Tata Tiago: First Month Ownership Micro-Review

Thread Starter #1
Hello readers,

Tata launched Tiago in January 2016, a time when I was trying to find my first car. I started off my search from the famous Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 (like a lot of Indians, because of the price, reliability and the FE, for which most of us fall), but in a few weeks I realized that I was climbing up the automobile ladder owing to my increased requirements and the competitive features offered by every other car manufacturer. Quite reluctantly I started looking at the Tiago, since I thought it might be just another Taxi that Tata has produced from its assembly line. But I was proved wrong very quickly. As soon as I saw the design, I was surprised by the missing egg shape that was characteristic of a Tata hatchback. I could see lines cutting through the body, the changed stance, a car looking more 2016. That moment I started reading about the car's features and reviews, which were quite positive too.
I went for the test drive of the Petrol variant and was impressed with the car (and surprised with my driving skills. No, not a good surprise, I should said shocked, but I don't want to hurt myself that bad). The car performed quite well in the City mode, the Eco mode was a little under powered (obvious, isn't it?), the AC was real powerful, gear changes were a little tricky (felt a little stiff. Was it just me?), and the ICE was top notch. After the drive I checked the features and was loving the little things Tata did with the car, like the hook in the co-driver's seat, the pin on the windscreen for tickets, the mobile holder, the grooved handle to pull down the boot and what not. These niceties were ones that every car owner would love and appreciate as they get more familiar with the car.
If you ask me,in my mind, I had decided to buy a Tiago in a couple of weeks from when I read about it. But I was somehow not able to come to terms with the people who questioned the decision to buy a Tata hatchback (everyone had an image of the Indica in their minds).
But then it was my research, my car and my decision, and I went ahead and booked the car after the test drive. And at that point the eternal wait for the car started. My SA told me that it would take 10-12 weeks. Although I knew the wait would be long, but 12 weeks was real loong. Anyway, I went ahead and gave him the cheque, hoping Tata would buckle up and spit out more cars to keep the momentum of this new car going. And that they did ! Surprisingly, I got the car before my expected date (in around 6 weeks).

The delivery date was decided (consulting the stars) and we were on the way to Concorde Motors, Baner, Pune. As soon as I entered I saw the shining Red Tiago standing proudly, waiting for me to touch its fiery body. But how could that happen without the mandatory coconut breaking and applying a dab of kumkum on her smiling face. The sales team had made all the preparations for that already (Impressive!) and my wife did the honours of calling the Gods for their blessings to be bestowed on the car and its riders. Once the coconut water was sprayed on the car, I finally approached her and sat in the driver's seat. What an experience it was ! The joy of sitting in your own car is immeasurable (I was just hoping the emotions don't get over me and the tear drops spoil the art-leather seat-covers). The SA then explained the features of the car in detail and once again impressed me with all those niceties. Once that was done, we made our way home (via the visit to the temple of course).

Since the delivery of the car, it has been around a month and I have been driving the car mostly daily for either traveling to the office or for the chores on weekends. The drive has been really satisfying and since this is my first car, the pride of owning my own car still shows. There are some things that I loved about the car:

• Steering is really smooth and maneuvering the car in traffic is easy
  • The rear parking sensors have really saved me on more than a couple of occasions. A really good thing in a entry level hatchback. Though I think there should have been an option of rear camera too, integrated with the fabulous Harman ConnectNext system (being too greedy??)
  • The instrument console is quite detailed and helps novice drivers like me with its instant FE and gear shift indicators.
  • The honking when you try to lock the car with one of the doors open. And also the beep when you try to leave the car with headlights on (That's a real bonus for a forgetful soul like me).
  • Lots of storage space all around the driver and passenger.
  • The bluetooth connectivity with the ICE which allows hands-free talking is really helpful. The nice placement of all the buttons on the ICE.
  • Premium plastic on the interiors and the piano-black adds a classy look to the car.
Problems I have faced so far:

• The windscreen washer stops working abruptly
  • The passenger side door open indicator not working
  • Gear shifting is not as smooth as I would have liked
Model : Berry Red Tiago XT Petrol
On road price (excluding the accessories) - INR 4,90,485
Accessories bought - Mud flaps, Floor Mats, Car cover
Other Notable purchases - Jopasu Car duster, Godrej Aer car freshener
Planning to buy - Car vacuum cleaner, better floor mats (company ones are not too good, would not recommend), Car wax / polish.
Before parting, I hope Tata's After Sales experience is better than what I have read. Although I haven't been for the first service yet, I would be making way soon and hope that this long association with Tata only becomes better with the passing years. [glasses]

- Arpit

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Tata Tiago - First Month Ownership micro-review

