Another New Girl in Town: My Blacky & Loudy Yamaha YZF-R1 (Pre-owned)

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,

Some of you guys may remember me by my previous thread

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...k-sexy-hyundai-fluidic-verna-1-6-vtvt-sx.html

I still love my car and its still a beauty but by time and work etc I couldn’t update my thread. But now I’m back with a new Love. Hope you like it.

The first sport liked in childhood was SBK racing and the first thing fall in love with was SuperBikes. Don’t know why, thought it’s something different than everything else in the world, its not a sports everyone likes, its not something everyone can handle, its not everyone’s choice. It was a love in my soul but only stored hidden in my PC, tons of wallpapers and pictures, that’s all. And the love forgotten by time and engaged with life. [What I’m trying to say, you know our culture, parents, married life, everyone says speedy bike is risky. No one agrees for it etc] And when the age gone I could really enjoy it, suddenly from nowhere the dream girl came out in my life out of my imagination.

********************************************* The 1000CC SuperSports YAMAHA YZF R-1 *********************************************

EDIT: # Buying Experience:
Its been around a year I was planning for a superbike but as you all know these superbikes new costs in India around 18L to 20L and you can afford a Luxury Car at this price which would be more useful (According to my thinking). What I mean due to the import tax etc, these CBU bikes costs excessively than other country, Like in US these costs around $12K to $16k which is around 8L to 10L in INR, and that is not worthful. (Thanks to our Government though) I started searching and my dream was a 1000CC Supersoprts Superbike, not a Tourer, Sports Tourer, Necked Street bike, Neither semi-necked etc. And started reviewing to short list a bike.

Kawasaki Z800:
At the end, I choose Kawasaki Z800. It was within my budget but not the best liked, also it is heavier in weight than others in that segment and got some feedback from its user that its difficult to handle at short turn radius in slow speed. I visit Kawasaki showroom but couldn’t take a test driven due to lack of time, I seated on the bike and start the engine, the four cylinder smooth sound was awesome and sweet. But found the seat height is very high, my height is around 5F 8” and I couldn’t touch my feet completely at the ground, I could barely touch half of my both feet. Handling a heavier bike at this seat height is difficult and risky in traffic. So keep Z800 as optional and started searching again.

Kawasaki Z1000:
In the necked segment, I liked its design and looks best and all time thinking about it. But it was a nacked and it has no traction control which Ninja 1000 has at the same price.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000:
Then short-listed Ninja 1000. Liked the bike and its features were cool, it’s a perfect bike for touring or long run and engine is sweet. In both Z1000 and Ninja 1000 from top to button and its every design is my favorite. The bikes looks best with it two OEM saddle box. In few countries like US its comes with the bike by default but in India its not, you have to buy it separately which cost around 50k. 50k for two plastic box? Then its seating position is complete upright like the regular bikes on road. I mean its good but it could have been better if it has little more sporty seating position. Still kept it on the hot list. Also the better part was in 2016 Kawasaki launched upgrades all its bikes, so I had a good point that I will get a recent manufactured machine.

Ducati panigale 959:
Ducati, it’s a dream brand since my childhood and always its nature and style kept it separate from all others (in my view). Fortunately during my search Ducati lunched its new Panigale 959 which was upgraded from Panigale 899. I really likes the bike, it looks sexy but couldn’t check the bike physically as no dealer in my state/city, just saw it over internet and talk to Delhi Dealer, its price is almost same as Ninja 1000 or one lack extra onroad and delivery starting from August. They promised they will ship it at their responsibility. But after sales service? They said if I bare traveling expenses, they would send their mechanics for servicing etc. But could faith on after sales service. Also I didn’t know its not a four cylinder, later heard the V-Twin engine sound and didn’t like it. So removed it from the list.

A pre owned bike:
My primary choice was a new bike, I/we in our family never went for pre-owned cars/bikes as without a known person or knows vehicle its not possible to know its past history. Still this time on the other hand I considered a pre-owned bike due to my budget and if I get a good deal. Then beside a new one, I was looking over internet. Got many deals but all of them were other state registered. I was looking for specifically my state registered bike due to cops, legal's etc. Get one R1 in my city and went to check, the bike was fine but the papers were incorrect also at the garage I saw some major replaced parts like fuel tank, front wheel parts etc. Then came to know from the owner it has an recent accident. Drop the deal and after few months somehow came to know the bike had a so major accident in past, it was sold as wreckage. This is why I was scared about a pre-owned stuff.

