My Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Blue Dolphin

Thread Starter #1
HI ,

Im a TATA Tiago Diesel XZ owner, I had purchased this car on 27th May’16.
This is my third Tata car after 2008 Vista (sold within a year due to problems) & 2010 Nano (sold within 10 months , due to the feel factor overall not very desirable product)

Before reading thru, Im not a Tata fan or neither a fan of any brand its my hard earned money need a competent product at the end of the day. Remember Im very happy with the product this time due to awesome handling, comfort seat, insulated cabin, light steering & clutch , feature rich etc,.

Currently, Im facing issues with my car. Please find them below.

1> My first Trip:
After purchasing my car waited for over a month & 900 kms and then started for the first trip from Bangalore-Mangalore. However, The car had mal-function light ON at 970 kms and I was in the highway calling over and over again your customer care and had to return 60 kms to the peenya service center. Then they did something and the light vanished during diagnosis. But again after 100 kms it came back but this time I didn’t stop and I continued my journey as I have already wasted my 6 hrs in this problem. After about 200 kms the light vanished and never came back till now odod at 5500 kms now.
Issue resolved: Minor electronic glitch which was rectified by TASS
2> My second trip:
This time from Bangalore-Kodaikanal, the car reached kodai without any Issue’s. The next morning I started the engine, the car was making some unusual engine idle sound and the entire area was covered with black & white smoke (please see the video & pictures attached) , not an ordinary smoke it was as if some house was burning, that magnitude. Entire area was covered with smoke and very bad smell (something like a burnt engine smell, not the normal diesel one). It took about 30 mins for the car to come to normal. It was very embarrassing to see this when people were watching us helplessly trying to reach the customer care. It was huge pollution in the entire area.
Again I had to call the cust. Care and have booked a complaint.
After it became normal, I had continued to go for sightseeing the car behaved absolutely fine the entire day and we went and visited entire hilly places.
Then again the next day morning it’s the same problem full of smoke in the entire street for 30 mins and became normal after that.
Issue Resolved: TASS along with Tata motors rectified the issue, they have updated the ECU parameters and the issue is not seen. The car is fine during the cold start.

Now let me tell why Im persistent this time to still retain the car.

• The car is heavy and bliss to run on the highway say 120 kms/hr is simply superb. The car behaves like a big german car when on highway.
• The shock absorbers are superb and can take any pothole with assurance, this is 2 segments above in this dept.
• The car has two diff. kicks from the turbo one at the 1500-1800-rpm and other at 2500 rpm @ 100 kms & reaches 120 very fast and it can compete any car at these speeds. Infact I had a firsthand experience with my ertiga VDI (sold it after 45k kms, 2.5 yrs of ownership) before this and I can say that this car is competent for the price and the engine it offers but remember to have the needle above 2000 rpm for best performance. But ertiga had one serious problem that is, it hates mountain/hilly areas due to the turbo lag the car simply doesn’t like the hilly areas. It will struggle to climb with load (even with 4 adults) opposite is tiago less turbo lag and hill station is easy to tackle.
• The steering is very light in parking and weighsup well say I have reached speeds of 140 kms/hr & its very confident inspiring.

All these are the reasons that I still want the problems to be rectified and retain the car.

Delearship/service exp:

I had purchased this car from KHT motors Bangalore.

I had done my first service from them and then later I have visited them for 3/4 times.

• During first service they have replaced the fog lamps as the fog lamp cover is loose and fell. So they replaced the entire assembly bothside in warranty. Also I wanted them to check the engine malfunction light which they did. They didn’t wash the car and promised that they would pick it up in the weekdays.
• When I called them during the weekday they simply refused saying no one is there to pick and asked us to bring the car , we took it and it took them solid 3 hrs to just wash and return the car.
• But they have not fixed the turbo air intake pipe properly and have kept it open which had caused the car with very low pickup and I was not sure and was thinking its normal and was cursing the car when I was driving the in city for about 500kms -1000kms.
• Again after 1000 kms (odo-4k kms)the fog lamp cover fell, I had taken it to service center and also the cabin light is not working they have said that they have ordered, they are yet to replace this part. They also fixed the turbo pipe. this time the fog is fitted but the light harness is not connected had to take it again andthey took abbout 2 hrs just to conect the wire...[anger]
• During the same time when checked the engine oil was reduced , they have filled the engine oil with half liter. But when I see the quantity seems to be more than the max mark now.
• Except the Gm/asst. manager others feel as if they doing some free service and they are not at all knowledgeable, they are in simple words kam-chor just waiting to push time and go home in the evening.

