber grommets and bushings on front and rear suspension, engine temperature sensor, some fuses and wheel bearings on front wheels. Rest was fixed immediately. All in all I am satisfied.

Parts are the same as on most European cars. No problem there. I just have to google them or to find them in auto parts shops. I am talking about engine and transmission parts. Body and glasses are different story, BUT!!! Two years ago we had a huge hail storm with enormous hail big as tennis balls. Guess what? One of them broke my windshield. Normally I started to sweat how on god's earth I am going to find windshield for Safari in Belgrade? Somehow, in three glass services they had windshields on stock. When I asked why someone would have a glass for Indian car, all of them answered that in Serbia we have more than 20 Safaris so they ordered glass parts. Nice guys.
I will post some more thoughts as they pop up to my mind

just made me happy. i also own a 2008 safari with 1.90k kms. also share some of the pics of your ride and travellouges with safari

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Scuba,
Welcome to TAI. You have an Interesting story. Its nice to see safari doing duty in Siberia. We've visitied Siberia numerous times. In COD games and all that is. Its a land of many tales.

Good luck and go post a few pics of your beast.

BTW, what engine do you get there? There are 4 i've driven in India. the 1.9L TCIC with 90BHP. The beastly 3.0 with 116. Damm thing is a monster. And the smooth 2.2 Dicor with 140 BHP and the latest 2.2 Varicor with 150 Hp/400NM.

Thread Starter #5
@bhvm

We have 1.9 TCIC and smooth 2.2.

I have 2.2.

The annual registration fees for engine larger than 2.0 lit. are huge. For instance, for 3.0 lit. I would have to pay about 2000 Euros. For 2.2 I pay 650 Euros. For 1.9 annual registration is 250 Euros.

bhvm

Honoured Member
In India, we have to pay Road Tax ( I guess thats equiv to Annual Registration fees as you said) at once for 15 years (During purchase). Thats a huge amount. Also, Anything over 2L In India is not encouraged and there are various bans/ Excess levies/ Environmental cess etc from time to time.

However 2000 euros PER YEAR is just insane. And I just thought Mostly India had car-averse laws.

I must say your review is very interesting to read and it's fun to know the perspective of other side of the globe too [:)].

The other fault, let's say that way, are wipers. Somehow the driver side wiper, in my case it's left hand side wiper, leaves huge part of windshield, the most left side, uncleaned. It simply doesn't go far enough. Maybe I have to dive into wiper mechanism and solve that problem.
Could this be due to wiper blades swiping from left to right as in Indian setup?

Thread Starter #9
After looking for "new" 4x4, I decided to buy Safari not only because of annual registration fees, but because I presumed that TOC will be on my side through some years in future. For instance, tire size is 16" in comparison of 17" or 18" on other makes and models. Cheaper tire can bring benefit to my wallet. I already mentioned engine and transmission parts that I can find "at home".

After some 10K Kms, in safari I found that it runs well on and off road, being mild at gas station. Noise inside is relatively low in comparison with Land Rovers, Niva, Uaz... Huge trunk is practical for trips. Having big trunk is not that good when I have to go shopping with my wife, but look... it's life.

On terrain, safari is just long enough and wide enough to have comfortable ride, but it is still "small" enough to go almost everywhere without problems in curves, sharp corners, and narrow paths. I found that during wading, water pores somewhere if water depth exceeds tire height. But on the other hand, it's almost 70cm of depth, so ending with dry feet after river crossing isn't something to be expected in every 4x4. Water goes out probably the same way it got in, so all I have to do is to let the car to dry in the sun and all is fine.

Two things that I found to be on minus side are torsion front suspension and lack of central differential. Torsion, by my opinion, could be harder and stronger for such front-heavy car, but than safari wouldn't be so smooth and soft to drive. Central diff. would require central diff-lock and probably diff-lock for either front or rear diff. That would instantaneously mean higher price. But it's ok this way. This was just my idea. Limited slip diff works just fine, as is.

A lot of dust comes into cabin even with closed windows. Maybe Tata could pay more attention about sealing the cabin. Lack of cabin air filter is ok 'cause I don't have to change it every now and then, but dust has open path to the cabin. All of that means that I have to vacuum clean everything longer than on some other, again, more expensive, 4x4. Entering and exiting the cabin would be much easier if Tata mounted heavy duty handles in front and in the middle as it already exist aside of rear door, instead of puny handles invisibly placed on roof side of cabin.

Hot air pores through serves-to-nothing rubber lips on both sides of parking brake lever. Lack of compartments for bits and unnecessary little things disappointed me the very first moment I seat in safari. But I got used to it. For true all terrain vehicle, Tata could mount more grease nipples (I don't know it in English), little ball-shaped screws for greasing moving parts. That would increase lifetime of front suspension and steering mechanism.

I understand that India has warm climate, but Europe has snow and with snow comes salt that we use to melt snow and ice on road surface. No rust protection of any kind is a big minus. I had to do it myself. Poor paint job on underside. Many little corners and gapes just serve to collect mud, dust and moisture. Little more plastic covers wouldn't hurt. Rear door is too heavy for tiny gas shock absorber.

To be honest, I like my safari and I love to drive it. It gives me pleasure and all of minuses mentioned above are in the second plane. Important thing is that safari never left me in the middle of nowhere. And all of my friends asked me to order that analog clock for them. All of them like it that much.

Top Bottom