Then got another Yamaha R1 deal somehow by chance and luckily this time the owner was like a known person and the bike is in my state registered and everything was in proper state and brought it. The bike was very well maintained and ran few thousands km and all stock, which I was looking. I brought it on 31 July and the bike was in Orissa, which is around 470km away from my home. Before leaving, I planned everything and I took my car to bring it home. When coming back the 470km run was a fun at the start, views and curiosity from the people on road feels awesome but it ended pretty painful. Rains, storms, bad weather, whole night riding and it took over 10hours but reach home safely at dawn. Since last 5 years I stopped long bike rides, only short city rides under 5km and physically I am not a professional SBK rider. First time drove above 150cc liter class bike for this long.

This is may be off topic but still speaking to share my experience. While researching to choose a perfect bike for me, I started few threads to get idea and information in the India’s most popular biking community Xbhp (mods: if speaking about another community is not acceptable then please remove this section) had a very bad experience, only one out of ten people gave correct feedback and most of others started criticize and debating on useless topics without answering my questions.

Like: Do you know superbike service cost? Do you have experience to drive a liter class? Do you know in your state you wont get any roads to use its full power. You drive a 150cc hunk and you want to drive a literclass? You should increase the power gradually, like 1st 300cc, then 650cc then a literclass. You had decided Z800 and you’re asking about another bike? Etc etc I answered at the last “If I know nothing then why I’m researching?”

Thanks god and stopped using it completely.

DSC_0468 (2).jpg

IMG-20160716-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20160716-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20160731-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another New Girl in Town - My Blacky & Loudy Yamaha YZF-R1 (Pre-owned)

Congrats for your new Acquisition - Post more pics of that - Any Go Pro video so far ? Please post that too...with Engine sound.

Wish you unlimited happy / safe miles in that machine.

A Word of caution :-

R1 is a beauty itself but also a beast too - If you plan to ride regularly please invest in Full Body protection suite / armer - Need protection from Head to Toe - Not like these as in the picture. Unless you always ride at Splender Speed, A slight wobble / parallel slope in road surface can land you in some undesired situation, there pair gloves and Helmet is far less than what is required in terms of protection.

Last edited:
Re: Another New Girl in Town - My Blacky & Loudy Yamaha YZF-R1 (Pre-owned)

HI,

Congratulations on your new superbike [clap]. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues. Drive safe and plant happy memories with the bike and yes, do keep the thread updated time to time.

Like @Arijitb said, do invest in protection grear. [:D]

Thread Starter #4
Congrats for your new Acquisition - Post more pics of that - Any Go Pro video so far ? Please post that too...with Engine sound.

Wish you unlimited happy / safe miles in that machine.

A Word of caution :-

R1 is a beauty itself but also a beast too - If you plan to ride regularly please invest in Full Body protection suite / armer - Need protection from Head to Toe - Not like these as in the picture. Unless you always ride at Splender Speed, A slight wobble / parallel slope in road surface can land you in some undesired situation, there pair gloves and Helmet is far less than what is required in terms of protection.
Hi Bro,

Thank you for your reply and feedback. No gopro video so far but I will get one soon. It has a LeoVince exhaust and its sounds awesome.

Yes bro it’s a beauty by looks but honestly I was not surprised by the engine smoothness, I know all Yamaha engines are not meant to be smooth, they are aggressive. I checked Kawasaki 4 cylinder bikes and they are outstanding smooth.

Regarding the picture and my gears, the story is long. In short, I live in Kolkata and the bike was in Orissa, I went there to check the bike and didn’t take any gears except gloves and helmets as I was not sure the deal will be final. I drove 470km to bring it home. Before getting this bike I studied a lot about superbikes and get enough experience virtually. Also I’m 32 years old and very sincere driver, my 1st car was a Maruti 800 and driving it since last 13 years then got Verna and got the experience of shifting from 800CC to 1600CC. I took the bike and did not underestimate its power. During the ride I did not go over 100kmph.

HI,

Congratulations on your new superbike [clap]. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues. Drive safe and plant happy memories with the bike and yes, do keep the thread updated time to time.

Like @Arijitb said, do invest in protection grear. [:D]
Thanks krishna, yes I will get all gears shortly. Basically in my city or in India riding gears are cost excessively with no reason. If you ask for a tank pad for a superbike the 200price things goes to 2000. I’ve chosen Alpinestars T-GP Pro Textile Jacket from Revzilla.com and others gears too, I’ve family leaves in US so waiting for them coming here.

Top Bottom