In one simple word though Tata is investing on the new products and they are successful in getting very competent product but the service centers are nowhere near the vision of Tata and they are not investing they just want to bank on the investment of the Tata motors. Example the facility is the same for ages they have not invested on the facility and seems like early 2000’s service facility compared to other competitors.

Current Odo: 5500kms

Regards,
Gokul

Last edited:
Re: MY Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Blue Dolpin

Hi,

Congratulation on your new car.

Disheartening to hear about your experience .Was planning to go for tata car,but now wondering about their reliability.Hope you are able to get a proper diagnostic and solution for your problem.

Please post some pics of your car and update about the mileage in city and highway.

Last edited:

Congratulations Sir on your new purchase, enjoy your new ride. [thumbsup]

Request you to share some pictures of the car.

HI ,

Im a TATA Tiago Diesel XZ owner, I had purchased this car on 27th May’16.
This is my third Tata car after 2008 Vista (sold within a year due to problems) & 2010 Nano (sold within 10 months , due to the feel factor overall not very desirable product)

Before reading thru, Im not a Tata fan or neither a fan of any brand its my hard earned money need a competent product at the end of the day. Remember Im very happy with the product this time due to awesome handling, comfort seat, insulated cabin, light steering & clutch , feature rich etc,.

Currently, Im facing issues with my car. Please find them below.

1> My first Trip:
After purchasing my car waited for over a month & 900 kms and then started for the first trip from Bangalore-Mangalore. However, The car had mal-function light ON at 970 kms and I was in the highway calling over and over again your customer care and had to return 60 kms to the peenya service center. Then they did something and the light vanished during diagnosis. But again after 100 kms it came back but this time I didn’t stop and I continued my journey as I have already wasted my 6 hrs in this problem. After about 200 kms the light vanished and never came back till now odod at 5500 kms now.
2> My second trip:
This time from Bangalore-Kodaikanal, the car reached kodai without any Issue’s. The next morning I started the engine, the car was making some unusual engine idle sound and the entire area was covered with black & white smoke (please see the video & pictures attached) , not an ordinary smoke it was as if some house was burning, that magnitude. Entire area was covered with smoke and very bad smell (something like a burnt engine smell, not the normal diesel one). It took about 30 mins for the car to come to normal. It was very embarrassing to see this when people were watching us helplessly trying to reach the customer care. It was huge pollution in the entire area.
Again I had to call the cust. Care and have booked a complaint.
After it became normal, I had continued to go for sightseeing the car behaved absolutely fine the entire day and we went and visited entire hilly places.
Then again the next day morning it’s the same problem full of smoke in the entire street for 30 mins and became normal after that.

Now let me tell why Im persistent this time to still retain the car.

• The car is heavy and bliss to run on the highway say 120 kms/hr is simply superb. The car behaves like a big german car when on highway.
• The shock absorbers are superb and can take any pothole with assurance, this is 2 segments above in this dept.
• The car has two diff. kicks from the turbo one at the 1500-1800-rpm and other at 2500 rpm @ 100 kms & reaches 120 very fast and it can compete any car at these speeds. Infact I had a firsthand experience with my ertiga VDI (sold it after 45k kms, 2.5 yrs of ownership) before this and I can say that this car is competent for the price and the engine it offers but remember to have the needle above 2000 rpm for best performance. But ertiga had one serious problem that is, it hates mountain/hilly areas due to the turbo lag the car simply doesn’t like the hilly areas. It will struggle to climb with load (even with 4 adults)
• The steering is very light in parking and weighsup well say I have reached speeds of 140 kms/hr & its very confident inspiring.