Congrats Arpit on your new Tiago. I am sure you will have a good association with Tiago and Tata.
Some tips that i want to give for managing the AMC.
1. Download the app TMSC which has log of all the visits to service center and work done.
2. Clearly note down your complaints, keep the track of the sheet for future reference. There are time when you need to approach the service for the same complaint. Keeping log of the issue can help build your case against SA (hope that is not required)
3. the app gets updated after every service ensure that whatever you had written in the jobsheet reflects on the app. Can be useful in future.
4. go to once service station
5. build relation with service advisor by giving him some tips or treat him with Tea/colddrink etc. Helps in building relation and remembering you. Better for long term association. (i am not encouraging bribing but suggesting you a way to build relationship)

I did not do any of these in the begining and have not been able to extract max jiuce out of my AMC and warranties. All these points I have learnt the hard way. You can implement these things if you are fine with it.

Problems I have faced so far:
  • The passenger side door open indicator not working
  • Gear shifting is not as smooth as I would have liked
Hi Arpit, Hearty congratulations on your Tiago ownership! Wish you millions of happy miles with the car. Your first two issues are minor but gear shifting is something you will have to get used to. I started using the side of the stick vs its head and that improved my slotting very much. And don't forget to share more pictures of your berry red [:)].

Congrats Arpit on your new Tiago. I really like the way the new Tiago looks. How do you feel about the fit and finish is it still like the Tatas of the yesteryear? Pardon my ignorance as its been a really long time since we have owned a Tata in the family.

Thread Starter #6

Congrats Arpit on your new Tiago. I really like the way the new Tiago looks. How do you feel about the fit and finish is it still like the Tatas of the yesteryear? Pardon my ignorance as its been a really long time since we have owned a Tata in the family.
I'm not very much aware of the previous products' fit and finish unfortunately, but Tiago is at par with the likes of Hyundai i10 and a lot better then Maruti Celerio, in terms of build quality. [:)]

arpitmehra
Congrats. It is raining Taigos ! I think Taigo's positive review on this forum and subsequent initial buyers’ positive feedback has spurred Taigo’s sales. Akash should demand his incentive cheque from TATA :-)

Congratulations Arpit Sir, enjoy your new ride. [thumbsup]
I must admit that you have great writing skills.
By the way, is it XT variant?

Please do share some pics.

I found the gearshifts to be smooth enough, maybe my driving experience is to be blamed.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new TATA Tiago. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.

Hi Arpit,

First of all Congrats on your New Car. Wish you more miles (Smiles) ahead.

I wish i had got the delivery of my car as yours (Booked on Jun 2nd and still waiting for delivery). Per SA they still need to get the car allotted to me in factory and they too don't know when it will happen [sad].

Regards
Gireesh Raj

Congrats Arpit on your Red Berry Tiago, color looks eye candy, a little more info on your purchase will benefit others, price, accessories etc.

Thread Starter #12

Congratulations Arpit Sir, enjoy your new ride. [thumbsup]
I must admit that you have great writing skills.
By the way, is it XT variant?

Please do share some pics.

I found the gearshifts to be smooth enough, maybe my driving experience is to be blamed.
Thanks Gautam [:)]. Yes, it is an XT variant (I should have mentioned it in the review). The gearshifts might be due to my driving skills too (which aren't great!), should die down hopefully in a few months.

Congrats Arpit on your Red Berry Tiago, color looks eye candy, a little more info on your purchase will benefit others, price, accessories etc.
Thank you sir. Will update the review with the said details.

Last edited:
Hey...friend....congrats...
Hi Arpit, Hearty congratulations on your Tiago ownership! Wish you millions of happy miles with the car. Your first two issues are minor but gear shifting is something you will have to get used to. I started using the side of the stick vs its head and that improved my slotting very much. And don't forget to share more pictures of your berry red [:)]but i want cab in pune airport to shirdi taxi
I'm not very much aware of the previous products' fit and finish unfortunately, but Tiago is at par with the likes of Hyundai i10 and a lot better then Maruti Celerio, in terms of build quality. [:)]

congrats on your purchase. Be it the Nano or the safari,aria.. tata vechicles have some sort of the lively feel. Do not worry about those minor issues. petrol has outsold diesel tiago's, tata stepping into MSIL territory.

- Arpit

• Hi congratulations on the car and regarding the windshield washer I too faced the same. It's because of the return pipe from the water container which creates an air pocket. Try filling up the washer container and if it's full then the water should come out from the return pipe. You can identify the return as it's a clear thin pipe attached behind the cap. Try holding the inlet pipe and the return pipe towards the car body and or see in which position the container gets filled up. Once the washer container is full you will not face the intermittent operation.

Top Bottom