Honda BR-V MT Petrol: The All-Rounder Comes Home - An Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi folks,
We took delivery of the BRV-VMT petrol on Monday. I will share my experiences on this thread. We had finalized the Creta, but decided to go with the BRV. Let me start off by saying why I feel this car is an ALL-ROUNDER:
  1. Reliable Engine: Enough has been said about Honda VTEC engines.
  2. Good steering offers more "feel" than the Creta. The Creta steering felt slightly over-assisted.
  3. Fresh front looks aggressive like a "baby CRV" which is a good thing. Rear is funky with those tail lamps.
  4. Ample Space for passengers: The car is 52mm wider and 67mm longer than the Mobilio and also has a 10mm longer wheelbase. (larger than the Mobilio on all parameters)
  5. Best in Class Ground clearance of 210mm is surprisingly higher, even than the Innova Crysta. Can someone confirm the GC of Innova if it is 167mm or 173mm. Toyota has purposely left out this figure on their website !!!
  6. Can seat 7, though I agree 3 large adults will rub shoulders in the second row, 3 medium adults will be absolutely fine.
  7. Excellent Air conditioning- even for the third row under the afternoon sun.
  8. Perfect dimensions for a 7 seater, not too bulky to drive in rush hour traffic.
  9. Huge boot space. Even with all 3 rows up there is ample space for 3 cabin bags!
Now for some drawbacks:
  1. Interiors could have been better designed. I feel the Creta has the best interiors of the small SUV's.
  2. Side Profile reminds one of the erstwhile Mobilio. Honda should have done a better job here. Again I feel the Creta is the best looking crossover SUV currently.
Delivery Experience: The car had 4kms on its odometer and according to the VIN this was a July 2016 model. Overall experience was good. Sales guy picked up dad from home on a couple of occasions. I have ordered the armrest as an additional accessory.
Initial Driving experience: Ultra smooth is the best way to describe it. At idle, its hard to tell if the engine is on! The car pulls steadily & effortlessly. I will test this with full capacity soon and let you guys know.
Additional Works & Accessories: I have ordered the armrest. I will also be carrying out the rust proofing soon from the dealer.

Few pictures during Delivery (please ignore the picture quality). I will do a complete photo-shoot soon. The Golden Brown Metallic does an excellent job at hiding the side visual bulk and there is no need to fix any side body/bumper cladding to break the visual bulk.

Attachments

Re: Honda BRV-V MT petrol: The ALL-ROUNDER comes home - An Ownership Review

Congratulations Sir, enjoy your new ride.

I would suggest you to go 3M for the underbody anti-rust coating, it may be a cheaper than the dealer quotation. And please confirm what package is the dealer giving you (dealers mostly give 2 years warranty package, though 5 years warranty package is also available @ 3M).

Congrats to you for your new purchase. BR- V looks good in this shade and alloys are simply beautiful. Wish you happy miles ahead.

Thread Starter #4

Congratulations Sir, enjoy your new ride.

I would suggest you to go 3M for the underbody anti-rust coating, it may be a cheaper than the dealer quotation. And please confirm what package is the dealer giving you (dealers mostly give 2 years warranty package, though 5 years warranty package is also available @ 3M).
Thank you sir for that advice. I will check the warranty tomorrow. The dealer also had Teflon paint protection, though I think I'll go to 3M for this. Haven't checked the prices for 3M. Will do a little bit of shopping around and decide in the coming week.

Thread Starter #5

Congrats to you for your new purchase. BR- V looks good in this shade and alloys are simply beautiful. Wish you happy miles ahead.
Thank you sir for your kind words. Much appreciated. Yes it is a very interesting color. This shade looks much darker at night, but under sunlight it comes into its own! I will do a photo shoot at different times of the day and post pictures.

Congratulations to you on your new purchase.
The colour looks very nice.
Cannot wait for the detailed ownership experience for this beauty.
Enjoy years of trouble free ownership that Honda is very famous for.

PS - Are you opting for Extended warranty for the vehicle. I am sure Honda will be offering it.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

Congrats on the all rounder buddy.
Black with chrome is looking really good.

How are you finding the performance of this car? as it shares honda city engine but BRV has a larger footprint & heavier GVW.