All these are the reasons that I still want the problems to be rectified and retain the car.

Delearship/service exp:

I had purchased this car from KHT motors Bangalore.

I had done my first service from them and then later I have visited them for 3/4 times.

• During first service they have replaced the fog lamps as the fog lamp cover is loose and fell. So they replaced the entire assembly bothside in warranty. Also I wanted them to check the engine malfunction light which they did. They didn’t wash the car and promised that they would pick it up in the weekdays.
• When I called them during the weekday they simply refused saying no one is there to pick and asked us to bring the car , we took it and it took them solid 3 hrs to just wash and return the car.
• But they have not fixed the turbo air intake pipe properly and have kept it open which had caused the car with very low pickup and I was not sure and was thinking its normal and was cursing the car when I was driving the in city for about 500kms -1000kms.
• Again after 1000 kms (odo-4k kms)the fog lamp cover fell, I had taken it to service center and also the cabin light is not working they have said that they have ordered, they are yet to replace this part. They also fixed the turbo pipe. this time the fog is fitted but the light harness is not connected had to take it again andthey took abbout 2 hrs just to conect the wire...[anger]
• During the same time when checked the engine oil was reduced , they have filled the engine oil with half liter. But when I see the quantity seems to be more than the max mark now.
• Except the Gm others feel as if they doing some free service and they are not at all knowledgeable, they are in simple words kam-chor just waiting to push time and go home in the evening.

In one simple word though Tata is investing on the new products and they are successful in getting very competent product but the service centers are nowhere near the vision of Tata and they are not investing they just want to bank on the investment of the Tata motors. Example the facility is the same for ages they have not invested on the facility and seems like early 2000’s service facility compared to other competitors.

Current Odo: 5500kms

Regards,
Gokul
Congrats or new Tiago sir. But it is actually sad too see these niggles.
Sir, have you a better service center in Bangalore? Concorde is most recommended by Bangalore people.
Also, are you a member of the ATOM club (All-India Tiago Owners Membership club) on facebook? There are quite some experts over there who could help you out.

Regarding the engine check indicator, either it should be a minor electronical glitch or you must really get it checked by better technicians. The smoke problem you reported must be related to this.
Hope you get all these issues solved soon by Concorde.

Sorry to hear about problems you faced, can you please tell me which branch of Kht motors you went. If you have time can visit Kundalahalli branch on Saturday I will came there and help you to fix it I know management there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that you had to face all those niggles. Don't ignore the engine oil being more than full mark on dip stick. Its bad for your engine and it may find it's way into the intercooler and then turbo charger and will effect the car's performance. Remove the excess oil as soon as possible. Check the engine oil level 1/2 hour after stopping the car engine after a drive.

Thread Starter #7

Hi,

Congratulation on your new car.

Disheartening to hear about your experience .Was planning to go for tata car,but now wondering about their reliability.Hope you are able to get a proper diagnostic and solution for your problem.

Please post some pics of your car and update about the mileage in city and highway.
The car is a mileage king , it returns awesome mileage compared to my ertiga. Even @120+ km/hr it is at 20+ kms. overall for my 1100 kms journey I have got 21 kms/litre which is very considering the hilly station drive of 200 kms and traffic jam of 2 hrs in Kodaikanal due to huge tourist turn up for the long weekend.

Im also part of Tiago ATOM Facebook page.

I have already return mails to tata motors and they have responded back. Will be taking the car to service center. These are few initials glitches but the service center is incompetent to address them is my problem.

Still I love the car since, at this pricepoint the car is simply the best.

I have driven swift/ertiga/alto k10 comparatively, this car is very good in terms of comfort/stability. To experience take this car at 120-130 kmph on the highway and see how well it behaves, it just too good on the highway. Please remember this car is meant to be in the wagonR/celerio segment but Im comparing with higher segment to give an estimate on how good it is.

Today after coming back to bangalore the car is behaving absolutely fine. No problems all. Not sure why only in the hillstation that too only in the morning Im having this problem, after the engine is heated the car is fine. Anyone else have faced this issue?