Thread Starter #9
Congratulations to you on your new purchase.
The colour looks very nice.
Cannot wait for the detailed ownership experience for this beauty.
Enjoy years of trouble free ownership that Honda is very famous for.

PS - Are you opting for Extended warranty for the vehicle. I am sure Honda will be offering it.
Wow.. Congratulations.
Color looks beautiful
Happy Miles ahead[drive]
Congrats on the all rounder buddy.
Black with chrome is looking really good.

How are you finding the performance of this car? as it shares honda city engine but BRV has a larger footprint & heavier GVW.
Thank you everyone for your encouraging words. Honda has provided 3 year unlimited Kms warranty on the BRV and that's why I haven't opted for Extended warranty. I might opt for it before the end of 3 years. The kerb weight of the City petrol is 1065kg and BRV petrol is 1199kg. Autocar India have rated the BRV manual petrol as the fastest of the lot @ 11.84 seconds to reach 100 kmph. The petrol city takes 10.13sec to reach 100 kmph. Though being marginally heavier than the city, performance doesn't feel blunted in any way! Right now I'm not pushing the car too hard till I cross 800-1000 kms. But take my word when I say this is one rev happy engine and it pulls cleanly! [cheers]

Also bhvm Sir, this is Golden Brown Metallic color, delivery time was in the evening and that's why it looks darker. During the day it shows more of the Golden Brown side of it. Will post more pictures soon. Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:
Congrats bro on your new ride. The i-VTEC makes the BRV's case stronger vis a vis Creta. Could you please apprise us about its variant, OTR price, freebies etc.

Last edited:
congratulations[:)]

Have good miles with your new drive and do share the mileage figures of this petrol fuelled BR-V

I like the shade and the front of the car is the part I really liked, nice choice of color as well.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Congrats bro on your new ride. The i-VTEC makes the BRV's case stronger vis a vis Creta. Could you please apprise us about its variant, OTR price, freebies etc.
Hi turbothingy, exactly the reason why we changed our booking from the Creta to the BRV. Although I feel the looks & interiors of the Creta are better. But hands down the I-VTEC is a gem. This is the Petrol Manual, "V" grade. OTR price was 12.33 lacs. Freebies thrown in were floor mats and rust proofing. The dealer agreed to give armrest at 50% of the cost.

congratulations[:)]

Have good miles with your new drive and do share the mileage figures of this petrol fuelled BR-V

I like the shade and the front of the car is the part I really liked, nice choice of color as well.
Hi kasscon, yes we loved the color the minute we saw it. In fact we told the dealer we won't book the car till we saw all the shades in person. This shade hides the visual bulk in the side profile very well and makes it look compact. That's why there was no need to add bumper cladding or side cladding. Also this shade accentuates the chrome grill in the front very well.
Initial milage in the city is good, I'm getting between 13-14kmpl. But the real good news is the highway figure. Took the car on a 180 km round trip yesterday. The milage showed was 16 kmpl. But keep in mind I NEVER ONCE CROSSED 80 km/hr, as I'm waiting for the run in period to end. This figure will definitely go down as you push it towards 100 km/hr and above. Very pleased with the comfort levels as well.

Congrats ImprezaSti_Guy. BRV looks great in that colour. What was the final OTR cost. What is the initial mileage you are getting.
Thanks!! The final OTR price was 12.33 lacs.
Initial city milage 13-14 km/litre
Highway milage 16 km/litre (strictly not crossing speed limit of 80 km/hr)

Stay safe everyone!!

Last edited:
Good to hear the Mileage figures and please share did you felt the need of Diesel mil or more torque at any point in time while fully loaded.

I am asking this coz the I-Vtec (gem) and its performance in this form(MPV)

Thread Starter #15
Good to hear the Mileage figures and please share did you felt the need of Diesel mil or more torque at any point in time while fully loaded.

I am asking this coz the I-Vtec (gem) and its performance in this form(MPV)
Hi sir, absolutely didn't feel the need of a diesel. Keep the engine spinning at around 1500-1600 rpm and this petrol engine will reward with superb drivability and it will pull cleanly. What's more commendable is that this size for a 7 seater is perfect. Driving in narrow city lanes is not at all a chore. (Imagine driving a large SUV or an Innova)

Top Bottom