I need to add one more important point which most of the reviews are not covering, please sit in the car and try hearing the outside noise, you will appreciate the noise insulation this car has. It simply superb.[clap]. Its a very silent cabin compared to my Ertiga, alto k10 is better not to be compared(its simply chassis with some tin sheet on it which will crush even with slight presuure). Even my ertiga used to have lots of tyre noise in the cabin in highways.
Also the car feels so safe on the highway speeds which you wont get unless you pay more like VW polo.
The steering is very light in city and weighs well in the highway and believe me you wont have any jerk/vibrations at 120-130 kmph giving you enough confidence to stay on these speeds.

The car is bought from KHT kundalahalli and serviced from there only, will try one last time and move away from this service center if its not working out. The only reason to prefer this place is bcoz its just next to my office.

Note: Viewers please remember Im absolutely loving this car for the safety/comfort/stability/features/price/mileage.

The car is a mileage king , it returns awesome mileage compared to my ertiga. Even @120+ km/hr it is at 20+ kms. overall for my 1100 kms journey I have got 21 kms/litre which is very considering the hilly station drive of 200 kms and traffic jam of 2 hrs in Kodaikanal due to huge tourist turn up for the long weekend.

Im also part of Tiago ATOM Facebook page.

I have already return mails to tata motors and they have responded back. Will be taking the car to service center. These are few initials glitches but the service center is incompetent to address them is my problem.

Still I love the car since, at this pricepoint the car is simply the best.

I have driven swift/ertiga/alto k10 comparatively, this car is very good in terms of comfort/stability. To experience take this car at 120-130 kmph on the highway and see how well it behaves, it just too good on the highway. Please remember this car is meant to be in the wagonR/celerio segment but Im comparing with higher segment to give an estimate on how good it is.

Today after coming back to bangalore the car is behaving absolutely fine. No problems all. Not sure why only in the hillstation that too only in the morning Im having this problem, after the engine is heated the car is fine. Anyone else have faced this issue?

I need to add one more important point which most of the reviews are not covering, please sit in the car and try hearing the outside noise, you will appreciate the noise insulation this car has. It simply superb.[clap]. Its a very silent cabin compared to my Ertiga, alto k10 is better not to be compared(its simply chassis with some tin sheet on it which will crush even with slight presuure). Even my ertiga used to have lots of tyre noise in the cabin in highways.
Also the car feels so safe on the highway speeds which you wont get unless you pay more like VW polo.
The steering is very light in city and weighs well in the highway and believe me you wont have any jerk/vibrations at 120-130 kmph giving you enough confidence to stay on these speeds.

The car is bought from KHT kundalahalli and serviced from there only, will try one last time and move away from this service center if its not working out. The only reason to prefer this place is bcoz its just next to my office.

Note: Viewers please remember Im absolutely loving this car for the safety/comfort/stability/features/price/mileage.
You see sir, all cars will emit smoke if the surroundings are cold. I have seen my Ertiga emit smoke like a truck during the Ooty trip. After the engine heats up, the smoke disappears. Another reason for smoke could be the alcohol mixed diesel provided at hill stations. Alcohol is mixed with diesel to prevent freezing of diesel at cold temperatures.

Hi Gokul,
Congrats on your Tiago ownership and wish you many happy miles driving it. Good choice with the blue color too, it was my second option after orange [:)]. I totally agree with you on the attitude of service center guys on their workmanship. There are many such cases of carelessness faced by owners in our WhatsApp group, including me. I really wish Tata implements serious measures to improve their service center experiences. Otherwise Tiago is a gem in its class.

Gokul,

Congrats on your Fantastico !!!

First thing - After reading your first post I first thought White and Black Smoke from Engine, but your video clarified my doubts, thanks for the video !

Are you sure about the fuel quality which went into the car ?

Also, what was the RPM at which car was running in the hilly area ?

In my Tiago, on a cold day start the car vibrates a little bit, but it settles down within seconds.

Well, as suggested by others, you should get the engine oil levels checked as well. If the engine oil is high also, there will be smoke. Get it checked and sorted ASAP sir.

Top Bottom